Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's best out of lugged Italian steel?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's best out of lugged Italian steel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
My Master rides beautifully, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. It comes down to personal preference.

Old 06-04-18, 04:34 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
both bob jackson and mercian will build the frames out of whatever material i want. supposedly.
so the material question in kinda moot. and all steel have the same e-module as raw iron so stiffness of the material is kinda moot too. then we have diameters and angles. and then (with only those 2 parameters) its gets too complicated for any human to compute. so i have to go by recommendations. this one ride harsh and this one rides comfy etc etc etc....
you dismiss the good advice with detailed reason, so you have research/knowledge. This then means you also understand what one person likes, another will dislike. If i think a Neo Primato is snappy and quick to accelerate, another person might view it as unstable on descents with a harsh ride.

you chose some 1" quill fork frames. So to speak generally, since you didnt provide specs and its unreasonable to think we would all google each of those frames in detail, the quill stem frames will feel flexible compared to modern aluminum or carbon road bikes. You make like this or hate it- none of us would have a clue.

As already mentioned, find out the frame specs- what are the tubing diameters? What are the tubing butted thicknesses? How long are they? What are the frame angles in your size and do they match they style of riding you want to do?

you claim stiffness of the material is kinda moot due to all steel having the same e modulus as iron. I have no idea if thats accurate or not, but ...i couldn't disagree more with it being moot. Higher levels of tubing are able to be lighter while retaining strength. Larger diameter tubing is also able to be thinner while maintaining stiffness.

Maybe i am misunderstanding you?...
Old 06-04-18, 07:15 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I ride a Guru Sidero made with Colombus Spirit. With SRAM Red it's around 17 lb 14 oz with just pedals. You'd have to find one used but you won't be disappointed. Also Indy Fab and Ritchey are nice
Old 06-04-18, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I've owned the first three on your list, the Cinelli, Colnago, and DeRosa, all are superb bikes.

For myself, I like the Gios Compact Pro. The ride is a touch firmer than the Super Corsa, but about the same as the Master and Neo Primato. What I prefer about the Gios is the movable rear dropouts, which allow you to to change the wheel base distance, I've never ridden a sharper-handling bike. For the price, it's a very good frame.
Old 06-05-18, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
pegoretti

Or the Pegoretti design on cheap.

Giordana

I love all my steel lugged bikes but there's just something special about the feel of my Giordana XL when it's out on the road under me....magic!
Old 06-05-18, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Or the Pegoretti design on cheap.

Giordana

I love all my steel lugged bikes but there's just something special about the feel of my Giordana XL Super when it's out on the road under me....magic!

Old 06-06-18, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I'd ask in the Classic and Vintage forum, and see what responses you'd get there. If anyone knows their Italian steel frames, it's those folks.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/
Old 06-07-18, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm only interested in the in stock/off the peg frames. stuff that i can buy right now! that is in stock. customs i dont care about. sorry.
Why? If you only want "stock," your options are very limited. In fact, it seems fairly unrealistic. I don't believe I've ever seen more than one or two new lugged steel frames for sale on the floor (more likely in the window or high up on the wall) of a bike shop. Just because a model is featured on a maker's website as a standard doesn't mean you can just go to your local dealer and pick one up, or get it in your size any quicker or much cheaper than you can get made-to-measure in the color of your choice.
I'd seriously recommend considering the latter - it's not as big a deal as some imagine. Casati have an interesting lugged steel model: Casati Campionissimo Page. There are a few dealers. Maybe someone somewhere has one in stock, but if you don't want to do a LOT of digging, or consider the possibility of getting it shipped from overseas, you'll have to just take what you can get and forget about what brand or model anyone might suggest. You're really better off just ordering one from the factory. But if you want Italian, you better hurry and place your order, so you don't have to tack an extra month (August shut-down) on your wait time.
Old 06-09-18, 07:49 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
kbarch is right; while the companies may advertise their classic steel frames, actually finding one can be difficult. On the other hand, custom and semi-custom brands can deliver just what you want.

