Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any secrets for lifting yourself out of a slump? Too tired to ride!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any secrets for lifting yourself out of a slump? Too tired to ride!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
I've slumped

The main thing that changed in my life is I decided 2 months ago to go back to using a personal trainer 2 sessions a week, which I really need to get back on track with strength training. Which is great in terms of my overall strength, especially upper body strength.

The downside is, that is 2 evenings a week when I can't ride, and, doing itafter work, getting home 2 1/2 hours later than normal ... basically in time todo a few necessary chores (pesky dog, insists on eating and going out, lol)then go to bed. This is combined with a 3 day a week 6 AM boot camp which means I have to be out of the house by 5:15am 3 days a week.

So, when I could be riding ... I'm often sleeping
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My understanding of overall physical fitness is that the four components are endurance, strength, flexibility, and balance. For me yoga incorporates flexibility and balance

On a deeper, level, I have been greatly influenced by a book, The Power of Full Engagement by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz with the basic concept that “managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal.
Thanks guys for all of the advice and input. A couple of things that hit me from the various replies.

Commuting .. wish I could, just not practical for several reasons…

Lifestyle choices/issues - I know, I know. It's nice to say "cut out this or that" ... it's just harder to do than to say.

So here's my plan. Back to basics, make sure I'm eating right, getting vitamins and supplements I need, cutting back on the caffeine at night, drinking enough water, etc. Basic stuff.

Then start putting rides into my calendar and force myself to do it.
When I first read your OP, I skipped over the above part that you are already engaged in an exercise program, seemingly for strength training (only?). I certainly agree that along with diet, exercise is a a good approach to a stressful lifestyle. Do you want to resume endurance training (cycling) as such an antidote?

I myself am deficient in strength training, but FWIW, I think endurance training is more effective as a stress reduction, than the other three components of fitness (strength, flexibility, and balance). I have seen some apparent “boot camp”work outs, such as (?) Cross-Fit, and they seem to emphasize strength training.The problem with cycling for me is that it takes a lot of time to achieve my goals, so incorporation into commuting is an ideal answer.
Originally Posted by tsl
…I was concerned about getting decent miles in…It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150
I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage,though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit
No reply necessary, but always welcome.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-12-16 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 06:31 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Mark Twain was an ass.

-Tim-
I guess that's ok here since we don't have a Bike Forums LitCrit group.
Old 10-12-16, 07:09 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

When I first read your OP, I skipped over the above part that you are already engaged in an exercise program, seemingly for strength training (only?). I certainly agree that along with diet, exercise is a a good approach to a stressful lifestyle. Do you want to resume endurance training (cycling) as such an antidote?

I myself am deficient in strength training, but FWIW, I think endurance training is more effective as a stress reduction, than the other three components of fitness (strength, flexibility, and balance). I have seen some apparent “boot camp”work outs, such as (?) Cross-Fit, and they seem to emphasize strength training.The problem with cycling for me is that it takes a lot of time to achieve my goals, so incorporation into commuting is an ideal answer.
No reply necessary, but always welcome.
Hi Jim. My boot camp is a good balance, one day a week is pure cardio, one is strength training, the third day is mixed cardio/strength and stretching/balance.

Believe me, I would love to commute to work.
Old 10-12-16, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave, I didn't see where you posted your age? That can have a huge effect on all aspects of training and can require an entire re-boot of your existing fitness plan.
Old 10-12-16, 09:49 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LHawes
Dave, I didn't see where you posted your age? That can have a huge effect on all aspects of training and can require an entire re-boot of your existing fitness plan.
51 - I know, I'm still a baby by the standards of some posters here ... but some days I feel it.
Old 10-12-16, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
51 is not that old as you are aware but physically things do change around that age and re-thinking your fitness programs, as you are doing, has to be done by everyone as we age. I'm 63 and do home design for a living. That means 2 things. Sitting in front of a computer all day and, this is important, burning TONS of sugar in the form of glucose through using my brain all day. It's my opinion that burning all that glucose is what wears us out after a long day of doing nothing physically.

So what to do? Again only from personal experience, if you can break up that long stressful day of burning glucose with moderate exercise then the sugars get rebalanced in your body and you can work longer and feel better with more physical energy at the end of the day.

I have a small project in the back yard moving dirt and when I feel myself fading from the computer work I'll take a break and go move some dirt. Seems weird and a bit non-intuitive but it really helps me stay energized to tackle the computer work again.

It's not possible for everyone to take that kind of break but anything physical through the day will help. Try it.

Again I think the dog tired you are feeling is genuine, you simply ran out of the body's glucose and need to recharge. Something else I do is drink fresh squeezed orange juice through the day to keep those glucose levels up and as others have said it is, again my shared opinion, that exercise when you are tired from overexerting your stress muscles can really, really help but getting from dog tired to a nice brisk ride can be a monumental task.

