Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Article: Known doper stealing your KOM's

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Article: Known doper stealing your KOM's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 3,370 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
One of these days someone will commit suicide because they lost a kom thingy, like kids do over facebook posts. Very odd times we live in.
I doubt it.

But, there have been questions about STRAVA related deaths.

Family sues Strava for causing cyclist's death | road.cc
Did Strava App Play A Role In Deadly Central Park Cycling Accident?
Did a Cycling App Contribute to Bike Death? -- NYMag (same central park accident as above).

Just a week ago, I was pushing for a PR on one of my segments when a dang Bald Eagle chose to roost on one of the nearby trees, and people started stopping in the middle of the path No PR that day.

I did decide to create a downhill Strava segment, but I carefully chose to do an eastbound segment which was long and straight with nothing to run into, whereas the westbound direction would have hit a reduced speed limit section, side streets, and a traffic light at the bottom of the hill.
Old 03-24-16, 06:09 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
OMG. I've noticed Thorfinn-sasquatch on so many of my local segments. Always figured something was up.

Lost a couple more KOMs today to some local fast youngster. No big deal.
Old 03-24-16, 06:35 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
One of these days someone will commit suicide because they lost a kom thingy, like kids do over facebook posts. Very odd times we live in.

Maybe not so directly-- but I think it's already happened incidentally. We had a local KOM-chaser round here, would soft-pedal most of the route and hammer hard for segments only, and racked up quite a list of KOMs-- perhaps over 100 of them, despite never having done a ride much longer than a Metric, and averaging in the 15-16mph range for most rides. That was up until January 4th of this year, when a car making a left turned in front of him and he went into the side of the car. Died at the hospital 30 minutes later. No one could ever say for sure that KOM-hunting played a part in his untimely demise, but I think to hit a car hard enough to get killed, you have to be going pretty quick.
Old 03-24-16, 06:45 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
A KOM and $4.00 will get you a latte. Don't undervalue them.
A KOM can get a kid an invite to a elite team, and invite to train with a world tour pro or be a data point for a trip to Europe with USAC.

USAC will select riders based on power profiles. For that matter, so will USRowing and 30 universities.
Old 03-24-16, 07:16 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
A KOM can get a kid an invite to a elite team, and invite to train with a world tour pro or be a data point for a trip to Europe with USAC.

USAC will select riders based on power profiles. For that matter, so will USRowing and 30 universities.
Go figure! I didn't know that. What is this world coming too? I thought you just showed up and tried out.

And you kids, Get off my lawn.

But the coffee still costs $4.00.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-24-16, 07:29 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
What are KOMs?
Old 03-24-16, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I picked up 6 PRs on Strava today. Should I flag my ride because I didn't think I was going that fast? Maybe I've been doping without me knowing it. Or maybe I've installed a motor in my bike without knowing it.

P.S. A lot of people out today (Good Friday) and I made sure I waved to them all.
Old 03-24-16, 08:54 PM

The point in a comment on the article and made again here. Many PEDs are totally legal and there may be nothing nefarious about taking them.
Most KOMs on anything but a significant hill involve drafting. If a 230# rider with a big enough gear drinks enough first, I expect they can get many downhill KOMs.

I really would like to see the self reported situations I posted above about, but that someone is doping and getting KOMs is fine.
Old 03-24-16, 08:54 PM
Non omnino gravis

Six? What's six? Take a ride on a route you've never taken before, watch the PRs rack up. Not a good one unless you're at least into the 20s.
Old 03-24-16, 09:09 PM

My child does this one. I really don't like it and wish Strava would remove these.
Is there a way to flag them as dangerous as a parent of a minor?
This is a residential street with a 25mph speed limit and houses and driveways on both sides.
Not cool to see this kind of speed on this kind of road.
https://www.strava.com/segments/2288279?filter=overall

I flagged it. I must be that guy.

Last edited by Doge; 03-24-16 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 3,370 Posts
My child does this one. I really don't like it and wish Strava would remove these.
Is there a way to flag them as dangerous as a parent of a minor?
This is a residential street with a 25mph speed limit and houses and driveways on both sides.
Not cool to see this kind of speed on this kind of road.
https://www.strava.com/segments/2288279?filter=overall

I flagged it. I must be that guy.
Wow,
Both the top two riders (Bullard & Willett) hit a stop sign at Avenida Salvador & Avenida Presidio at over 30 MPH.
Is that another stop at Calle Miguel that they're blowing through at over 40 mph?

FLAG!!! The segment should be removed.

