Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

OT, getting photos uncontaminated by acrobat reader

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

OT, getting photos uncontaminated by acrobat reader

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
Link please!!!
Here.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 08-19-20, 06:28 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
That was epic (and great to be getting this thread on topic).
Old 08-19-20, 06:57 PM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
... here I had neglected to utilize the functions on the little screen on my scanner, so as recommended (thanks!) I tried pressing the buttons before scanning to see what options might be hiding there.
Sure enough, the first choice to be made was the file type, which I think I changed to the jpeg option. This immediately restored the useful format window with the image that I could then toss around like any other photo, cropped it and saved it.
Glad you found it.

Printer defaults can be changed. Which you did.
MS Windows defaults can be changed, for which apps to launch.
And filename extensions can vary (ie, .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, and so on); each can launch a different app (via the MS Windows defaults).

Might still want to head into the settings area for default apps:

Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type.

Scroll through the list for each of the image filename extension you deal with, and verify that for each of those extensions the app you want is the one associated as the default. You can select different ones for different filenames, if you prefer. Or, all the same, if it's simpler and your app supports all those different image file types.
Old 08-19-20, 11:38 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Thanks, Clyde1820, that is a long and interesting list that came up showing the current defaults that Windows uses. Good to know where to find it!

I really do need to snoop out my pc once in a while to be able to do things on shorter notice. I used to do that many years ago but became complacent as succeeding pc's seemed to handle more things without any hand-holding.
This printer and especially my very old Garmin GPS (biking and running) devices are about the only devices to give me any trouble any more. The recent Windows 10 update being an exception as it forced me to reset my WiFi for some reason after the update ran.

I'm about to get a new all-in-one big-screen PC after doing seven years with this HP laptop's awful keyboard and smallish screen. Then I will have to figure out how to rid the thing of all the for-profit bloatware that the PC maker has piled onto it. This laptop required a visit to a professional for the cleansing service, all because the vendors sell out for profit so as to offer a competitive sale price. Even the repair shop seemed to do about the same thing by adding a free-trial security suite that became an annoyance when I failed to pay up for any continuation of their redundant service.
Old 08-20-20, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Well, if you work in new or old media, Adobe is exactly the product you want (for a $100 per month.)
The OP asked about getting photos "uncontaminated" by Adobe. It may be great, even at $100/month, but I didn't understand the OP to be looking to spend money on an undesired product. I stand by my recommendation - if you don't want or need to deal with PDF's, avoid Adobe (and all other PDF editors).
Old 08-20-20, 05:40 AM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by justslow
The OP asked about getting photos "uncontaminated" by Adobe. It may be great, even at $100/month, but I didn't understand the OP to be looking to spend money on an undesired product. I stand by my recommendation - if you don't want or need to deal with PDF's, avoid Adobe (and all other PDF editors).
I get what you're saying but it's not an Adobe problem and there's no 'contamination'. Software always seems to get in the way of what you want to happen, and you just have to get used to hitting enough keystrokes and tweaking enough preference files to find the answer. We all do it.
Old 08-20-20, 05:45 AM
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
One additional for you that may be useful - I use GIMP for importing and working with / converting PDF's and other formats. It's the open source version of Photoshop, I use it on Linux and it's available for Win/Mac. It's powerful though sometimes not user-friendly, but easy enough for basic tasks - great for manipulating and enhancing images if you decide a photo is worth it. Some old files come out muddy, dark, or with harsh contrast ratios in straight format conversion, the color / brightness curve tools work well to make them look much better. It has other tools to do just about whatever you need depending on how involved you want to get. Most pics aren't worth any effort but it's great for the ones that are.
Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 08-20-20, 09:29 AM

I'm about to get a new all-in-one big-screen PC after doing seven years with this HP laptop's awful keyboard and smallish screen. Then I will have to figure out how to rid the thing of all the for-profit bloatware that the PC maker has piled onto it.
I'd suggest getting the actual disks or flash drive for the operating system. Then, first thing, before you install anything at all, is to reformat and reinstall the basic O/S from scratch. It's a bit of a pain, and it'll take awhile. Particularly hunting down all the little drivers and add-ons you actually do want. But it's about the only way I've ever found to eliminate 95% of the "bloat-ware" that the folks installed onto it before you got it.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I've got a ~10+ year old computer that I'm considering replacing. It's plenty fast, for me, being a nearly top-end unit back in the day, particularly with a few go-fast additions I've made. But, it's time. I'll build it myself, probably. That way, I'll get it just the way I want it. A bit more effort, but no "excess" I don't want to be there.

Good luck with the new purchase and install.
Old 08-20-20, 09:44 AM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I guess that in this day and age that I may try to get a solid-state "hard drive" with my new machine. At least it should speed up what the bloatware slows down(?).

