Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chocolate pea milk as a recovery drink?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chocolate pea milk as a recovery drink?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 06:39 AM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Fine. Glad you solved your problem. But why haven't you tried Lactaid milk or taken lactase tablets before drinking/eating dairy? Is almond milk ice cream as good as Breyers? Does it even exist?
Lactose is not the only problem.

Something else in milk increases pain in my old injuries, general phlegm, and respiratory irritation.
Old 09-06-17, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Fine. Glad you solved your problem. But why haven't you tried Lactaid milk or taken lactase tablets before drinking/eating dairy? Is almond milk ice cream as good as Breyers? Does it even exist?
why do I want to search for a specific brand or need to eat a supplement just drink a glass of milk?

Last edited by bleui; 09-06-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-06-17, 08:20 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I understand that those with allergies may want to seek out an alternative to cow's milk. And I'll be the first to admit that it is pretty weird that so many Americans, myself included, enjoy cow's milk so much. But I find it even weirder that people who merely find cow's milk 'gross' go out of their way to find something that's not cow's milk but is supposed to look/taste like it. I have nothing against plant protein (I consume plenty of it) but why make it 'milk' if you don't like milk?
Old 09-06-17, 08:26 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui
why do I want to search for a specific brand or need to eat a supplement just drink a glass of milk?
You don't. Buy milk, drink milk. But if it didn't come from a mammal, it's not milk, it's juice. Calling almond juice "milk" is disingenuous marketing designed to appeal to consumers through a sense of familiarity. Because no one is denying that "Fresh Nut Juice" would be a tough sell. Whether made from peas, cashews, almonds or hemp, it's juice.
Old 09-06-17, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,584 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Because no one is denying that "Fresh Nut Juice" would be a tough sell.

Made my morning on this windy, wet, gloomy day.
Old 09-06-17, 08:33 AM
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
You don't. Buy milk, drink milk. But if it didn't come from a mammal, it's not milk, it's juice. Calling almond juice "milk" is disingenuous marketing designed to appeal to consumers through a sense of familiarity. Because no one is denying that "Fresh Nut Juice" would be a tough sell. Whether made from peas, cashews, almonds or hemp, it's juice.
Well, not in certain quarters . . . .
Old 09-06-17, 08:53 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bleui
Why do you want to drink an imitation product instead. Every major grocery chain carries both Lactaid brand milk and their own store brand of zero lactose milk in every common level of fat content from full fat to skim. And the pills are ubiquitous. Drink what you want. I am just asking why you maintain that nut milks were a wonderful solution to a problem that had been solved decades ago.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-06-17, 10:02 AM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I hate milk. Have since I was a kid. What could be wrong with me?

Old 09-06-17, 10:05 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
How do you feel about peas?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-06-17, 10:19 AM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize

You were breastfed by your father?

Sorry. Old Rodney Dangerfield joke. Couldn't resist!

Milk (mammalian--not from peas), yum!
Old 09-06-17, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I've been using Naked Pea protein.

But the most recent batch is almost unpalatable. It has a disgusting livestock barnyard aftertaste.

:shudder:
For a summer, I worked in the chemical quality assurance lab of a baby formula factory. Part of my job every 30 minutes was to reconstitute the latest batch of powdered formula and perform flavor and aroma tests on it. Think wine tasting with all the swishing and gargling whatnot only with baby formula (and we had to swallow - no spitting into a fancy spittoon). As part of our training, we had to taste good and bad versions of all the products as well as their individual components. When protein levels tested low, we had to add back in casein, which is the major protein in milk. During our flavor and aroma training, we were taught that good casein had a taste that could be described as "barn-y" because it was supposed to taste like a clean dairy barn smells (I thought it tasted like the smell of a band aid, but what do I know). Casein that has gone bad has a flavor that has been described as "dirty barn-y" and I'll leave that flavor to your imagination/memory. Oddly, the best tasting thing we tasted in our training was coconut oil that had gone bad because spoiled coconut oil tastes like bacon fat.
Old 09-06-17, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Made my morning on this windy, wet, gloomy day.
me too.
Old 09-06-17, 10:47 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
So let me get this straight.

Chocolate pea milk is the FUTURE of recovery drinks.

Is that right??
Old 09-06-17, 10:51 AM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Slammed stems, 1x drivetrains, and chocolate pea milk. It's a Brave New World out there!
Old 09-06-17, 10:51 AM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Do they still make yoohoo?

They do, I always have a couple in the cooler on weekend ride days. I get it in a 10 pack of small 6.5oz. cartons, price is crazy cheap.

Nutritional facts aren't the exact same as chocolate milk but close, and depending on what you want they might be better.