As I mentioned, I did define a downhill segment, very different from yours.
https://www.strava.com/segments/10647719

55 MPH speed zone, 4 lanes (and wide shoulder).
No corners.
No stop signs.
No houses
Good Visibility
Ended quite a bit before a traffic light.

I suppose there are a couple of flat sections that I do pound hard on (with vigilance). But, there are also several others that I won't touch.
Old 03-25-16, 04:22 AM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Six? What's six? Take a ride on a route you've never taken before, watch the PRs rack up. Not a good one unless you're at least into the 20s.
Not to be a strava nitpicker, but I'm pretty sure you don't see PRs unless you've done a particular route/segment 3 or more times.
Old 03-25-16, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ah yes, I know this guy's Strava name well as he holds the KOM on virtually every segment I ride.
Old 03-25-16, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Just another reason to not give a crap of Strava KOM's.
Aren't they KOOP's in Florida?
Old 03-25-16, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts

A KOM can get you a shoe deal, a big house, a supermodel, fancy cars, a bunch of yes men, a Swiss bank account. But none of these things can get you a KOM.
Old 03-25-16, 10:02 AM
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Not to be a strava nitpicker, but I'm pretty sure you don't see PRs unless you've done a particular route/segment 3 or more times.

Looking through old routes, I know for certain I've gotten PRs on segments ridden only twice, and if it's in the top 10, I've gotten it for a single pass. The riding a segment multiple times thing is absolute garbage, though. All it does is make for virtually no PRs on one day, and 40+ on another.
Old 03-25-16, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts

Old 03-25-16, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Wow,
Both the top two riders (Bullard & Willett) hit a stop sign at Avenida Salvador & Avenida Presidio at over 30 MPH.
Is that another stop at Calle Miguel that they're blowing through at over 40 mph?

FLAG!!! The segment should be removed.
I think 1-2 stop sign were blown and other than disregard for the law, one has a great view of traffic and both are T-like, not 4 way. This is not the section I thought (the other side is worse), and this side is more clear from driveways, but there are a number of side streets where the car could blow the SS. The bottom left turn I hit the deck about 1984 and spent 5 hours in surgery on my head. That drastically affected my aggressiveness for the rest of my life.

Yea - yours looks safer. But even the term KOM means mountain - or going up. Ah well, I did cancel my premium membership my kid uses. This is getting too out of hand. We have 3 more months until he does something safe by being in the military, this cycling is way too dangerous.
Old 03-25-16, 10:22 AM

I would prefer there was the opportunity to race for real, but not everyone shows up. Most the racers do Strava - and race.
Below was both. It was a charity ride with a pile of ex-pros (some 25 or so TdF starts between them) where there was a KOM base on Strava upload with a huge trophy - Nosco Hammer Award. I was the idiot on the scooter.
https://vimeo.com/111348150
Old 03-25-16, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
reminds me of this...

The Huck
You’re nearly at the top of Hell’s Gate Hill. You can see the big oak at the summit. You also see that you’re seconds from a PR and finally beating your nemesis—that accountant in the next town who rides a Dogma F8. You untwist your Garmin and huck it up the hill. If you’ve got a good arm—and aim—the record is yours.
Old 03-25-16, 02:26 PM

There is a technique to group KOMs. Start at the back, finish at the front. When the supermen are sitting at the back at the bottom, you know what they are going for.
Old 03-25-16, 05:58 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Just a week ago, I was pushing for a PR on one of my segments when a dang Bald Eagle chose to roost on one of the nearby trees, and people started stopping in the middle of the path No PR that day.
Real life sucks, doesn't it?
Old 03-26-16, 05:58 AM
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
What I wanna know is how the f*ck that guy got all those instagram photos on every single ride? I mean, does he have an armada of photographers standing by? The only photos I can get on rides are lame selfies.
Old 03-27-16, 06:10 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you look at the top riders in many categories their profile doesn't show anywhere near the supposed 4-6,000 km they show for the month. Its not in their rides and not in their totals. At least the number 13 guy is doing over a century everyday which is itself suspicious to me. I'd think even pros need a rest day between centuries and that still is only a bit over 3000 km per month doing one daily. It can be interesting to get a rough comparison towhat other people are doing but many of the leading spots are glitches, hackers, dopers or motors. I wonder if some accounts are shared too like some people do with video games.
Old 03-27-16, 07:10 AM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
What I wanna know is how the f*ck that guy got all those instagram photos on every single ride? I mean, does he have an armada of photographers standing by? The only photos I can get on rides are lame selfies.
Looks like instagram is one of the main marketing tools for their cycling clothing company, so I'm sure he either has a buddy riding with him with a DSLR slung over his shoulder, or a scooter following him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.