Man that bloatware makes me mad, that it's universally installed even though I would pay them not to add it.
Old 08-21-20, 12:06 AM

I guess that in this day and age that I may try to get a solid-state "hard drive" with my new machine. At least it should speed up what the bloatware slows down(?).
I'm seriously considering something like this:
GigaByte AORUS X570 motherboard.
AMD Ryzen 5 CPU (allows for upgrade headroom, for a CPU at 2x this performance)
2x1TB GigaByte AORUS SSD, NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe 4.0 x4
RAID-10 array of discs for data storage
G.SKILL RipJaws DDR4 3200 64GB RAM (allows for upgrade headroom, for another ~40% speed boost)
and a few other items

The performance specs suggest it'll be about ~12-15x the performance of my current box, which itself isn't half bad. It'll certainly "laugh" at bloat-ware and other pokey software.
Old 08-21-20, 03:14 AM

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts

Man that bloatware makes me mad, that it's universally installed even though I would pay them not to add it.
A solid state HD will make accessing and searching your files much quicker, but the processor could become a bottleneck at a certain point.

Most of us do most of our work in a (free) web browser these days, and so software you used to purchase copies of and own is now largely subscription-based.

There used to be versions of Windows that allowed greater control over the bloatware you speak of, and of general presets and defaults.

The operating system on a modern Mac is wonderfully clean and intuitive, but quite different from Windows. Most who make the switch never go back.

As most have said, you'll want to find the advanced settings of the scanning software to control output format and default program launch, sorry it gave you trouble!

Rad picture.
Old 08-21-20, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
I'd suggest getting the actual disks or flash drive for the operating system. Then, first thing, before you install anything at all, is to reformat and reinstall the basic O/S from scratch. It's a bit of a pain, and it'll take awhile. Particularly hunting down all the little drivers and add-ons you actually do want. But it's about the only way I've ever found to eliminate 95% of the "bloat-ware" that the folks installed onto it before you got it.
...or get a Mac and never deal with any of this crap again.
Old 08-21-20, 01:12 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by davester
...or get a Mac and never deal with any of this crap again.
Actually giving that some thought, wondering if getting an imac and an iphone at the same time would make sense, if their platform as a whole is perhaps a lot more integrated and less cluttered in terms of how that affects device security(?).

Is it much of an issue finding needed apps when using an iphone these days?

And what am I giving away by leaving Microsoft and Android behind, besides the purchase cost money?

Is Apple a good phone for cycling?
Old 08-21-20, 02:19 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
FWIW I been using a Mac (mac-mini) as my main computer for the last 10 years or so, and it's a lot less hassle to do just about anything, IMO. I've generally kept a windows pc of some sort too, to run certain software and hardware, though my last windows laptop bricked itself recently. No comparison as to which works more smoothly.

I can't speak to integration with iPhones. Maybe. Might be nice if you use iTunes and the other apple services. I have no idea how iphones work for cycling apps. I don't really like any I've tried with android, but then I prefer to just ride. Certainly iphone is not required if you have a mac pc. I've used an Android smartphone since the beginning. Gmail and all the other google services are cross platform, so it doesn't really matter.
Old 08-21-20, 07:08 PM

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 984 Posts
My take is Apple vs. PC is more preference than one being better than the other. I've used both since before the Mac and Windows and continue to use both. It's Ford vs. Chevy. If you're OK with their approach, Apple's ecosystem works. Until this season I used iPhones running Ride with GPS. in a QuadLock case keeping it secure on the bars. Now I have a Garmin, but I still track my rides on the phone as a backup. I use Macbooks for work, an couple of old HP machines running Windows10 that are reliable as heck, and we bought a big screen, high-end iMac for my wife to do her photography work on, it's a great machine. Have fun.

Old 08-22-20, 09:44 AM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

This is the kind of first-hand experience I was hoping to tap from folks who've used both platforms (and still do).
It opens the door for possibly getting an iPhone since my current (and little-used) phone (LGL41C) isn't being supported by my provider going forward.

The price of Apple devices shocked me, I thought $1400 for an Imac was high and then noticed that was for a USED one! I dread the thought of destroying an iPhone so might have to insure it!

I've also been impressed by my Windows PC's reliability over the years, good enough to make me forget to back stuff up often to an external device.

I'd be happy to just have a bloat-free new all-in-one to replace this laptop.
Old 08-22-20, 11:30 AM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
Since you're familiar with Windows, have a look at HP machines and as always, buy the best you can afford. If you don't travel, get a desktop or an all-in-one. Windows Pro is friendlier than Windows Home. Bloatware is unavoidable but you can delete programs somewhat easily but you will need to dive in and watch some support videos.
I have to use identical software on both Mac and Windows for freelance post production work and I don't see an upside to Apple anymore. Both OS's can be challenging.
Old 08-22-20, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Actually giving that some thought, wondering if getting an imac and an iphone at the same time would make sense, if their platform as a whole is perhaps a lot more integrated and less cluttered in terms of how that affects device security(?).

Is it much of an issue finding needed apps when using an iphone these days?

And what am I giving away by leaving Microsoft and Android behind, besides the purchase cost money?

Is Apple a good phone for cycling?
Apple plays nicely with Apple, so pairing an iPhone with a Macbook is a no brainer.

Apple also sells refurbished devices and computers with the same warranty as new, but up to ~40% off retail. You can get a powerful, fast machine for not much more than a high end PC.

Back up your files and docs to the cloud unless you're regularly working with terabytes of data and files. You're probably not.

Some apps you are using on your Android device might not have an iPhone version, but you can look that up before you switch. Most people use fewer than 10 apps each day.

The key here is deciding if you want to learn a new operating system.