Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Covered Bridge Metric Century 2009

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Covered Bridge Metric Century 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 05:55 AM
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
wow. condolences to the man's family.

as far as the number of cyclists...i thought it was a HUGE number. but, you also have to understand, that the majority of the organized rides i do have, oh, at most 500 riders! 4100 riders?!?!?!?!?!

personally, i think that is just way too many and there should be a cut-off, but, again, that's just my opinion....that many riders, and it's hard to have & keep the rest stops stocked. water was a bit of an issue at the last stop....i needed some on my head to help cool me off, but when i took a jug to do that i got fussed at cause they were running out...

oh well, it was still a great ride and i had a wonderful time! it was really great to get to meet all of you guys (& gal)!
Old 08-18-09, 06:35 AM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack
wow. condolences to the man's family.

as far as the number of cyclists...i thought it was a HUGE number. but, you also have to understand, that the majority of the organized rides i do have, oh, at most 500 riders! 4100 riders?!?!?!?!?!

personally, i think that is just way too many and there should be a cut-off, but, again, that's just my opinion....that many riders, and it's hard to have & keep the rest stops stocked. water was a bit of an issue at the last stop....i needed some on my head to help cool me off, but when i took a jug to do that i got fussed at cause they were running out...

oh well, it was still a great ride and i had a wonderful time! it was really great to get to meet all of you guys (& gal)!
Thoughts and prayers for the family.

I think the problem is not the sheer number of riders (there were 4500 for the ACS bike-a-thon with fully stocked rest stops every 10 - 12 miles - and I think they're planning on 7000 for the City to Shore). I think the problem is the increase in riders. I seem to remember someone saying that there were about 3000 last year; that 25% increase could account for some problems. I also had a (minor) gripe about that last stop: I asked for some ice for my CamelBak and was told that they couldn't spare any. The volunteer said "We've got a thousand riders. Do you know how much ice we'd need if everyone asked for some?" Ummmmm...probably an extra thousand pounds, or maybe, what? another hundred dollars worth?

Nonetheless, it was a great ride, and I'm really being nit-picky. I had a lot of fun, and as I said before, I'm planning to do it with my girlfriend next year.
Old 08-18-09, 08:10 AM

Bikes: '09 Surly Cross Check, '05 Specialized Allez Comp, '08 Specialized Langster, Iro Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overall I think this ride was great and really well put together. My hats off the the Lancaster Bicycle Club. I feel the rest stops were great and having ice for my water was moot since it was warm after 5 min on the bike anyway. Lunch and the finish were great with plenty of food and drink. I was also really impressed with how many intersections were manned by local PD. This was my first time attending this event and plan on returning next year. There was some really great scenery and was a real treat coming from NYC. It is unfortunate that there was a death on this ride, but put that many riders in one place and the odds go up.

I regret ditching my camera at the last minute. Thanks to those that carried theirs along!

Pgoat, it was great riding with you and your wife. I wouldn't have had such a good time if I rode solo.

Yes, that was my black Surly with the nice yellow fenders. I love those things.
Old 08-18-09, 08:11 AM
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste
I think the problem is not the sheer number of riders (there were 4500 for the ACS bike-a-thon with fully stocked rest stops every 10 - 12 miles - and I think they're planning on 7000 for the City to Shore). I think the problem is the increase in riders. I seem to remember someone saying that there were about 3000 last year; that 25% increase could account for some problems.
yes, that is precisely what I meant. These rides are not easy to organize, especially when increased enrollment throws them some curves. I could tell as soon as we pulled into the parking lot in the AM that it was much more crowded. Also walking through the finish area.

It may be that they'll need to either put a cap on enrollment for safety's sake, or start changing the ride; avoid tight turns on the route, or charge more for added support at food and water stops, etc. Personally I think keeping the number down would be better, at least in this case. I'd hate to see more casualities and I think those horses had enough cyclists buzzing around them as it is.

And wolfie is right on - it's all what you're used to. There are rides here that have 30-40,000 people. Claustrophobia and then some...of course, with those numbers your speed (and your fun) is drastically compromised.
Old 08-18-09, 08:52 AM

Bikes: 1973 Masi Gran Criterium 1989 Spectrum Steel 1995 Calfee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gang, It was great riding with you . meeting some new faces and seeing some old ones. Steve , I didn't realize you had a route planned for saturday , sorry. i had a great ride dispite sunday's accident. ordered new bars and tape this morning, still a little stiff but planning on going out this evening on my other bike and see how i feel. i still had a great ride. walt
Old 08-18-09, 09:10 AM
Ceci n'est pas un vélo.

