Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Covered Bridge Metric - Lancaster, PA

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Covered Bridge Metric - Lancaster, PA

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What this site needs to do, which would just be plain cool and also generate some revenue, is sell BF jerseys. I'd buy one, or 2.

-D
Old 06-29-06, 10:12 AM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
if that was a joke, I'm impressed with it's placement. If not, wow! (there exists BF jerseys somewhere between design and production 'round here)

And Cydewaze, for Lancaster, I'll take a 48/19 please
Old 06-29-06, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
if that was a joke, I'm impressed with it's placement. If not, wow! (there exists BF jerseys somewhere between design and production 'round here)

And Cydewaze, for Lancaster, I'll take a 48/19 please

Who me? Nah I would love a BF Jersey. I would wear it to all the event rides. There is no better way to run into BF members IMO. Heck I have probably ridden in a group on some ride with someone from here and neither of us knew it.

-D
Old 06-29-06, 11:12 AM
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yea, I'll take everyone's info and arrange all the whatnots and whaddayaknows.
Old 06-29-06, 11:43 AM
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
What this site needs to do, which would just be plain cool and also generate some revenue, is sell BF jerseys. I'd buy one, or 2.

-D
Yea, a while ago there was a poll vote to chose design... As I recall, there were two phases to the design: general submissions, where a lot of people posted their ides, and then a second cut which was the selecting out of what was determined to be the top few choices. I don't remember who organized this, or who did the choosing, but I remember thinking that the selected designs, and ultimately the one voted on were pretty sweet.

I just figured that this hadn't panned out. Don't know if the original organizers still have it on their backburner for some later time.

Here's the links:
Initial post requesting submissions and outlining any rules
Follow up thread for choosing winner
Old 06-29-06, 01:32 PM
mamafitz

Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Jess and I will be signing up soon, and I'm still outfitting superdex's loaner bike with the 48x15 fix gear.
But Paul . . . he needs to know the COLOR, not the gearing! Haha

Pretty cool - we have more people coming. I'll be bringing a few folks along as well. Grasschopper, the timing did work well last year - but if we intend to be out there for 7 hours again maybe we should leave a little earlier

MironaMike, I'll get a pm off too you. . . and MikeR, so glad you're going to play along!! And he's not kidding about the bike - verrrrry groovy bike this man is riding.

Later, all

Beth
Old 06-29-06, 01:42 PM
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadToNowhere
But Paul . . . he needs to know the COLOR, not the gearing! Haha
lol, it's "arrest me" red. He can coordinate his outfit to try to unseat gravityslip as the OCP champ!

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-29-06, 03:13 PM
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Allrighty, slight dilema here... I'm currently scheduled to be going out of town on 8/16 (wed) and should be returing Saturday 8/19... I'll probably be going down to beautiful Florence, SC the 12th in preparation.

Here's my dilema. There's no way I can guarantee it I won't be there longer. However, when I mentioned to my supervisor that I was thinking about doing a bike tour on the 20th, without any hesitation, she says to me, "Well that's alright, we can make arrangements for you to come back home, and be back there on monday." Said like that, it doesn't seem like much of a dilema, especially since she was the one that offered it. However, I'm still hesisitant to take her up on it, as it is an added cost...

In anycase, I'm going to put off on signing up for it now. I checked the website out, and it says that you may register the day of the event (for like $10 extra.) The site didn't mention this, but is there a possibility that it may fill up or something before that? Should I go ahead and register now? As far as hotels are concerned, is there any possibility that room availabilty becomes scarce if I wait too long?

Also, if anybody is able to offer some words of wisdom about taking my boss up on the offer to come home in the case that the trip takes longer than anticipated, I welcome the advice.
Old 06-29-06, 04:12 PM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
No there is no filling up. You can start just about any time you want in their window (it is like a 3 or 4 hour window) so no real congestion issues. I signed up day of the event last year. The only possible issue is that they run out of the free ice cream at the finish.
Old 06-29-06, 04:43 PM
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I just made it official. I just pre-registered online, and printed out my waiver, and receipt. Be sure to add me to the PM info list.
Old 06-29-06, 06:15 PM
mamafitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
No there is no filling up. You can start just about any time you want in their window (it is like a 3 or 4 hour window) so no real congestion issues. I signed up day of the event last year. The only possible issue is that they run out of the free ice cream at the finish.
Ha! That's only if you finish after they're closing up shop for the day

"Arrest me red"? Sounds like fun . . . I just ordered red gloves, to go with my red shoes and red/gold frame. . . and my new tires have red rims . . . do ya think I'm in the running for the OCP thing? Considering we haven't heard from Gravityslip Jason yet, I'd say the field is wide open.

Beth
Old 06-29-06, 08:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
As I mentioned in a prior post, I don't see Turkey Hill as a sponsor this time, and my snailmail flyer did not advertise Ice Cream like last year. I do hope there is some, for eating *and* juggling.

