Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are you really who you say you are....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 09:49 AM
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

This got me thinking from another thread. Of the more known of larger Italian builders who actually build their own bikes. I'm not talking currently but of the time period of related to this forum. Like when you toss your leg over that Colnago, Ciocc, Guerciotti, etc...is it really or just the decals? I know quite a few companies had frames built by subcontractors like Billato so I was just curious. I guess it kind of ruins it for me when I find out frame wasn't actually built by so and so. My Ciocc is a mid 80's TSD model so it was never in the same building as Giovanni as the name was sold years before it was ever built. I just look at the bike a little differently and I guess that goes for most TSD bikes.

Plus who and when did they sell their name? Such as Masi, Ciocc, Bottecchia...
Old 05-16-12, 09:54 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 514 Post(s)
Quoted: 7413 Post(s)
Liked 2,614 Times in 1,523 Posts
I'm the only Tom Reingold on the internet, so when you google me, all those embarrassing quotes really did come from me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-16-12, 10:11 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 1,709 Posts
I'm pretty sure my '74 and '83 Colnagos were built in Cambiago. The other Italians I have are all somewhat obscure, so I couldn't say for sure - they could've sub-contracted. All except Casati - I know they do all their frames under one roof.

I'm positive my Davidson was built in Seattle, in the back workshop at Elliott Bay Bicycles

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 05-16-12 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-16-12, 10:33 AM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26482 Post(s)
Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Not really, but I'm in witness protection, so I can't say any more.

Let's just say I sang like a canary about the Specialized Crime Syndicate.
Old 05-16-12, 10:34 AM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
Pretty much all of my bikes were built by the names that adorn them. I know that the Billatos, and other subcontractors, were fantastic builders (often better than those they worked for), but, for me, there's something special about the bike being built by the factory/workshop...or, preferably, builder, whose name is on my bike. I have little interest in Ciocc, Bottechia, Colnago, etc. for that very reason. It might be irrational, but I like knowing a De Rosa built my De Rosas.

As a side note - why is better to have a Serotta built by Bedford or Kirk at the Serotta factory than getting a Ciocc built by a Billatto? Since Colnago hands likely never touched DD's Colnago, is that really preferable to one that's subcontracted? Some bikes are more valuable subcontracted - like a Billato Lemond. All of this is to say that it's all perception and marketing. I know that, yet am still susceptible to it.
Old 05-16-12, 10:43 AM
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my bikes were built by drunken Brits
Old 05-16-12, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The only collectables that I have that I know are contract built bikes would be the Carlton built Raleighs and Rudge. But I guess if Raleigh owned the factory that would not count. I don't think my Raleighs are of the correct vintage.

I can tell you I used to build a lot of MTB's for brands that didn't have the ability to make anything. I still do for a few.
Likes For ftwelder:
Old 05-16-12, 12:26 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 2,252 Times in 990 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
...I can tell you I used to build a lot of MTB's for brands that didn't have the ability to make anything. I still do for a few.
Frank, that is such an incredible statement. Sad but true across many professions. In my business this would be the case for the pastors who never write their own sermons or prayers.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-16-12, 12:42 PM
Polymultipliι

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked 4,845 Times in 1,822 Posts
No, of course not. Where's the fun in that?

But on a more serious note: isn't the search for who actually built the bike part of the whole C&V experience? For me it is.
Old 05-16-12, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 621 Posts
I built my own for racing back then, so I know it wasn't outsourced !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-16-12, 01:42 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Centurion didn't make any of my bikes, and it's likely my Cinellis were Chirico-made, and I'm 110% OK with that.
Old 05-16-12, 02:02 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 879 Posts
One of my best-riding bikes of all time, a 1997 Masi Nuova Strada, has an "M" cutout in the bb shell, but it's not the Masi "M".
It's Mondonico-built, and I am quite OK with that. It was alco painted in California, by I think Dave Allen(?) at Cyclesmiths(?) perhaps.
Just a great ride, and with the enviable reputation for quality control that such a large contract builder can boast.
Both my Marin Vicenza and (former) Palo-Alto Touring bike were especially good bikes as well, and both were built by Billato.

I have a Fausto Coppi 1990's Repato Corse that is very nice also, and I would like to know who built it.

Even my 1952 Eugene Christophe pro road bike, though sold at or through E. Christophe's French storefront, is identical to the Automoto Champion De Monde of the same year, but perhaps even the very large Automoto company contracted out their top model.

Last edited by dddd; 05-16-12 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 02:05 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Frank, that is such an incredible statement. Sad but true across many professions. In my business this would be the case for the pastors who never write their own sermons or prayers.
I still do.

On the other hand, I have some spaghetti in the pantry that isnt made in Italy.
Old 05-16-12, 02:08 PM
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
If you're into the collectability and provenance of a bike, where a frame was built matters. Or maybe if you get a kick out of researching it & knowing, like sports statistics. It must matter to a lot of collectors, since I've read here about scammers forging Colnagos, etc.

The implication of a sub-contracted or off-shore built bike, of course, is that it's done to meet cost or production volume targets, and therefore the quality is not as good. That, and it doesn't have the "romance" of coming from some Italian craftsman's shop. This is all relative, back in the 80's Japanese bikes were considered copies and not all that great, now the vintage ones have respect.

