Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why are bike shops so worthless?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why are bike shops so worthless?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-15, 11:16 PM
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not limited to bike shops...

I needed a transmission rebuild in my car. Called a shop and asked when they could LOOK at it. Dropped it off on the day that they said to. Almost two weeks later, I call to ask what's going on (haven't heard from them, not once). I was told "oh, we haven't looked at it." *sigh* I was in the Navy at that point... home for a month, gone for a month, wash-rinse-repeat; I picked up my car within twenty minutes of that phone call. Service...
Old 02-15-15, 11:20 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rideBjj
I was a mechanic back in the day. I did it all, including wheel building for the local mtn bike team. That said, most shop employees are generally worthless stoners. I'm just glad between the internet and my knowledge, I don't need local LBS for anything besides power gel, tubes and *maybe* something like bar tape.
It's amazing how many baked bike shop employees I'm running into going on test rides. It makes me wonder how well built their bikes are.
Old 02-16-15, 12:06 AM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't been in an LBS in 25 years, so it didn't bother me a bit to move to an area where there are none. NEVER had a good experience in a bike shop- and I'm not a fussy customer. The level of incompetence, and lack of conscientiousness I see in ALL service businesses these days, is really sickening. Half don't know what they're doing; the other half just don't give a rat's patoot.

I was amused when I started reading bike forums, at how I'd see people referring wonderful genteel altruistic shops which would "help you select the best bike for your needs" (as opposed to selling you whatever they had on-hand); and provide "professional service" and all that good stuff, with rainbows and puppy dogs...... Then I came to see that most of the people who talked glowingly of LBS, owned an LBS!
Old 02-16-15, 01:00 AM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Just go in and demand they do it that afternoon. They'll get the schoolkid who sweeps the floors to do it, but don't worry, it can't be that hard, my understanding from reading on the interweb is a drunken one armed chimpanzee with arthritis can lace up a wheel betterer than a machine can (and my machine built wheels are damn good).
Old 02-16-15, 01:53 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
OP, your ideas of the price of PTs and wheels built around them are totally absurd. You are a factor of 4 or more high for both. And LBS mechanics are not a reliable choice for building wheels. Some do it well. Some don't. Wheel building needs to be fully competent. Crappy wheels are worse than useless. Get good ones built by a respected wheelwright or don't bother at all.
Where did I mention price?

I already had the G3 PT hub, 32 hole, and the HED Belgium rim, 32 hole.

Where do I find the expert wheel builders of which you speak?

Edit: I got the PT for $599 new on Ebay. I would have hassled PT about sending me a new hub, but I was not the original owner of that hub, and in September 2014 they replaced all the internals, electronic and mechanical, on my SL+ and sent it back to me for free. I would have felt bad about haggling with them for another free power meter.

Last edited by reggieray; 02-16-15 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 02:22 AM

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by reggieray
I have been waiting six days and counting for a nearby shop to lace a new PowerTap hub I got into my rim, both of which I provided to the shop on Tuesday. Receipt says done by Friday.

This shop was my second choice for a wheel build after my old hub cracked, when the shop I normally go to told me I should get an SRM so that they can build me a new set of wheels with Dura Ace hubs or whatever. Yeah pal, thanks. I make $11.66 an hour and you want me to drop $2800 on a power meter and $1500 on new wheels.

Are there any shops at all in the Sacramento/Roseville area that are worth a damn? On the few things I use shops for, I either get ridiculously slow service or am subjected to relentless and laughable upselling, given my income.

Don't tell me anymore about Rule 58. **** Rule 58.
Have you ever tried EliteBicycles there on River Side Ave? I think it's Roseville. Might be Citrus Height. Right across the street from Kmart and California Burger. I like them because they have a good selection on parts for vintage bikes at a fair price. A family owned business too. First impression is wow! And then, What a dump! Actually it's just the tires that make it look so messy.
Also in Old Roseville is a new shop on Vernon. Have been there yet. Let me know how it goes!
Corben.
Old 02-16-15, 02:32 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corben
Have you ever tried EliteBicycles there on River Side Ave? I think it's Roseville. Might be Citrus Height. Right across the street from Kmart and California Burger. I like them because they have a good selection on parts for vintage bikes at a fair price. A family owned business too. First impression is wow! And then, What a dump! Actually it's just the tires that make it look so messy.
Also in Old Roseville is a new shop on Vernon. Have been there yet. Let me know how it goes!
Corben.
Roseville Cyclery is on Vernon. That will be my next stop, should I ever require the services of a bike shop again. Hopefully I will never require such a thing again.
Old 02-16-15, 02:40 AM

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Roseville Cyclery is on Vernon. That will be my next stop, should I ever require the services of a bike shop again. Hopefully I will never require such a thing again.
Elite is my favorite LBS for my repair and renovations.
BTW, how's the saddle sores working out for you? A brooks solved mine! Ha ha
Old 02-16-15, 04:54 AM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
because they never have what you want but always what you need.
Old 02-16-15, 05:52 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Where did I mention price?