Best part is that it tastes just a yummy as it did when I was a kid.
Old 09-06-17, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by himespau
For a summer, I worked in the chemical quality assurance lab of a baby formula factory. Part of my job every 30 minutes was to reconstitute the latest batch of powdered formula and perform flavor and aroma tests on it. Think wine tasting with all the swishing and gargling whatnot only with baby formula (and we had to swallow - no spitting into a fancy spittoon). As part of our training, we had to taste good and bad versions of all the products as well as their individual components. When protein levels tested low, we had to add back in casein, which is the major protein in milk. During our flavor and aroma training, we were taught that good casein had a taste that could be described as "barn-y" because it was supposed to taste like a clean dairy barn smells (I thought it tasted like the smell of a band aid, but what do I know). Casein that has gone bad has a flavor that has been described as "dirty barn-y" and I'll leave that flavor to your imagination/memory. Oddly, the best tasting thing we tasted in our training was coconut oil that had gone bad because spoiled coconut oil tastes like bacon fat.
I can't tell you how happy I am you shared this with us. I really can't.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-06-17, 11:02 AM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Slammed stems, 1x drivetrains, and chocolate pea milk. It's a Brave New World out there!
I'm disappointed that you left off ziploc bags.
Old 09-06-17, 11:05 AM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Morbier. The French cheese. Talk about barn-y tasting. Burnt barn at that.

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unsurprising that here in a forum where "Someone rides something different than me? Dear God, it must be crap. I'll tell them it's crap. I'm SURE it's crap because what I like must be the best" is the normal thread progression we have now come to "Geez, what's wrong with what *I* like? Why aren't you normal? Why are you into that other crap?"

Go spend a day in a dairy. Go actually spend time with the cows involved in the milk factories.

If that doesn't get you off milk, learn what's actually in it.

And if you still like it, feel free to back off those who for compassion or self-care reasons still don't. It's okay for other people to be different, even if they sometimes get lactose and casein confused when the point is clear either way.

Chocolate pea "milk" IS weird. But it's not bad. Pretty tasty! And it's far less weird than squeezing a mammal for its juice, and it's better for you (Yes, it actually is, look at your blood levels of oxide and compare them with those who don't eat animal protein — you're not DOOMED, you're just not consuming the most healthy options), and it still has refined sugar which is another whole terrible idea.
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug28450
Chapeau!
Old 09-06-17, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
if i was lactose intolerant I would be using whey protein isolate which is generally lactose free, some are available at the grocery still premixed in bottles.
Old 09-06-17, 11:06 AM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug28450
How could I have? You're right. I use them all the time to put my iPhone in!
Old 09-06-17, 11:15 AM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque

Go spend a day in a dairy. Go actually spend time with the cows involved in the milk factories.

But, but, but . . . what about all of those poor peas that are ripped, so insensitively, so excrutiatingly, from their little green pods in corporate factory farms all over the country, only to be practically smashed together--with complete strangers, no less--into little packets that are later frozen, hmmm? Why, you can even hear them screaming as they are torn from the arms of their family members!

Pea lives matter.
Old 09-06-17, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by redlude97
if i was lactose intolerant I would be using whey protein isolate which is generally lactose free, some are available at the grocery still premixed in bottles.
Right, because even though you really like milk, you just aren't going to accept a version treated with the same natural enzyme that should be in your stomach. A version that causes no problems whatsoever to almost all lactose intolerant people. You would rather consume something called (blech) whey protein isolate. I got it.

Please don't be offended. This thread keeps getting better and better.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 09-06-17, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Masque
Unsurprising that here in a forum where "Someone rides something different than me? Dear God, it must be crap. I'll tell them it's crap. I'm SURE it's crap because what I like must be the best" is the normal thread progression we have now come to "Geez, what's wrong with what *I* like? Why aren't you normal? Why are you into that other crap?"

And if you still like it, feel free to back off those who for compassion or self-care reasons still don't. It's okay for other people to be different, even if they sometimes get lactose and casein confused when the point is clear either way.

Chocolate pea "milk" IS weird. But it's not bad. Pretty tasty! And it's far less weird than squeezing a mammal for its juice, and it's better for you (Yes, it actually is, look at your blood levels of oxide and compare them with those who don't eat animal protein — you're not DOOMED, you're just not consuming the most healthy options), and it still has refined sugar which is another whole terrible idea.
This is so stupid. We are talking exclusively about people who like milk. Who want to drink milk. But who, upon becoming lactose intolerant, refuse to avail themselves of the perfect solution to their problem, milk that contains no lactose. Why is everybody being so absurdly intransigent with regard to rejecting something that is exactly what they want and need?

Originally Posted by LAJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.