Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 12:14 PM
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
that being said, they have GOT to do something about the finish. way too narrow to not have the full road. furthermore, if you're going to say "yellow line rule in effect all the way," it would've been nice to see that being enforced. half the 3/4 field was to the left of the yellow line during the last 1km. also had a moto ref tell me to "let someone in" who was riding to the left of the yellow line at one point during the race...i could be wrong, but I'm not totally convinced that's how it's supposed to work. there were also people feeding all around the course, not just in the feed zone, which I'm also pretty sure is not legal.
You make a good point. The P123 was small enough and spread out enough that it wasn't an issue. But if a field of 30+ had come to that straightaway it would have been a lot different, that didn't occur to me at the time.

I am curious where other people fed on the course? I don't think I saw any of that in our race. I am curious if the BBQers along the side of the course started handing out water?
Old 08-08-16, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Relevant USAC rules on feeding:

Originally Posted by Rule 3C5(a)
Riders may be supplied with food or drink in either of two
ways, as planned jointly by the Race Director and Chief
Referee:
(i) In specified feed zones by hand-ups from the
Race Director's staff or the rider's support staff;
(ii) From support vehicles during the race.
Feeding will normally begin 50 km from the start.
Feeding shall be authorized thereafter except for the
last 20 km. This may be modified by the Chief
Referee depending on the nature of the course and
the weather.
Originally Posted by Rule 3C5(d)
Any riders accepting food or drink from spectators,
provided that this is not an organized service, shall do so at
their own risk.
Basically, if randos on the side of the course are handing out food or water and a rider chooses to take it, that's ok. If someone is providing a feed in any kind of organized way (e.g. they're associated with a specific rider/team and looking to feed them specifically) they have to do it in the feed zone.
Old 08-08-16, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i forget where exactly on the course it was, but it was definitely not just random people.
Old 08-08-16, 05:08 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not true on the feed rule, outside the zone is an illegal feed. We knew about the feeding outside the zone and discussed it as officials but decided to let it go because the feed zone was not marked. It has to be by rule. We have two pages of officials feedback for the promoter. Next year it will be marked and the zone enforced.

As for the finish the only field where it was an issue was the 3/4 because of size. We had an officer blocking traffic coming the other way so we could have given the field the whole road, except (getting the theme here?) the 200m sign did not exist. We had the numbers for two out of the ten over the line but since the numbers were on the opposite side the motos could not get them all. We decided to let it go. Not the best outcome but the best alternative.
Old 08-08-16, 07:43 PM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I remember seeing a 200m sign. Did y'all put it up for the 1/2/3's?
Old 08-09-16, 04:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Officials don't put up signs . It's possible he put one up after the CR gave instructions but it would have had to have been up before then to change them. Wth the start 1.5 miles from the finish I had no way of knowing. Stuff for next year.
Old 08-10-16, 01:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wiiiiiiiiiiitches cup!
Old 08-24-16, 09:40 AM

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
hmm, looks like jamestown isn't a USAC race anymore, just the "gran fondo"? too bad if that's the case...
Old 08-24-16, 06:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup. You can thank the guys pissing in public.
Old 08-24-16, 07:30 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
we need names in order to do a proper witch hunt.

actually, what do you call it when the bogey is actually real?
Old 08-25-16, 07:21 AM

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Ugh, of course. What is it with the weak bladders? I can ride for hours without needing to go, maybe i'm dehydrated.
Old 08-25-16, 02:17 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man.

Barneveld teen in critical condition after crash involving milk tanker, bicycle - News - Uticaod - Utica, NY
Old 08-25-16, 02:32 PM
Nonsense

That's terrible, I've raced with him a bunch the past couple of years and he's a very talented junior and awfully nice. I hope he heals quickly.
Old 08-25-16, 04:52 PM
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So from what I remember from years past they ran both USAC and Non-USAC races there. It seems to me like they are choosing just to not run the USAC race. How do they know that it was a USAC racer necessarily? Also there is nothing to prevent a USAC racer from signing up ffor the non-USAC event and repeating the offense. How do they know that the non-USAC racers won't do the same?

