Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

bullhorn vs drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha. I didn't even look at the post dates although I didn't do the resurrecting, so it's a passable offense.
Old 01-23-09, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up on bullhorns and went to drops with both hoods, though I only run a front brake. I get all available positions plus the ability to brake from the hoods and drops.

I know, I know, drops with hoods just don't look as cool, but I also run mudguards, so I figured why not?
Old 01-23-09, 02:43 PM
Effortless Power ...

Bikes: Fixed Gear conversion bike(s), Jamis Quest road; Specialized M2; Puch conversion CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you have to give props to one resurrecting the post for using the search function!!!

Personally, I like bullhorns - look & versatility.
Old 01-24-09, 09:31 AM
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't you have a set of both? They aren't so expensible and you will eventually get to the point where you can swap depending on your moods.

... I usually feel like drops lately. Mine's a 370mm track drop, what's yours, Jaco?

T
Old 01-24-09, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never used the drops of my drops so i went with bullhorns. They can look sexier too.
Old 01-24-09, 01:09 PM
So tragically hip.

Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
you'll need a TT lever or a cross lever.
Any chance I could just take the brake lever off of my old broken Huffy mtb? Or is that essentially a death wish?
Old 01-25-09, 12:50 AM
может да

Bikes: a lugged steel ss pos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aren't those probably dried out plastic? Wouldn't trust 'em; hit up performance bike and get forte cross levers. $15/pair. Metal.
Old 01-25-09, 01:24 AM
So tragically hip.

Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedycat
Aren't those probably dried out plastic? Wouldn't trust 'em; hit up performance bike and get forte cross levers. $15/pair. Metal.
Yeah, I'm thinking that the plastic might create more of a hazard than forgoing brakes altogether. Anybody wanna go halfsies? Running two brakes would make hipsters glare menacingly at me haha
Old 01-25-09, 01:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just found some mavic bullhorns online!
Old 01-25-09, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 446 Posts
Drop bars => Bullhorns => risers

Remove one hand position at a time, each inferior to the prior.

I use drop bars on my road bike, but put bullhorns on my fixed gear only because I liked the look. I'll never use risers. They're ********.

When I go touring this summer I'll be using drop bars with clip on aero bars.
Old 01-25-09, 03:34 AM

Bikes: 2004 Cinelli Supercorsa, 2005 Tommasini track, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1991 Fuso Cyclocross, 1991 Masi Team 3V, 1989 Serotta, De Rosa Neo Primato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For SF city riding, bullhorns are where it's at. Lots of hand positions for comfort, and you get a nice upright comfy position with your hands at the base, or you can stretch out on the horns. I constantly get out of the saddle to climb and the horns are great for that. Risers only give you the one hand position. I had track drops for awhile but rarely used them - I was on the tops most of the time (no brake hoods either). On my road bike, however, I have drop bars; combined with the brake hoods they are great.

cliffs notes: bullhorns or road drops with brake hoods ftw
Old 01-25-09, 06:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, although drops look great, track drops at least,but they're only functional if I want to be in an aerodynamic position. The only time that being aerodynamic is really useful is when hauling balls downhill...which I only do for very short stints of time on my fixed gear, but when I'm on my geared bike, which I can't remember when that was, I'll do it for as long as possible.

Thus, the bars are all purely functional, and especially specific to each rider. Just waste money and try them all out and satisfy your curiosity the real way... um, you being whoever this thread has been directed towards, since it's been raised from the dead...

Last edited by philos; 01-25-09 at 06:31 AM. Reason: photo error
Old 01-25-09, 07:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would, but there is only one left...trust no one is where I stand until I get them. I post pics when I get my grubby hands on them
Old 06-28-17, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May I zombify this thread?

As a city rider, I haul power between stops to plump up the kickers.

Riding in the lowest point of the drops provides the most efficient driving power, however I'm left vulnerable during the split second hand shift when pulling my wrists upwards to reach the brakes. It feels cumbersome.

Would bullhorns, or pursuit bars as they offer a similar drop, be what I'm searching for, since a straightened wrist-hand position seems to combine well with brake levers at finger level?

I prefer not to sacrifice the depth of a low aero position nor maneuveribilty, & I'm a bit perplexed as I've yet to come across any examples of track racers using pursuits, those whom I'd imagine share a similar cycling style of high power bobbing & weaving.

Still, I remain partial towards bullhorn/pursuit for their apparent comfort, & forearm resting space akin to aero bars in between sprints.

Help please!
Old 06-29-17, 03:45 AM
pcf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Or you could try these: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...handlebar.html
Old 06-30-17, 12:59 PM

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pcf
You are getting that thing all over the site

I used a pursuit style bullhorn for awhile and it was pretty comfy. I prefer drop bars now for a wider range of hand positions.

What I used to use was not exactly like these, but close.

Last edited by UltraManDan; 06-30-17 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcf
Or you could try these:
Thought I was being trolled

Honestly it's a clean setup, but yours is a cruiser vs. the deep drop I'm looking to accomplish for speed.

Originally Posted by UltraManDan

I used a pursuit style bullhorn for awhile and it was pretty comfy. I prefer drop bars now for a wider range of hand positions.

What I used to use was not exactly like these, but close.
I like the length of their drop! Link?

What was it about the extra drop position that brought you back? I'm interested to hear why I might return to them in the future. While pressing full speed, would the power keeping your arms locked not be better utilized in the legs?
Old 07-13-17, 07:57 AM

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MtheInsomniac

I like the length of their drop! Link?

What was it about the extra drop position that brought you back? I'm interested to hear why I might return to them in the future. While pressing full speed, would the power keeping your arms locked not be better utilized in the legs?
I use my bike to commute, so the bullhorns just got redundant with the same two hand positions used all the time.