I would really like it if you shared your energy level in a couple weeks. It might be just fine and you've only hit a dip in your energy as that is totally natural as well, especially as we age.
Old 10-12-16, 02:34 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LHawes
51 is not that old as you are aware but physically things do change around that age and re-thinking your fitness programs, as you are doing, has to be done by everyone as we age. I'm 63 and do home design for a living. That means 2 things. Sitting in front of a computer all day and, this is important, burning TONS of sugar in the form of glucose through using my brain all day. It's my opinion that burning all that glucose is what wears us out after a long day of doing nothing physically.

So what to do? Again only from personal experience, if you can break up that long stressful day of burning glucose with moderate exercise then the sugars get rebalanced in your body and you can work longer and feel better with more physical energy at the end of the day.

I have a small project in the back yard moving dirt and when I feel myself fading from the computer work I'll take a break and go move some dirt. Seems weird and a bit non-intuitive but it really helps me stay energized to tackle the computer work again.

It's not possible for everyone to take that kind of break but anything physical through the day will help. Try it.

Again I think the dog tired you are feeling is genuine, you simply ran out of the body's glucose and need to recharge. Something else I do is drink fresh squeezed orange juice through the day to keep those glucose levels up and as others have said it is, again my shared opinion, that exercise when you are tired from overexerting your stress muscles can really, really help but getting from dog tired to a nice brisk ride can be a monumental task.

I would really like it if you shared your energy level in a couple weeks. It might be just fine and you've only hit a dip in your energy as that is totally natural as well, especially as we age.
Thanks. Sorry I haven't even been back to this thread as much as I should of to respond to everyone kind enough to offer suggestions. This is a particularly time-crunched week, capped off by a brief out-of-town trip Fri/Sat. Next week I have some real prospects of getting back in the saddle, literally as well as figuratively.

I'm pretty good about eating consistently, 3 meals, 3 snacks, I'm doing a higher P, moderate C, moderate F diet. I picked up a jar of UCAN Monday to mix into protein shakes for the afternoon slump - it's an "engineered starch" that breaks down slowly and stabilizes blood glucose, that actually does work pretty well for me. I also reordered a couple of supplements I used in the spring to stoke the engine a little when my iron/hemaglobin fell quite a bit (I was down to just below 10) - CoQ10, D-Ribose - I'm not sure if they really helped, it was coincidence, or placebo effect, but both are cheap and pretty harmless, so can't hurt.

My day job is primarily tax and estate law and trust accounting with a smattering of other matters thrown in by the powers that be where I work, so essentially I'm largely chained to a desk. I do walk at lunch or mid afternoon most days for 30-40 minutes just to keep myself moving and awake. I definitely need that not to zone out during the afternoons, or even fall asleep.

So, I actually had a blood draw yesterday, and iron, associated vitamins (B, D) are all good. Which I suspected, because as I said in my original post, this "tired" is much different from the feeling I've experienced with iron deficiency anemia in the past. This sense of tired is resolved with rest - anemia never resolves no matter how much sleep you get - only building up the iron to raise hemaglobin helps that.

I think in 2 weeks I can be "over the slump" as well. Mostly, I think I need to invoke the Nike solution - "Just Do It"
Old 10-12-16, 02:49 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What about your spiritual life?

You don't mention anything about that.

It is very important and most people neglect it or put it off as old fashioned or uneducated. Whatever "spiritual life" means to you, the bottom line is that we are spiritual creatures and life is imbalanced without regular quiet time, meditation, prayer, retreat, self-examination, or whatever.

I'd also mention that recreation literally means re-creation. It is when we have zero responsibilities to anyone and are not responsible for anyone. If cycling has become something you have to do, a responsibility even to yourself, then it is not recreation. Re-creation is also very important. Even the monks I know are commanded by the Abbot to recreate, to have a time where they just have fun and have no responsibilities.

Work-play-pray or physical-intellectual-spiritual - balanced life is what I strive for.

-Tim-
Old 10-12-16, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about your spiritual life?

You don't mention anything about that.

It is very important and most people neglect it or put it off as old fashioned or uneducated. Whatever "spiritual life" means to you, the bottom line is that we are spiritual creatures and life is imbalanced without regular quiet time, meditation, prayer, retreat, self-examination, or whatever.

I'd also mention that recreation literally means re-creation. It is when we have zero responsibilities to anyone and are not responsible for anyone. If cycling has become something you have to do, a responsibility even to yourself, then it is not recreation. Re-creation is also very important. Even the monks I know are commanded by the Abbot to recreate, to have a time where they just have fun and have no responsibilities.

