Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 09:38 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,263 Times in 3,903 Posts
Originally Posted by EJM73
well never weighed it but tubes, multi tool, mini pump, phone, wallet, seat bag, tire levers and 2 full water bottles weigh a little bit.
Just out of curiosity, I weighed the heaviest of my on-bike tool/tube kits. This is the one for my gravel bike…

2 TPU tubes, CO2 nozzle with 3 cartridges, 2 levers, multi-tool, and Dynaplug tool.

Total weight, including seat bag…
Old 04-03-23, 10:01 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 5,750 Times in 2,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Just out of curiosity, I weighed the heaviest of my on-bike tool/tube kits. This is the one for my gravel bike…

2 TPU tubes, CO2 nozzle with 3 cartridges, 2 levers, multi-tool, and Dynaplug tool.

1.34 lbs for the unwashed, like myself. Looks like my seat bag.

Old 04-03-23, 11:56 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by rsbob
1.34 lbs for the unwashed, like myself. Looks like my seat bag.
My road bike kit is 366g, but I don’t carry as much stuff in it because I can rely on my cell phone more easily in the urban/suburban area I tend to ride.
Old 04-04-23, 04:28 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
They’re only consistent because statement 2 is used to define the term “proper.” You can dream up endless examples of this type of argument, but they’re still logical fallacies.

Another:
1. All true bike mechanics build their own frames.
2. A bike mechanic that doesn’t build his / her own frame isn’t a true mechanic.
That's just wrong. He's saying only that wheels do not go out of true without some sort of mishap unless they are defective. "Proper" in his construction is just a synonym for non-defective.

The no true Scotsman fallacy is adding a basically meaningless term to save the conclusion from a successful counterexample, that isn't the case here.

By your reasoning, the following is a fallacy:

Proper bulletproof glass cannot be penetrated by a single small caliber bullet.
Window pane x was penetrated by a 9mm bullet.
Window pane x is not constructed of proper bulletproof glass.

Also:
A good bicycle mechanic can properly adjust a derailleur.
Bill cannot adjust any derailleurs.
Bill is not a good bike mechanic.

Good luck with that.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-04-23 at 05:25 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-04-23, 04:58 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 419 Posts

Lets put this in terms of gram dollars.

If a 2k bike weighs 9.5kg, and a 12k bike weighs 7kg. Thats $4 per gram if my fuzzy math is correct.

That bag is $2,432 worth of gram dollars.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-04-23, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Look at auto racing .... absolute speeds might not be equal to what they were in the late sixties or early seventies, but back in those days, something between a tenth and a quarter of all drivers died each year. Nowadays even severe injuries are rare. If you don't think that survival is a large part of "better" .... do I need to finish this thought?

Also, as has been noted ... a "race" bike is not a bike built exclusively for racing unless it is a track bike .... UCI World Tour bikes are actually more like Showroom Stock racers .... so a lot of what makes them "better" doesn't make them better for racing, but better for All riders riding those bikes.

...If all that matters is whether the bikes of today are faster than the bikes of three decades ago .... Great! Go buy and ride vintage bikes.
As for "faster = better" well .... whatever....
So even though bikes of today aren't necessarily faster (despite all the new tech), they are at least safer. I don't know about that, but perhaps there's some data that shows that's true. I hardly think that's why people buy new bikes.

Most of the arguments in favor of newer tech is oriented toward "faster". So in the racer-boy mentality, faster = better, and that's where the marketing is targeted. And it doesn't even have to actually be faster, it just has to make you FEEL faster, or maybe LOOK faster. The reality is that unlike cars, it's the rider not the bike.

Again, we're talking about modern bikes, something made since about 1995. TDF winners rode just as fast in the mid-90s as they do today. That may not matter to you, but it certainly does to me. It tells me literally everything I need to know, in fact, about the value of most of the "innovations" since then, at least as far as performance goes. If there are features that make bikes easier for the average Joe, or increase reliability, safety, serviceability, usefulness or fun, I'm all for it. Indexed shifting, for example, was an innovation that was genuinely useful and allowed more people to easily use a derailluer-equipped bike. Or when V-brakes came out they were easier to adjust for most people. I respect true innovation.

There's also nothing wrong with buying a new bike just because you want it. It's usually discretionary spending anyway, which means it's at your discretion. If a particular new feature or design makes you want it, and you have the money, go for it. Nobody says there's anything wrong with that.

And despite your disparaging remarks about C&V bikes, that's where a lot of the best frames are.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 04-04-23 at 06:18 AM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 04-04-23, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
If these old bikes are so good and equal in performance why is nobody riding them? Go to any mass participation event or ride the popular local route and they are nowhere to be seen. The only market for them seems to be 55 or older collectors who are hoarding them like toilet paper at the onset of COVID. Even those who have these vintage bikes never seem to ride them on those long or challenging days. But as always if you want to ride a difficult century on a 5 speed straight block tubular bike, pumped to 140 psi, you be you.
Hopefully no one from the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society minds that I stole their picture. These folks ride all sorts of bikes, as you can see. My wife and I have ridden in the One Helluva Ride and you definitely see plenty of vintage bikes, including ours.

