Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 03:51 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
Time to hook up the HRM on your commute... it'll be easy to see your exertion level with a few averages logged... Birdys on Stelvios fly also.. but the Kojak is probably a better compromise..
I have done 2 commutes with the HRM... not enough to get some averages, but enough to get an idea.

I felt very similar the 2 days, and the weather was very similar as well. I only clock time in to work, then the wind is very low.

I also pumped both the Swift and the Birdy to 100psi. The Swift has a Conti GP at the front, and a Primo Comet Kevlar with a Slime liner on the back.

The Birdy, weighed this morning sans luggage, is 12.6kg. I must guess the Swift at 9.5kg sans luggage (both cases luggage is a backpack).

So, the times were 56min for the Swift, 57min for the Birdy. Both cases the HRav was 129bpm. In the Birdy run, the HRmax was 213 so it picked up some interference somewhere, which might alter the average a bit, if anything it might then be lower without the interference. the Swift max was 167bpm, that is probably real.

I think the 1 minute difference can easily be explained by the extra mass for the Birdy, since there is a not insignificant amount of uphill. There was also 1kg extra luggage on the Birdy in the backpack. Plus the Swift gearing is more suitable, and the derailer runs slightly more efficiently. Plus on the Swift run, there was another roadie cyclist in front of me for a few minutes which often has the effect of putting in more effort, although I tried not to. That may have made a few seconds difference.

The Birdy sure is a whole lot more comfortable. The Swift sure feels a whole lot faster.

Seems to me that tiny difference in speed (less than 2%!) is not worth it on the Swift.

On the plus side, the Birdy is a whole lot faster now that I have the tires sorted. I doubt that the Marathon Racer will have a significant impact over the Plus.

Last edited by jur; 02-05-09 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 04:36 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by yangmusa
I'm wondering about getting a rear rack too. I already have the front lowrider which covers my everyday needs. I would only need the rear rack for occasional short tours - hence I'm wondering if the $140 is really worth it, since I won't use it that frequently. ThorUSA has a Pletcher seatpost mounted rack for $45-ish (that he tells me can easily be adapted to the Birdy's 35 mm seatpost), and it's rated for 18 lbs which should be enough for my tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat (stove and other stuff in front panniers). Ok, it won't fold with the bike, but on the other hand since I won't use it that often it'll be easier to take on and off than the Birdy rear rack.

Any ideas on pros and cons of either approach?
The Pletscher rack will add unsprung weight to the rear wheel, that is the only drawback I can see besides folding.

It may be possible to attach the stays for the Pletscher rack to to same point as where the Birdy stays go, and so minimise unsprung weight. I'd say the luggage capacity would go down a bit but not by much. You'll need to see how much pulling back the top swiveling attachment point can handle.
Old 02-05-09, 04:46 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
The Pletscher rack will add unsprung weight to the rear wheel, that is the only drawback I can see besides folding.
I should have specified I was considering the Pletscher Orion (though people who have used the suspension pannier rack claim it does actually work...) I'm not sure I need panniers on the back - R&M themselves recommend carrying most of the weight on the front, and also I don't know if rear panniers would fit with my big feet

I hadn't actually considered mounting the Pletscher suspension rack to the Birdy mounting point... hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'd have to say I think the suspension rack looks a bit.. <cough> dorky.. but maybe the ability to fit panniers, should I have to, is worth it?
Old 02-05-09, 05:19 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The Pletscher Quickrack Suspension might actually allow you to fold if mounted on the Birdy points. I'm just not too sure about the pannier hanging ability, but it looks a whole lot better than the Orion to me. If you did hang a pannier, you always have the option to take the stays down to the axle points, or you would need the rear mudguard stays for the pannier support.
Old 02-05-09, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Birdy Red 8 speed, Birdy Blue 21 Speed, Birdy Monocoque 24 Speed, 2002 Devinci Desperado, 1996 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
On the plus side, the Birdy is a whole lot faster now that I have the tires sorted. I doubt that the Marathon Racer will have a significant impact over the Plus.
You may want to look at the North American Schwalbe Site https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires

The Marathon Racer and the Kojak are each rated at 6 bars for speed whereas the Marathon Plus is rated at 3. (The rating system is: 6 is outstanding for class and 3 is average. I'm not sure what that translates to in rolling resistance)

If you open "Comments" on the Marathon Racer, The most recent comment is from someone who reports noticing a big difference when they changed from Plus to Racer on their recumbent.

The weights are:
Marathon Plus 510gm
Marathon Racer 260gm (250gm less)
Kojak 185gm (325gm less)

David

Last edited by energyandair; 02-05-09 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-09, 08:36 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, I have read those; I suppose what I mean is, that "other factors" are beginning to dominate the commuting time, in this case, weight, wind resistance and such-like.

