Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Best Frame Ever

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 08:35 PM
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
If you're counting materials as well something custom Ti or carbon from moots or calfee.

Steel, has to be custom richard sachs. The godfather of custom frames.
What you can't buy is the time you'll be waiting for a frameset from him. That's if you manage to get a spot on his list.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 03-07-18, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
There was a very nice used Waterford fixed gear on ebay a few month ago. The price seemed very reasonable - no longer listed so I assume it was sold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fixed_gear-l1600.jpg (311.1 KB, 213 views)
Old 03-07-18, 09:55 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 4,082 Times in 2,720 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
If you're counting materials as well something custom Ti or carbon from moots or calfee.

Steel, has to be custom richard sachs. The godfather of custom frames.
What you can't buy is the time you'll be waiting for a frameset from him. That's if you manage to get a spot on his list.
If he is the Godfather then what about Albert Eisetraut? and of course Oscar Waystn who taught Al? Granted I will admit Richie is still alive where as Albert and Oscar have long since passed. ATMO!
Old 03-07-18, 10:29 PM
THE STUFFED

If he is the Godfather then what about Albert Eisetraut? and of course Oscar Waystn who taught Al? Granted I will admit Richie is still alive where as Albert and Oscar have long since passed. ATMO!
It's a title that gets passed on!

Old 03-07-18, 10:33 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
How about Firefly?

They do some IGH and eccentric bottom bracket stuff, mostly for utility bikes and not strictly fixed gear road or track bikes but man, those things are beautiful.

-Tim-
Old 03-07-18, 11:03 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 432 Posts
Nobilette

Nobilette Cycles

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-07-18, 11:07 PM
Clevelander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Nobilette
That Nobilette 650 Randonneur build...
Old 03-08-18, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
^That Waterford is pretty.
Old 03-08-18, 10:06 AM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
This guy is doing some original stuff.

Half of this lug is a lug, on the down tube, but the other half vanishes into the head tube in a filet. And the fork crown and blades are blended to become one single piece.

Don't need to say much about this puppy...

or this one either....

Old 03-08-18, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The folks at Victoire in France would build you a very expensive frame for suuuurre: https://www.victoire-cycles.com/en/o...re-virage.html

Old 03-08-18, 12:14 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by TimothyH
How about Firefly?

They do some IGH and eccentric bottom bracket stuff, mostly for utility bikes and not strictly fixed gear road or track bikes but man, those things are beautiful.

-Tim-
I bet the Firefly folks would make a fixed gear road bike. I am so desperate for one of their bikes but alas I want an all-road bike rather than a fixed gear though I would take a fixed gear if possible.
Old 03-08-18, 12:29 PM

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 694 Posts
I bet the Firefly folks would make a fixed gear road bike. I am so desperate for one of their bikes but alas I want an all-road bike rather than a fixed gear though I would take a fixed gear if possible.
Why not get an all-road fixed-gear? Around here, at least, the BEST fixed-gear rides are all-road, taking in modern pavement, bumpy chipseal, hardpacked dirt and gravel roads.
Old 03-08-18, 12:55 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Why not get an all-road fixed-gear? Around here, at least, the BEST fixed-gear rides are all-road, taking in modern pavement, bumpy chipseal, hardpacked dirt and gravel roads.
I would but I want to do a geared bike with Di2 and more clearance and thru axles and finding fixed hubs that are 142x12 thru axle compatible is tough. I have a Cinelli Mash Work frame that is SS/FG with 700x38 tires that can handle that task.
Old 03-08-18, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Pardon my lack of knowledge... What separates an all-road fixed gear from the rest of the pack? The riding conditions you mentioned sound like my ideal ride. So I want to make sure I pursue the ideal bike.
Old 03-08-18, 01:54 PM
THE STUFFED

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Don't need to say much about this puppy...