We also see plenty of vintage bikes on our local MUPs.

Obviously you're going to see more modern bikes than vintage bikes, simply because most people buy bikes brand new and the vintage bikes are aging out. You have to go out of your way to find and restore a vintage bike, and that's not for everyone, certainly not the average Joe or average club rider.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 04-04-23 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-04-23, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8334 Post(s)
Liked 9,168 Times in 4,521 Posts
This past TDF winning rider posted the fastest average speed ever. But comparing the event speed from year to year can be misleading because the route changes and there may be a lot more climbing some years, more TTing, weather, etc. Plus, it's not a 2000 mile time trial. The riders are not racing the whole time and there may be significant amount of "tempo" riding.
That said, Jonas Vingegaard said they were going pretty hard last year.

Using TDF average speeds as a measure of bicycle speed capabilities is flawed.

And obviously any increase in speed with new tech is going to come in very small increments, if at all.

Last edited by big john; 04-04-23 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-04-23, 07:49 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
And obviously any increase in speed with new tech is going to come in very small increments, if at all.
I think that's pretty much Neese's point.
Old 04-04-23, 07:50 AM

This past TDF winning rider posted the fastest average speed ever. But comparing the event speed from year to year can be misleading because the route changes and there may be a lot more climbing some years, more TTing, weather, etc. .....

And yet with all those variables and changes from year to year, the average speed of TDF winners has remained surprisingly consistent since about 1995. TDF speeds may not be a perfect measure or the only measure, but is definitely meaningful data.

It's also only one sport - road racing - and we have over a century of data to look at. I suspect that newer sports, like Cyclocross or downhill MTB racing, would show different data regarding when a particular platform has plateaued, as road bikes did in the mid-90s.
Old 04-04-23, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 8334 Post(s)
Liked 9,168 Times in 4,521 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think that's pretty much Neese's point.
I think his point was that the average speed in the TDF was a meaningful metric. He concluded that since the average speed hasn't appreciably increased since 1995 that means bicycles aren't faster than they were in 1995.
Old 04-04-23, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 419 Posts
This past TDF winning rider posted the fastest average speed ever. But comparing the event speed from year to year can be misleading because the route changes and there may be a lot more climbing some years, more TTing, weather, etc. Plus, it's not a 2000 mile time trial. The riders are not racing the whole time and there may be significant amount of "tempo" riding.
That said, Jonas Vingegaard said they were going pretty hard last year.

And you have to eliminate all of the dopers... which would be all of them, but I'm talking the Lance era dopers.

If you take Merckx - his typical TT was 46.5kph+/-. Pogs and some of the current guys are sitting at 50kph+/-. These guys, while probably not really clean, are on either end of the "doper" era. Advances in training, aero, bike tech = +/-4.5kph for the road. 4.5kph difference from a road bike to a full on TT bike. The road bike to road bike difference would be much smaller.

A bit more of a difference on the track - but that's not even apples to apples. Merckx was essentially on what would be a Walmart level road bike, and the track guys are on machines.

And you could easily say that the biggest tech advances come in the form of a TT bike for the road, and track bikes for the velo.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-04-23, 08:12 AM

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 48 Posts
My road bike kit is 366g, but I don’t carry as much stuff in it because I can rely on my cell phone more easily in the urban/suburban area I tend to ride.
That awesome. I never weighed that stuff. I'm an old college wrestler I just cut a lot of weight in the spring for the cycling season. LOL
Old 04-04-23, 08:13 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10498 Post(s)
Liked 12,024 Times in 6,155 Posts
I think his point was that the average speed in the TDF was a meaningful metric. He concluded that since the average speed hasn't appreciably increased since 1995 that means bicycles aren't faster than they were in 1995.
I think his point is that he started from his conclusion, and found a metric that appears to support it, so he keeps flogging it even when others point out the flaws. That's not how you do science. It's how you do propaganda.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-04-23, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,534 Times in 1,858 Posts
Maybe I am wrong but as I read it, his point is that modern bikes aren’t any better since they are not faster, and that TdF results are the best metric

His point is that he hates everything introduced since 1995 and his “justification “ is TdF results.

To me, the proper response is “whatever.”

I own two bikes more than 35 years old and a bunch much newer, but I will not engage because logic cannot refute emotion and taste is personal …. and people who sincerely believe they know the ultimate truth are impervious to logic or reason.

It’s flat if you need it to be flat.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-04-23, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3980 Post(s)
Liked 7,430 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I think his point is that he started from his conclusion, and found a metric that appears to support it, so he keeps flogging it even when others point out the flaws. That's not how you do science. It's how you do propaganda.
Yep, and he continually ignores any data that doesn’t support his conclusion.