Honestly it sounds more like they just don't want to run it as a USAC event, which is fine, but I don't know if that is really the best explanation as to why they want to continue to run a bike race but not have any USAC fields.
Old 08-25-16, 05:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are choosing not to run any race. It's a fondo now, which usually means less categories and much larger fields. We've always had problems with the residents becaus there are so few roads on the island and so many fields. It's almost a given that a larger faster field is going to overtake, usually right after the u-turn before the sprint. It gets so ugly. Plus we take over the roads and center of town for pretty much the whole day. It's a huge impact.

That said, bike racers can be so self centered and careless about what it takes to put on a race and what it means to the communities that host them. At Tokeneke I had a pro start taking a piss on his bike on the first lap. The first lap. There's no excuse for that. What's worse he couldn't get the stream going so he had to try several times. When it wasn't working on the third try, and with the field heading into civilization, I sent the car up to tell him to get with it now or I'm going to write you up.
Old 08-25-16, 06:46 PM
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All those things I understand. It always seemed like there was a lot of car traffic. I was always surprised that they even put the race on (Not that I am complaining they did, just sort of surprised the town didn't say 'no'). It was a fun race, I liked the course but I understand the challenges on that course. What I am referring to is that someone peeing in public seems more like a recipe for saying "No race at all!" than it is for saying "No USAC race! But we are gonna do an age grouping gran fondo.". To me it seems more like the decision was made based upon cost and or time to run the races.

As for Tokeneke, I get that he shouldn't be peeing through the center of town, but who really cares if he was peeing on the first lap or the last lap? I mean if you are going to say "No peeing off the bike at any time" that is fair, or no peeing in the town, but getting annoyed he peed early in the race? I don't know if this is the best example of a self centered and careless racer (probably one with some bladder issues from the description) and I get how people in general can be self centered and careless but I think we are getting into the stereotyping realm. Most people are pretty good, the bad ones ruin it for everyone else, just like drivers.
Old 08-25-16, 08:08 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Also, if you find yourself needing to pee off the bike, doing it early is better. More time to recover if something goes while you're at the back...
Old 08-25-16, 08:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're talking 20 minutes after the start. You mean to tell me that your pre race routine timing is so critical for an 88 mile race that you can't take a few minutes to hit the john before the start?
Old 08-25-16, 09:33 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been in races where the field stopped 15 minutes in to pee...

You've never left the house and had to pee 15 minutes later? never?
Old 08-26-16, 06:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a crit racer. Never had a pee problem in a road race.

Look, the rules are clear. If the CR takes a risk and allows discrete peeing on the bike, then don't abuse it.
Old 08-26-16, 07:23 AM
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just really don't think that counts as abuse. I know plenty of people who have the whole "need to pee every 30 minutes thing". Just ask one of my teammates, driving to races with him is always funny. I am just saying that some guy peeing early in the race doesn't mean he is necessarily abusing the privilege, if he was being a **** about it (Aiming for people's mailboxes and dogs) then obviously that is a no-no.
Old 08-26-16, 11:37 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was a crit racer. Never had a pee problem in a road race.

Look, the rules are clear. If the CR takes a risk and allows discrete peeing on the bike, then don't abuse it.
I'm not arguing the rule or any consequences, just saying I don't think the dude is an ass for HAVING to pee. If he's peeing off the bike in a downtown stretch or something, that's one thing, but just having to go - I can commiserate.
Old 08-26-16, 12:44 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Triathletes pee on their bikes all the time*. Just saying.

*not endorsing peeing on your bike. It's just that I've seen some gross pictures of bikes that came in for service. Totally not part of the conversation. nvm.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-26-16, 12:55 PM
Nonsense

Well, triathletes don't have much choice. If one of em removes a hand from the bars they're going to crash. Trying to roll up a leg? You're talking death race carnage.
Old 08-26-16, 01:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so...new circuit course at GMSR, has anyone ridden it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.