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Canondale Six Carbon 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wanted to say how great it was finally putting a face to a lot of the names I see around here. This was my first big ride and I really had a great time. Thanks to everyone I met for making it a great experience.
Old 08-18-09, 09:11 AM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calfee5
Gang, It was great riding with you . meeting some new faces and seeing some old ones. Steve , I didn't realize you had a route planned for saturday , sorry. i had a great ride dispite sunday's accident. ordered new bars and tape this morning, still a little stiff but planning on going out this evening on my other bike and see how i feel. i still had a great ride. walt
No worries Walt, the route I had was a 'let's get lost in lancaster for an hour' type of route... yours was excellent Glad you're not too beat up from the spill... going aluminum with the bars this round?

Photos should be up soon:
https://www.digiproofs.com/
password: bridge
Old 08-18-09, 09:17 AM

Bikes: 1973 Masi Gran Criterium 1989 Spectrum Steel 1995 Calfee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, i feel more secure with them . they might bend, but you have something to hold on to.
Old 08-18-09, 09:46 AM
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
wow....i almost forgot this picture....SB brought something special for me...
Old 08-18-09, 10:07 AM
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hersheys and covered bridges.....No wonder we drove through a nearby PA town called 'Paradise.'
Old 08-18-09, 10:54 AM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What they really need to do with the increase in riders, is use different markings for turns. The white spray painted bridge on the side of the road, in some cases years old and fading, is a huge cause for concern... I almost rode our group straight into a corn field due to not being able to tell what direction to go in. Not sure if there's a legal issue with lawn signs, but for any sharp turns on narrow roads, they should really be putting up several turn warning signs so riders have adequate time to slow and judge the turn properly - especially with a ride this big where you have cyclists of varying ability riding together. Cue sheets are an even worse distraction and compromise safety even more than road markings IMO. They're only good if you get lost.

Still a good ride, but there is definitely room for improvement. They could have used another water stop before the last one, but leaving lunch with two full bottles was enough for 20mi, so I'm not complaining. I can see how some folks would want an additional stop though.
Old 08-18-09, 04:16 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Photos

My photos of the Covered Bridge Ride, 2009, are here.

- Ed
Old 08-18-09, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very sad to read that there was indeed a fatality. Condolences to his loved ones.

I also wanted to note that me and my riding buddy only did 60. We missed a turn somewhere around Royce Rd I think it's called that had an extra 3 mile loop. I was fine with it as I was hot a tired at the end of 60 anyway but I think there could have been better markings at that point. I remember last year some confusion at that point and this year several folks were stopped looking at their cue sheets there as well.

All in all the LBC does a great job and if anyone has constructive criticism they should email them. As a ride organizer I know we appreciate that.

ETA, we went past the traffic trying to get off the Greenfield Rd exit and off at the next one, turned around and got right off. Maybe I should'nt have shared my key move but that's just the way I roll
Old 08-18-09, 05:06 PM
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by groth
My photos of the Covered Bridge Ride, 2009, are here.

- Ed
awesome photos - and terrific captions I especially appreciated the info about the bridges, thank you for sharing all that!
Old 08-18-09, 05:47 PM
5' 19"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow....4100 cyclists.....it's amazing there aren't more accidents on that course with all of those people.....I did notice a LOT of 4-5 abreast riding.....and yelling "car back" often went ignored.....I saw quite a few "elite" looking riders on the left side of the double line......and the pacelines were numerous.....not sure what they can do about it to make this ride safer.....there are a LOT of sharp turns and the cops can't man all of them.....my heart goes out to this gentleman's family......really hits home....

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 08-18-09, 05:55 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
There is a small article here not a lot of facts other than a death was confirmed. One poster on the article said the man suffered a heart attack.

At 60, he was way too young but if I ever had to choose between dying an old man confined to a hospital bed or while I was still able to do something I loved then I know what I would choose.