I already had the G3 PT hub, 32 hole, and the HED Belgium rim, 32 hole.

Where do I find the expert wheel builders of which you speak?

Edit: I got the PT for $599 new on Ebay. I would have hassled PT about sending me a new hub, but I was not the original owner of that hub, and in September 2014 they replaced all the internals, electronic and mechanical, on my SL+ and sent it back to me for free. I would have felt bad about haggling with them for another free power meter.
Sorry, I missed the part about SRM and Dura Ace. I thought you were talking about the cost of a PT and putting it into a basic wheel. My bad. As for wheel builders, if I were you, I would ask here for recommendations as you did. But not for bike shop wheel builders. For the real thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that some LBS wheel builders are not excellent, but rather that being an LBS mechanic is not a guarantee of that. Wheel building is something you want done right. I also agree that someone with limited budget would benefit from learning to build their own wheels. A $150 investment in tools and truing stand (I know, I know, you don't HAVE to have one...) will last you a lifetime.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-16-15, 05:54 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I guess our methods of doing business is why we have put five other bike shops out of business.

Never ever drop off a repair without a due date. In other words, if they can't tell you when it will be done, move along.

It's fun doing business the right way and selling about 10 million in bikes, parts and repairs. Sorry for you guys that like in sucky places with lousy shops.

Some folks with shops are simply enthusiasts who think they know how to run a business. They like bikes, let's open a bike shop.

Find a professional operation in your area. Learn to know the difference between a hobby business and one that is there for the long term because they provide service.

Do not paint every shop with the same brush. We have two guys who have worked for international teams that chuckle when they get the home spun stuff in the store.
Old 02-16-15, 06:14 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Then go with Rule 94.

At $11.66 an hour, you should probably do your own maintenance.
Do your own maintenance anyway.
Old 02-16-15, 07:05 AM

Bikes: C'Dale Synapse, Surly Disc Trucker, Giant Trance, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
I guess our methods of doing business is why we have put five other bike shops out of business.

Never ever drop off a repair without a due date. In other words, if they can't tell you when it will be done, move along.

It's fun doing business the right way and selling about 10 million in bikes, parts and repairs. Sorry for you guys that like in sucky places with lousy shops.

Some folks with shops are simply enthusiasts who think they know how to run a business. They like bikes, let's open a bike shop.

Find a professional operation in your area. Learn to know the difference between a hobby business and one that is there for the long term because they provide service.

Do not paint every shop with the same brush. We have two guys who have worked for international teams that chuckle when they get the home spun stuff in the store.
I have noticed that those places tend to have crappy, judgemental attitudes. If you don't look like one of their riding buddies, you don't get good service.

Some bike shops have great service, and some have horrible service. There can also be great customers and horrible customers. If you find a shop that you can work well with, make the effort to cultivate a relationship with your favorite mechanic. I love mine, I can ride in 15 minutes before closing on a Saturday and get my bike fixed while I wait, with an explanation of how everything was done. However, if someone makes him mad, I have seen him drag out a simple repair for days.
Old 02-16-15, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trust me OP I feel your pain. I've had my share of experiences with horrible and/or overpriced bike shops, which forced me to go out and buy my own tools and stand and learn how to do basic maintenance/repairs. I'm pretty sure I'll be saving a ton of money in the long run, though I have found a pretty decent shop in my neighborhood who I'll likely pay a visit to have my steerer tube cut.

Last edited by yankeefan; 02-16-15 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by headloss
Not limited to bike shops...
That's for certain. I had a boat with a leak where the stern drive goes through the transom. The service manger said they would have plenty of time to check it out and fix it over the winter. I asked in the Spring and they hadn't done anything. He said "did I know how cold it was over the winter?"
Old 02-16-15, 08:39 AM

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
My son needed 2 spokes for his Bontrager RXL front wheel so I brought to to the closest shop. I was told they couldn't order jsut 2 since they were specific to the wheel and would have to buy 10. 8 weeks later still no news so I just took the wheel back and brought it to another store 12 miles away. 5 days later it was done and only $20 for parts and labor.

