Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kent Eriksen titanium road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Kent Eriksen titanium road bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-23, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,426 Times in 2,987 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
ok I will play

Carbon fiber is a popular material for bicycle forks due to several advantages:
Those are all well know general properties of carbon fiber. But, it doesn't answer the question of why you would use carbon forks if you're using titanium for the rest of the frame (and other components). Why build a titanium frame with titanium stem, seat post, cages, etc but not use a titanium fork?
Old 10-15-23, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4492 Post(s)
Liked 4,964 Times in 3,069 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Those are all well know general properties of carbon fiber. But, it doesn't answer the question of why you would use carbon forks if you're using titanium for the rest of the frame (and other components). Why build a titanium frame with titanium stem, seat post, cages, etc but not use a titanium fork?
I've often wondered about this too. It seems a bit odd.
Old 10-15-23, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked 3,010 Times in 1,712 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've often wondered about this too. It seems a bit odd.
The first titanium bikes were (generally) supplied with titanium forks, but they (again generally) were built with the same dimensions as steel forks and were found to be too flexible for the application. Ti stems and handlebars developed a similar reputation, which is one reason you so seldom see either.

By the time Ti frame builders figured out that the dimensions of the Ti tubing for forks (as well as frames) could be manipulated to achieve sufficient stiffness, carbon forks had come into general acceptance for bike frames built with steel and aluminum as well as carbon.

After all, supplying carbon forks with their Ti frames represented an easy profit while saving hours of work in building a Ti fork that would necessarily cost more and weigh more.

By the way, I've never noticed any difference in shock absorption or comfort among the forks on my bikes, including steel, carbon, and aluminum forks---no difference that can't be attributed to to differences in wheelbase, anyway. If anyone can link to a pertinent report or a video supporting the claim that carbon forks are built to be more shock-absorptive than forks built from other materials, I'd love to see the evidence.
Old 10-15-23, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7061 Post(s)
Liked 11,122 Times in 4,749 Posts
General question: why don’t they put Ti forks on Ti bikes?
I know little about metallurgy, so someone might correct me...But I believe that titanium is not very stiff on an ounce-per-ounce basis, hence manufacturing a suitably stiff fork would require tubing that is relatively thick-walled and large diameter -- and it would probably weigh almost as much as a steel fork. Hence the common choice of a cf fork, which can be both lighter and more aero.
Old 10-15-23, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trakhak
After all, supplying carbon forks with their Ti frames represented an easy profit while saving hours of work in building a Ti fork that would necessarily cost more and weigh more.
Yes, but that's kind of weird logic. If the use of a carbon fork is based on increasing profit, reducing labor, and reducing weight, why would you build a titanium frame in the first place?
Old 10-15-23, 12:32 PM

Yes, but that's kind of weird logic. If the use of a carbon fork is based on increasing profit, reducing labor, and reducing weight, why would you build a titanium frame in the first place?
You'd build it because people continue to want to buy it, albeit in dwindling numbers.
Old 10-15-23, 01:02 PM

You'd build it because people continue to want to buy it, albeit in dwindling numbers.
Yes, I realize that. But, if people are willing to spend the money for a titanium frame and they aren't concerned about the weight, why would the extra cost and weight of a titanium fork be a problem?
Old 10-15-23, 02:24 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4759 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,007 Posts
Because all the Ti bits you mention are made with pretty straightforward tubing?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-15-23, 02:41 PM

Yes, I realize that. But, if people are willing to spend the money for a titanium frame and they aren't concerned about the weight, why would the extra cost and weight of a titanium fork be a problem?
I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, and yet people have generally been unwilling to pay for it, clearly. Maybe ti framebuilders talk customers out of going for ti forks for some other reason. Here's hoping someone who was on one side or the other of the purchase of a new titanium frame will weigh in on the topic.
Old 10-15-23, 06:45 PM

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, and yet people have generally been unwilling to pay for it, clearly. Maybe ti framebuilders talk customers out of going for ti forks for some other reason. Here's hoping someone who was on one side or the other of the purchase of a new titanium frame will weigh in on the topic.
Are people really unwilling to pay for titanium forks? I can't imagine someone dropping $17k on a high end Moots worrying about the extra cost of a Ti fork. There has to be a technical reason for it.
Old 10-15-23, 08:01 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Because all the Ti bits you mention are made with pretty straightforward tubing?
I also think this is it. Both the Ti frame and the aforementioned Ti components are made from tubes with more or less a constant cross-section.
Old 10-16-23, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 682 Posts
Are people really unwilling to pay for titanium forks? I can't imagine someone dropping $17k on a high end Moots worrying about the extra cost of a Ti fork. There has to be a technical reason for it.
Most likely because there would be no performance advantage over any of the other common materials most likely perform worse in every category. Since the main reason people purchase titanium bikes is aesthetic, titanium forks that would perform adequately end up looking hideous.
Old 10-16-23, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Most likely because there would be no performance advantage over any of the other common materials most likely perform worse in every category. Since the main reason people purchase titanium bikes is aesthetic, titanium forks that would perform adequately end up looking hideous.
Is that true? There’s no performance reason?
Old 10-16-23, 08:30 AM