Torelli is a company making TIG welded and lugged steel frames using new Columbus tubing. You can pick your size, paint color, fork, etc. Worth a look

https://torelli.com
Old 06-14-18, 05:31 PM

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

And if you have the means, I highly recommend this other Italian...

That's not steel.
Old 06-14-18, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by lyrictenor1
That's not steel.
I am sure there is some steel some place in the Ferrari.

Even if there is none...it is red, it is a Ferrari and, above all, it is carrozzeria Italiana.
Old 06-15-18, 05:27 PM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
Pelizzoli

Old 06-15-18, 05:51 PM
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
Ciocc

Old 06-16-18, 04:10 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the market for a new frame. don't really need one but yet i need one somehow.
...I'm only interested in the in stock/off the peg frames. stuff that i can buy right now! that is in stock. customs i don't care about. sorry.
So, what have you found available to buy right now? And where are you located, by the way? I ask because the latest posting suggesting Ciocc reminded me of a shop in the city (NY - Chelsea Bicycles) that actually had an example of that (somewhat) obscure brand hanging up - not steel, but among some steel frames. Their website shows a very pretty Replica Carrera Pantani frame in size 56 and a few other steel examples, but although I know the shop is alive and kicking, it doesn't look like the website has been updated in a while.
Likewise, the shop I used to go to had a steel Bianchi. But that was a couple of years ago. My current shop has one, I think.
Old 07-09-18, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I agree with James here--Giordana made some pretty amazing frames. I'm currently riding a ton on this Giordana that was purchased as a team deal in the mid 1990s when I was racing. In two weeks I will be doing our State Games road race, masters category, on this bike. It's definitely a work in progress . . .
Old 07-09-18, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
After seeing what the OP did to that Colnago, I hope this thread gets locked down.

Don't give him any more ideas.
Old 07-09-18, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by threeteas
I agree with James here--Giordana made some pretty amazing frames. I'm currently riding a ton on this Giordana that was purchased as a team deal in the mid 1990s when I was racing. In two weeks I will be doing our State Games road race, masters category, on this bike. It's definitely a work in progress . . .
There you go, getting 'er done on the classic steel!

I took both of mine out for really nice rides this past week. Reminded me just how good they are compared to many of my other rides.

25 fun-filled miles on this 1989 Antares.

A little over 50 smooth fast miles on this one too. Never have nailed down the year but should be 96-97.
Old 07-10-18, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Where are you located? There is a bike shop just outside San Francisco that is currently specializing in high end steel bikes. PM me if you want the deatails.
Old 07-10-18, 04:12 PM

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
Where are you located? There is a bike shop just outside San Francisco that is currently specializing in high end steel bikes. PM me if you want the deatails.
I'm in northeren europe.

And as some of you may or may not have noticed i bought a lugged steel italian frame. A colnago master.
I got a master because of the simple fact that none and i mean NONE of the of the other brands were in stock anywhere in europe except cinelli and those were only in stock in colors i didnt want (wanted red).

all other makers and retailers had a 40-120 day delivery period.
F that S imo. But colango was available in my size and color right away. so a colnago it was! colnago obviously know a bit more about doing biz than the rest of the the bunch, and therefore have distributors with stock at hand for immediate delivery.

"you cant sell from an empty cart."

and thats how it works.

Old 07-10-18, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
congrats!
Old 07-10-18, 06:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in northeren europe.

And as some of you may or may not have noticed i bought a lugged steel italian frame. A colnago master.
I got a master because of the simple fact that none and i mean NONE of the of the other brands were in stock anywhere in europe except cinelli and those were only in stock in colors i didnt want (wanted red).

all other makers and retailers had a 40-120 day delivery period.
F that S imo. But colango was available in my size and color right away. so a colnago it was! colnago obviously know a bit more about doing biz than the rest of the the bunch, and therefore have distributors with stock at hand for immediate delivery.

edit add: I just saw that R&A has the same design/color in stock in size 54

"you cant sell from an empty cart."

and thats how it works.
Yes, I did notice, but didn't put two and two together. Should have figured Colnago dealers might have something in stock - they do seem to sell pretty well.
p.s. Just noticed that R&A has the same frame, same color in stock in size 54.