Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Closely-spaced ratios = quicker shift?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Closely-spaced ratios = quicker shift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 12:46 AM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
For the overall question, IMO the need for tighter ratios only shows up when riding fast with a group. On your own or with cadences < 85 or so it doesn't matter.
I guess most would agree with you, since I see so many folks rocking way wider ratios than they need, as if there's no cost to it.

But my preference has always been to sacrifice high and low gears I'll rarely if ever need for ones in the middle of the range I'll use all the time to get my cadence in the narrow band I prefer.

I'm not sure how much of this is down to being weak and lazy, and how much is down to my historically utilitarian use case, involving the extra drag of street clothes. Although these days I'm in Lycra, but I still prefer the close ratios...

Another reason to go as close as you dare, is that since you're far less likely to spend most of your time on one or two cogs, wear will be spread further across the cassette, increasing its life.

If triples were still a thing, we could have our cake and eat it too, but noo, suddenly everyone's hating on front derailers, when they've never worked better. If a Di2 triple was released, I'd buy it tomorrow, and hang the expense.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 03-09-21, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I guess most would agree with you, since I see so many folks rocking way wider ratios than they need, as if there's no cost to it.

But my preference has always been to sacrifice high and low gears I'll rarely if ever need for ones in the middle of the range I'll use all the time to get my cadence in the narrow band I prefer.

I'm not sure how much of this is down to being weak and lazy, and how much is down to my historically utilitarian use case, involving the extra drag of street clothes. Although these days I'm in Lycra, but I still prefer the close ratios...

Another reason to go as close as you dare, is that since you're far less likely to spend most of your time on one or two cogs, wear will be spread further across the cassette, increasing its life.

If triples were still a thing, we could have our cake and eat it too, but noo, suddenly everyone's hating on front derailers, when they've never worked better. If a Di2 triple was released, I'd buy it tomorrow, and hang the expense.

It also depends on the terrain- the flatter it is, the more close gaps matter. Where I live, there is little flat, & when jumping in & out of 10% grades, one tooth shifts just get in the way.
Old 03-09-21, 05:57 AM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Here's me, just got a DA crank, thinking, hmm, 14-28 with 55/42 for super close ratios... wonder if my FD hanger can accommodate that puppy.
Old 03-09-21, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Ha. I just put a 46/30 and an 11/36 on the cross bike, and been running 48/34 w/11/34 on the road bike.
Old 03-09-21, 10:43 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
Here's me, just got a DA crank, thinking, hmm, 14-28 with 55/42 for super close ratios... wonder if my FD hanger can accommodate that puppy.
I would think so

Old 03-10-21, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Because you are making a compromise. if you want to be able to ride up that 20% grade or what ever grade is difficult for you, then you can't just have one tooth gaps from 11th to 1st gear. At some point you have to accept more than one tooth gaps and the potential of ever so slightly worse shifting or drastic change in gear ratios.

Unless of course you have say maybe a 32 speed rear.

