Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you commute at a relaxed pace or go for speed?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you commute at a relaxed pace or go for speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 07:55 AM

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
What do you sell?
Oops. I do own quite a few pedals. So, I could peddle those while I'm not pedaling!
Old 02-05-15, 11:55 AM
^^^ Drafts unicyclists

Bikes: Black Commutocrosser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relaxed pace more often than not. Any need for speed is met in the morning on the way into work with the slight overall downhill. Hardly anyone on two wheels out at 4:00 am so I am left to pace against myself. Once at work I hit the gym for a workout before showering and beginning shift. After my shift, 30 minutes on a treadmill removes any residual 'me-first-itis' from the system before I head home. With decent weather there is a 50-50 chance I'll opt for a round of the lake on my way home, doubling the mileage albeit at a fairly leisurely pace. My average speed is 12-15 mph overall.
Old 02-05-15, 12:40 PM

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's one thing I miss about my old 5am shifts. I could bike to work and see maybe one or two cars.
Old 02-05-15, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Last year I posted to this similar Commuting thread ’Easy pace or 'pushing it'?”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm fortunate to be a daily year-round cycling commuter early in the morning, with a pleasant, minimal one-way distance of 14 miles, easily lengthened during the nice weather. My commute is really my only chance to train. I had long rejected the idea of intervals because getting on the Road early is a challenge itself, and I didn't want to lose my enthusiasm by punishing myself too much.

Intervals on the road during a defined commute are more variable than what one can do on a trainer. I have quickly learned that I must watch out for traffic and not pay too much attention to the stopwatch on my cycle computer. Sometimes the stopwatch times out during an interval and I have to reset. Often the terrain is out of synch with the interval, e.g. downhills on the intensity interval, uphill on the rest interval, with stoplights interspersed.

So here’s an alternative I find easier to accomplish: I just use “Rating of Perceived Exertion” (RPE) as my monitor. [My variation is to use a scale of 0 to 100...easier to think about than 6 to 19.]

RATING OF PERCEIVED EXERTION SCALE
Code:
           RPE scale*                              Jim's scale
•	6 - resting                                   10-20 
•	7 - very, very light                            20-30
•	9 - very light                                  30-40  
•	11 - fairly light             50 (usual pace; my 60% Max HR)
•	13 - somewhat hard                              60   
•	15 - hard                                       70
•	17 - very hard (Lactate threshold;     80 (my Max HR)
      breakpoint between hard but steady 
      breathing and labored with gasping)       
•	19 - very, very hard                            90-100
* On RPE scale, 10 times the number is equivalent to heart rate. For cardiovascular effectiveness, one should exercise to ~ 60% of maximal heart rate: Max HR = 226 – age (for women), 220- age (men).

I consider my usual happy-go-lucky pace is at an RPE of 50 (out of 100), and usually try to ride most of the commute at a steady 60. For intervals I would ride about 6-8 miles at my usual pace (exertion) to totally warm up, then I estimate my RPE during the intense one-minute intervals to be about about 70-80. I then revert to my usual RPE of 50 for the remaining 2-3 miles

But IMO just riding at a slightly greater RPE I think is more beneficial than just cruising, and more tolerable than "pushing."
See next post for more readable version, and this subsequent post:

Originally Posted by caloso
Riding to RPE is great. My only criticism would be that MaxHR = 220bpm - age has been pretty well discredited.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-06-15 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 02-05-15, 02:40 PM

Better version (see preceding post for explanation):

RATING OF PERCEIVED EXERTION SCALE
Code:
           RPE scale*                              Jim's scale
•	6 - resting                                   10-20 
•	7 - very, very light                            20-30
•	9 - very light                                  30-40  
•	11 - fairly light             50 (usual pace; my 60% Max HR)
•	13 - somewhat hard                              60   
•	15 - hard                                       70
•	17 - very hard (Lactate threshold;     80 (my Max HR)
      breakpoint between hard but steady 
      breathing and labored with gasping)       
•	19 - very, very hard                            90-100

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-05-15 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Huffy Rockcreek (dual suspension)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride through an area called "Pine Hills" - probably named for the fact that it's rather hilly.
Old 02-05-15, 04:13 PM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If my pace was anymore relaxed I'd be getting to work before I left.
Old 02-05-15, 04:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Riding to RPE is great. My only criticism would be that MaxHR = 220bpm - age has been pretty well discredited.
Old 02-05-15, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostSS
80% of the time I'm going at a pretty fast-ish pace, maintaining 20-22 mph. Days like today (Mondays), I go slower between 14-16 mph. My work does have a shower fortunately.