I am thinking along the lines that while the racer will be faster than the Plus, I suspect the difference is now likely obscured by those "other factors." For one thing, I will need to be more accurate with the time keeping - I have been rounding to the nearest minute since stopping for lights slows me down a bit and that is unpredictable. So the commute won't cut it for accuracy.
Old 02-06-09, 05:59 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Of course I got a puncture on the way home in the "puncture-proof" Marathon Plus. Ordinary small piece of glass. I was completely unsuccessful in finding the puncture, so gave up in the end and walked to the train station and caught a train home.
Old 02-13-09, 04:40 PM

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I fitted Stelvios last night, can't wait to go for a ride! I would have taken the Birdy to work today, but the forecast was for rain. They were quite challenging to fit, very tight on the rim - and I really shouldn't have been a cheapskate and reused my original 18x1.5 tubes, they're bigger than the tires! My only concern with the Stelvios is that they'll lower the already low top gear still further... I haven't measured, but they're visibly much smaller than the Maxxis.

On an unrelated note: my chain keeps falling off at the rear when I fold. That happened every time at first, but then I seemed to solve it by folding fast. I don't think I'm doing anything different now, but the last few times the chain has come off every single time. Could the chain be too long? This may well be my lack of practice, rather than a technical problem, but any advice much appreciated.
Old 02-13-09, 05:30 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wouldn't have thought falling off at the rear was possible... is it falling off the smallest cog to between the cog and frame?

Is the derailer pulling properly to the back?

Looking at chain length is not a bad idea. Put it on the biggest sprocket and make the chain as short as possible.
Old 02-13-09, 05:34 PM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"I fitted Stelvios last night, can't wait to go for a ride! I would have taken the Birdy to work today, but the forecast was for rain. They were quite challenging to fit, very tight on the rim - and I really shouldn't have been a cheapskate and reused "my original 18x1.5 tubes"

I doubt that will work, not recomended from my experience as the tyres get pulled of the rim with oversized tubes.but is you got them to work OK with 1.5 , then fine.
Old 02-13-09, 05:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
I wouldn't have thought falling off at the rear was possible...
It is apparently possible, sadly...

Originally Posted by jur
is it falling off the smallest cog to between the cog and frame?
No, it falls off the derailleur jocket wheel/chain retainer. I couldn't find any clear pictures of the folded bike, so have used a non-folded pic from Flickr. Don't know if it makes sense?

Originally Posted by jur
Is the derailleur pulling properly to the back?
Not quite sure what you mean, but it seems to shift normally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
birdy chain sketch.JPG (79.9 KB, 258 views)
Old 02-16-09, 08:02 PM
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I wouldn't have thought falling off at the rear was possible... is it falling off the smallest cog to between the cog and frame?

Is the derailer pulling properly to the back?

Looking at chain length is not a bad idea. Put it on the biggest sprocket and make the chain as short as possible.
Actually, the chain catcher will only work when it is in the highest gear. This is what I would do: 1) shift it to the highest (hardest to pedal) gear; 2) adjust the chain catcher so that it is riding about 1mm above the chain.

Now, when you fold, it should catch the chain and keep it on the bike. You have front chainguards, right?
Old 02-16-09, 08:07 PM
Car free since 1995

Originally Posted by jur
I have done 2 commutes with the HRM... not enough to get some averages, but enough to get an idea.

I felt very similar the 2 days, and the weather was very similar as well. I only clock time in to work, then the wind is very low.

I also pumped both the Swift and the Birdy to 100psi. The Swift has a Conti GP at the front, and a Primo Comet Kevlar with a Slime liner on the back.

The Birdy, weighed this morning sans luggage, is 12.6kg. I must guess the Swift at 9.5kg sans luggage (both cases luggage is a backpack).

So, the times were 56min for the Swift, 57min for the Birdy. Both cases the HRav was 129bpm. In the Birdy run, the HRmax was 213 so it picked up some interference somewhere, which might alter the average a bit, if anything it might then be lower without the interference. the Swift max was 167bpm, that is probably real.

I think the 1 minute difference can easily be explained by the extra mass for the Birdy, since there is a not insignificant amount of uphill. There was also 1kg extra luggage on the Birdy in the backpack. Plus the Swift gearing is more suitable, and the derailer runs slightly more efficiently. Plus on the Swift run, there was another roadie cyclist in front of me for a few minutes which often has the effect of putting in more effort, although I tried not to. That may have made a few seconds difference.

The Birdy sure is a whole lot more comfortable. The Swift sure feels a whole lot faster.

Seems to me that tiny difference in speed (less than 2%!) is not worth it on the Swift.

Actually, that should mean that your Birdy is way outperforming your Swift. The Plus should be about 2-3MPH slower at the same wattage as the Stelvio without a liner. I would think that it would still be slower than a Comet with a liner. Of course, this could all just be road quality. I'm sure that your Swift would burn your Birdy badly on an uphill climb on smooth road.

(Also, without a power meter, the error is much greater than the point estimate.)
Old 02-16-09, 11:33 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pm124
Actually, the chain catcher will only work when it is in the highest gear. This is what I would do: 1) shift it to the highest (hardest to pedal) gear; 2) adjust the chain catcher so that it is riding about 1mm above the chain.

Now, when you fold, it should catch the chain and keep it on the bike. You have front chainguards, right?
I do shift to the highest gear before folding. The chain catcher may be quite a bit more than 1 mm above the chain - that's another thing I'll have to check!

