Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clubman era replica compatible frames?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clubman era replica compatible frames?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 11:37 PM
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet

The only problem is those forks! I suppose I can straighten them with a hammer...
No, not for that bike, get it to someone who has a fork jig.
I live in Cambodia and have to improvise, even so it took a bit to get right.
IMG_20190318_164710894_BURST000_COVER_TOP by Bwilli88, on Flickr

IMG_20190318_163056392 by Bwilli88, on Flickr

IMG_20190318_163032401 by Bwilli88, on Flickr
Old 09-22-19, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Miele Latina, Worksman INB, Rapido Eska Folder, Raleigh Superbe, Raleigh Sprite, Soma Stanyan 650b, VeloSolex 3800, Raleigh Competition GS, CTC Supercycle, Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
From the "rains when it pours" department:

Had a frustrating week trying to conclude deals on CL for a clubman like project bike (CL is weird). Finally found a roadster on FB marketplace and refreshingly completed the sale this morning with little fan fair. Even if the clubman idea doesn't work out it has great patina. Oddly, it came with a Bendix 2speed coaster that someone retrofitted along the way. I'm ok with that as the mix match now gives me more license to be creative with it.

The serial number and a weathered City of Vancouver registration decal date it pretty close to 1948

Later today one of the CL sellers finally got back to me and we met up for a second buy. This one is a little more interesting...

No idea what it is yet but it has a 3 speed early derailer with a flip flop fixed gear on the other side.

The serial is confusing as it seems to be from convention 2 1951 but the rest of the bike seems older. The seller seemed to think it was 43 but ?

The only problem is those forks! I suppose I can straighten them with a hammer...

I'm good for project bikes now
Two old frames in one day - I'm envious. After I stripped the paint from my Supercycle project, I found out first hand about English labour unrest in the 1970's and shoddy quality control - bottom bracket pressing is split in 2 places and 30% of the fork boss for the lower bearing cup is missing. My issues can be fixed, but I'll be on the lookout for some 1950's or earlier frames after seeing the photos of the bikes you picked up. Hope to see more photos as your build progresses.
Old 09-22-19, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bomarc
Two old frames in one day - I'm envious. After I stripped the paint from my Supercycle project, I found out first hand about English labour unrest in the 1970's and shoddy quality control - bottom bracket pressing is split in 2 places and 30% of the fork boss for the lower bearing cup is missing. My issues can be fixed, but I'll be on the lookout for some 1950's or earlier frames after seeing the photos of the bikes you picked up. Hope to see more photos as your build progresses.
Ah, those little surprises
The only problem I see on the orange bike atm is a busted off pump peg, along with rotted tires. Even the derailer works well.

Both bikes will have their own build threads I'm sure. Gotta finish my Gitane first.
Old 09-22-19, 11:27 AM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts

I'm good for project bikes now
....I have an official VAR fork jig, and can access another one that is a Park version. I have straightened, aligned, and respaced a lot of forks for my own use, and for others. I would not attempt to straighten yours. On the positive side, that looks like a pretty standard Raleigh Sports fork, and they even used them on the Lenton's. So there are a tonne of them that ought to work bouncing around in the used parts and frames world, even today.

Just make sure to measure the steerer on your old one, so you can get one that is close in length. It's pretty hard to find anyone these days who still has the tooling to rethread a Raleigh fork that has been cut shorter.
Old 09-22-19, 12:06 PM

I'm just kidding about the hammer

I don't know about the fork. The bend is very gentle and continuous and I'm wondering if it was intentional as a way of taking up road vibration. I've heard of that before. The rims are original and show no signs of impact (dents, truing) so ?

It appears the derailer, stem and bars are all add on's from the original but not at that much later of a date as they all have similar patina.
Old 09-22-19, 12:52 PM

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I don't know about the fork. The bend is very gentle and continuous and I'm wondering if it was intentional as a way of taking up road vibration. I've heard of that before...
I've never heard that one before, but I've heard several times on this forum that these old bikes are made from such soft steel that re-strightening a fork like that is actually doable, with the main point of caution being whether or not the join between the steerer tube and the fork crown is compromised. I have no firsthand experience in this matter, though.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-22-19, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
I've never heard that one before, but I've heard several times on this forum that these old bikes are made from such soft steel that re-strightening a fork like that is actually doable, with the main point of caution being whether or not the join between the steerer tube and the fork crown is compromised. I have no firsthand experience in this matter, though.
Yep.. dunno. I'll know more when I break into the headset I guess. This morning I read a lot about diadrant forks, which is the bendy style designed right or wrong to take up vibration by Bates of England. Maybe they are bent, maybe a builder tried to make their own version?
Old 09-22-19, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
[QUOTE=Happy Feet;21132694]From the "rains when it pours" department:

[3/QUOTE]

It's a *very* early Pinarello, "proof of concept".
They shelved the fork design for several decades, because the clientele found them butt-ugly.
There was a brief patent skirmish with Hetchins, but after Pinarello halted production, the scuffle faded away.

j/k