Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Cycling tax"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3983 Post(s)
Liked 7,434 Times in 2,990 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
No, I have very specifically avoided turning this thread political.
Short memory?

... No doubt made from the Walmart owned China factory.

... Products made in China are made under conditions that would be considered slave labor in this country today ...
Old 04-09-23, 09:41 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10501 Post(s)
Liked 12,034 Times in 6,163 Posts

My nearest dedicated bike shop is over 50 miles away.
Right. So you drew the conclusion that Blackburn was a Walmart "House Brand" based solely on seeing them dominate the bike kit section at Walmart. But you also apparently shop online from Jenson USA (Me too. That's where I got my BIanchi), and if you search "Blackburn" on there, you'll see LOTS of Blackburn products.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-09-23, 10:08 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3518 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Right. So you drew the conclusion that Blackburn was a Walmart "House Brand" based solely on seeing them dominate the bike kit section at Walmart. But you also apparently shop online from Jenson USA.
I did a little comparison between "big box" Walmart and "specialty cycling" Colorado Cycling sites. Blackburn products are on both sites, and the prices seem to be identical (so much for Walmart being the low cost supplier).

There are some diferences. Walmart has a larger selection (it looks like they list the whole darn Blackburn catalog), but they only stock the cheaper products in store. Colorado Cyclist doesn't offer the cheap stuff. Different product selection for a different customer. Makes sense.

Im guessing that Walmart does drop-ship orders for stuff they don't keep in stock. That's a pretty common practice for online stores.

Old 04-09-23, 10:18 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I did a little comparison between "big box" Walmart and "specialty cycling" Colorado Cycling sites. Blackburn products are on both sites, and the prices seem to be identical (so much for Walmart being the low cost supplier).

There are some diferences. Walmart has a larger selection (it looks like they list the whole darn Blackburn catalog), but they only stock the cheaper products in store. Colorado Cyclist doesn't offer the cheap stuff. Different product selection for a different customer. Makes sense.

Im guessing that Walmart does drop-ship orders for stuff they don't keep in stock. That's a pretty common practice for online stores.
Yeah, that makes sense. I don't think you're going to see your local Cat 1s and 2s shopping for bike stuff at Walmart, nor the guy who's just "getting into biking" on the pedway shopping at Colorado Cyclist.

Old 04-09-23, 10:25 AM

I think your comparison shopping doesn't reveal anything useful. The fact that Walmart shows the "entire" Blackburn catalog is irrelevant -- they do that with a lot of products that they will never sell. For instance, they show nearly 500 Campagnolo products on their website, including individual bolts, brake levers, spokes, springs, etc. They don't stock any of that stuff and they will never sell any of it. It's just taking up space on a Walmart hard drive.
Old 04-09-23, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 307 Posts
Right. So you drew the conclusion that Blackburn was a Walmart "House Brand" based solely on seeing them dominate the bike kit section at Walmart. But you also apparently shop online from Jenson USA (Me too. That's where I got my BIanchi), and if you search "Blackburn" on there, you'll see LOTS of Blackburn products.
If I search a website, I tend to search items, not brands.
Old 04-09-23, 10:56 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,969 Posts
I don’t know about a ‘cycling tax’ but I regularly pay the ‘stupid tax’. That’s when I cut a corner, buy something cheap, or make a boneheaded move and it bites me in the butt.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-09-23, 11:05 AM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think your comparison shopping doesn't reveal anything useful. The fact that Walmart shows the "entire" Blackburn catalog is irrelevant -- they do that with a lot of products that they will never sell.
Um, it reveals to me that Walmart offers a lot of products that they don't stock, and that the stuff they do stock identifies the type of customer they market to. It also suggests that ordering from Walmart may include a delay, as they will likely do a drop ship order. I have ordered items from Walmart when I couldn't find them elsewhere (or when they had a very good price), and while it took a while to get them, they did arrive.

These facts might elicit a "yeah duh" from you, but it was not obvious to me.

BTW, stating that Walmart will never sell a certain item is opinion. You can't know that. Walmart must have a business reason for listing all that stuff.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-09-23, 11:14 AM

BTW, stating that Walmart will never sell a certain item is opinion. You can't know that. Walmart must have a business reason for listing all that stuff.
Really? You think there's a business reason for listing the following?

1. Square taper Campy Chorus bottom bracket with Italian threads.

2. 14 tooth Campy cog for 11 speed cassette.

3. 2.4mm "Q" spacer for 10 speed Campy cassette.

4. Campy ultra-shift right thumb button.

The list goes on and on. There is no business reason for listing these items -- it's just Walmart IT workers run amok.
Old 04-09-23, 11:24 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

If I search a website, I tend to search items, not brands.
But a 5 second search would have answered the question of whether Blackburn was some Walmart house brand.

Anyway, yeah - what you're experiencing is what happens in every sport as you get deeper into it - the "stuff" gets more expensive as it gets more specialized. Also, a quick search on google, and I found an old thread here on BF that says you can get 130 psi in a 23mm tire from a 16g cartridge, so a 12g should get you 97 psi, which is certainly good enough.

