Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXVI

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXVI

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 05:49 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
I am confused. Is this C&V?

It does not matter since THE END IS NEAR!
Old 09-30-17, 05:51 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@jtaylor996, that's awesome! I hope she had a good time and will be riding her mtb regularly!

Race for me tomorrow, first race of our series, aka the start of our TT season. I honestly don't know what to expect, I've just been a little distracted by the mtb stuff. But felt pretty darn good on the bike during my opener ride today, I'm optimistic.

Next weekend we're supposed to go sailing but we may charter the boat out & go up to Big Bear instead, for the purposes of mountain biking. One of my racing rivals & I have been meaning to get out together on the mtb, so I messaged her today to see if Big Bear will work for her, it might. We'll chitchat after the race tomorrow.

Last week, I alluded to a mansplainin incident that occurred last weekend. It was pretty bad, went on all weekend long, telling me what to do on the bike, him getting frustrated with me for "not listening" (hey I haven't asked for your advice or coaching), and him telling me at various points to get a new bike, new wheels, different tires, wider bars and smaller grips.

Finally, I had enough. I got really mad and kind of let him have it. He was sorry and said he'd bite his tongue from here on out. I wasn't sure I'd want to ride with him again, if he was going to be biting his tongue the whole time. And then I decided- you know what? It will be good for him, let him practice biting his tongue!

Anyway, he has been away since and gets home tonight. Texted me today asking if I want to ride Mt Pinos tomorrow. Major olive branch since he knows that's probably the one thing he could suggest that would get a Hell Yeah from me. I've been wanting to ride it for months now but can't ever get anyone to go. Trying to decide if I really want to drive up with him (45 min) as he has offered. I don't really want to "talk". I just want to ride my bike in peace. We'll see.

Coach is laid up with a broken foot, I wound up calling him yesterday to check on how he is doing and we wound up talking about the various equipment issues my mtb friend brought up last weekend. It was a great conversation, I understand the pros and cons of the various options better than I did before (when I bought the bike I just asked Coach's and Fitter's opinion, they gave me a short list and I picked the cheapest one). Basically: I'm on a really appropriate bike for me and now I can actually articulate why.

Also a pretty interesting side conversation on the nature of learning a skill like mtb-ing.

The trail up at Pinos: 8+ miles of singletrack climbing, with bailouts all along to hop off the trail onto a nearby road if the trail proves too much- could happen because I'll be on post-race legs. If there's time, we can also do the short fireroad climb to the peak, the trail only goes to the Nordic Center, not quite to the top.

Should be a fun day. Although if the mtb plan falls through somehow, I'll be fine with lying on the sofa all afternoon.
Old 09-30-17, 05:59 PM
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...stupid non motorized bike.
Hot.
Old 09-30-17, 06:09 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
You're in the wrong forum
I figure the guy who set up the ride will post a report in C&V.

Old 09-30-17, 06:11 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
...stupid non motorized bike.
Bottecchias are hot.

Old 09-30-17, 06:12 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13718 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,508 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Man oh man - they are cramming in as much construction as they can before the Superbowl. I can't remember the last time that I've hit so many detours on a ride. Oh well, karma balanced it out - I met up with the wife and kids at the lake and ordered a beer and cheese curds recovery meal. Downed the beer and when the curds were ready, they had another beer on the tray. "Uh, I already had my beer." "Well, I was told to offer this Surly Hell to whomever picked up the cheese curds - we accidently poured it so either you drink it or it gets poured down the drain." "Okay, if I have to!"
You're very helpful.
Old 09-30-17, 06:13 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
...so I'm out on the Bottecchia this morning, cranking out a quick 40 with intervals on the MUP, and then a return loop through town.

When I'm doing intervals, I like to chase people down who are far ahead of me, then dial it back to rest, then find someone riding ahead and again accelerate to catch up. Like having a mechanical rabbit at the dog track. It helps to pass the time.

Anyway, I'm cruising on the MUP at a moderate pace, feel recovered in terms of breathing and heart rate (which I judge without a monitor, mostly by how close I am to puking).
This is the method I use too.

Old 09-30-17, 06:14 PM
Mostly Harmless

Since it was said that the thread needs moar bikes, here's the current state of the Haanjo and Xenith (unfortunately, I did not get a close-up of the wrap job for @Velo Vol 's scrutiny. Also, the Xenith still has ped pedals on it from my cousin's test ride last weekend [tri-geek friend is borrowing the chain-whip/pedal wrench]).

Old 09-30-17, 06:15 PM
Mostly Harmless

^^^ Tha's a whole lotta real.

For real.
Old 09-30-17, 06:18 PM
Mostly Harmless

...you'll probably find this hard to believe (I know I did when I found out), but there is no place in Sacramento where you can order cheese curds. Not one.
How do you live?
Old 09-30-17, 06:20 PM
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by jtaylor996
Guess what, y'all?

I got my wife on a FREAKING MTB today out on the trails. She did pretty good. She was very scared going into it, but we went easy, and then bailed to the park roads when we needed. Was awesome.

And we found this out in the middle of nowhere on one of the park roads (these roads are all closed and falling apart, barely there, fallen trees etc).

Old 09-30-17, 06:24 PM
Mostly Harmless

...so I'm out on the Bottecchia this morning, cranking out a quick 40 with intervals on the MUP, and then a return loop through town.

When I'm doing intervals, I like to chase people down who are far ahead of me, then dial it back to rest, then find someone riding ahead and again accelerate to catch up. Like having a mechanical rabbit at the dog track. It helps to pass the time.

Anyway, I'm cruising on the MUP at a moderate pace, feel recovered in terms of breathing and heart rate (which I judge without a monitor, mostly by how close I am to puking). Up about a quarter mile ahead, I see a homeless guy with all his stuff in a trailer, so I accelerate a little bit.