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2022/06/...investigation/

Race speeds have risen steadily over the past two decades until they skyrocketed in the past two years. What has caused this recent spike and more importantly, how is it possible?

He’s a broken record, incapable of objective thinking..
Old 04-04-23, 08:38 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Maybe I am wrong but as I read it, his point is that modern bikes aren’t any better since they are not faster, and that TdF results are the best metric

His point is that he hates everything introduced since 1995 and his “justification “ is TdF results.

To me, the proper response is “whatever.”

I own two bikes more than 35 years old and a bunch much newer, but I will not engage because logic cannot refute emotion and taste is personal …. and people who sincerely believe they know the ultimate truth are impervious to logic or reason.

It’s flat if you need it to be flat.
I also have old bikes, including a couple from 1982, and I love 'em. I love riding them, and I love taking them out for long rides, too. My belief is that if a bike was a good bike in 1982, and it's working today as well as it worked then, it's still a good bike. The fact that my newer bikes are better bikes - faster, stiffer yet more comfortable, and better suited to things like long climbs and descents - doesn't make my old bikes into bad bikes. But for some folks, new bikes can't be better than old bikes because that would mean old bikes are bad bikes. What foolishness!

EDIT: I also don't believe in babying the old bikes, apart from not taking them out in the rain. I love thrashing them for all they're worth, not just toodling along, because that would be like having an old sports car and never taking it on a twisty canyon drive.

Last edited by genejockey; 04-04-23 at 08:42 AM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-23, 08:41 AM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep, and he continually ignores any data that doesn’t support his conclusion.

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2022/06/...investigation/

He’s a broken record, incapable of objective thinking..
"A broken record"? That's so mid-20th century. Wouldn't a more currently appropriate expression be "a corrupted MP3"?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-04-23, 08:51 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Lombard
"A broken record"? Wouldn't a more currently appropriate expression be "a corrupted MP3"?
Oh, I don't know about that...

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-23, 09:23 AM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Jughed
Lets put this in terms of gram dollars.

If a 2k bike weighs 9.5kg, and a 12k bike weighs 7kg. Thats $4 per gram if my fuzzy math is correct.

That bag is $2,432 worth of gram dollars.
For Sale: Seat bag with tubes and tools - $1000. What a deal!!

Imma mess things up...I paid $3k for a 7.3kg bike, and $4k for a 9.6kg bike.
Old 04-04-23, 09:28 AM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by EJM73
That awesome. I never weighed that stuff. I'm an old college wrestler I just cut a lot of weight in the spring for the cycling season. LOL
My original issue was with the comment that light bikes require the rider to carry more tools, which is nonsense.

I'm an old bike racer who spent 15 years away from riding. I cut a lot of weight by getting my fat @$$ back on the bike. It's always cycling season, even if it's relegated to being indoors.
Old 04-04-23, 09:35 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
Ah. I too might be doing it wrong. I paid 2200 € for a 9kg bike and 6500 € for a 40kg bike...
Old 04-04-23, 09:37 AM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Oh, I don't know about that...
Hmmmm. Who knows, maybe penny farthings will make a comback too, LOL!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 04-04-23, 09:39 AM
Habitual User

I also have old bikes, including a couple from 1982, and I love 'em. I love riding them, and I love taking them out for long rides, too. My belief is that if a bike was a good bike in 1982, and it's working today as well as it worked then, it's still a good bike. The fact that my newer bikes are better bikes - faster, stiffer yet more comfortable, and better suited to things like long climbs and descents - doesn't make my old bikes into bad bikes. But for some folks, new bikes can't be better than old bikes because that would mean old bikes are bad bikes. What foolishness!

EDIT: I also don't believe in babying the old bikes, apart from not taking them out in the rain. I love thrashing them for all they're worth, not just toodling along, because that would be like having an old sports car and never taking it on a twisty canyon drive.
Yes!

My oldest bike was a top-level race frame in 1977. When my dad (bike nut, but not a racer) was riding it as his daily commuter, it was a mixture of mostly-Campy parts. After he passed, the bike joined my stable, spent a short time as a singlespeed with a different mix of mostly-Shimano parts. In 2020, I stripped everything off it, and rebuilt it with full Suntour Superbe. I would say it rides and functions every bit as good as it ever has, since it was new. It's quick, agile, and smooth. However, it doesn't get ridden because I have newer bikes that I like to ride more, but that doesn't lessen what the old bike is.
Old 04-04-23, 07:21 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I think it does, especially when it's measured over all stages, all years, for decades. There's perhaps nothing more meaningful than average speed.

Looking at the actual data, it's pretty clear that the bikes of 2023 are NOT significantly "better" (faster) than they were since about the mid 90's. At least that's what the data shows.
How about looking at relevant data? Review TT and Hour Record stats where the bike itself plays a much larger role than in road racing. Once again, absolute speed doesn't matter in road racing. Only relative speed matters. On the other tand, the TT and the hour record are all about absolute speed.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.