Old 04-09-23, 11:30 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by rsbob
I don’t know about a ‘cycling tax’ but I regularly pay the ‘stupid tax’. That’s when I cut a corner, buy something cheap, or make a boneheaded move and it bites me in the butt.
Then there's what we call the "A**hole Tax", or, why you shouldn't yell at a car mechanic while your car is still in the shop.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-09-23, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked 11,144 Times in 4,755 Posts
I think your comparison shopping doesn't reveal anything useful. The fact that Walmart shows the "entire" Blackburn catalog is irrelevant -- they do that with a lot of products that they will never sell. For instance, they show nearly 500 Campagnolo products on their website, including individual bolts, brake levers, spokes, springs, etc. They don't stock any of that stuff and they will never sell any of it. It's just taking up space on a Walmart hard drive.
I guess by some people’s logic, that makes Campagnolo a Walmart house brand.
Old 04-09-23, 11:41 AM
climber has-been

There is no business reason for listing these items -- it's just Walmart IT workers run amok.
I'm impressed that you have such insight into Walmart's business decisions over its online store.

Or are you just stating opinion?

Old 04-09-23, 11:53 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Oh a scolding on the cold hard facts can be so infuriating. Moral to the story: Shop Amazon first, unless you have ethical or religious reasons not to.
kinda apples to oranges, buying a bulk pack of 50 cartridges and comparing the unit price to a 5-pack, isn't it?
Old 04-09-23, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
kinda apples to oranges, buying a bulk pack of 50 cartridges and comparing the unit price to a 5-pack, isn't it?
The OP stated that she wished she’d bought fifty of them at that price.
Old 04-09-23, 12:45 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,969 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Let’s see if we can find a useless point of contention and exploit it.

Old 04-09-23, 02:20 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That is our way, hallowed by time and long use.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-09-23, 02:56 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
I was refuting the claim made above that retailers competing to buy scarce resources is not “economic competition”.

A easy way to refute that was by citing some Econ 101.

Allow me to state this observation:

There is a common notion that if consumer prices are high, it must be because suppliers are raking in huge profits. While there is some evidence of that in some categories, I don’t see a lot of profit being made in bikes. Especially not at retail, which has never been a way to big profits, and is only worse now.

It was always fun to stand silently while a customer berated me about how our prices were ridiculous, how we were ripping people off, how we had no shame, etc., while I was wondering if I was going to have enough money at the end of the month to pay the landlord.
I think a better description of what's happened in the past couple decades is that LBS can no longer mark up their parts and accessories because they are competing with online retail.

To the extent that prices are getting too high in a particular area, I think the issue is too little competition, not too much. Shimano has something very close to monopoly power in derraileurs and shifters. I think there may be beginning a dramatic shift away from that, however, with Microshift, et al. taking some of the low end away and SRAM competing at the high.
Old 04-09-23, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18490 Post(s)
Liked 15,788 Times in 7,414 Posts
Smashing success for the OP.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-09-23, 03:01 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

That is our way, hallowed by time and long use.
I buy pointless quibbles in bulk.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-09-23, 03:08 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Really? You think there's a business reason for listing the following?

1. Square taper Campy Chorus bottom bracket with Italian threads.

2. 14 tooth Campy cog for 11 speed cassette.

3. 2.4mm "Q" spacer for 10 speed Campy cassette.

4. Campy ultra-shift right thumb button.

The list goes on and on. There is no business reason for listing these items -- it's just Walmart IT workers run amok.
Wrong. Most of those are actually being sold by other vendors through the Wal-Mart website. Amazon does this as well. Wal-Mart is trying to compete with Amazon for having a one site to buy everything system.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-09-23 at 05:43 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-09-23, 03:17 PM
climber has-been

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think a better description of what's happened in the past couple decades is that LBS can no longer mark up their parts and accessories because they are competing with online retail.
I think you're right, price competition from online is probably the biggest thing squeezing LBS operators. Followed closely by the cost of retail commercial property. In this area, the rental prices for commercial property are nuts.

Old 04-09-23, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 307 Posts
But a 5 second search would have answered the question of whether Blackburn was some Walmart house brand.

Anyway, yeah - what you're experiencing is what happens in every sport as you get deeper into it - the "stuff" gets more expensive as it gets more specialized. Also, a quick search on google, and I found an old thread here on BF that says you can get 130 psi in a 23mm tire from a 16g cartridge, so a 12g should get you 97 psi, which is certainly good enough.
Regardless of whether Blackburn is owned by Walmart, they are the de facto house brand now. Walmart has began to stock exclusively Blackburn items. Competing buying options are gone, so Walmart may not own the brand, but if Blackburn makes that item, you won't find a competitor at Wally World now.

But to your point, I appreciate you actually engaging in the discussion regarding 12g v. 16g cartridges. I have wondered what they will inflate to, but I don't have a gauge that reads off a Presta valve. At home, I run my garage compressor up to the pressure I want to put in my tires, typically between 90-100psi, and shut it off. That's how I gauge it at home. Out on the road, I hit it with the CO2 inflator and hope that's enough.

I did have a flat a couple days ago and I had 16g cartridges in my tool bag. I hit at 23c tire with a 16g and it was so hard it scared me. I was worried the tube might explode if I had even a small impact.
I see a regular cast of characters that like to take a single point, that may or may not even be the crux of the situation, and focus on it to the exclusion of any and all related issues.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You presume to know what motivated me to post this thread.
Old 04-09-23, 03:42 PM
Expired Member

Quoted: 3722 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,829 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yep.
Old 04-09-23, 04:03 PM

I see a regular cast of characters that like to take a single point, that may or may not even be the crux of the situation, and focus on it to the exclusion of any and all related issues.
Your claim that Blackburn is the “house brand“ of Walmart has been refuted to death, so I won’t even address that part of your post. In fact, you apparently don’t understand what “house brand“ even means. So that’s problematic.

As for the other part: your initial post asked if there is a special “tax,” or surcharge, applied to products that happen to be used by cyclists – just because we’re cyclists. The two examples you gave have also been soundly refuted. Without those, you don’t really have a “crux” or central point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.