The first titanium bikes were (generally) supplied with titanium forks, but they (again generally) were built with the same dimensions as steel forks and were found to be too flexible for the application. Ti stems and handlebars developed a similar reputation, which is one reason you so seldom see either.

By the time Ti frame builders figured out that the dimensions of the Ti tubing for forks (as well as frames) could be manipulated to achieve sufficient stiffness, carbon forks had come into general acceptance for bike frames built with steel and aluminum as well as carbon.

By the way, I've never noticed any difference in shock absorption or comfort among the forks on my bikes, including steel, carbon, and aluminum forks---no difference that can't be attributed to to differences in wheelbase, anyway. If anyone can link to a pertinent report or a video supporting the claim that carbon forks are built to be more shock-absorptive than forks built from other materials, I'd love to see the evidence.
I don't know about fork compliance, but carbon bars can definitely reduce road buzz. I've noticed this on both road and mountain bikes.
Old 10-17-23, 04:22 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3195 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,045 Posts
Caliwild regarding the Enve logo, you could get vinyl overlays to color-change the logo. There’s a shop called Bikingroots.com that does some impressive work like that, so maybe reaching out to them would be fruitful. Check their YouTube.

Alternately, but still in vinyl, you could do a cover-up of the logo in matte black to match the fork. With knifeless tape you could easily outline just the logo area or maybe outline the entire outer face of each leg and put the vinyl all the way from crown to dropout. It would be a more uniform look than just covering the logo area, and protective.

A brushed Ti vinyl logo color change would be super cool, though, IMO!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-17-23, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 290 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Curious what the geo sheet says for HT angle and fork rake and resulting trail on this one. Maybe just the photo's angle, but that HT looks pretty steep.
Here you go... Bingham still had the bike's geometry chart from when Eriksen built it...

Likes For Caliwild:
Old 10-18-23, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Here you go... Bingham still had the bike's geometry chart from when Eriksen built it...

So not very steep then.
Old 10-18-23, 06:32 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Yeah, not steep, but the front end is quite stubby, presumably designed for someone wanting a rather more upright riding position. So often, these kinds of high-end customs get built for old guys, since they have the means to pay for them, and so it's not uncommon to find such supernice bikes with extreme geometry like that.
Old 10-18-23, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, not steep, but the front end is quite stubby, presumably designed for someone wanting a rather more upright riding position. So often, these kinds of high-end customs get built for old guys, since they have the means to pay for them, and so it's not uncommon to find such supernice bikes with extreme geometry like that.
Yeah, exactly... which is why I liked this one so much. More and more, I've been liking bikes with more upright geo. Just a sign of getting older! Although, I do have a few bikes that are super racy, which I use for my shorter weekly rides.
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 10-18-23, 07:19 PM
Thread Killer

Caliwild Nothing— not style, trends, or aero optimization— trumps getting out and doin’ the do! The most absolutely cool cats I know are the folks in their 80s who still saddle up and ride. Knock on wood we both get there!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-24-23, 09:53 AM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I think Ti forks will be a bit flexy. Not sure I would want one over carbon. Well, I would not. I believe Kent was part of Moots for a while and then branched off to do his own thing.Nice looking frame for sure, and bike.
Old 10-24-23, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chandne
I think Ti forks will be a bit flexy. Not sure I would want one over carbon. Well, I would not. I believe Kent was part of Moots for a while and then branched off to do his own thing.Nice looking frame for sure, and bike.
Yeah, here is an interview with Eriksen:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/i...-kent-eriksen/

Bingham Built took over Eriksen Cycles in 2017:

https://binghambuiltbikes.com/the-builder/
Old 10-24-23, 12:21 PM

Update

My LBS said my bike should be ready to go on Friday... Stay tuned!
Old 10-24-23, 12:26 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
My LBS said my bike should be ready to go on Friday... Stay tuned!
What is your LBS doing to the bike? It looks complete, and you are only swapping the stems and adding bottle cages?
Old 10-24-23, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
What is your LBS doing to the bike? It looks complete, and you are only swapping the stems and adding bottle cages?
Stem, bar tape, wheel swap, and fine-turning di2... Older di2 needs a PC (I'm a Mac guy) and I stink at wrapping bar tape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.