Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador, doped or not?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador, doped or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 11:56 AM

Bikes: Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesDiablesRouge
Why anyone thinks any rider is clean is beyond me. Testing is great but there will always be technology that is ahead of the doping controls.
Such as which drugs or techniques?

In the past and even recently controls lagged behind doping in cycling but the gap is closing. Innocent until proven guilty in my self righteous opinion. Besides don't stage winners and the yellow get tested everyday?and he did win the tour before remember? Could be improved form and maturity along with training this year from lance befoe the season who is a great climber himself.

I'm a realist about our sport. Doping does exist, but so do great moments of athleticism without it.
Old 07-23-09, 11:57 AM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Srsly dude, please shut up with that trash.

Lets love our sport.
Old 07-23-09, 11:58 AM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by asv
Contrador's new found ability to TT this year is a little suspicious, but he is clean in my book until tests show otherwise.
I doubt any of them are clean, but remember, Contador is just coming into the prime age range for endurance athletes, who tend to mature around (or after) age 25.

Last edited by cooker; 07-23-09 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 12:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fauxto nick
Srsly dude, please shut up with that trash.

Lets love our sport.
+1000

this kind of talk just ruins the tour for me really. I just want to watch people ride bikes. It they dope and get busted then I'll care. For now, I just want to see the race
Old 07-23-09, 12:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's impressive how much he can stand up. Very inspiring.
Old 07-23-09, 12:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rancid
Such as which drugs or techniques?

In the past and even recently controls lagged behind doping in cycling but the gap is closing. Innocent until proven guilty in my self righteous opinion. Besides don't stage winners and the yellow get tested everyday?and he did win the tour before remember? Could be improved form and maturity along with training this year from lance befoe the season who is a great climber himself.

I'm a realist about our sport. Doping does exist, but so do great moments of athleticism without it.
I don't believe their is a test approved yet that detects autologous blood doping. WADA is working on it & has for a long while. We probably won't know until they announce the first positive just as they did with CERA.
Old 07-23-09, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah and Wiggins is a natural climber too
Old 07-23-09, 03:42 PM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daveF
Innocent until proven guilty yes. But so are the other more than 100 Spanish riders who frequented Dr. Fuentes office. Remember which team he came from?
Team Discovery?
Old 07-23-09, 03:55 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it's people's own poor fitness that galvanizes them to make these accusations so feverishly.
Old 07-23-09, 03:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe@vwvortex
Yeah and Wiggins is a natural climber too
no wiggins is a good pursuit rider which grants hi
great endurance for chasing and attacking, applicable intelligence in attacking, and a relatively good climbing build. He's British, and most of them are track, sprint, and pursuit stars before they ever touch mountains.

Being one of the fastest riders in the world in his discipline doesn't mean he'll suck at everything else, especially when it's pursuit.
Old 07-23-09, 03:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by voltman
Team Discovery?
Nope, hired to Team Discovery in 07. He was on Liberty Seguros prior to 07. Liberty Seguros folded as a result of Operation Puerto in 06. Their team director Monolo Saiz was linked to Puerto. Vino had gotten a contract with Liberty that year. The team could not contest the TDF because too many of their riders were linked to Puerto including guess who? Alberto Contador of course. The team's license was taken away from Saiz & given to the Kazahkstan Cycling Federation & Astana was born.
Old 07-23-09, 04:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rancid
no wiggins is a good pursuit rider which grants hi
great endurance for chasing and attacking, applicable intelligence in attacking, and a relatively good climbing build. He's British, and most of them are track, sprint, and pursuit stars before they ever touch mountains.