Old Italian bike= collectible,even though they made crappy ones, too.
New one, actually made in China with spotty quality, and a re-licensed or a made-up, Italian style name= (perceived as) junk.
Old 05-16-12, 02:16 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 879 Posts
"Old Italian bike= collectible,even though they made crappy ones, too.
New one, actually made in China with spotty quality, and a re-licensed or a made-up, Italian style name= (perceived as) junk."

In today's market, with faster start-ups, it's going to be harder to quantify what you're buying.
Companies that have maintained a continuous output of bikes are correctly percieved as more likely to have control of maintaining their reputation for quality, even if they do outsource production.
A re-start of an old name is better than nothing only to the extent that the obsolete brand name has value such that the new owner loses value of the brand they bought if they build bad product.
Old 05-16-12, 02:26 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Both of my Bianchis were made in Asia. I'm okay with it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-16-12, 02:29 PM
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I know who built 3 of my guitars.
Old 05-16-12, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 91 Posts
My chrome (April) '71 Schwinn Paramount was probably built in "the cage" at the Chicago Schwinn plant, but I don't think that is definite. I've read that Don Mainland in Wisconsin built all of the chrome Paramounts for model year 1972 (and beyond?), but wasn't doing nearly as many before that, so that would seem to mean there's a good chance my '71 bike was built in Chicago. I really don't know, and I don't think there's any way to know for sure. From a workmanship standpoint it wouldn't be a bad thing if he built it, since I think the reason he built the full chrome bikes was that his finish work on the frames was better for the most part.
Old 05-16-12, 03:21 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked 3,090 Times in 1,574 Posts
Well as I have said in here before, I have built atleast one new from 10spd Drive Guerciotti frame that although painted//badged Guerciotti the BB shell and other embellishments were atcually Battaglin.

I have it on good authority that my Bertoni "funny bike" as well as other Bertonis were built by Bianchi.

I am however confident that all my Italian Bianchis were built by a employee of Bianchi Spa Italy but I don't think Eduardo has picked up a torch in several years.

I have no idea who built the Rigi frames for WSI back in the day. Same with my Cornelo (it is actually Dutch but worth mentioning) although I was told it was thought to be built in Italy

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 05-16-12 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 03:45 PM

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
According to the catalog "every Tommasini frame and fork is built personally by Iro Tommasini". Not sure if that means he actually brazes every frame or not but I take it to mean they're all built in house and I love that fact.

On the other hand, I was just given a '59 Huffy Sportsman 3-speed that was built by Raleigh. Everything about it is British and that's a huge relief!
Old 05-16-12, 04:01 PM
is just a real cool dude

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
I guess what I'm saying is if a bike is made by so and so then it raises my eyebrow if it was actually made in their shop.

What's the whole story on TSD frames? Did they do like braze on work such putting on their own brake bridges or did they just get bare frames or so the painting there. Or did they build the entire frame up there. Like Trina said one Guerciotti she built up had Battaglin embellishments. Now I'm not saying I expect a Colnago to be brazed up Ernesto otherwise I'm not happy.

What famous companies sold their names and no longer associated with the brand?
Old 05-16-12, 04:15 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
I guess what I'm saying is if a bike is made by so and so then it raises my eyebrow if it was actually made in their shop.

What's the whole story on TSD frames? Did they do like braze on work such putting on their own brake bridges or did they just get bare frames or so the painting there. Or did they build the entire frame up there. Like Trina said one Guerciotti she built up had Battaglin embellishments. Now I'm not saying I expect a Colnago to be brazed up Ernesto otherwise I'm not happy.

Eddy Merckx

Schwinn, Dawes, Bottechia, Motobecane. GT, Diamond Back, Mongoose, Rene Herse, Cinelli, Merlin, Litespeed.
Old 05-16-12, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Newton
I know who built 3 of my guitars.
Me too. :-) And I believe my Mercian was built by Mercian.

Last edited by Simplyhere; 05-16-12 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 04:36 PM

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Are Schwinns built in Chicago more Schwinnish than those from Greenville and more Schwinnish than Panasonic or Giant Schwinns? Good bikes, all.

Are Raleighs (USA) built by Merida really Raleighs? I'd swear that in the mid 80's they had more Raleigh "flavour" than any coming out of the homeland - and acceptable quality as a side feature.
But what about Kent built Raleighs? B-/
Actually a lot of the RBCA bikes where actually made by Huffy . But as said they where very nice well built affordable bike as good or better than a lot of the stuff built in England.
Old 05-16-12, 04:49 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked 3,090 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III

To the best of my knowledge the 10spd drive frame were built for them in Italy and I would assume they asked for / required th brake bridge stamping or maybe they did that before painting the frame in Fla.

How many of these guys are even around? Bottechia bikes did not come out until after his mysterious demise. Is Battaglin or Guerciotti still around? Who holds the name? I know there other frames brought in by 10spd I just can't think of any beside Coicc and Lemond and of course the afore mentioned Bottechias

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.