If it was simply a heart attack, maybe the family can find a little comfort he knowing the man died while participating in something he enjoyed
Old 08-18-09, 06:09 PM
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I certainly had a great time on both rides! It was nice to see some old BF friends, and also meet some new ones. I was in good company riding along with Spinnaker, and Barndoor throughout the ride. Being a returnee, I feel bad for not warning you first timers to bring along some snacks, and pre-packed electrolyte powders to mix in that water. Guess it pays to be a veteran of a couple of these rides. All in all, I think the LBC did an excellent job on the event.

My thought's and prayers to all involved in the tragic accident.
Old 08-18-09, 06:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm. Someone mentioned charging more money for added support, seems like there are quite a few volunteers helping out already, food seems to be "hom,e made" ie bananas or pbj sandwiches. Ice cream donated. My question is: where does the money go? If there are 4,000 registered riders at 15 or 25 bucks a pop, that's a nice chunk of money. What is the money used for? Are there permits needed for the ride to take place? How much money worth of food is bought to support the event? Insurance?

I'm not looking to start an argument over this, just trying to get educated on what it takes to run an event like this money wise. Thanks!
Old 08-18-09, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Dean Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride Sunday

Hey great ride Grahny, it was fun biking with you again and the rest of the forum crew. Hope you didn't feel like the designated leader, but you fit that part well Sunday. I had a follow-up visit to my orthopedic doctor Monday about my arm and he asked if I have been doing any exercises. I told him I tried some road biking Sunday instead of mountain biking and he mentioned he did a half century Sunday. I smirked and told him I did the same ride, but the full century with my two week old broken radius cup. He actually called me an idiot, which I took as a compliment. He said honestly he understands...need to ride! Nice to meet some new faces, (calfee5)... Go aluminum; spend the extra cash on beer! Didn't see Grasschopper this year. Brain fart, sorry "RoadtoNowhere" - after the ride I was sitting there regaining myself and looked over at you but it didn't click until you left. Duh, sorry.
Old 08-18-09, 06:23 PM
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by Crabster
Hmmm. Someone mentioned charging more money for added support, seems like there are quite a few volunteers helping out already, food seems to be "hom,e made" ie bananas or pbj sandwiches. Ice cream donated. My question is: where does the money go? If there are 4,000 registered riders at 15 or 25 bucks a pop, that's a nice chunk of money. What is the money used for? Are there permits needed for the ride to take place? How much money worth of food is bought to support the event? Insurance?

I'm not looking to start an argument over this, just trying to get educated on what it takes to run an event like this money wise. Thanks!
A fair question. Your answer is here.
Old 08-18-09, 06:36 PM
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 672 Posts
SB!!! that is just SOOOO wrong. you're gonna get me some fresh Reese's when i come up that way for the CBM right???

wow....i almost forgot this picture....SB brought something special for me...

A promise is a promise
Old 08-18-09, 06:39 PM
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old 08-18-09, 07:03 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Well since TrekDen passing out the compliments, I guess I have to say it was a real pleasure riding with him and BarnDoor. Trekden. A great couple of guys.
Old 08-18-09, 07:38 PM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigRingRide
Hey great ride Grahny, it was fun biking with you again and the rest of the forum crew. Hope you didn't feel like the designated leader, but you fit that part well Sunday. I had a follow-up visit to my orthopedic doctor Monday about my arm and he asked if I have been doing any exercises. I told him I tried some road biking Sunday instead of mountain biking and he mentioned he did a half century Sunday. I smirked and told him I did the same ride, but the full century with my two week old broken radius cup. He actually called me an idiot, which I took as a compliment. He said honestly he understands...need to ride! Nice to meet some new faces, (calfee5)... Go aluminum; spend the extra cash on beer! Didn't see Grasschopper this year. Brain fart, sorry "RoadtoNowhere" - after the ride I was sitting there regaining myself and looked over at you but it didn't click until you left. Duh, sorry.
I still can't believe you rode the whole thing without being on the bike much all year AND with a broke arm Glad the arm wasn't worse off for it. I felt good Sunday and enjoyed being out front, no worries there.
Old 08-18-09, 10:55 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Well since TrekDen passing out the compliments, I guess I have to say it was a real pleasure riding with him and BarnDoor. Trekden. A great couple of guys.
Had I known Barndoor was there, I might have joined the ride. He's never met me without a broken rib.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.