Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2016 Post Your Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Megathread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2016 Post Your Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 10:11 AM
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
cork, imo
I use cork grips on my Steamroller and have a spare pair laying around... Though I'm not sure I'd like them on this bike. I suppose I could try them out.
Old 04-04-16, 10:35 AM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
I really appreciate this advice. I admit that I don't really like the grips that are on there, but hadn't really put in the thought as to what to do about them. I am in the process of building another bike, and got stuck on deciding which grips to choose for that thing as well. I like your recommendation, and will get a brown pair of cruiser grips for the Wabi and a black pair for this new thing. (Coincidentally, I had been admiring the handlebar setup of your Pigeon only an hour ago.)

Thanks.
The '70s Disco Pimp Glitter didn't offend?

Those Kraton rubber grips are inexpensive and really high quality rubber. I'm not a fan of soft grips like OURYs because they tend to cause a subconscious "need" to squeeze the bar more tightly than what's really needed, resulting in pump and fatigue. For me the Kratons are the right balance between soft and firm. The contact surface is soft but the core is rigid and strong. The contact surface is tacky too, so that encourages an even more relaxed grip.
Old 04-04-16, 10:40 AM
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I use cork grips on my Steamroller and have a spare pair laying around... Though I'm not sure I'd like them on this bike. I suppose I could try them out.
shellac these ones and theyl match better and be a little different from the surly
Old 04-04-16, 10:54 AM
Catastrophe Merchant

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
The '70s Disco Pimp Glitter didn't offend?
I love your bikes.

I'm not a fan of soft grips like OURYs because they tend to cause a subconscious "need" to squeeze the bar more tightly than what's really needed, resulting in pump and fatigue.
This is my primary problem with the Oury grips (that, and I think they are kinda dumb looking). I was getting some numbness in the fingers of my left hand after riding this bike for a few hours, a condition that I isolated to the superfluous squeezing that these grips invite. Since becoming aware of the issue and adjusting the way I hang on to the bicycle the problem has vanished, though having grips that I have to be vigilant around is annoying, and so I desire difference.

I don't like slender grips, however, which really limits the possibilities. (I was just making my own grips for a while.) These Kraton guys will likely be a good fit... I remember liking them when I was younger.
Old 04-04-16, 11:00 AM
Catastrophe Merchant

shellac these ones and theyl match better and be a little different from the surly
The problem is that the cork grips are kinda slippery, which is fine on my super-relaxed Steamroller with nerd bars and a basket, but I tend to go fast on this bike which would likely have me feeling uncomfortable with the cork. Though I could be wrong, and I already have the grips, so I might give it a try for a few days while I wait for the Kratons to come in. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-04-16, 11:10 AM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I love your bikes.
Thanks!

This is my primary problem with the Oury grips (that, and I think they are kinda dumb looking). I was getting some numbness in the fingers of my left hand after riding this bike for a few hours, a condition that I isolated to the superfluous squeezing that these grips invite. Since becoming aware of the issue and adjusting the way I hang on to the bicycle the problem has vanished, though having grips that I have to be vigilant around is annoying, and so I desire difference.

I don't like slender grips, however, which really limits the possibilities. (I was just making my own grips for a while.) These Kraton guys will likely be a good fit... I remember liking them when I was younger.
In the pics I provided, the first grip is quite round shaped and not slim. The second grip is bigger yet and shaped more rectangularly, similar to a pistol grip. The third version is round and quite slender, and my personal preference for that reason.

Arm pump ache, weakness, fatigue, numbness and tingling can also come from hand/wrist angles that don't agree with your joints. Personally, I can't ride bars that place my hands at a 90 degree angle to the top tube, nor bars that place them in line with the top tube. I have to have a bit of a sweep back and downward angle. Comfort is King, looks and aero be damned for me. This is why all my bikes eventually adopt a nerd set up.
Old 04-04-16, 11:24 AM
Brown Jersey Winner

The problem is that the cork grips are kinda slippery, which is fine on my super-relaxed Steamroller with nerd bars and a basket, but I tend to go fast on this bike which would likely have me feeling uncomfortable with the cork. Though I could be wrong, and I already have the grips, so I might give it a try for a few days while I wait for the Kratons to come in. Thanks for the inspiration.
glue dem jawns:
Old 04-04-16, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts
Probably belongs in townie thread but it is SS. Nashbar SS CX with VO bars and levers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
035.jpg (107.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-04-16, 11:52 AM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

glue dem jawns:
Holy neanderthal technique batman.
Old 04-04-16, 11:54 AM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by ggpepper
Probably belongs in townie thread but it is SS. Nashbar SS CX with VO bars and levers.
Killer grips man.
Old 04-04-16, 01:21 PM
Catastrophe Merchant

glue dem jawns
Ha. I meant my hands slip off of the grips, not the grips from the bars. That is the one thing I like about Ourys: I've never felt like I was losing my grip with them—an issue I seem to have with a lot of grips for some reason. I must have an excessive palm perspiration problem.

Arm pump ache, weakness, fatigue, numbness and tingling can also come from hand/wrist angles that don't agree with your joints. Personally, I can't ride bars that place my hands at a 90 degree angle to the top tube, nor bars that place them in line with the top tube. I have to have a bit of a sweep back and downward angle. Comfort is King, looks and aero be damned for me. This is why all my bikes eventually adopt a nerd set up.
My better mood/groceries bike is set up similar to that... Nice sweep and rise, much more upright and relaxed. I like it a lot—and I always find myself smiling at the world around me when I ride it—though there are times in the week when I need something more, um, 'therapeutic', and that is when I like myself to be slammed into the bicycle, ignoring the world around me.