(I pulled 32 out of my ...... so don't dwell on that specifically)
Okay, I think I get it. You were speaking of fit, right? If so, then I misunderstood your original point. When you said, "you can do with many more teeth between cogs", for some reason I read it as, "it would be better if you had more space between cogs", even though you used the word "teeth." So I started wondering why it was better. But all you were saying was that it's something that has to happen because you can't have an unlimited amount of cogs that fit your frame.
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
It is simply math. On the small end of the cassette, a single tooth makes a big difference, e.g., 12/11 = 1.0909. This means you have to increase your cadence by about 9 percent to maintain the same speed after shifting from the 11T to the 12T cog. This differential decreases as you move toward the big end of the cassette, e.g., 13/12 = 1.0833, 14/13 = 1.0769, etc. At some point it becomes pretty small, e.g., 19/18 = 1.0556, so it makes sense to have a two teeth jump. At the big end of the cassette, where one is generally climbing and thus going slower, one can tolerate a bigger, multiple teeth jump in order to have a bigger mechanical advantage to climb steeper slopes, i.e., a bail out gear. For example, the 7 speed cassette on my wife's cruiser bike has two teeth jumps throughout except the largest cog is 10 teeth larger than the next largest cog. But she never uses it.
Thanks for breaking this down. I don't know why I find this information so interesting, seeing as how it's more than likely useless information (or perhaps a negligible experience) for a non-racer, but it still intrigues the hell out of me for some reason.
Originally Posted by socalrider
If you want to do the deeper dive you can use the Sheldon grown gear calculator and you can see where the overlaps are from big to small ring. If I have a very flat ride - I will put on a 12-23 cassette which gives me a super tight shifting ratio. If I am climbing then I opt for a 12-27 or even 13-29 cassette - depending on how many climbs are over 10% grade. If you are using Shimano or Sram - you do not need to buy Dura Ace / opt for Ultegra or even 105 cassettes to save you money. The other thing is that many do not really need an 11 cog - start your cassettes with a 12 or even 13 if you are climbing a lot those days.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
Thanks. I'll add yours to the list. Iride provided one above as well.
Old 03-10-21, 01:29 AM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Ataylor
I don't know why I find this information so interesting, seeing as how it's more than likely useless information (or perhaps a negligible experience) for a non-racer, but it still intrigues the hell out of me for some reason.
To the contrary, it is equally, if not more important, to recreational riders. The professionals are phenomenal athletes with broad power bands (i.e., they can efficiently generate power at a wider range of cadences) and thus tolerate bigger changes in gear ratios between shifts. I am weak and have a narrow power band, so I need all the optimization I can get (within reasonable costs), even though I am not racing anyone.
Old 03-10-21, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
To the contrary, it is equally, if not more important, to recreational riders. The professionals are phenomenal athletes with broad power bands (i.e., they can efficiently generate power at a wider range of cadences) and thus tolerate bigger changes in gear ratios between shifts. I am weak and have a narrow power band, so I need all the optimization I can get (within reasonable costs), even though I am not racing anyone.
Really? I mean based off of what some people said in this thread (it may have just been one person), it seemed as though the difference wasn't something to write home about unless you were racing or in fast-paced group rides. Pretty sure I read this elsewhere, too, though. But if recreational riders (of which I am one) can actually benefit and feel a noticeable difference with closer spacing, then I'm all in.

That said, I decided to go with the 11/28 for now. I'm going to test that out, see which cogs I spend the most time in and then perhaps jump to another cassette if need be. Two that I have in mind are the 14/28 (that was kindly suggested by jaxgtr above) and then potentially a 12/25, which gives me the 12 and 13 cogs and also has the least amount of spacing after the 14/28. Of course I'd be sacrificing everything beyond 25, but that's just something I'm going to have to see if I really need or not after everything's installed.

Last edited by Ataylor; 03-10-21 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-10-21, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 414 Posts
yes. next question.
Old 03-10-21, 06:17 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Really? I mean based off of what some people said in this thread (it may have just been one person), it seemed as though the difference wasn't something to write home about unless you were racing or in fast-paced group rides. Pretty sure I read this elsewhere, too, though. But if recreational riders (of which I am one) can actually benefit and feel a noticeable difference with closer spacing, then I'm all in.
Anyone would notice the difference between small and large gearing jumps - it's pretty obvious - but I don't think it's terribly important unless you're exerting yourself at/close to your max capacity for a given duration. IOW, pedaling at 70 rpm at 65% ftp is no problem. At 110% ftp, though, you might have some issues if you're straddling a gap that sees, for instance, 95rpm on one cog (putting more strain on your legs) and 110 on the next (putting more strain on your cardiovascular).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-21, 06:19 AM

Okay, I think I get it.
Have a look at the graph in this thread, and my discussions with folks asking me why fix what allegedly ain't broke.

Half-step triple, using double parts

I reckon I was well-suited to sniffing out efficiency by wanting to ride fast in street clothes without raising a sweat...

Here's another interesting graph:

RPM vs km/h, red: 53/39x12-23, blue: my setup

Last edited by Kimmo; 03-10-21 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-10-21, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Shimano recomends keeping the difference within 16 teeth.
Old 03-10-21, 11:43 AM

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
53/39 12/25 11sp D/A all the way! I just love dropping the compacts on fast downhill rollers. This was the standard for like forever and I guess I'm too old to change.
Old 03-10-21, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't mean this as snarky or sarcastic. If you can't feel the difference between a tight and a wide cassette, you should be on a single speed. The only reason we take on the weight, complexity, and maintenance of having derailleurs and multiple gears is because they make it easier to ride the bike.

