Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ok, take it easy on me, "What's wrong with the Dork Disc"?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ok, take it easy on me, "What's wrong with the Dork Disc"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 12:42 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
There are some very small dork discs that can be put on the wheel and are almost invisible. I don't have them on my newer road bikes or my MTBs, but I've seriously thought about putting them back on the MTBs. A wreck on the trail can easily cause a chain to jump (and has). I've been lucky that no chains have jumped into the spokes. However, when the FSR XC was new, my son took it to the trail and came back with a smashed dork disc following a wreck. I wonder what would have happened if the dorc disc wasn't there.
Old 12-25-10, 01:46 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think in the old days there was a lot less reason to have a dork disk. Now there is a lot less room between the chain and the spokes in low gear.
In the old days wheels had a proper 36 spokes like they are supposed to.

Originally Posted by roccobike
There are some very small dork discs that can be put on the wheel and are almost invisible.
But if no one can see it does it really count as a dork disk? Shouldn't it be sort of a non-dork disk? Or maybe Schroedinger's dork disk, because if no one sees it it isn't really there yet.

What a fun thread!
Old 12-25-10, 02:12 PM
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
In the old days wheels had a proper 36 spokes like they are supposed to.

What a fun thread!
In the old days proper wheels bloody-well had 32 spokes in the front wheel and bugger-all 40 in the rear. Since a proper rear wheel only had one cog on the Sturmey-Archer hub anyhow a "dork" disk wasn't necessary (unless you count the cog spacer/shims as "dork discs.")
Old 12-25-10, 05:15 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Gitarzan
I do all my own maintenance and learned to lace wheels in the 70's. I had an RD get bent in a lay down crash earlier that I didn't notice until I shifted down really low for a hill climb. Instant spoke destruction and money out of a poor newlywed's pocket.

It isn't because of any thing appearance wise, I had removed them from my first Derr equipped bike until this incident. No disk I could fit to the Campy NR hubs and freewheel but the next bike got a mini disc to prevent this problem. The small, clear disc that Cannondale fitted to the R500T id unobtrusive and suits my needs and paranoia.

Not because I am one of those "Dumb" Marines, sir. I have and engineering degree, a law degree and a year of graduate school. I know how to use the high and the low adjusters on the FD and RD pretty well.

Just don't prejudge my fellow Marine and me, please. Merry Christmas (sincerely) to you and yours.

Respectfully,
Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-25-10, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well after reading these pro-dork-post...I kept mine on after doing a bearing job the other night, besides it's chrome and my bike is black...perfect match!
Old 12-25-10, 05:39 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
The 70's sucked. I do not miss them. John Lennon agreed.
Old 12-25-10, 05:44 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you wear Bibs you are a candidate for a dork disk (are you a belt & suspenders kind of person).
Old 12-25-10, 05:54 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
The 70's sucked. I do not miss them. John Lennon agreed.
I don't understand this comment - The 70's started with the break up of the Beatles and ended with Jimmy Carter, in between we had Watergate, Disco, stagflation and multiple gas crises. HTFU!
Old 12-25-10, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
They're a good idea with some wheels--some Mavics, for instance. The design of the hubs on some wheels makes them more vulnerable to expensive flange and spoke damage from an overshifted chain. If you really hate spoke protectors, then you should ride standard wheels with Campag or Shimano hubs, 32 spokes, and regular rims--skip the Ksyriums and Bongwaters.
Old 12-25-10, 06:42 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
If you wear Bibs you are a candidate for a dork disk (are you a belt & suspenders kind of person).
??? Do dork disks and bibs serve the same purpose?

The things you learn reading BF!
Old 12-25-10, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have possibly the biggest dork disc ever on my 72 Schwinn Sports Tourer. It's 9 inches in diameter and 28 inches in circumference. It looks OK as there is a 34 skip tooth cog next to it. It also has a 54/36 chain ring. It is a project i have been working on as i got it for free. The frame is a little big so i may just get it running and sell it. I polished it and it sparkles as it is stainless steel. My Bianchi, OCR 3, Trek 330, World Sport are all DD free. My Trek 1400 and Gran Sport have the small plastic discs.
Old 12-25-10, 08:35 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The ultimate in Dork Disks