The one thing that has not been fun in building this new bicycle is trying to figure out the stem & bars situation. I kinda gave up on the calculations and went with something I know, yet is likely suboptimal, and I am sure I will end up switching everything out after riding it around. I'm already thinking of trading the 4" riser with 9º of sweep for something like this. While I am relatively certain my finger numbness was the result of switching to the Oury grips (they are the solitary variable), I remain concerned about my wrists.

Last edited by ethet; 04-04-16 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 01:45 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I'm already thinking of trading the 4" riser with 9º of sweep for something like this.
If you do, you may want to consider the On One Mary for comparison regarding angles, width, rise and sweep. If it meets your fit requirements I can tell that in it's 31.8mm clamp version, it is fantastically rigid. Light, high quality and inexpensive. I had them on my Chartreuse bike for a while and loved the bar itself, but I could never get the reach short enough.

What is the new build?

On-One Mary Handlebar | On - One
Old 04-04-16, 01:49 PM
Brown Jersey Winner

ive been told a single coat of shellac adds some tackiness, but ive never 'lac'd anything

the map bars kick ass! theyre stiff and have pretty much the perfect angle. my only wish is to make them wider, but then its basically a jones bar and i wouldnt be able to split lanes as easily
Old 04-04-16, 03:51 PM
Catastrophe Merchant

ive been told a single coat of shellac adds some tackiness, but ive never 'lac'd anything

the map bars kick ass! theyre stiff and have pretty much the perfect angle. my only wish is to make them wider, but then its basically a jones bar and i wouldnt be able to split lanes as easily
It is good to see a vote in favor of that bar... I think I like it from afar. Though it would be nice to try it out before dumping that much money into a handlebar hope. I'll be in Milwaukee soon, I'll stop by that shop if my bar requirements have still not been met at that time.

I've never shellacked anything either, and never will, for reasons that would likely irritate you

If you do, you may want to consider the On One Mary for comparison regarding angles, width, rise and sweep.
That is an interesting option, certainly, especially as this project has already spiraled out of control. Thank you for the pointer... I kinda like that thing.

What is the new build?
I am building a bicycle that is completely out of character for me, based upon a frame which is far more aggressive than anything I've ever ridden, though this project has become somewhat cathartic. Though, in full disclosure, the only thing I have at the moment is the chain:

Old 04-04-16, 04:24 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I'll be in Milwaukee soon,
Where did I get the notion that you were in The Netherlands? Or somewhere in Europe? LOL at myself.

I am building a bicycle that is completely out of character for me, based upon a frame which is far more aggressive than anything I've ever ridden,
Is the frame set a secret or can you tell us what it is?
Old 04-04-16, 05:04 PM
Catastrophe Merchant

Is the frame set a secret or can you tell us what it is?
No, it isn't a secret, I just fear the oft-horrific condescension of this 'community' like the plague. I'm not sure why I care so much, but I do.

The frame is a G.O.A.T. Track. The Steamroller fork I got separately on eBay.
Old 04-04-16, 05:22 PM
Brown Jersey Winner

@Scrodzilla also loves his mappys, and i recall seeing at least one other rider here with them but i forget who it was now

i commute on them most of the week, and ive done a 160mi ride and a 50 mile 7000ft epic gravel climbfest on them. despite having one hand position (with my setup, without the bag you could have at least 3) my hands never get angry at me

Last edited by Mumonkan; 04-04-16 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 05:54 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I recently put a set of these Constructeur grips on one of my bikes an have been happy with them.
Old 04-04-16, 06:14 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

No, it isn't a secret, I just fear the oft-horrific condescension of this 'community' like the plague. I'm not sure why I care so much, but I do.

The frame is a G.O.A.T. Track. The Steamroller fork I got separately on eBay.
Interesting. Are you going to build it raw or paint it?
Old 04-04-16, 06:15 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by kingston
I recently put a set of these Constructeur grips on one of my bikes an have been happy with them.
Available in GUM. I'd kill for a pair of standard shaped (finger notches) grips in gum.
Old 04-04-16, 06:41 PM
Brown Jersey Winner

really? id think it would be hard to find colors that arent gum
Old 04-04-16, 06:59 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

really? id think it would be hard to find colors that arent gum
Dude. Black, blue, red, orange, yellow, purple, pink, white, silver, green, brown, and the first ten are also available in "sparkle".

21 colors, no gum/natural.

Gum would match my Brooks Honey saddle and tape. It would be too perfect.

Every time I see the grips below I have the urge to build a bike just so I can use them. Like a 29er BMX bike with all black bits.

Old 04-04-16, 07:16 PM
Brown Jersey Winner

pink grips would require tassles. no way around that

Dude. Black, blue, red, orange, yellow, purple, pink, white, silver, green, brown, and the first ten are also available in "sparkle".

21 colors, no gum/natural.

Old 04-04-16, 07:26 PM

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an incredibly ****ty pic of my bike with the Mavic 355 pursuits. At first I hated being so low but now I'm kinda liking it and I certainly feel faster. Gonne get some yellow cloth tape tomorrow, hopefully. Yeah, I know, I gotta adjust the bar angle, they're slightly pointed up and it pisses me off every time I look at it.
Old 04-04-16, 07:49 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

pink grips would require tassles. no way around that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.