Work-play-pray or physical-intellectual-spiritual - balanced life is what I strive for.

-Tim-
I think that's a good call Tim and very generous of your spirit to leave the definition of spiritual to the individual.
Old 10-12-16, 09:37 PM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Find a group to ride with to break the monotony of solo riding. I was petrified to ride the CCRT this past weekend with the C&V crowd of avid riders. This summer I never rode more than 20 miles in a single day. But at 60 years of age, I think I did okay!
Old 10-13-16, 04:51 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Actually my most intensely personal time is riding. It's my uninterrupted time to embrace the "spiritual" aspect so to speak. I've often found it most helpful during the worst times in my life, such as a few years ago when an immediate family member had terminal cancer. Also many of my most positive moments were spent riding and in other athletic activities - because I am NOT a natural athlete, I have struggled with weight issues much of my life -been as heavy as 220ish when my ideal is about 160 - and I never had much opportunity as a kid to get involved in sports - my parents thought athletics were a waste of time, only academics counted in my family. So it's a lot more meaningful to me to be able to do physical challenges - honestly, I'm probably more personally proud of my first Sprint triathlon finish in 2013 (? Maybe 2012 - yikes I can't remember the year!) in the 62nd percentile for men in my age class (45-49) than I was obtaining a 2nd bachelors 20-some years ago with a perfect GPA. Basically though, just hopping on and riding does something for me that no other sport comes close to in terms of mental enjoyment - swimming is close perhaps as both allow internal reflection.

Group rides - at this time my schedule just doesn't work with it. I've still been paying my dues to local club and USA Cycling the past few years but the last time I attended a local meeting was late winter 2014 and the last club group ride I did was June 14 IIRC. Well maybe next year.
Old 10-13-16, 06:29 AM

Bikes: Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike, Diamondback Insight 1, Nashbar Flat bar road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For me my diet effects me more than anything. When my diet is on point I have more energy than I know what to do with but if I start slipping my energy goes down and I have to force myself to exercise.
Old 10-13-16, 06:37 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Actually my most intensely personal time is riding. It's my uninterrupted time to embrace the "spiritual" aspect so to speak. I've often found it most helpful during the worst times in my life, such as a few years ago when an immediate family member had terminal cancer. Also many of my most positive moments were spent riding and in other athletic activities - because I am NOT a natural athlete, I have struggled with weight issues much of my life -been as heavy as 220ish when my ideal is about 160 - and I never had much opportunity as a kid to get involved in sports - my parents thought athletics were a waste of time, only academics counted in my family. So it's a lot more meaningful to me to be able to do physical challenges - honestly, I'm probably more personally proud of my first Sprint triathlon finish in 2013 (? Maybe 2012 - yikes I can't remember the year!) in the 62nd percentile for men in my age class (45-49) than I was obtaining a 2nd bachelors 20-some years ago with a perfect GPA. Basically though, just hopping on and riding does something for me that no other sport comes close to in terms of mental enjoyment - swimming is close perhaps as both allow internal reflection.

Group rides - at this time my schedule just doesn't work with it. I've still been paying my dues to local club and USA Cycling the past few years but the last time I attended a local meeting was late winter 2014 and the last club group ride I did was June 14 IIRC. Well maybe next year.
I understand. There is a man here on BF, a friend of mine, who is an oblate to a Benedictine monastery. He calls his bike his "two wheeled cloister."

I would counter however, and I'm not trying to lecture but just my experience, that it isn't the same as sitting in stillness and silence. I mean interior stillness and silence, not exterior, although that helps. There is so much noise in our lives. Much of that noise comes from within ourselves, the TV screen of our mind.

Taking time to just be still is important. I picture Forrest Gump on the park bench, just sitting.
Old 10-13-16, 07:08 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Mark Twain was an ass. -Tim-
Until he wrote "Joan of Arc"
Old 10-13-16, 10:05 AM

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Then start putting rides into my calendar and force myself to do it.
That doesn't work for me. I hate exercise. I love going for bike rides. I go for bike rides because they are fun. When I have to force myself to ride a bike it will have become exercise and no fun and I'll have to find something fun to do instead.
Old 10-13-16, 12:24 PM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Personally, I feel fatigued and tired when I don't get out and exercise.

Here is my suggestion: Devote time to yourself, just like you do anything else. Whether it's an hour a day, or two hours every other day, allocate that time to yourself and don't give it up.

This may be selfish of me, but ... screw the dog and the other stuff (including the boot camp, if you're not enjoying it). Your personal health, happiness and well being is more important than the dog or anything else. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others, ya know.