Often times when there's no bike lane I'll hit sprints to maintain pace with city traffic around 25-30 mph between lights so the angry drivers here don't freak out that a bike is holding them up.
Man, you are fast. My fastest time on my 8 mile route was 29 minutes. And that was with me running red lights when safe. But I actually got pulled over by cops a couple of times. And even though I watch many fellow cyclists go through red lights when safe right now, I stop at them. Now my commute time is close to 40 minutes. I think my average speed is like 12 mph. Did you do anything special to get to 25 mph? If only I could get to 20 mph
Old 02-06-15, 03:18 AM

Thanks for the reply, and I have added this post as an addendum to mine. Personally I rarely check my heart rate, just by manual counting.
Old 02-06-15, 10:40 AM

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
ironically, the calculator linked to in the nyt article gave a number that was the same as 220-age.
Old 02-06-15, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mostly ride at a relaxed pace. I'm in no great shape, I sweat a lot and I don't have a shower at work, so I take my time usually (around 10mph). Also, my commute involves a four-way traffic signal at almost every intersection so I'm not going to be able to get to any great speed and maintain it for long (though I know some bike riders in San Francisco do). But there are days I push harder when it feels good.
Old 02-06-15, 01:39 PM

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
Man, you are fast. My fastest time on my 8 mile route was 29 minutes. And that was with me running red lights when safe. But I actually got pulled over by cops a couple of times. And even though I watch many fellow cyclists go through red lights when safe right now, I stop at them. Now my commute time is close to 40 minutes. I think my average speed is like 12 mph. Did you do anything special to get to 25 mph? If only I could get to 20 mph
Well, my commute is fairly short, only about 4 miles, so maintaining my cruising speed isn't as impressive as you think. If I had farther to go I wouldn't ride as fast. Getting to 25 or faster comfortably quite frankly is a matter of how your bike is set up and your personality (I do standing sprints after every stop for some reason). Low rolling resistance tires, correct saddle height, use of drops and aero positioning, and gearing. I used to commute on several different bikes and some were much easier to be fast on than others. My Raleigh mountain bike and sun cruiser were pretty slow, the Giant Allegre roadie and Retrospec SS were pretty fast, and my current Fuji touring bike is somewhere in the middle.
Old 02-07-15, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
That's one thing I miss about my old 5am shifts. I could bike to work and see maybe one or two cars.
That's why I love my 10pm commute home. 8 of my 10 miles is on a mup or semi-rural roads, the rest downtown.

I'm not in any hurry to get to work, but I want to arrive smiling so I generally ride briskly(for me, that's 16-17mph). But often loiter as well(12-13).
Old 02-07-15, 08:41 PM
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
It varies because of traffic and stop signs and stop lights and crossing intersections, but for the most part it's a casual speed of about 15mph.
Old 02-08-15, 07:24 AM

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
Yup, I'm not even 30 yet and my commute is only 3.5 miles. So I treat the entire thing as a sprint. The traffic light I have to go through half way acts as my rest. Plus I'm not very active at my job, mostly just standing around, so like the poster below I love trying to destroy my legs as best I can before I get into work.

I'm the same way. If I see ANYONE not in a car, I'm passing them. It's just something I do to push myself. Doesn't matter if I'm just commuting to work or half way through a weekend century, I have to pass haha. Never been passed back, and I think the day I am I'll be making a new riding buddy
I'm (was) similar. I was doing 5.5km to work for three years, and I was usually pushing myself, because... well, going fast is fun, unless you're getting those head winds where you have to pedal down hills just to maintain speed. I also had to pass everything that isn't a car. I was passed once for about 10 seconds before I realized I was being passed, however, didn't see many road bikes on that commute, and those I occasionally passed on the weekends were probably doing much longer rides.