Here is the link. It is a 40mm drop

https://www.projektsports.com/produc...-25-4mm-x-40cm

I still have them. PM me if you wanna work out a trade
Old 07-13-17, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
BH can hook things ... causing a dangerous situation...like someone else's handlebar...or like a tree branch...handlebar should never have the ends facing forward...also might be sketchy downhill hard braking...you need something to brace yourself (like a drop bar)...hand might slip off the BH...even though I use the drop only 0.0001% of time...I prefer the safety factor of the drop bars.
I have ridden bullhorns for about 4 years now and I have never hooked anything before. Not a person, a giraffe, a tree, a police car, nothing. Drops without hoods are very uncomfortable, at least to me they are.
Old 07-13-17, 12:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
I use my bike to commute, so the bullhorns just got redundant with the same two hand positions used all the time.

I still have them. PM me if you wanna work out a trade
I appreciate it! Although I prefer the aggressive drop & form of the original picture posted.

I'm seriously considering customizing State Bicycle pistas. They would fall pretty deep when attached to the stem in reverse, & angled downward/forward.

Pistas feature a gradual curve that would accommodate the lines of the forearm>wrist in this position, while somewhat maintaining the depth & hand position of drops. Then, sawing off the ends where need be for brake fitting.

I can't imagine any slippage nor giraffe wrangling when bracing for braking in this setup.

Thinking like an artist here, but I'm sure I could make this work
Old 07-23-17, 02:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to find/resurrect my account just to post this! Have been searching/googling high and low for months trying to find the perfect pursuit/drop bull horn for a current build. Want something pretty narrow on top with a decent drop and short reach - have been looking at the 8Bar Mega Bullhorn Lenker but the site is in German and I'm unsure of availability. The bars you posted look ideal, but after following the Project Sports link you posted, it doesn't look like they match to the pictures on that site(shallower drop, wider top). I may however be wrong and the original pic was just taken at a different angle, but would be grateful if you could provide clarification!

I've also been eyeing up the Nitto Rb-021AA, but find myself being put off by the (look of the) length of the reach. No bike shops in my city have ever had anything even remotely similar in to try, so as a result I have ordered a cheap set from BLB (BLB OS Pursuit) to see how they feel before investing in the Nittos. Also contemplating chopping the upturned ends off, but will be testing thoughroughly before that step - FWIW have been riding on a tiny, narrow set of chop n' flops for the last year after moving from conventional bullhorns.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Apologies for lack of link, not allowed to post URL's yet!
Old 07-23-17, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has proved tricky without being able to post URLS yet - Was in reply to UltraManDan and these bars: Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 21.25.26.jpg

Apologies, havent forum'd in a decade!

Last edited by nosirraH; 07-23-17 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Wrong formatting
Old 07-24-17, 01:35 PM
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I have ridden bullhorns for about 4 years now and I have never hooked anything before. Not a person, a giraffe, a tree, a police car, nothing. Drops without hoods are very uncomfortable, at least to me they are.
I went to Bullhorns on the Kilo a while back. I was always on the hoods on the Tourist and the Kilo had no hoods at all. I either ride on the flats on forward on the horns. So far, so good.
Old 07-25-17, 05:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nosirraH
Had to find/resurrect my account just to post this! Have been searching/googling high and low for months trying to find the perfect pursuit/drop bull horn for a current build. Want something pretty narrow on top with a decent drop and short reach - have been looking at the 8Bar Mega Bullhorn Lenker but the site is in German and I'm unsure of availability. The bars you posted look ideal, but after following the Project Sports link you posted, it doesn't look like they match to the pictures on that site(shallower drop, wider top). I may however be wrong and the original pic was just taken at a different angle, but would be grateful if you could provide clarification!

I've also been eyeing up the Nitto Rb-021AA, but find myself being put off by the (look of the) length of the reach. No bike shops in my city have ever had anything even remotely similar in to try, so as a result I have ordered a cheap set from BLB (BLB OS Pursuit) to see how they feel before investing in the Nittos. Also contemplating chopping the upturned ends off, but will be testing thoughroughly before that step - FWIW have been riding on a tiny, narrow set of chop n' flops for the last year after moving from conventional bullhorns.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Apologies for lack of link, not allowed to post URL's yet!
City Grounds XSpeed Hustle Pursuit Handlebar is what you're looking for

The cheapest & IMO the best looking. I'm interested in seeing this narrow chop n' flop, I've been chasing geese trying to find narrow.
Old 07-25-17, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ohhhhhh my god thank you so much!
Hilariously enough, I got the new bike yesterday and fit the BLB Pursuits....and, well.. hmm. I think I'd like to try them with a shorter stem, as the reach was crazy when at the bar ends..quite nice for quick accelerations from a standing start, but wild feeling when on the road at full stretch. Was also riding without any tape, so that is next to add. HOWEVER today I swapped them out for the stock bars (Cinelli VAI drops) and immediately the bike felt perfect..never liked drops before but these are proving to be wonderful for me so far. Will probably pick up a pair of the City Grounds pursuits soon just to try, but I may be a reluctant convert to the drop...

I took some pictures of the chopped bars - they measure 38cm from edge to edge at the top of the bar ends, and the flat section measures roughly 22cm across. They feel a lot smaller than they look, I was surprised to see 38cm on the tape measure! I found them in an old parts bin at a local bicycle place, I believe they are from a kid's drop bar, but I'm not sure. Made by Dawes....

IMG_9431.jpg
IMG_9433.jpg
IMG_9434.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.