BTW, I bought my new Emonda SLR from them.
In fairness, certain wheels have obscure spokes, a shop can't be expected to stock every possible type in every possible size. I have a 50MM carbon wheelset that's built up with black CX-Rays. Needless to say, few shops actually stock these spokes. When a spoke broke last year, I had the shop order me ten extras...

Having said that, with Bontrager wheels you likely went to a Trek dealer. If so, not having Bontrager spokes is somewhat less understandable: the shop should have spokes for first party wheels.
Old 02-16-15, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
I haven't been in an LBS in 25 years, so it didn't bother me a bit to move to an area where there are none. NEVER had a good experience in a bike shop- and I'm not a fussy customer. The level of incompetence, and lack of conscientiousness I see in ALL service businesses these days, is really sickening. Half don't know what they're doing; the other half just don't give a rat's patoot.

I was amused when I started reading bike forums, at how I'd see people referring wonderful genteel altruistic shops which would "help you select the best bike for your needs" (as opposed to selling you whatever they had on-hand); and provide "professional service" and all that good stuff, with rainbows and puppy dogs...... Then I came to see that most of the people who talked glowingly of LBS, owned an LBS!
That's too bad you have such a tainted and negative attitude towards LBS. I've had exceptionally good experiences and am glad to have several to chose from. I can go into the largest and get and get anything fixed while I wait including them stocking just about anything needed. My favorite, which is small but one of the most competent and best fitters in the country, offered to meet me early before regular opening time.
Old 02-16-15, 09:06 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Apex Mid Compact, 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2007 Giant Boulder se

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are 3 bike shops in my general area, 1 is very good. They have been in business since the 60's and I have a very good relationship with the owner and employees. The second bike shop (the one farthest from me) often has a ton in stock and isn't the cheapest or the best service (they are always in a rush). The 3rd (closest) bike shop to me has NO CLUE what they are doing. I went in wanting to buy 1 1/8 headset spacers and had to differentiate the two for him. They also never managed to correctly adjust the bike I brought to them once, or my friend's bikes which I told them not to get it serviced there. It shows that there is a huge difference of quality and pride put into these businesses. My favorite shop also NEVER has long wait periods. My bike is usually on the stand within 45 minutes of dropping it off there.
Old 02-16-15, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam_cyclist
It's amazing how many baked bike shop employees I'm running into going on test rides. It makes me wonder how well built their bikes are.
Don't get me wrong, I was just as big a dope fiend as anyone else, past or present. I could also be the same kind of too-cool-for-the-posers dickhead employee everyone is talking about, at times.

I was a very good mechanic, but preferred to stay in the back with the gear, and avoid customer interactions. I did in fact eventually get canned for having a poor attitude. It was justified. I was a 23 year old jackass. But, that's the kind of people who work in shops, I guess is my point.
Old 02-16-15, 09:50 AM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
Trust me OP I feel your pain. I've had my share of experiences with horrible and/or overpriced bike shops, which forced me to go out and buy my own tools and stand and learn how to do basic maintenance/repairs. I'm pretty sure I'll be saving a ton of money in the long run, though I have found a pretty decent shop in my neighborhood who I'll likely pay a visit to have my steerer tube cut.
Aw, C'mon- you've come this far; just get a miter box and a hacksaw, and be done with it!
Old 02-16-15, 10:03 AM

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Aw, C'mon- you've come this far; just get a miter box and a hacksaw, and be done with it!
I thought about cutting it myself, but the cost of the additional tools doesn't seem like a good value on return. I'm only going to be cutting a steerer tube once every couple of years, and the bike shop charges $20 vs ~$60 I'd have to spend in tools, not counting my labor time and the time I'll have to spend watching youtube videos to learn how to do it.
Old 02-16-15, 10:36 AM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28643 Post(s)
Liked 1,859 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Wheel building can be an enjoyable winter pastime.
Oh?
Old 02-16-15, 10:43 AM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13720 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Oh?
More enjoyable than riding on roads covered in ice and snow.
Old 02-16-15, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I may be moving up to that general area in the not too distant future, and I'm still sort of doing my own recon on the local shops. Which place is this, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 02-16-15, 11:05 AM
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seriously appreciate and respect my LBS guys.
Look at it this way. Lance would have rather lied, cheated and stole and will probably go to jail rather than have to work in one the rest of his life...
V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.