Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Cycling tax"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 04:06 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10483 Post(s)
Liked 12,004 Times in 6,147 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Really? You think there's a business reason for listing the following?

1. Square taper Campy Chorus bottom bracket with Italian threads.

2. 14 tooth Campy cog for 11 speed cassette.

3. 2.4mm "Q" spacer for 10 speed Campy cassette.

4. Campy ultra-shift right thumb button.

The list goes on and on. There is no business reason for listing these items -- it's just Walmart IT workers run amok.
Of course there's a business reason - the customer sees no reason to shop elsewhere, and all Walmart need do is put up a page on their site, and act as middleman for drop shipped products. They don't need to stock them at all. For the vendor who does, they get a wider customer base and they don't have to have their own online ordering business.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-09-23, 04:17 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Regardless of whether Blackburn is owned by Walmart, they are the de facto house brand now. Walmart has began to stock exclusively Blackburn items. Competing buying options are gone, so Walmart may not own the brand, but if Blackburn makes that item, you won't find a competitor at Wally World now.
The problem is, you're misusing the term "house brand", which REALLY means "a brand name used by a retailer for a product or product line made specifically for or by the retailer. such a product, usually offered at a lower price than a comparable name-brand product", per Dictionary.com. Generally house brands, like "Signature" at Safeway, are on the shelf next to the name brand products.

BTW, Safeway doesn't can its own peas (for example). Retailers buy the product from the name brand producers and either label it themselves or have it labeled with their house brand by the company they buy from.

Old 04-09-23, 04:20 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think a better description of what's happened in the past couple decades is that LBS can no longer mark up their parts and accessories because they are competing with online retail.
And yet many bike shops do mark up their prices and sell their stock at higher prices than what you can get online and their business is thriving...and people still go there and buy stuff from them. Majority of people still prefer in - store shopping instead of shopping online. A couple of regulars here on this list who prefer online shopping don't represent the shopping preferences of majority of consumers out there.
Old 04-09-23, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18471 Post(s)
Liked 15,737 Times in 7,399 Posts
You presume to know what motivated me to post this thread.
And what is my presumption?
Old 04-09-23, 04:53 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by indyfabz

Old 04-09-23, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The problem is, you're misusing the term "house brand", which REALLY means "a brand name used by a retailer for a product or product line made specifically for or by the retailer. such a product, usually offered at a lower price than a comparable name-brand product", per Dictionary.com. Generally house brands, like "Signature" at Safeway, are on the shelf next to the name brand products.

BTW, Safeway doesn't can its own peas (for example). Retailers buy the product from the name brand producers and either label it themselves or have it labeled with their house brand by the company they buy from.
I conceded above that I was mistaken about Walmart owning Blackburn. Now harping on the terminology is simply picking nits. But I have noticed that does seem to be a favorite pastime for some people here.
I wouldn't venture a guess. I am not as presumptuous as you.
Old 04-09-23, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7058 Post(s)
Liked 11,111 Times in 4,745 Posts
The problem is, you're misusing the term "house brand", which REALLY means "a brand name used by a retailer for a product or product line made specifically for or by the retailer. such a product, usually offered at a lower price than a comparable name-brand product", per Dictionary.com.
And you don't find those house brand products at other stores -- unlike Blackburn products, which are carried at a gazillion shops and sites other than Walmart.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-09-23, 05:04 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Koyote
And you don't find those house brand products at other stores -- unlike Blackburn products, which are carried at a gazillion shops and sites other than Walmart.
So, kinda the opposite of a house brand.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-09-23, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18471 Post(s)
Liked 15,737 Times in 7,399 Posts

Based on your previous post, why would you need to guess? BTW…Presuming means going with the probability. Thanks again. The jig is definitely up, if it wasn’t already.

Off to update my iggy list.
Old 04-09-23, 05:30 PM

Based on your previous post, why would you need to guess? BTW…Presuming means going with the probability. Thanks again. The jig is definitely up, if it wasn’t already.

Off to update my iggy list.
Not exactly. From dictionary.com:
to take for granted, assume, or suppose:
But you go ahead and update your "iggy" list.
Old 04-09-23, 05:32 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
And yet many bike shops do mark up their prices and sell their stock at higher prices than what you can get online and their business is thriving...and people still go there and buy stuff from them. Majority of people still prefer in - store shopping instead of shopping online. A couple of regulars here on this list who prefer online shopping don't represent the shopping preferences of majority of consumers out there.

Around here, pretty much all of the stores still left have at least two locations (allows them to keep more stuff in stock)
​​​and emphasize service. You can definitely get people to pay a few bucks more if you can get them in the door.
Old 04-09-23, 05:42 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I conceded above that I was mistaken about Walmart owning Blackburn. Now harping on the terminology is simply picking nits. But I have noticed that does seem to be a favorite pastime for some people here.

Your original post was definitely a complaint about bike related goods generally, but now your complaint seems to be that Wal-Mart doesn't keep enough brands in stock in its store. (Geez, just go to the website).

The bigger picture is that you started this thread with a silly assertion about a "bicycle tax" and how we're getting "screwed". I don't think it's nitpicky to point out that literally everything you said about your supposed example of this was completely wrong.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-09-23, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Your original post was definitely a complaint about bike related goods generally, but now your complaint seems to be that Wal-Mart doesn't keep enough brands in stock in its store. (Geez, just go to the website).

The bigger picture is that you started this thread with a silly assertion about a "bicycle tax" and how we're getting "screwed". I don't think it's nitpicky to point out that literally everything you said about your supposed example of this was completely wrong.
No. I have simply been commenting about my exposure. Living in a more rural area, I do not have the retail options many of you have. It's not a complaint about Walmart not carrying enough brands. Besides, I don't think anybody goes around thinking "Walmart = quality". Walmart is a convenience retailer. I don't go there looking for the best of anything, only what I absolutely need.