YMMV of course. lol
Whoa, hold up, not the dogs fault. OP, you ask for suggestions so...drop the boot camp, if possible take those three mornings to get on the bike (even if only for a short spin). If not possible maybe just a short jog around the block (take the dog), if no jog go out in the yard with a good cup of coffee (take the dog), enjoy the early morning and relax a bit before going to work.
Old 10-13-16, 02:38 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BKE
Whoa, hold up, not the dogs fault. OP, you ask for suggestions so...drop the boot camp, if possible take those three mornings to get on the bike (even if only for a short spin). If not possible maybe just a short jog around the block (take the dog), if no jog go out in the yard with a good cup of coffee (take the dog), enjoy the early morning and relax a bit before going to work.
That wasn't me -that was someone's response to me. I was being facetious in my original post. Trust me, the dog lives like royalty.
Old 10-13-16, 03:31 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 2,026 Times in 576 Posts
That wasn't me -that was someone's response to me. I was being facetious in my original post. Trust me, the dog lives like royalty.
I think he was addressing that to me.

Trust me. I love dogs. I love cats too. But insofar as your health and happiness are concerned, YOU should come first. Don't make yourself your own lowest priority.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. All it gets you is resentment.

Old 10-13-16, 08:02 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I have plenty of bad days. Sometimes I'll take a day or two off from riding, especially when the neck pain and subsequent headaches are too much. But I try to ride at least 15 minutes a few times a week. Even a short, leisurely ride makes me feel better, more energized and positive.
Old 10-14-16, 08:27 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 752 Posts
Haven't read the entire thread so I hope this isn't redundant. I had a medication issue with a beta blocker. Horrible stuff. So, if you're taking any meds check that first. I'm assuming that's not an issue for you. If you are in a place where you can ride outside at this time of the year, I'd try to find 1/2 hr to an hour to just go out with the intention of riding around at 10 mph just to spin the pedals and get away from the rest of your life. Cycle-therapy.
Old 10-15-16, 05:20 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Important, this. Had an associate who was an avid racer, late 50`s then. Talking ti him about the effort involved when you`re older (I was 10 years younger) and he said "It does get harder. But you won`t understand until that time comes"

Words of wisdom. Never knew he had it in him . . . .one word.

Motivation.

You HAVE to force yourself to do things that came naturally when you were younger. I understand now! And it applies across the board.

I cancelled my menbership of the gymn because I`d be better using the bike. And I`m glad I did because when I do get out there, life is bloody good. And all my little problems are solved going up the hills. Helps you get to the top!
Old 10-16-16, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just like to add a comment about stress. There are at least two kinds of stress: physical stress from exercise and mental stress from dealing with demands and complexities of life in general. In my experience, while exercise can be a stress reliever at a low level, more vigorous training causes release of the same stress hormones that mental stress produces. In that case, the stress is additive. Besides fatigue, lack of motivation and such, illness is often the result of prolonged periods of stress - the correlation of stress and illness is pretty much linear.

Rest is a critically important aspect of any sort of "training", meaning the progressively challenging efforts that trigger the adaptation we call fitness.
Old 10-20-16, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Important, this. Had an associate who was an avid racer, late 50`s then. Talking ti him about the effort involved when you`re older (I was 10 years younger) and he said "It does get harder. But you won`t understand until that time comes"

Words of wisdom. Never knew he had it in him . . . .one word.

Motivation.

You HAVE to force yourself to do things that came naturally when you were younger. I understand now! And it applies across the board.

I cancelled my menbership of the gymn because I`d be better using the bike. And I`m glad I did because when I do get out there, life is bloody good. And all my little problems are solved going up the hills. Helps you get to the top!
I turned 64 last week, but the motivation issue is the same for me as it was decades ago: The longer I go between rides, the more my motivation fades. Figure out a solution to your schedule that allows more frequent riding, even if the rides are shorter. I bet you will soon be making more riding time available. Peterws is a wise man. Your troubles will diminish.
Old 10-20-16, 05:14 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Any suggestions?
As been said, more sleep not less. Also, how's your BMI? If you are obese, get rid of it.

For me, I found riding was getting pretty boring & the whole getting ready ritual was a real nuisance. So, I started interval running, then HIIT training, hiking, trail running, kettlebells. Now going back to my bikes is fun when I have the time, and all rides are joy rides.

Perhaps I am a weirdo, but full time riding seems punitive to me; a couple of times a week is plenty. There are so many other things to do, and you can find much tougher, full body workouts for the spare 30-45 minutes you have.
Old 10-21-16, 06:36 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
Let your subconscious work for you: Give yourself a "dream task". When you lie down at night, waiting for sleep, repeat in your mind: "I ask my inner self to give me a dream that will give me the energy, opportunity and enthusiasm to ride my bicycle more often". (Anything along those lines). Do this for ten minutes each night until you start seeing results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.