Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Goofy Glasses: Look like a **** but get down long and low with no Neck Pain

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 07:40 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
Of course you could always just do something like this:

View-Speed Cyclops Glasses

then you never have to look up at all.
Are we sure this isn't part of an elaborate timtak scheme to introduce his nutbar riding position to the unsuspecting populace?
Old 05-26-16, 08:25 AM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak

If recumbents were in the UCI races they would win.
No, they would not. That video shows the best case scenario for a recumbent. A long, straight, fast downhill. Even then, the pro riders were easily leaving it behind. The peloton makes any aero advantage a recumbent has go away. Recumbents cannot be ridden in groups, they cannot be ridden well up hills. They would get crushed in any professional race that doesn't take place on a perfectly flat piece of land.

Realists will realize this, while recumbent fanboys will constantly rage how they're the fastest "bikes" around.
Old 05-26-16, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In a way it is a shame that there is no funding of Strava races in roads with traffic so that this system could continue to exist but at the same time sell us cycling equipment appropriate to the cycling we do.
Look up Alley Cat racing and the Red Hook Crit.

I believe the cycling gear you seek, is a brakeless fixed gear bike.

Old 05-26-16, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd

Look up Alley Cat racing and the Red Hook Crit.

I believe the cycling gear you seek, is a brakeless fixed gear bike.
How about a brakeless fixed-gear recumbent? It would be waaaay faster and win everything
Old 05-26-16, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
How about a brakeless fixed-gear recumbent? It would be waaaay faster and win everything
he's too scared to go over 35mph so he won't win a thing but he goes faster... while riding the brakes
Old 05-26-16, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
he's too scared to go over 35mph so he won't win a thing but he goes faster... while riding the brakes
Don't bang on SpeshulEd. He's really fast when he sucks my wheel.
Old 05-26-16, 07:43 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Don't bang on SpeshulEd. He's really fast when he sucks my wheel.
Hey wait a minute, I don't think his comment was directed at me! lol

Old 05-26-16, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Hey wait a minute, I don't think his comment was directed at me! lol
My bad.

i was just trying to protect you.
Old 05-26-16, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bents will never be competitive against road bikes. What they gain in low win resistance they give back in lack of goodly flex.
Old 05-26-16, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Good idea! If possible (I am already using most of the blank perhaps) I will incorporate this suggestion into a future edition.
Ha yeah, if it's a biking-specific pair of glasses, you'll get the best visibility by putting the optical center where you see out of most of the time. (The vertical optical center. The horizontal one is usually already done by the eye place and is related to how far apart your eyes are).

Have you tried aspherical lenses?

I am not sure but perhaps they could be made to be as thin at the top centre as they are at the mid centre by being shaped like the inside of a toroid rather than the inside of a sphere. That may well be a misunderstand but they are claimed to reduce lens thickness and distortion.

I need the full height of mine.
Yeah, mine were ashperical lenses.
I'm not sure if it makes a difference that I'm using a thicker lens material (CR-39) for distortion, it might. Trivex is only a little thinner though. My eyes and brain are not fond of high index 1.67 plastic on the first lenses I tried.
Old 05-27-16, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
No, they would not. That video shows the best case scenario for a recumbent. A long, straight, fast downhill. Even then, the pro riders were easily leaving it behind. The peloton makes any aero advantage a recumbent has go away. Recumbents cannot be ridden in groups, they cannot be ridden well up hills. They would get crushed in any professional race that doesn't take place on a perfectly flat piece of land.

Realists will realize this, while recumbent fanboys will constantly rage how they're the fastest "bikes" around.
And yet every recumbent I've encountered while riding, putzes along.
Old 05-27-16, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Yeah, mine were ashperical lenses.
Oh, then I guess I just got lucky. My prescription is -3.5 -2.5 and even in the usual CR -39 or whatever the cheapest material is, the distortion was not too bad.
Old 05-27-16, 01:50 PM

Oh, then I guess I just got lucky. My prescription is -3.5 -2.5 and even in the usual CR -39 or whatever the cheapest material is, the distortion was not too bad.
That's cool.
With a -6.25 prescription, and my face size, there's no issue with distortion with a 52mm lens width. Bump it up to 55mm and the distortion is absolutely awful. That's side to side though, perhaps there's a lot more room available going up and down.

On a totally different note, I almost like the recumant idea, I just stop liking it when I'm riding in traffic. Being low is more arrow, your view is better, etc - but I don't like not being able to see through/around cars, being less visible to cars, and being in a more dangerous position for being hit by a car because they're lower (I got in an accident with a while a very long time ago and rolled across their hood, which was a lot better than being hit by their grill or running into the side of the car).

In the future it will be all moot. You'll get into a capsule with clear sides inside an airless tube and pedal your way forward, air resistance will become a non-issue.
Old 05-28-16, 05:21 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

With a -6.25 prescription
I am getting on a bit so I don't think I'll bother but if I needed -6 or so I might be more inclined to consider the Lasic (is it?) surgery recommended earlier in the thread. It is about 2000 USD (here in Japan) and one can throw ones glasses away, I think.

On a totally different note, I almost like the recumant idea, I just stop liking it when I'm riding in traffic. Being low is more arrow, your view is better, etc - but I don't like not being able to see through/around cars, being less visible to cars, and being in a more dangerous position for being hit by a car because they're lower (I got in an accident with a while a very long time ago and rolled across their hood, which was a lot better than being hit by their grill or running into the side of the car).
I agree. I was thinking of a "high racer" I think they are called, with 700c wheels which puts you up at a similar height to a conventional, diamond frame "safety bike" but one needs to be at least 5'8" to be able to put ones legs down. And they are not cheap.