Also I hope they don't have that 20+ mile gap beween the 3rd and 4th water stop like last year. That was brutal.
Old 06-29-06, 08:28 PM
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JugglerDave
As I mentioned in a prior post, I don't see Turkey Hill as a sponsor this time, and my snailmail flyer did not advertise Ice Cream like last year.
Aww, man! The ice cream was the best part!

Jess is looking forward to seeing how she does on this ride with the new bike and the additional year of riding under her wheels. As for me, I plan to ride at a leisurely pace again this year, so Jess might be waiting for me.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 06-29-06, 08:29 PM
At War With Myself

Bikes: Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like fun. I might just drive up from Nova, or try to catch a ride. Whats the weather like there then? Exactly how far is a Metric Century? (Sorry) I would be in for a BF jersey for sure.
Old 06-29-06, 09:58 PM
mamafitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfend002
Sounds like fun. I might just drive up from Nova, or try to catch a ride. Whats the weather like there then? Exactly how far is a Metric Century? (Sorry) I would be in for a BF jersey for sure.
The weather here is just like the weather there - hot and humid, but manageable with lots of water stops. The ride is 62 miles, but there are also marked and supported half-metric and quarter-metric options.

Last year's ride was really hot - temps in the mid-90's and sunny - which is one reason we took it pretty leisurely.

Beth
Old 06-29-06, 10:17 PM
At War With Myself

Bikes: Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadToNowhere
The weather here is just like the weather there - hot and humid, but manageable with lots of water stops. The ride is 62 miles, but there are also marked and supported half-metric and quarter-metric options.

Last year's ride was really hot - temps in the mid-90's and sunny - which is one reason we took it pretty leisurely.

Beth

Thanks for the response, I could do that in a day trip no problem. Gotta check the calender and a few schedules, but I think I am in.
Old 06-30-06, 02:29 AM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boogs
I'll be wearing my usual silver jersey/black shorts, and riding my turquoise '87 Trek 560. Can you say "'80s"? Yeah, baby!
Hey, fellow Treky! When you pass the '84 Trek 720 with the wood fenders give a yell. I'v never seen an '87 trek 560
Old 06-30-06, 05:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm more of a peripheral poster than a mainstay, but I'm tempted to join you folks. Can I get added to the PM list for details and arrangements? If I go, I'll probably register day-of. Thanks.
Old 07-01-06, 06:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all,

I'm sorry to say that I won't be making it this year. I'll be back at school in North Carolina. You guys will have to hold it down without me...

CD
Old 07-01-06, 08:56 PM
mamafitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaron! How the heck are you? Sorry you won't be able to make it this year . . . catch up with the group from Briarcrest one of these days, I'd love to hear about your semester abroad. . .

Beth
Old 07-02-06, 08:25 AM
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeR
Hey, fellow Treky! When you pass the '84 Trek 720 with the wood fenders give a yell. I'v never seen an '87 trek 560
We have to develop some kind of "gangsta" handshake. Old Treks are awesome, ain't dey?
Old 07-02-06, 08:58 AM
MMJ

Bikes: 1999 Klein Quantum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I be added too? I don't post a whole lot but I read all the time. That would be a really easy day trip for me if I can unload my kids on somebody
Old 07-02-06, 10:16 AM
mamafitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMJ
Can I be added too? I don't post a whole lot but I read all the time. That would be a really easy day trip for me if I can unload my kids on somebody
Come out and play! It would be cool to have another gal out there - too often I'm "the girl" in group rides; I'm sure Bibi would agree. . .

Later, folks . . .

Beth
Old 07-02-06, 03:50 PM
Potatoes al dente

Bikes: Bella/Princess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooh, mirona, you have no idea how happy i am to see your thread. I've had the Lancaster flyer sitting next to my computer since it arrived, making me happy every time I look at it! I liked riding before I rode with you guys, but have LOVED it ever since. And to have most of the same characters show up will be perfect: JugglerDave, with all those cows around, I'm sure we'll find something for you to juggle! (but i want my ice cream, dammit)

Kloden, I'm thrilled you're coming, especially since you missed Bucks. Are you and Mirona gonna be shaving? It could be a big draw for les femmes, you know, especially if we had a little judging afterwards? HigherG -- you in?

Has anyone heard from Kirke? She and I were trying to get together in January, but I kinda dropped the ball and haven't seen her around (nor have I been -- got myself employed -- pesky job is really cutting in to my training time).

Beth, this is so cool, and you're awesome at getting the central PA folks involved.

And after reading this morning's paper ... we'll be riding the same roads Landis learned on ... now who won't come?!?
Old 07-02-06, 04:29 PM

Bikes: '07 Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DonD
I might be in. I have to see if I can get the weekend off from work. One of my colleagues is going on vacation in August, but I don't know the dates yet.
Turns out he hadn't put in for his vacation yet, so I seized the moment and put in for mine, covering this weekend.

I'll be there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.