Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 08:29 AM
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy, Folks. Got back from my tour of the Netherlands, Germany, and a bit of Poland and Sweden last week. Touring Europe by bike is certainly different from touring in North America, from the absence of toilet paper in Dutch campgrounds to the ubiquity of really rough cobblestones in "former" east German village streets! But the biggest difference, not unexpectedly, is that there is so much to see that one's ADD (Average Daily Distance) goes down drastically. So we (I had a German friend along for 3/4 of the trip) only did 2000 km in about 5 weeks riding. The Law of Camelot was in force: it rained almost every day, but only at convenient times, like during the night, or when we were eating, or inside a museum or church. The people were wonderful, the scenery was great, so was the food, but the old East German tank roads were a horror, as were some of the forest tracks and sand traps that their cycle routes follow.
John
Old 09-08-09, 08:51 AM
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Belated Reply to DnvrFox's 7/29 question about other sports.

I'm relatively young, 68 next month, but here's my list. I should point out that I was chained to an office chair too many hours a day to do much exercise until I was 62.

Cycling: I'm really a long-distance touring type, but I ride in charity rides up to a century a couple of times a year, and keep fit by riding hills with a small group once a week.
Walking/Running: one marathon per year, but train for it virtually all year.
Compete in lots and lots of 10Ks etc. I run intervals.
Swimming: daily up to a mile when at home. Usually compete in one 2K open-water swim per year
Combination: usually compete in one Olympic Tri per year
Kayaking: as the opportunity arises. I would like to kayak the Danube from source to Black Sea one day, but have more-or-less given up on the dream of kayaking the Yukon from source to sea. Too stiff.

John
Old 09-11-09, 02:26 AM
ITT

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm In

I'm in I'll be 67 this comong January 4th. Still riding strong. Five days a week 30+ miles per day.
Old 09-13-09, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Trek 520, Canondale fat tire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great forum! I'm not new to biking but I am to these new knees ;>)

It's been a while since I did anything long distance but I'm working up to it. Maybe a fall trip is on the horizon.

I was just wondering if I should go with panniers or a trailer? I have big feet and don't want to keep jammin' the front bags.

Yeah, I'm 66 y/o in case there's any questions. The knees are really doing well after 3 years. I have high hopes. I can't say I love the hills but I really like it when they're behind me :0))

I ride every day (weather dependent). I ride to my workout at an exercise place then ride home - about 2 hours. Love biking as a warmup and as a cool down!

Keep pedllin'
Old 09-15-09, 02:30 PM

Bikes: schminn fitcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
off season exercise

What do all you young folks, do to keep your legs in shape when there is snow outside? Don't say keep riding I don't think that I could handle that. I am thinking some sort of stationary exercise bike. Thanks guys.
Old 09-15-09, 02:49 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by iowaguy
What do all you young folks, do to keep your legs in shape when there is snow outside? Don't say keep riding I don't think that I could handle that. I am thinking some sort of stationary exercise bike. Thanks guys.
Spinning classes at the rec center.
Old 09-17-09, 08:40 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'll be back in 16 months................ meanwhile, I'll lurk to keep myself informed of important stuff I should be planning for........
Old 09-17-09, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Bianchi xl boron, Trek WSD, Comotion Speedster, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indoor trainer and spinning classes. The classes can be either good or bad, depends on the instructor. Depending on what your goals are, you might want to pick up something like the Spinervals videos, they are pretty hard, especially for us middle aged guys. The Performance Travel Trac is a pretty good trainer.

Frank
Old 10-10-09, 04:36 PM
Banned.

Getting close to 70 - 27 days, and am getting a bit nervous.

What will it be like to be 70?

Any rituals?

Will my ?hair? turn brown again? Will I have ?hair? again?

I look at pictures of myself, and I think - that isn't me. That is not how I feel inside? Why do I look so old?
Old 10-10-09, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Getting close to 70 - 27 days, and am getting a bit nervous.

What will it be like to be 70?

Any rituals?

Will my ?hair? turn brown again? Will I have ?hair? again?

I look at pictures of myself, and I think - that isn't me. That is not how I feel inside? Why do I look so old?
Well "youngster" it will feel just like now.