Being one of the fastest riders in the world in his discipline doesn't mean he'll suck at everything else, especially when it's pursuit.
And, especially since he has lost 11 to 15 kg.
Old 07-23-09, 04:00 PM

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Microtom
Imo, it just seems a bit too easy for Contador to be credible. Of course, it's just an opinion not based on any facts, but I find it very hard to believe that he can climb that fast so effortlessly in comparison to others.
Greg? Is that you?
Old 07-23-09, 04:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to believe Floyd's comeback a day after getting dropped badly was real, too, as it was the most dramatic comeback I had ever seen (even better than Lemond's TT to nail Fignon). I am finding it too difficult to believe a string bean like Contador can smoke Cancellara (Olympic and multiple World Champion TT'er on top of his game) and drop Andy Schleck twice like he was tied to a pole without some PED. Maybe it is too good to be true....I hope not.
Old 07-23-09, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the blood passport program, it's getting harder and harder to modify the blood enough to matter without getting caught. I'm hoping that he's clean. Might be a false hope, we'll know in another month or so.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 07-23-09, 04:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asv
Contrador's new found ability to TT this year is a little suspicious, but he is clean in my book until tests show otherwise.
contador has always been a very good time trialist. do you mean "new found" to you?

ed rader
Old 07-23-09, 04:49 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daveF
Nope, hired to Team Discovery in 07. He was on Liberty Seguros prior to 07. Liberty Seguros folded as a result of Operation Puerto in 06. Their team director Monolo Saiz was linked to Puerto. Vino had gotten a contract with Liberty that year. The team could not contest the TDF because too many of their riders were linked to Puerto including guess who? Alberto Contador of course. The team's license was taken away from Saiz & given to the Kazahkstan Cycling Federation & Astana was born.
Contador was linked to OP because the initials AC appeared in the doping ledgers. Well, guess which Spanish rider tested positive a while back? Antonio Colom.
Old 07-23-09, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember him losing significant time to Cadel Evans in the final TT just two years ago. So yes, newfound.
Old 07-23-09, 04:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wiggins cracked, though. It's the effortless, superhuman stuff that appears suspicious.

Up until a couple of days ago, I thought Contador was clean. Now, I'm starting to wonder. It;s all all a bit too superhuman.

Nothing proven, obviously - all just speculation. But I always remember the general rule that when someone is pushing it to the limit but not breaking a sweat, then it's time to wonder. Did you see Contador at the end of the TT? He may have been grimacing, but he seemed pretty composed over the line, not even a breath.
Old 07-23-09, 05:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think so, but if you check how much Land and Contador weigh, Contador is 31lbs lighter than Lance. I think that is the difference.
Old 07-23-09, 06:24 PM
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think it's people's own poor fitness that galvanizes them to make these accusations so feverishly.

year after year. top rider after top rider. positive test after positive test. you may be able to proceed as a fan without questions of doubt. however, it is perfectly within reason for a fan to have doubt.

i say this knowing my fitness is no where near poor. later.
Old 07-23-09, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll never understand why people who focus so heavily on doping even bother watching. If you hate the sport and the riders so much, don't watch. It's pretty simple.
Old 07-23-09, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is the funniest quote of the day!
Old 07-23-09, 06:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotte
Wiggins cracked, though. It's the effortless, superhuman stuff that appears suspicious.

Up until a couple of days ago, I thought Contador was clean. Now, I'm starting to wonder. It;s all all a bit too superhuman.

Nothing proven, obviously - all just speculation. But I always remember the general rule that when someone is pushing it to the limit but not breaking a sweat, then it's time to wonder. Did you see Contador at the end of the TT? He may have been grimacing, but he seemed pretty composed over the line, not even a breath.
I don't know if doping makes it any easier, I just think it makes you go faster.
Old 07-23-09, 06:57 PM

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by subframe
I'll never understand why people who focus so heavily on doping even bother watching. If you hate the sport and the riders so much, don't watch. It's pretty simple.
Some of us love the sport. And we love watching riders strive to find new limits, both personally and humanly. Doping is unfortunately a very big concern within the sport. I've recently become ever more aware of this as I have some new friends, who's son is turning out to be a Nationals level racer and looking to consider a future within professional cycling. It's not hate that fuels most of those concerned with drug usage and doping within sport, it's love. Apparently that's a little too complicated for some to understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.