He's pulling away from me. So I think, "Gee whiz you wuss, you can't catch a homeless guy pulling a trailer ? " Up goes the cadence, and I shift to a higher gear. I can sorta feel it now. He's not pulling away, but I'm not getting any closer. This goes on for about three miles, and I finally get close enough to see some details. His legs aren't moving at all...homeless guy pulling trailer with electric bike.

I never did pass him, ran out of MUP. Mechanical doping is the future of road bikes.
Cool story.
Old 09-30-17, 06:25 PM
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LAJ
Since it's vintage day.....

Nice mug.
Old 09-30-17, 06:31 PM
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Heathpack
@jtaylor996, that's awesome! I hope she had a good time and will be riding her mtb regularly!

Race for me tomorrow, first race of our series, aka the start of our TT season. I honestly don't know what to expect, I've just been a little distracted by the mtb stuff. But felt pretty darn good on the bike during my opener ride today, I'm optimistic.

Next weekend we're supposed to go sailing but we may charter the boat out & go up to Big Bear instead, for the purposes of mountain biking. One of my racing rivals & I have been meaning to get out together on the mtb, so I messaged her today to see if Big Bear will work for her, it might. We'll chitchat after the race tomorrow.

Last week, I alluded to a mansplainin incident that occurred last weekend. It was pretty bad, went on all weekend long, telling me what to do on the bike, him getting frustrated with me for "not listening" (hey I haven't asked for your advice or coaching), and him telling me at various points to get a new bike, new wheels, different tires, wider bars and smaller grips.

Finally, I had enough. I got really mad and kind of let him have it. He was sorry and said he'd bite his tongue from here on out. I wasn't sure I'd want to ride with him again, if he was going to be biting his tongue the whole time. And then I decided- you know what? It will be good for him, let him practice biting his tongue!

Anyway, he has been away since and gets home tonight. Texted me today asking if I want to ride Mt Pinos tomorrow. Major olive branch since he knows that's probably the one thing he could suggest that would get a Hell Yeah from me. I've been wanting to ride it for months now but can't ever get anyone to go. Trying to decide if I really want to drive up with him (45 min) as he has offered. I don't really want to "talk". I just want to ride my bike in peace. We'll see.

Coach is laid up with a broken foot, I wound up calling him yesterday to check on how he is doing and we wound up talking about the various equipment issues my mtb friend brought up last weekend. It was a great conversation, I understand the pros and cons of the various options better than I did before (when I bought the bike I just asked Coach's and Fitter's opinion, they gave me a short list and I picked the cheapest one). Basically: I'm on a really appropriate bike for me and now I can actually articulate why.

Also a pretty interesting side conversation on the nature of learning a skill like mtb-ing.

The trail up at Pinos: 8+ miles of singletrack climbing, with bailouts all along to hop off the trail onto a nearby road if the trail proves too much- could happen because I'll be on post-race legs. If there's time, we can also do the short fireroad climb to the peak, the trail only goes to the Nordic Center, not quite to the top.

Should be a fun day. Although if the mtb plan falls through somehow, I'll be fine with lying on the sofa all afternoon.
So, I guess, he knows not to cross you now....
Old 09-30-17, 06:32 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Nice mug.
I should have been selling white garage doors as a living.
Old 09-30-17, 06:36 PM
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8845 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
An old racing buddy of mine from the 80s showed up with a 1977 Team Raleigh, Campy SR, and Clement Criterium Seta sew-up tires that I sold him in '92 or '93. The tires still had my name inked on to the sidewalls.

Note the leather hairnet, wool jersey and the toe strapped tubular spares under the seat.

IMG_3797 by trsnrtr, on Flickr
Observations:

Nice bike including seat tube/frame pump
The dude looks like a guy who doesn't take crap from anybody
The sky is a gorgeous blue
Looks hilly out there
Old 09-30-17, 06:39 PM
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
This is the method I use too.
I use whether I can feel my pulse beating in my whole head instead of just my temples.
Old 09-30-17, 06:42 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
If his immenseness @patentcad wants to swing by and start the new thread tonight it's alright with me. All I ask is that the numbering sequence be maintained.
Your approval is hardly required fredly. You are drunk on BF Moderator power.

We have all seen this movie before, it does not end well.
Old 09-30-17, 06:47 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Going out on a limb here, but it appears as if I'll get my first ever podium finish. Am I drunk with the expectation? Have we seen this movie before? Does it end well?

Old 09-30-17, 06:49 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
We got a new Prius Prime. They were giving them away. A $30K MSRP car: $3500 cash from Toyota, $4500 federal tax credit, $1100 NY State tax credit. We like it. Nicer than the old Prius, better mpgs. And we paid like $9K less.

Like on the last car we went for a Toyota Platinum 5 year/125K mile bumper to bumper warranty for $1100. But it's a Toyota, it probably won't break.

Old 09-30-17, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by trsnrtr
bottecchias are hot.
+1
Old 09-30-17, 06:55 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
We got a new Prius Prime. They were giving them away. A $30K MSRP car: $3500 cash from Toyota, $4500 federal tax credit, $1100 NY State tax credit. We like it. Nicer than the old Prius, better mpgs. And we paid like $9K less.

Like on the last car we went for a Toyota Platinum 5 year/125K mile bumper to bumper warranty for $1100. But it's a Toyota, it probably won't break.

Still not quite a Saturn.
Old 09-30-17, 06:59 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad

What flavor? Hybrid? PHEV?
Old 09-30-17, 07:02 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by rjones28
so, i guess, he knows not to cross you now....
��
Old 09-30-17, 07:05 PM
Has a magic bike

The emojis are broken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.