Our ritual for that birthday was the same as all the others; give thanks for another year to do good.

Hair? Hmmm...I don't remember any hair. But, then I was still a bit hypoxic with the mile high altitude

I have a T-shirt that expresses how I feel: Vintage Goods. Aged like fine wine; but not at peak of perfection yet.
Old 10-12-09, 06:45 AM

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Trek 520, Canondale fat tire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter is the time to switch gears and get on my one speed Rossignols (skis)! That's the nice part of living in a 4 season region that there are plenty of opportunities to cross-train. To be sure I'll miss biking but hopefully my legs will stay in tune for the coming bike season. But then, during the summer, I keep thinking my legs will get in good shape for skiing.

Skiing on artificial knees is obviously not the same as before but I'm out there and I think that's what counts. I think.

First frost this morning.
Old 10-26-09, 01:04 PM

Bikes: Lemond, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 71 and in April of this year finished a nine day 567k tour in Western Australia . There was another fellow my age who completed it as well but he really showed his age whereas I don't.
Old 10-26-09, 01:06 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
[QUOTE=jemappelleric;9928294]I'm 71 and in April of this year finished a nine day 567k tour in Western Australia . There was another fellow my age who completed it as well but he really showed his age whereas I don't.[/QUOTE]

Now we need a photo of you.

Old 10-29-09, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Santana Soverign, and a Klein Performance touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65 & over

I guess I qualify now. I turn 65 today. I haven't ridden in a long time because I have had some major surgeries.

The last one (cardiac bypass and aortic valve replacement) almost killed me, but I survived and now I'm ready to start riding again.

I suppose I should start with short flat rides on my single bike, but I hate to ride alone.

My single bike is a Klein Performance with 8 speed technology, it's geared to go fast with a 12-25 cassette. I used to ride it to work when I worked in Santa Ana. My tandem is a Santana Soverign that I had painted by Joe Bell.

Before 2000, my wife and I used to ride 6 to 8,000 miles per year, and we would always take a bicycle vacation. We used to tour with Scenic Cycling when Pat and Kathy Nolan ran the tours. Then Pat had the unmitigated gall to and get himself killed.

Patty and I have toured in all eleven western states. Now I want to do more.
Old 10-29-09, 10:54 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by steveseebold
I guess I qualify now. I turn 65 today. I haven't ridden in a long time because I have had some major surgeries.

The last one (cardiac bypass and aortic valve replacement) almost killed me, but I survived and now I'm ready to start riding again.

I suppose I should start with short flat rides on my single bike, but I hate to ride alone.

My single bike is a Klein Performance with 8 speed technology, it's geared to go fast with a 12-25 cassette. I used to ride it to work when I worked in Santa Ana. My tandem is a Santana Soverign that I had painted by Joe Bell.

Before 2000, my wife and I used to ride 6 to 8,000 miles per year, and we would always take a bicycle vacation. We used to tour with Scenic Cycling when Pat and Kathy Nolan ran the tours. Then Pat had the unmitigated gall to and get himself killed.

Patty and I have toured in all eleven western states. Now I want to do more.
Get back on the bikes.
I started rding at 65. It is Fun.

Just ride Slow......

Old 10-30-09, 12:46 AM

Bikes: Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok i am 69. 2-7-40 i am riding again, but i noticed that I am not as fast as I once was. I got a road bike, its a Peugot course, i found a place to put bike hooks and have three bikes hanging in there, ones a Cannondale M700, the other is a Trek 830, i have a bunch of good bikes up in North East Missouri in storage, can anyone help me get those bikes to Arkansas?? let me know if u can. i need a riding partner bad too. Hey some of u could be OTR truckers. near Macon Mo to HS ar.
Old 10-31-09, 07:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Denver:

Have you joined the Royal Order of the Eighth Decade yet. I see you have taken the days till your birthday off your signature.

Just in case I've missed it: Happy Birthday!

To celebrate the ice cream is on me when I see you again in a couple weeks.
Old 10-31-09, 08:14 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Latitude65
Denver:

Have you joined the Royal Order of the Eighth Decade yet. I see you have taken the days till your birthday off your signature.

Just in case I've missed it: Happy Birthday!

