Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone else like subdivision riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone else like subdivision riding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
The street in front of our house ...

Looks alot like my situation. I'm at the top of a 25% grade. A short one, thankfully, but it is a bit of a stinger at the end of a ride.

I typically drive a short distance to a MUP trailhead (mainly due to the fact that my street ends on a 45mph turnpike that can be a bit dodgy certain times of the day) and start my rides there.
The first few miles are MUP into a subdivision, but this particular subdivision is far from boring, and is very scenic - mature trees and steep hills. From there I can venture into town and ride the many roads there.

Otherwise, I prefer to find quiet rural roads for my rides.
Old 10-03-18, 10:41 AM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Was it a stylish hi-viz shirt? They may have seen you and decided you weren't stylish enough to bother avoiding.
Uhm, no. I have zero fashion sense.
Old 10-03-18, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 226 Posts
You'd think since I live in FL there would only be subdivisions. I live in the urban core and I would have to ride a while just to find a subdivision as described by the OP. However, there is one on a particular route that I cut through because it is safer. The other problem is most of the suburbs here are gated communities, which mean they don't connect to anything else.
Old 10-03-18, 01:23 PM
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I live in Raleigh near the residential only area of N Hills. Nothing big to speak of, but plenty of 3 minute hills at about 300 watts. When I was only around 200 watts, they were 4 to 5 minute hills.

I can link together other neighborhoods in town and never hit a high traffic area. I'll take the greenway for a mile to connect to another neighborhood to go grab a hill I like.

Start out with a lap of N HIlls, cross Glenwood and then go grab some stuff in the neighborhoods between Glenwood and Wade. Take the greenway to Oak Park/Glen Laurel area and lap around a bit.

I will say, these are NOT your new age crap cookie cutter 1/16th acre lot subdivisions. These are older parts of town with 1/2 to 1 acre lots and lower population density. Those cookie cutter jammed together subdivisions can be a nightmare for a bike rider.

FWIW, stoppage time on an out-of-town group ride on country roads is usually about 3 minutes per hour waiting for people to regroup or whatever. In-town, I average about 4 to 5 minutes per hour stoppage time.

I don't see many cars. If so, they're going slower. Streets in some of those parts of town are really wide.

I'm usually alone though, nobody wants to go do hills.
Old 10-03-18, 06:03 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
My subdivision consists of a bunch of looping collector streets with cul-de-sacs or short loops branching off laterally. There's no (or few) driveways on the collectors and for the most part they are stop sign free, though there are lights where the collectors cross one another. I have a couple of 20 mile routes and I do at least one a week. It includes some loops that I use for intervals and also a hill with a couple different approaches that I use for hill repeats. The only problem is there's a couple schools and it is a bit of a mess when school lets out.

scott s.
Old 10-03-18, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Hard! Fast!

I love subdivision rides. I have a couple of favorites.
One has a series of cul-du-sacs...at the top of hills! You go up, turn around and come blasting down...to the next road!
Add the loop to and from, and you’ve an hour ride, between 7-10 miles!
Lke a 15-20 mile ride in an hour!
I’ve got a Trek 1400 that I leave in the back of my work truck for when a ride shows up.
Really great sub-d bike!