Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there a 1.37 x 24 tpi threading die?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is there a 1.37 x 24 tpi threading die?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 11:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FYI, (for newbies) , in mechanic's speak; a tap 1 and die 2 set.
1 cuts threads inside holes, 2 cuts threads on the outside of round things.

Old 10-19-18, 11:50 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
This thread is 15 months old dudes...
if only you knew
Old 10-19-18, 12:16 PM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
The person you're asking hasn't logged on to this site since 9/11/2012...
The info is probably still useful to post here.

Originally Posted by feddiej2
hey mikewille,
I just found a die at Victor Machinery online for $53 that cuts a 1.375 x 24 tpi thread (60 deg) but the bloke I talked could not tell me what standard or height of the thread or anything. I guess if it is a 60 deg thread it would be forced to cut the standard cycle thread BSC. The only thing that could possibly be different would be the radii which is supposed to be .007", right? The thread height for the BSC thread is .0222. The picture shows very sharp tool peaks. One could always grind or file slightly if they were too sharp. I can measure it but not try to thread it into anything or chase something if I need to return it.
Do you think I could go wrong buying it? Another one costs double from MSC supply.
Feddiej2
Beyond the diameter and thread pitch, there are several thread differences that are addressed in different ways by different standards. Most threads today are 60° thread angle, although some older Raleighs use Whitworth threads, which are 55°. Other differences in the threads are whether the grooves are cut sharp (obsolete), or with flat (unified threads) or rounded (Whitworth, and most modern high-strength threads in service seeing fatigue) grooves. The standard used for bottom brackets is usually British Standard I.S.O. (1.370 or 1.375 x 24 tpi). 60° angle.

That said, using a threading die on a bike hub is (as mentioned above) difficult as you run into the shoulder. One way to address this is to have three (or more) dies. The first one has a taper so that the first part of the die barely cuts anything. So you use this to start the thread. The part of the hub near the shoulder is barely threaded, You then use die number 2 die which cuts slightly deeper threads near the shoulder. Finish off with die number 3, which cuts nearly full thread depth up to the shoulder. In reality one uses a lathe (CNC or otherwise) or a geometric die head on a lathe.

Cutting new threads with a die can be difficult, as one can start the die off at an angle. Then you're screwed. I'd not put new threads on a hub without a lathe.
Old 10-19-18, 02:43 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,938 Posts
Originally Posted by Drivingyoumad
What is "VAR"?
A venerable French manufacturer of tools for the bicycle trade:

https://www.vartools.com/en

However, I don't see the hub die in their latest catalog. With the industry having long since moved to "freehubs," it's entirely likely that they have dropped it.

As mentioned earlier, depending on what you're trying to accomplish, a thread file may be an adequate and far more affordable option.
Old 10-19-18, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Var is a French bicycle tool manufacturer. Mostly high quality, pricey tools.
thank you, sir. Now I am feeling more and more like it is a bad idea to get in business... I really just enjoy working on classic bikes (from my child hood) I really want the die to be self sufficient in modernizing the older bikes.
Old 10-19-18, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just didn't know modernizing is apparently becoming more like Vintage-nizing the antiquities...
hell.. the "oldies" station on the radio plays music that peers listened to in highschool, if that dates me. Dang.
Old 10-19-18, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
One thought might be to see how much it would cost to have a local machine shop make a short production run. I have a friend who makes a super specialized component for a musical instrument. He has a design drawing, and a reputable local shop has programmed it into their CNC lathe. They can run it when their machine has down time. Shops often have an idle lathe, and might be able to cut you a deal.