To celebrate the ice cream is on me when I see you again in a couple weeks.
Not for a few days yet.

But, thanks for the early happy birthday!
Old 11-02-09, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Avanti Modra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I hope you have a great birthday.....
DnvrFox

Just keep riding man , nothing really changes that much, I find that I can ride and still dream of
when I was 25 yoa and I feel great. Just don't set your goals too high and remember there are thousands if not millions of seventy year old people out there who wish they could do what we do.
I have my bike set up on a training set up that lifts the rear wheel so that it runs on a roller. You can adjust the tension so that it simulates riding on the road.
It 's great for spinning or doing a longer Stamina ride.
All the best to you all
Cheers Ian
Old 11-02-09, 07:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got a great complement from a 40 y/o Asst Fire Chief (female variety) today at the gym. She walked up to me and said: "You look GOOD!" You look better than most of these people who are half your age!

Now I know this gal and we are friends so I couldn't read too much into it. Especially since I know and have worked with her husband. But, it let me know my work is appreciated. Also, it helped me since in 18 days I add a new number to my age. (I will have completed the 3rd year of my 8th decade).

See what y'all have to look forward to when you join the ROED.
Old 11-02-09, 07:33 PM
Banned.

I had an interesting comment today.

I was talking with a lady church friend while working out at the gym. Sitting on a machine nearby was a friend of hers - a gentleman perhaps a couple of years older than I.

So, the lady friend turns to the gentleman and said, "Do you know Denver Fox?"

He looked at me and said, "No, but I have heard of him. He is the guy who works out and exercises so vigorously that he puts all the rest of us to shame."

I didn't quite know how to respond.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-02-09 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 07:36 PM

Bikes: mad wagon , Speciallized Epic, Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi, yall 65 last july got my 1st ride on aug. and got bucked off, got back on and am enjoying the health benefits. loss 21 lbs and trying for 23 lbs more by Jan. type II diabeties got me moving to control it by diet and exercise. 6ft2in and was 244lbs. Feel great. Now up to 20 miles and not having to rest.
Old 11-02-09, 08:44 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The Benjamin Button Syndrome

Lately I am feeling like the movie, "Benjamin Button", where the main character gets younger as the years go by. Last summer I injured my back and was laid up most of the summer. Started walking and then this past spring got out my old 70s bike I used to commute with. That has got me hooked on biking to the extent that I rode 51 miles last Sunday. The computer on my hybrid "comfort" bike is about to hit 1000 miles. This does not include riding on my old road bike. As mentioned in another thread, my idea is to get in shape for when I eventually "grow old". Not in a category with some of the other amazing people on this site but definitely happy with just feeling great and being within 3 pounds of my weight when age 25. New life at age 74!
Old 11-04-09, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro 10 Chorus, Gios single speed, Pedal Force RS2 10 chorus, CAAD5 10 Centaur, Diamondback dirt bike, Fuji Fixed Gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, all! I turned 66 on November 2nd. Just noticed this thread and thought I should turn myself in. I ride fixed gear, single speed and regular 10 speed, and ride as much as I can. I am trying to get down to my weight as of age 25, but I really wasn't very healthy in a lifestyle sense back then, so I am taking liberties with a new target weight - I'm shooting for about 145, but my aim hasn't been great lately. I still have about 10 lbs. to go. I work out about 6 days a week, and try to get in at least .5 to an hour's swimming laps if I can. Tha gym has an indoor pool. I live in Texas, so I am fortunate to have pretty good cycling weather.
Old 11-04-09, 12:30 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by RoyIII
Hello, all! I turned 66 on November 2nd. Just noticed this thread and thought I should turn myself in. I ride fixed gear, single speed and regular 10 speed, and ride as much as I can. I am trying to get down to my weight as of age 25, but I really wasn't very healthy in a lifestyle sense back then, so I am taking liberties with a new target weight - I'm shooting for about 145, but my aim hasn't been great lately. I still have about 10 lbs. to go. I work out about 6 days a week, and try to get in at least .5 to an hour's swimming laps if I can. Tha gym has an indoor pool. I live in Texas, so I am fortunate to have pretty good cycling weather.

Welcome - another 65+'r swimmer and bicycler!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.