The reason everybody doesn't agree on which is better is because (1) it comes down to what you like, and (2) we all ride in different kinds of places. You want different gear setups for flat places and hilly places, and for how fit you are and how fast you want to go.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-10-21, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62
Shimano recomends keeping the difference within 16 teeth.
Yeah, and...?
Old 03-10-21, 03:48 PM
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Anyone would notice the difference between small and large gearing jumps - it's pretty obvious - but I don't think it's terribly important unless you're exerting yourself at/close to your max capacity for a given duration. IOW, pedaling at 70 rpm at 65% ftp is no problem. At 110% ftp, though, you might have some issues if you're straddling a gap that sees, for instance, 95rpm on one cog (putting more strain on your legs) and 110 on the next (putting more strain on your cardiovascular).
This is exactly it. I am fairly weak, so I am almost always exerting myself, unless the scenery is really pretty. However, I am hardly the only one who laments the absence of the 16T cog in the Shimano 11-28 cassettes, and many others praise SRAM for including a 16T cog in its 11-28 cassette at the expense of bigger jumps at the big end of the cassette.

11T, 12T, 13T, 14T, 15T, 17T, 19T, 21T, 23T, 25T, 28T [Shimano]
11T, 12T, 13T, 14T, 15T, 16T, 17T, 19T, 22T, 25T, 28T [SRAM]
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-10-21, 03:52 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
However, I am hardly the only one who laments the absence of the 16T cog in the Shimano 11-28 cassettes, and many others praise SRAM for including a 16T cog in its 11-28 cassette at the expense of bigger jumps at the big end of the cassette.
This is why I've stuck with the 12-25t - the 11t and 28t would be nice at times, but not if it means giving up the 16t.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-21, 03:58 PM

That cassette should be 11,12,13,14,15,16,18,20,22,25,28 IMO. Bet it's not a thing because some crap reason like the extra expense of making 18 and 20.
Old 03-10-21, 04:26 PM
Method to My Madness

That said, I decided to go with the 11/28 for now. I'm going to test that out, see which cogs I spend the most time in and then perhaps jump to another cassette if need be. Two that I have in mind are the 14/28 (that was kindly suggested by jaxgtr above) and then potentially a 12/25, which gives me the 12 and 13 cogs and also has the least amount of spacing after the 14/28. Of course I'd be sacrificing everything beyond 25, but that's just something I'm going to have to see if I really need or not after everything's installed.
The 11-28 cassette was previously the standard setup prior to the current standard setup of having a 11-32 cassette. One common way to pick a cassette (at least without buying multiple) is to just ride everywhere you usually go on your current cassette to find the smallest and largest cogs you use, then buy a cassette that ranges from that smallest cog to a cog that is one size larger than that largest cog.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 03-10-21 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 04:35 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
3x fronts also dominated when the 11-28 and 11-26 were supreme. But many strong cyclists can still run them with a 2x for their cycling conditions.
Old 03-10-21, 04:42 PM

The best way to pick a cassette
This assumes there's no disagreement over criteria.

I submit in contrast to yours, that rather than going wider than necessary, one might choose to skip the rarely-used extremes in favour of more choices 98% of the time, which also avoids making wear hot spots in the cassette.
Old 03-10-21, 04:43 PM
Method to My Madness

This assumes there's no disagreement over criteria.

I submit in contrast to yours, that rather than going wider than necessary, one might choose to skip the rarely-used extremes in favour of more choices 98% of the time, which also avoids wear hot spots in the cassette.
Sorry, that was indeed a bit presumptuous on my part. Please allow me to amend that to "one common way" ...

And I did follow the way you described to settle on a 12-25 cassette. Once in a while I wish it had a 28T instead of the 18T cog.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 03-10-21 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 04:47 PM

Never mind that bit you missed - how do you reckon my criteria stack up next to yours?

Do you want spare gears you never use, or more gears that get used?
Old 03-10-21, 04:50 PM
Method to My Madness

Do you want spare gears you never use, or more gears that get used?
On the small end of the cassette, I would to try to avoid spare gears. On the big end of the cassette, I would like one spare gear (e.g., 28T) that is used sparingly.
Old 03-10-21, 04:54 PM

I totally get wanting a bailout, which is why I hate the demise of triples. Lucky for me it's flat round my way.

What I don't get, is mandatory 11s, it's just dumb. If I have a 53t, I might not want anything smaller than a 13t, you know - I mean how often do those speeds come up, and these days I'm not sure I even still have the balls.

And I don't want to use smaller chainrings - they're less efficient, I'm pretty sure they cause more wear, and they make the ratios wider.

Oh, and they look crap.

BAM! 39/53 all the way. At least until Shimano picks up my 38/50/52 idea...

Last edited by Kimmo; 03-10-21 at 05:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.