In the future it will be all moot. You'll get into a capsule with clear sides inside an airless tube and pedal your way forward, air resistance will become a non-issue.
Sounds a bit scary, should the capsule puncture, but otherwise, yes, one could got very fast. I wonder how the energy required to maintain the vacuum compares to that required for propulsion.

Last edited by timtak; 05-28-16 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 06:56 PM

I am getting on a bit so I don't think I'll bother but if I needed -6 or so I might be more inclined to consider the Lasic (is it?) surgery recommended earlier in the thread. It is about 2000 USD (here in Japan) and one can throw ones glasses away, I think.
Technically it's Lasik, but I did go in for an evaluation on it this summer.
They take a laser and cut your eye - it's a pretty big deal. But all I got from the Lasik evaluation was a scummy feeling that I was being manipulatively "sold" something. They were using obvious manipulative sales words to describe the procedure, for example "it's a cosmetic procedure" and my own eye doctor did a "read between the lines of what I'm saying" thing to say that she's pressured to recategorize issues that happen as a result of lasik being less serious than they are.
I got the same feeling when I bought glasses, and they screwed up my glasses - twice. But worst case scenario for glasses is losing several hundred dollars. Worst case scenario for lasik is going blind. Another scenario is being able to see ok but not great and being left with vision problems for life. I've read scary things about lasik leaving your eyes like you get with contacts at the end of the day - itchy, scratchy, etc. But with contacts you can take them out, with lasik you're sol.

I agree. I was thinking of a "high racer" I think they are called, with 700c wheels which puts you up at a similar height to a conventional, diamond frame "safety bike" but one needs to be at least 5'8" to be able to put ones legs down. And they are not cheap.
Interesting - it's certainly a more appealing prospect to me. The idea of not being able to see over and through cars - I'm not a fan unless my route is nearly entirely bike path.

Sounds a bit scary, should the capsule puncture, but otherwise, yes, one could got very fast. I wonder how the energy required to maintain the vacuum compares to that required for propulsion.
Lol I gotta admit...that's not a point I had considered. Damn lol.
Don't know the answer on the second one. I know the "hyperloop" for public transit is based off the principle of running a train through a tube that's nearly a vacuum.
Old 05-29-16, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are the wipers?
Old 05-29-16, 10:50 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zippin44
Where are the wipers?
All things considered, this is an excellent first post.

Old 05-29-16, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Zippin44
Where are the wipers?
I am thinking of applying some sort of anti fogging or water repellent treatment such as Rain-X, Aquapel, or an anti-fogger such as "Moon Dog"(?), or household products such as conditioning shampoo, hand sanitizer or shaving cream containing "anionic surfactants."

Shampoo (Pert) for antifogging glasses

Rain-X anti fog, Shaving Cream, Baby Shampoo, Potato, and hand sanitizer, finds in favour of the first two.

I have more of a problem with rain than fog. Has anyone trie Rain-X on their glasses? One is not meant to use it on plastic so it may be a really bad idea.

These two threads are good
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...solutions.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...us-rain-x.html

BTW I sprinted for the first time on previously mentioned Strava sprint segment this morning (till now I had not realised it was there) and improved my time by 13 seconds, without a tailwind and without drafting a truck (as I think No. 1 probably did since trucks go at about 70kmh along this road). 3rd is fast enough for me.

Last edited by timtak; 05-29-16 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-03-17, 10:47 PM

I eventually did as @wphamilton suggested, and got a helmet with a visor really cheap from aliexpress (it was half price when I purchased it at @35USD) and have added RX lens inserts to the visor. It is a great feel of freedom since I have no wind nor lenses in my eyes and nothing heavy on my nose. I think I'll get a translucent yellow or clear visor for winter. I shall miss my goofy glasses though.

The End of Goofy Glasses
by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
Ah, the helmet with visor is on half price sale again. Perhaps 35 is the normal price (but they do occasionally put it up). It is a nice helmet with good anti-insect mesh and a safe looking thickness. No affiliation.
https://goo.gl/bHR4tx

Last edited by timtak; 06-04-17 at 12:50 AM. Reason: added link to spare visors
Old 06-03-17, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I have more of a problem with rain than fog. Has anyone trie Rain-X on their glasses? One is not meant to use it on plastic so it may be a really bad idea.

These two threads are good
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...solutions.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...us-rain-x.html

BTW I sprinted for the first time on previously mentioned Strava sprint segment this morning (till now I had not realised it was there) and improved my time by 13 seconds, without a tailwind and without drafting a truck (as I think No. 1 probably did since trucks go at about 70kmh along this road). 3rd is fast enough for me.
1. You can get rain-x for plastic (motorcycle helmets and visors etc)

2. You can flag the first two riders on that Strava segment if you like as both were clearly done in cars.

3. I know it took a year to respond to these particular questions but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 06-04-17, 04:06 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22687 Post(s)
Liked 9,021 Times in 4,200 Posts
The end of goofy glasses?!? That's like the end of an era.

Say it ain't so! You are something of a legend, @timtak.
Old 06-04-17, 04:34 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
The end of goofy glasses?!? That's like the end of an era.

Say it ain't so! You are something of a legend, @timtak.
RIP, Goofy Glasses. Ride strong, timtak.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-04-17, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nooooooo!!! Well, if it's any consolation, you still look goofy with that visor, haha
Old 06-04-17, 04:13 PM

Thank you. Ta.
By way of thanks, a song by one of my role models with goofy glasses.

I am going to have to keep the goofy glasses for rides with tunnels, and order a clear visor pronto.
Old 01-31-23, 04:10 PM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10250 Post(s)
Liked 5,212 Times in 2,236 Posts
How did I miss this golden gem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.