Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Technical questions for the retro grouches on here

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Technical questions for the retro grouches on here

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 11:42 AM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked 1,523 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Miata?
Manual Miata has to be special ordered; almost no dealers stock them.
Old 04-12-24, 11:56 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,550 Times in 1,867 Posts
If I had the money (for the complete rebuild/restoration/whatever) I could buy any car from the past ..... A Dino 246, and Porsche 916/6, a Miata or a a boattail Alfa, or whatever I could imagine .... I could find a Tipo 61 Maserati Birdcage and have it built for street use .... the registration hassles would cost more than most modern cars and the insurance more than most houses ... and parts and labor?

I could buy any old Chevron sports racer and have it made streetable ... or I could have a little car built to order ... sort of a D-Sports Racer tuned for street use .... I dreamed of (and drew up in whatever detail i could) a rotary-enigned mid-engined car like that ... or an old MR2 .... The cheapest and most reliable might be one of those modern Lotus 7 clones .... but at my age in (lack of) income level, and the need for reliability more than excitement ... buying a modern factory-built automobile is all that makes sense.

Of course, if I can keep my wife from setting fire to it, I might keep my 2004 Civic alive for another decade. Any major systems breakdown there, though, and I have to question whether that beautiful 5-speed would be worth the fight with my wife.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-12-24, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4521 Post(s)
Liked 5,022 Times in 3,102 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
or any car with a manual for that matter or being able to lock with a small key that you can take surfing or kayaking. Keeping my 2014 A4 6 speed as long as i can for those features
It’s all about demand. There are still loads of new manual cars available in Europe.
Old 04-12-24, 12:03 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 2,878 Times in 1,570 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
If I had the money (for the complete rebuild/restoration/whatever) I could buy any car from the past ..... A Dino 246, and Porsche 916/6, a Miata or a a boattail Alfa, or whatever I could imagine .... I could find a Tipo 61 Maserati Birdcage and have it built for street use .... the registration hassles would cost more than most modern cars and the insurance more than most houses ... and parts and labor?

I could buy any old Chevron sports racer and have it made streetable ... or I could have a little car built to order ... sort of a D-Sports Racer tuned for street use .... I dreamed of (and drew up in whatever detail i could) a rotary-enigned mid-engined car like that ... or an old MR2 .... The cheapest and most reliable might be one of those modern Lotus 7 clones .... but at my age in (lack of) income level, and the need for reliability more than excitement ... buying a modern factory-built automobile is all that makes sense.

Of course, if I can keep my wife from setting fire to it, I might keep my 2004 Civic alive for another decade. Any major systems breakdown there, though, and I have to question whether that beautiful 5-speed would be worth the fight with my wife.
Replace with a civic r (six speed) https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-type-r

honey I am just replacing the civic with a civic. Cost...cough cough....so not bad

Old 04-12-24, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3997 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 3,010 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Makes sense, since the demand is low.
Old 04-12-24, 03:38 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,550 Times in 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Replace with a civic r (six speed) https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-type-r

honey I am just replacing the civic with a civic. Cost...cough cough....so not bad
Wow ... It is exceedingly ugly but "practical" ... "Look, wife, it is a four-door sedan for carrying more people!" Going now to scope out auto magazine performance test data.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-12-24, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Sad. But, my daughter got a screaming deal on a Subaru with a manual transmission because it had sat on the lot for so long.

Someday she will be the proud owner of a 1966 Alfa Romeo Guila Super with a 5-speed transmission.
Old 04-12-24, 10:39 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Okay since this is now a car thread, I'm closing this.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind: