Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What makes a wheel fast?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What makes a wheel fast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-10, 12:46 AM

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice write-up, Carpediem.
Old 12-23-10, 01:03 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Don't laugh at me, please.
Too late.
Old 12-23-10, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mchacon01
i agree you explained it very well!
Old 12-23-10, 02:13 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even for races I'll use the Bastognes because the accelerate much easier. I use a lot of my reserves accelerating hard to counter attacks and just get out of a corner. I used my aero wheels for a few weeks but got totally shelled because the third or fourth super hard acceleration just killed me.

(When I used aero tubulars which are lighter and more aero than my clinchers, I did fine.)

So until you go really fast in a group (25-27 mph avg speed) heavy aero wheels seem to be a disadvantage. A steady state 25 mph to me screams aero wheel. Jumpy races which average 25-27+ mph scream aero tubulars.

The Bontragers you mention are carbon rimmed clinchers. They're extremely light. They will spin up very quickly, allowing you to accelerate with low perceived effort. If you don't use them all the time they'll feel really, really fast when you do use them. Until you hit about 35-40 mph. That's when they'll feel pretty sloggy. Aero wheels really come into play over 30 mph, and really at 35+ mph. Those slight downgrades when you want to move up in the group and the group is going 35-40 mph... aero wheels really help. Me, anyway, they help me.
umd likes his Reynolds 46mm tubulars. He has said he feels a big difference compared to his "regular" wheels even at slower speeds. But he does longer road races and spends more time trying to get into the break.

Like this race back in August:

Old 12-23-10, 04:33 AM

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kabex
There's lots of research on latex tubes online:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/re...-tube_435.html
One article does not constitute "lots", however I will save you the trouble of reading it:

"..in the lab should experience latex resulting in a reduction of rolling resistance from 1.4-5.6w. Rolling resistance should be higher on the road, and thus the savings greater. The cost of rolling resistance on the road could be 50w or more for a 200-pound person. Latex tubes can reduce that cost by 10-20%. "

10% of 50W is 5W, 20% of 50W is 10W === how did you get 20W out of that math, you should at very best use low end as real.

Next:

"We pumped up the tires and rode. We didn't notice the tubes making a performance difference, ... saving even 5w would be hard to measure on the road."

Enough said. All latex tubes will do for you as increase the probability you will get a flat.
Old 12-23-10, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by mchacon01
I think half the time he just steals stuff from that Sprinter della Casa blog

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-23-10, 07:01 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,005 Times in 1,783 Posts
Everybody loves to make fun of posters that comment on equipment making them better. Yet most riders pursue this very goal. What gives??

Oh, and yes when I get the money together for Rob to build me a set of wheels I do expect to see improvement. Otherwise why spend the money??
Old 12-23-10, 07:34 AM

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Everybody loves to make fun of posters that comment on equipment making them better. Yet most riders pursue this very goal. What gives??

Oh, and yes when I get the money together for Rob to build me a set of wheels I do expect to see improvement. Otherwise why spend the money??

It isn't a matter of making fun of. A very large percentage of these "My xxxxx equipment did xxxxxx miracle" are just not realistic. This is an internet forum, people come in read this and make the assumption it is true. The majority of it simply is not, why allow people to be misled? Further more shouldn't the origin of the information be guided to the truth?

Do you really expect to see an impressive difference from buying new wheels? Unless the wheels you currently ride have siezed bearings, are 20 lbs a piece, are badly warped, or out of round, you simply will notice a marginal or barely detectable difference. The bike may handle better, it may accelerate faster, but seriously... How much? How much of that do you think will actual translate to a big difference?

The real difference is the athlete, training, hard work, period.

If you look at my training data, my 20 yr old, 25 lb, Al frame beater is undetectable from my new 14 lb, top end Carbon. Sure they feel different, sure the newer one shifts like butter, feels great riding, but it is me on both, so MY data is the same plus or minus 2 to 5% depending on the day.
Old 12-23-10, 07:53 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

where do i begin with the slew of logical errors here?

improvement is not the same as improving speed. Why did i pick psimet? well, let's see: it's relatively light, BOMBPROOF, made using quality materials by a quality guy. Why are these improvements? Well, because for training, i rack up quite a bit of miles, and i'd like to be able to use quality wheels for at least a few seasons. The lightness is just the icing on the cake, but not the main goal itself.
Old 12-23-10, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Old 12-23-10, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I hate that he writes sensible stuff...where does he think he is?
Old 12-23-10, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I hate that he writes sensible stuff...where does he think he is?
Makes the rest of us look bad

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-23-10, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by JaceK
It isn't a matter of making fun of. A very large percentage of these "My xxxxx equipment did xxxxxx miracle" are just not realistic. This is an internet forum, people come in read this and make the assumption it is true. The majority of it simply is not, why allow people to be misled? Further more shouldn't the origin of the information be guided to the truth?

Do you really expect to see an impressive difference from buying new wheels? Unless the wheels you currently ride have siezed bearings, are 20 lbs a piece, are badly warped, or out of round, you simply will notice a marginal or barely detectable difference. The bike may handle better, it may accelerate faster, but seriously... How much? How much of that do you think will actual translate to a big difference?

The real difference is the athlete, training, hard work, period.

If you look at my training data, my 20 yr old, 25 lb, Al frame beater is undetectable from my new 14 lb, top end Carbon. Sure they feel different, sure the newer one shifts like butter, feels great riding, but it is me on both, so MY data is the same plus or minus 2 to 5% depending on the day.
Well I agree 100% with hard training being the most important. But I have my training logs that show almost a 2 mph avg improvement over a 20 mile loop I ride daily as a result of a bike switch. So it's pretty obvious that the right equipment for an individual can make a difference. Now before you scream BS lets qualify my statement. I think with the switch (cause by me Trek breaking) I just happened into a bike that fit me better for my purposes. A lighter wheelset was only part of the equation. But then again a few months after getting this I swapped out the old and original appearing tires for a set a Conti GP 4000s. Jump in avg mph again although this time only about .5 mph. All this based on a fairly flat 20 mile loop I was riding everyday.

So, I'm not saying equipment is the instant cure for all biking evils. But even if it gives you a placebo effect and makes you faster than hey I'm all for giving it credit. Who cares what really motivates you to go faster. If what you believe will make you faster does then why beat someone down for it?? If I give you a sugar pill, tell you it's pain meds, and your aches go away. Who cares that it was really your mind vs the pain pill??
Old 12-23-10, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
where do i begin with the slew of logical errors here?

improvement is not the same as improving speed. Why did i pick psimet? well, let's see: it's relatively light, BOMBPROOF, made using quality materials by a quality guy. Why are these improvements? Well, because for training, i rack up quite a bit of miles, and i'd like to be able to use quality wheels for at least a few seasons. The lightness is just the icing on the cake, but not the main goal itself.
What errors, those are the prett much the exact same improvements I'm looking for from my Psimet wheels. I never said in my post that my improvement was equated to speed. Although with a good 1.5 lb or so improvement over the current heave Bontragers I'm running I'm certain the mountains are going to be easier and thus a bit faster going up. Coming down my old age and fear of mortality will be the limiting factor, LOL!!
Old 12-23-10, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
So, I'm not saying equipment is the instant cure for all biking evils. But even if it gives you a placebo effect and makes you faster than hey I'm all for giving it credit. Who cares what really motivates you to go faster. If what you believe will make you faster does then why beat someone down for it?? If I give you a sugar pill, tell you it's pain meds, and your aches go away. Who cares that it was really your mind vs the pain pill??
There is nothing wrong with thinking you're going faster because of your shiny new bike. But there are often new riders reading these forums and they should know that the only reason a new bike would make you measureably faster is because you changed your position. Of course, you could have gained the same speed by changing your position on the old bike as well.
Old 12-23-10, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The aero clinchers are like Mack trucks - they take forever and again to get going but feel great at speed.
I felt this way even about bladed spokes (vs traditional round). Probably all in my head, but I felt like my jumps were much slower with bladed spokes...
Old 12-23-10, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For detailed comparisons of wheel aerodynamics and stiffness: https://www.rouesartisanales.com/etudes
Old 12-23-10, 10:42 AM
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
There is nothing wrong with thinking you're going faster because of your shiny new bike. But there are often new riders reading these forums and they should know that the only reason a new bike would make you measureably faster is because you changed your position. Of course, you could have gained the same speed by changing your position on the old bike as well.
No argument with this at all, but you'd have to admit that very little of the debate on this forum is for the benefit of new riders/members.
Old 12-23-10, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by gregf83
Yep, set up my used Lemond to a close as I could the other bike the day I got it. When they built the new warranty Trek up I had that adjusted off the Schwinn's setup also. Of course this spring sometime I'm going to go to the best fitter I can find in the area and get it done right. Curious to see if the Circuit is even close to what would be considered best.
Old 12-23-10, 11:40 AM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
What errors, those are the prett much the exact same improvements I'm looking for from my Psimet wheels. I never said in my post that my improvement was equated to speed. Although with a good 1.5 lb or so improvement over the current heave Bontragers I'm running I'm certain the mountains are going to be easier and thus a bit faster going up. Coming down my old age and fear of mortality will be the limiting factor, LOL!!
You are equating improvements to a wheelset with direct, measurable improvement in your speed, whereas improvements come in other ways, namely durability, ease of replacing damaged parts, etc.

I went from POS s!htmano 561 to a kinlin xr300 laced to white industry hubs with CX-ray spokes. The 561 goes out of true quite often, whereas the cx-ray only goes out of true when i really ding something (say a huge pothole at 28mph). Not to mention that it's hard to true the 561 b/c of the usage of internal nipples. As i said, the fact the kinlin front is about 120g light than the 561 is just icing.
Old 12-23-10, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The crappy Brontrager RaceXLights on my rain bike will shortly be replaced (when the build is done). I do not expect to see a speed increase, however, I do expect it to be easier at the same pace. Those Bonti's just don't roll well.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 12-23-10, 12:17 PM

You are equating improvements to a wheelset with direct, measurable improvement in your speed, whereas improvements come in other ways, namely durability, ease of replacing damaged parts, etc.

I went from POS s!htmano 561 to a kinlin xr300 laced to white industry hubs with CX-ray spokes. The 561 goes out of true quite often, whereas the cx-ray only goes out of true when i really ding something (say a huge pothole at 28mph). Not to mention that it's hard to true the 561 b/c of the usage of internal nipples. As i said, the fact the kinlin front is about 120g light than the 561 is just icing.
You really need to slow down and read what I have written. I even agreed with you on the desired "improvement" qualities if you go back and look. Lightness was low or possibly not even mentioned when I emailed Rob for a quote. I certainly did not tell him I want them faster, LOL!! Like your last statement, I'll be going from a wheelset of around 2400+ grams to around 1600 grams, icing on the cake but it's the other attributes I asked for that matter to me. Oh and yes I do suspect they'll be faster accellerating and climbing. Not seeing where we disagree at all...

Last edited by jamesdak; 12-23-10 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-23-10, 12:20 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

The advantages conferred by lighter, better high end bike gear are hard to quantify, but I think they can be real. But it's subtle, and it really only works for people who ride competitively, i.e., racing, Nyack Rides, etc. If you're on a course that climbs a 500 meter 7% grade lap after lap or if you're constantly jamming to counter surges in a race or ride - repeated hard efforts that are typical in fast rides and races - that's when the slightly lower effort required from you because of your lighter wheels or newer and better bicycle might start to pay off. Maybe slightly less fatigue in the final 20 minutes because of the repeated energy savings of having to crank out a few less watts over and over in a race - that's where I think you see some advantage. That's my perception.

But at the end of the day it's mostly more because it makes you THINK it's faster, nice bike schwag is cool, and it's fun to gaze at it as your bike leans up against the Starbucks window.
Old 12-23-10, 12:21 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

You really need to slow down and READ what I have written. I even agreed with you on the desired "improvement" qualities if you go back and look. Lightness was low or possibly not even mentioned when I emailed Rob for a quote. I certainly did not tell him I want them faster, LOL!! Like your last statement, I'll be going from a wheelset of around 2400+ grams to around 1600 grams, icing on the cake but it's the other attributes I asked for that matter to me. Oh and yes I do suspect they'll be faster accellerating and climbing. Not seeing where we disagree at all...
Oh relax
Old 12-23-10, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoelS
The crappy Brontrager RaceXLights on my rain bike will shortly be replaced (when the build is done). I do not expect to see a speed increase, however, I do expect it to be easier at the same pace. Those Bonti's just don't roll well.
Ahh, so maybe this is where some think I'm wrong (maybe I am!) You don't expect them to see an increased pace if you maintain your current effort?? I'm certain I can get lighter wheels up to speed faster, up hills/mountains faster, etc. Maybe I'm confusing people by saying speed when I really mean my avg speed over a distance thus my pace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.