I do have front chain guards, yes.
Old 02-19-09, 03:32 PM
Car free since 1995

Yangmusa, yes, try adjusting it. Jur's excellent advice about the chain is good, perhaps taking a link off will help. The only other advice I have is to be Zen and quick when folding it.
Old 02-19-09, 03:46 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pm124
Yangmusa, yes, try adjusting it. Jur's excellent advice about the chain is good, perhaps taking a link off will help. The only other advice I have is to be Zen and quick when folding it.
Actually looking at the chain length was his own idea.

Now that I know where the chain is falling off, well I have the same. In my case it is caused by me replacing the long cage derailer (Alivio) with a medium cage one (XT), which doesn't gather the same amount of chain, so the chain becomes slack and if I'm not careful about making sure it stays hanging on the catcher, it will fall off.

I'm putting a long cage RD (LX) back on this weekend; I need the medium cage XT for another project.
Old 02-19-09, 03:51 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I also cured a very persistent click on my Birdy... it would go click at the front wheel with every wheel revolution. I looked at the bearings, the speedo magnet, little rubber bits sticking up off the tyre, the magnet again, felt all spokes for a broken one, the valve locknut... nothing.

Then I noticed it gives 2 clicks every revolution, plus it gets worse if I tilt the bike over... OK that's spokes! So I plucked all the spokes and there was one that's lost tension. Comparing mine with my workmate's his spokes are a lot tighter. There is no threadlocker on the nipples; I will have to do the entire wheel to make sure it doesn't happen again. I am speculating it happened during the rough touring, or my wheels are simply more used than his.
Old 02-19-09, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I'm putting a long cage RD (LX) back on this weekend; I need the medium cage XT for another project.
Could there be a Moultonesque air of mystery to that disclosure? ..
Old 03-03-09, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sizing help please... Interested in a birdy, but cannot get sizing info. Searched and found that effective top tube was 58cm but position of bottom bracket made the bike a "medium" size.

On road bikes, I ride 58cm (C-C) seat tube; 57.5 cm top tube, and 110cm or 120 cm stem. I'm 6 ft. Would I be cramped on a Birdy (sit too upright)? Are their options on stem/handbar to stretch out a bit?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-09, 12:58 PM

Bikes: HP Grasshopper, Brompton, Claud Butler Tourer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the same height as you and have recently purchased a birdy with a comfort stem, just couldn't get it set up right, felt too cramped and too upright. AVC in Bath swapped the stem for the standard stem and its a different bike, feels very similar to my touring bike now

Hope this helps
Old 03-03-09, 01:33 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trad
Sizing help please... Interested in a birdy, but cannot get sizing info. Searched and found that effective top tube was 58cm but position of bottom bracket made the bike a "medium" size.

On road bikes, I ride 58cm (C-C) seat tube; 57.5 cm top tube, and 110cm or 120 cm stem. I'm 6 ft. Would I be cramped on a Birdy (sit too upright)? Are their options on stem/handbar to stretch out a bit?

Many thanks in advance.
You found correct... the Birdy is definitely also a medium ie 55cm top tube bike. You would need the sports stempost and you could quite easily fit a stem to the stempost, putting the bars further forward again. This would increase the tiller effect but I don't see how that is bad, per se. The sports stempost puts it out of knee's way. I'm 5'10 and my body and arms are at 45deg to the horizontal.
Old 03-16-09, 11:12 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Found a broken spoke, back wheel non-drive side today...
Old 03-17-09, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
Found a broken spoke, back wheel non-drive side today...
Jur,

I was looking at some of your pictures.

https://members.iinet.net.au/~jdekter...sentr2008.html

You are going over some rough surfaces. What kind of tires are you using?

I am avoiding going over surfaces better than that but maybe my Marathons can handle more than I expect.

Kam
Old 03-17-09, 03:18 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
These were the cheap original tyres on the Mini.

I think tyres can handle anything that won't actually cut into the tread surface. The question is more one of grip on said surface. Last weekend I took my Moulton out for a bush bash MTB ride over some pretty stony stuff, and I was running high pressure Continental road tyres! They handled it surprisingly well.

In the early years of the Tour de France, much of the race was on badly-surfaced dirt roads, but those chaps raced with their skinny tyres on it.

So you could ride over almost any surface with the Marathon Racers as long as you can maintain balance and the tyres won't get cut. That's really all what tyre tread is for - getting a grip on the surface.
Old 03-17-09, 01:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kamtsa
You are going over some rough surfaces. What kind of tires are you using?

I am avoiding going over surfaces better than that but maybe my Marathons can handle more than I expect.
My wife and I have ridden up Mount Tamalpais (Marin County, CA, USA) on a fire road with rough and loose gravel and sand. She on her Moulton with Schwalbe Stelvios and my on my Birdy with the original Maxxis (now Stelvios too).

I think Jur is right - the main problem might be grip. We were both fine going up. My fatter Maxxis tires were more confidence inspiring on the way down - but we were both a lot slower than the MTB folks who were bombing down the path!

If you do lots of offroading, it might be worth getting knobbly tires. But for the occasional jaunt offroad your Marathons will be fine, just take care on any loose surfaces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.