From April, I'll be doing a 13.3km ride, and I'm pretty sure I'll ride as fast as I can maintain (as always). In fact, I bought a whole new bike for it, and got a racier frame just because I know that I want to go FAST.
Old 02-08-15, 11:38 AM
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
When I first started bike commuting and didn't do it every day, I rode hard every time. Once I started riding every day my effort level dropped quickly! Sometimes someone on a road bike will blow past me and I'll try to stay at their pace for a while (20 or so yards back), and sometimes I feel good or bored and speed up for a few minutes. My most hated rides are when I'm running late and I'm forced to do the whole thing like a time trial.
Old 02-09-15, 07:29 AM
tbo

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not to bring research into this, but...

When my wife started commuting on her bike, I looked to the Dutch to see what their "magic numbers" for commuting distance and speed were. The numbers were, by American standards, surprisingly low. Their inflection points were at 7.5 km (4.6 miles) one way to destination and 20 kph (12.5 mph) or less average speed. Their segregated bikeways in cities are designed for 20 kph speed limit.

In order for a standard American rider to maintain 20 kph, that US rider has to really be carrying the mail to make up for traffic controls. The Dutch really work at limiting stops and maintaining momentum so that riding slower works just fine.

BTW, wife commutes 4.25 miles one way, flat terrain (Florida). Except for the traffic controls and lack of separation of bikes and cars, it's pretty much a Dutch commute. She rides an old English 3-speed in street clothes.
Old 02-09-15, 08:55 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tbo
BTW, wife commutes 4.25 miles one way, flat terrain (Florida). Except for the traffic controls and lack of separation of bikes and cars, it's pretty much a Dutch commute. She rides an old English 3-speed in street clothes.
So about 3x the distance of the average dutch bike trip, no cycle paths, no bike-signals, and no separation at all. By this criteria my commute on a 19 lb plastic crotch rocket in completely abnormal clothes with elastene (no koch lycra) is also pretty much a Dutch commute.
Old 02-09-15, 09:16 AM
tbo

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
So about 3x the distance of the average dutch bike trip, no cycle paths, no bike-signals, and no separation at all. By this criteria my commute on a 19 lb plastic crotch rocket in completely abnormal clothes with elastene (no koch lycra) is also pretty much a Dutch commute.
Why the snark? She is right on target for the travelling speed (maybe not so much average speed), distance, terrain, bike type (within reason), and clothing style. Yeah, the separation is an issue, but her course to work is pretty good on that for traffic patterns. She only has two traffic lights, and both are somewhat bike-friendly. They have cameras for detection, rather that in-road wire loops.
Old 02-09-15, 09:46 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tbo
Why the snark?
A view from the cycle path: Speed
Old 02-09-15, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tbo
Not to bring research into this, but...

When my wife started commuting on her bike, I looked to the Dutch to see what their "magic numbers" for commuting distance and speed were. The numbers were, by American standards, surprisingly low. Their inflection points were at 7.5 km (4.6 miles) one way to destination and 20 kph (12.5 mph) or less average speed. Their segregated bikeways in cities are designed for 20 kph speed limit.

In order for a standard American rider to maintain 20 kph, that US rider has to really be carrying the mail to make up for traffic controls. The Dutch really work at limiting stops and maintaining momentum so that riding slower works just fine.

American riders are probably all over the map in terms of how many traffic controls per mile they have to deal with, - and how many they actually observe.
Old 02-09-15, 11:31 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,376 Posts
By the by, you can show everyone your pace and not be doubted if you join the Bike Forums Commuters group on Strava.

I'm tied for 5,328th place on the "steep hill to Hazel bridge" segment.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-09-15, 12:23 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
American riders are probably all over the map in terms of how many traffic controls per mile they have to deal with, - and how many they actually observe.
I have 12 traffic lights and 2 rail crossings on my 7 mile commute. I observe them all except for 2 rights that I treat as yields in the am. I could run a couple if I was so incline, but most are multi lane, congested arterials and it would be way to risky.
Old 02-09-15, 12:30 PM

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Speed. If it weren't for the shower at work I don't know that I'd even ride to work at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.