Attached Images
Old 04-15-17, 09:13 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bare Feet
Being so new, I had never heard of these faux pas, but the owner of the bike shop did! so he took the reflectors off right away. Then he took off the DD thing when he replaced my rear tire. When I heard the word "dork", it wasn't a look I wanted to intentionally be sporting. I'm pretty sure I'm not any faster, and I like to think I'm not a dork YOMV lol!!
OK so I was brought to this thread by a Google search. Sorry to revive an old thread but this comment got me thinking, what if by law you're obligated to have those reflectors on the bike, specially the ones on the wheels' spoke, what are the options?
Old 04-15-17, 09:22 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I seem to be "uninformed" on WHY, it's a faux pa to have the "so called", Dork Disc on the rear wheel!! I thought it was there to keep the "chain" from over riding the largest cog, so you all are saying, "it's not needed"?? So I take it that you all are saying that the "derailer" never goes so far out of adjustment that the chain can't override the largest cog?? If it's not needed, why does the mfg'er. of every bike made it seems put one on?? I'd like to be "enlightened" so let me know, thanks!
The dork disc essentially serves the same function as the "quotation marks" in the above paragraph.
Old 04-15-17, 09:31 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4809 Post(s)
Liked 3,938 Times in 2,560 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
I seem to be "uninformed" on WHY, it's a faux pa to have the "so called", Dork Disc on the rear wheel!! I thought it was there to keep the "chain" from over riding the largest cog, so you all are saying, "it's not needed"?? So I take it that you all are saying that the "derailer" never goes so far out of adjustment that the chain can't override the largest cog?? If it's not needed, why does the mfg'er. of every bike made it seems put one on?? I'd like to be "enlightened" so let me know, thanks!
Because with it, you will never experience the required initiation to road cycling manhood - the 8 mile walk home with a broken derailleur, hanger, 6 spokes and a bent chain. The follow up to this rite is the dance to replace all the damaged equipment without your cycling buddies ever hearing of it and your wife never seeing the money leave.

It is a generous understatement to call any "man" cowardly enough to use a pie plate to miss this ritual just a "dork". The offense is far deeper.

Ben
Old 04-15-17, 09:48 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a Campagnolo dork disc (must be silver-colored)?
Old 04-15-17, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8292 Post(s)
Liked 9,072 Times in 4,488 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
OK so I was brought to this thread by a Google search. Sorry to revive an old thread but this comment got me thinking, what if by law you're obligated to have those reflectors on the bike, specially the ones on the wheels' spoke, what are the options?
I don't know the law of your state but people I know who are compelled to have reflectors on their wheels by rules of events use a reflective tape on the rims. You can hardly see it during daylight but it lights up nicely as a reflector.
Old 04-15-17, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Become a scofflaw...

There are some tires with reflective sidewall stripes, or maybe some reflective graffics or lettering on the frame or rims would suffice.
Old 04-16-17, 06:59 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it until a police car comes up behind me with lights and siren to pull me over.
Old 04-16-17, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I wouldn't worry about it until a police car comes up behind me with lights and siren to pull me over.
Exactly. I don't see much evidence of enforcement campaigns when it comes to bicycle safety equipment. The only time it's likely to come up is if you fail the attitude test in an encounter with a LEO and he/she starts looking for stuff to write you up for.
Old 04-16-17, 09:50 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I may get shot down in flames by someone who knows the law better than I, but I understand that here in the UK shops are required by law to sell new bikes complete with bell and reflectors, but individuals are not required by law to have them on their bikes.

So like the dork discs, many reflectors and bells are ditched straight away.
Old 04-16-17, 12:56 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Unbeknownst to bicyclists and the public, it was recently learned that the Indiana legislature in 2016 removed the code that required a bell or other audible warning device in order to ride on roads. Go figure.
https://blog.bicycleindiana.org/2017...r-not-to-ring/

(no mention of spoke protectors)
Old 04-16-17, 02:53 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Dork discs need to be outlawed.
Old 04-16-17, 03:02 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
The dork disc is a warning sign to everyone that you do not know how to adjust the low limiter on your r.d. and are too cheap to have it done by a mechanic. My road bike originally came with one, so when I got it home, I went at the dreaded disc with wire cutters till it was obliterated.
There. Now, isn't that better?
Old 04-16-17, 04:07 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
The dork disc is a warning sign to everyone that you do not know how to adjust the low limiter on your r.d. and are too cheap to have it done by a mechanic. My road bike originally came with one, so when I got it home, I went at the dreaded disc with wire cutters till it was obliterated.
There. Now, isn't that better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.