Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steel road bike comfort- carbon vs aluminum wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steel road bike comfort- carbon vs aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-22, 04:06 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
What difference? Ride quality? Please.
Yes, they ride differently. In MTB use, CF rims are noticeably stiffer. They track better but can be to harsh for some folks. In fact, calming that harshness has been an ongoing process over the last few years.

Anyone who has spent time on various aluminum and CF rims knows there is a difference. Heck there’s even a noticeable difference between various CF rims.

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Because...feels?
^
Yes, because “feels”. They “feel” different. What else matters? That IS the ultimate test.

Don’t you work in a bike shop? How on earth do you not know this?

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-04-22 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 04:20 PM
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
If the people attempting to describe differences in comfort among wheels mean something other than "vertical deflection," I hope that they'll clarify what they mean and provide data from a reputable source that quantify that which they are describing.
I was alluding to the concept of unsprung weight and its effect on a vehicle's suspension, which affects both handling and comfort. I do not have data but this is a well established concept in suspension tuning. See, e.g.:

Influence of unsprung weight on vehicle ride quality - ScienceDirect
Old 05-04-22, 04:57 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The test that I linked to refers to side-to-side movement of bike rims in a built wheel under load as "lateral deflection." If the people attempting to describe differences in comfort among wheels mean something other than "vertical deflection," I hope that they'll clarify what they mean and provide data from a reputable source that quantify that which they are describing.
So, if some lab has not produced measurments to explain the differences that people are feeling, then they are not actually feeling it?

What is even the point of doing these measurements when all that really matters IS the subjective experience.

Some folks here have really got a backwards view of of what actually matters in design and reaults.
Old 05-04-22, 09:18 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You’re the first person to bring up “vertical deflection” in this thread.
So then that poster is the first person to more concisely label what's being described.
Vertical deflection is what you described earlier at least thats how I also read your post.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-05-22, 08:33 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 1,035 Posts
The test that I linked to refers to side-to-side movement of bike rims in a built wheel under load as "lateral deflection." If the people attempting to describe differences in comfort among wheels mean something other than "vertical deflection," I hope that they'll clarify what they mean and provide data from a reputable source that quantify that which they are describing.
The fact is no one talked about, mentioned, or referred to “vertical compliance” until you *assumed* that was the issue. It seems the issue is some being unable to imagine the complexities of wheel dynamics and riding conditions as part and parcel of ride quality. Is there any reason to exempt lateral deflection from “ride quality?” Should torsional wind-up not be considered a factor in ride quality? Is there any reason to exclude spoke lacing, type, material, and size from understanding how those elements affect ride quality? Hub flange height and spacing have no impact on “ride quality,” is that what you’d assert? How about bearing count, placement, and type?

As I said before, it defies reason to assume that material properties and mechanical properties don’t have any impact on ride quality. It may be that one rider doesn’t demand from the wheels the same as another rider, for example, a 140lbs touring cyclist on glassy smooth pavement over flat terrain who corners slowly and conservatively will not experience wheel dynamics (i.e. ride quality) in the same way a 240lbs racer on the curving, rough roads of the Appalachian foothills will experience wheel dynamics, but that does not mean all wheels behave the same.

To further illuminate the point: GOKISO