"Literally everything"? Literally? OK.
Old 04-09-23, 07:27 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
https://www.bicycleconnectionmd.com/...od-62048-1.htm
https://www.blueridgecyclery.com/pro...od-62048-1.htm
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/dais...r-for-air-guns
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-09-23, 07:32 PM

And your repeated assertion that Blackburn is a 'de facto' Walmart house brand is - from your own description - literally the opposite of what house brand means. Literally. As genejockey pointed out in post #183.

Again, it takes a strong and confident intellect to admit to mistakes and learn from them. It takes a different sort to double-down on errors in the face of such incontrovertible refutation.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-09-23, 07:59 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
There is no tax on bicycles or bike parts.

People who say silly things and try to weasel out by posting irrelevant internet quotes need to learn when to admit they were wrong and drop the topic.

People who make ridiculous claims which are thoroughly disproved should learn to say “ Okay, I was wrong about that” and move on.

If people lack basic honesty …. Well, we see how the world is now, and lots of people complain…. If you lack basic honesty. You are the problem.

Forget Red and Blue states…… there are “True” and “Untrue” states in which we live. If you will lie to win an internet debate, you live in a state of untruth. Not a healthy state. Please consider moving.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-09-23, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
it figures a guy with a Vette wouldn't know which end of a pump to use.
Old 04-10-23, 04:53 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Yes," literally ". I know what that word means and I chose it deliberately.
You asserted that this was an unknown house brand that " no doubt" was owned by Wal-Mart. Literally, every bit of that was wrong, as is your assertion that Blackburn is the only brand they sell. You can order pretty much anything you want through the Wal-Mart website, and select in store delivery.

You know your "bicycle tax" stuff was complete bs, you don't want to admit it but know you can't defend it, and instead attack people for "nitpicking".

Looks like dedhed found exactly what you said wasn't being manufactured anymore, so apparently you got that one wrong, too. "Literally everything" complete.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-10-23 at 04:57 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-10-23, 07:01 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Do people not understand that there's quality tiers to tires? I can get a schwalbe marathon for 14 € per tire but conti GP5000 S TRs are 55€ a pop, minimum. One is a hard wearing allround tire that'll not win any races but might take you around the world safely. The other is a top end racing tire that's essentially built for pure speed.

If I were to put highest grade of professional racing track tires on our toyota I'd be paying out the nose and they wouldn't last very long.

If you want fast bicycle tires they're going to be expensive. You can buy slower tires for cheaper. But of course it's more satisfying to complain on the internet that the luxury product you want costs too much.

It also makes reasonable sense that a high performance racing tire is going to cost a lot more than a heavy duty one. Essentially, a racing tire is pushing the envelope of ratio of load to material--attempting to handle high stress use with the least amount of material possible. This requires much higher levels of quality control than the heavy duty tire because there really is no tolerance for defects with the racing tires. The smallest imperfection in construction or material is likely to lead to quick failure of the product. An "overbuilt" tire like the Marathon has enough structural redundancy built into it that a small imperfection will likely be compensated by some other aspect of the tire. Thus the marginal cost of producing one more Marathon is going to be lower than that of the racing tire at any level of production.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-10-23, 07:18 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Kirkland Signature is a weird exception to this. It's definitely a brand wholly owned by Costco and supposedly exclusive to their stores, but the products are being resold through Amazon and Walmart sites. It appears that vendors are using the Costco retail stores as wholesalers, then reselling the bulk-purchased goods in smaller lots. I have several Kirkland products in my home, and I don't think I've had a Costco membership in the last 25 years, nor set foot in any of their stores in the 21st century.
Old 04-10-23, 07:37 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Secretary of War : How about taking up the tax?

Rufus T. Firefly : How 'bout taking up the carpet?

Secretary of War : I still insist we must take up the tax!

Rufus T. Firefly : He's right, you've gotta take up the tacks before you can take up the carpet.

I literally just saw this movie for the first time this past Saturday so this reference made even more sense to me
Old 04-10-23, 07:58 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by dennis336
I literally just saw this movie for the first time this past Saturday so this reference made even more sense to me
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-10-23, 10:43 AM

I have since noticed, as with other items at Walmart, they stopped carrying certain lesser name brand items and replaced those items with their own "house" brand. In this case, Blackburn. Gone are individual bike components from various manufacturers, all replaced with similar items under the Blackburn brand. No doubt made from the Walmart owned China factory.
but Blackburn has replaced virtually every other competing product on the shelves. So Blackburn is effectively the "house brand" even if they don't have stake in the company.
Regardless of whether Blackburn is owned by Walmart, they are the de facto house brand now. Walmart has began to stock exclusively Blackburn items. Competing buying options are gone, so Walmart may not own the brand, but if Blackburn makes that item, you won't find a competitor at Wally World now.
I stopped at the local Walmart today and had a quick look in the bike accessories aisle...And found plenty of brands other than Blackburn - sometimes for the same type of product. I suspect this is true at most Walmart stores, including the OP's. But as we know, she has a shaky relationship with the truth.

Yet another assertion on which the OP is -- literally -- completely incorrect.

Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-10-23, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,425 Times in 2,986 Posts
I stopped at the local Walmart today and had a quick look in the bike accessories aisle...And found plenty of brands other than Blackburn - sometimes for the same type of product. I suspect this is true at most Walmart stores, including the OP's. But as we know, she has a shaky relationship with the truth.

Yet another assertion on which the OP is -- literally -- completely incorrect.
I count 8 house brands ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-10-23, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 257 Posts
Supply and demand. No need to look further than that. A merchant charges what the market will bear. Don't pay more than an item is worth to you.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.