One of my favorite pictures from the site. Along with this one:

I'd pair those 2 to a custom build

Old 03-08-18, 02:05 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
One of my favorite pictures from the site. Along with this one:

I'd pair those 2 to a custom build
Actually, I'm not that big on lugs. Especially the really ornate ones. Just not my bag, too fancy. But I absolutely admire the imagination and originality of his tweaks. And you gotta salute that level of craftsmanship and attention to detail. That seamless fork top is gorgeous.
Old 03-08-18, 03:18 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by rEVOLVED
Pardon my lack of knowledge... What separates an all-road fixed gear from the rest of the pack? The riding conditions you mentioned sound like my ideal ride. So I want to make sure I pursue the ideal bike.
Clearance for wide(r) tires is most if not all of the difference.

You can get into type of brakes and then into how the cables or hoses route and so forth, comfort/endurance vs race geometry and a whole bunch of other details. At the end of the day however, gravel and dirt require tires wider than 28's to be really enjoyable.

-Tim-
Old 03-08-18, 04:19 PM
Veteran Racer

For those of you who may be interested, I’ve uploaded some current pics of my 1983 Mark Nobilette custom road racing frameset with its recently updated cockpit to make it into a comfortable touring bike. The paint was redone by CyclArt of California, and I never bothered to get new decals from Mark.

https://m.imgur.com/a/FSNC5

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-08-18, 06:32 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
For those of you who may be interested, I’ve uploaded some current pics of my 1983 Mark Nobilette custom road racing frameset with its recently updated cockpit to make it into a comfortable touring bike. The paint was redone by CyclArt of California, and I never bothered to get new decals from Mark.

https://m.imgur.com/a/FSNC5
That bike rules.
Old 03-08-18, 08:47 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
Question - if you are going for an ideal road fix gear, why make flipping wheels harder than it needs to be? Track ends belong on the track. Front and down opening dropouts rule. Anybody not willing to make a road fix gear frame without doesn't get my dollars. I don't care how nice the rest is.

Ben
Old 03-08-18, 09:29 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Question - if you are going for an ideal road fix gear, why make flipping wheels harder than it needs to be? Track ends belong on the track. Front and down opening dropouts rule. Anybody not willing to make a road fix gear frame without doesn't get my dollars. I don't care how nice the rest is.

Ben
While I don't wholly disagree, I find myself never flipping my wheels except in the shop so it really doesn't bother me so much. I guess on some longer rides I would do it more but at that point I wouldn't mind a nice little break to sit down and flip over a wheel and maybe eat and drink something.
Old 03-08-18, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
I'm still new to bikes in general, and more so to fixed gears. Good thing they are simpler than the AL geared road bike I started on. Much shallower learning curve so far. Still, I have only just recently heard of the "front and down" dropouts. Can you clear this up for me? Certain dropouts, like on a standard new road bike, which I believe are normally called "vertical" aren't suited for fixed gear, right? Or are those the same "front and out" ones you're speaking of?

And when you say flipping wheels, do you mean using a rear hub that has two different cogs or freewheels, or is there another reason to flip the wheel that I don't know about?

Last edited by rEVOLVED; 03-08-18 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-08-18, 10:35 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by rEVOLVED
I'm still new to bikes in general, and more so to fixed gears. Good thing they are simpler than the AL geared road bike I started on. Much shallower learning curve so far. Still, I have only just recently heard of the "front and down" dropouts. Can you clear this up for me? Certain dropouts, like on a standard new road bike, which I believe are normally called "vertical" aren't suited for fixed gear, right? Or are those the same "front and out" ones you're speaking of?
What @79pmooney is referring to are old style road dropouts, which face forward and slope down slightly to match the angle of the rear brake mounting bolt, so the brake pads don’t need to be readjusted when the wheel is moved in the dropout. They were replaced in the 1980s with vertical dropouts, because there was no need with a derailleur to move the wheel to adjust chain tension and vertical dropouts secured the wheel much better. You will still see these semi-horizontal dropouts on some multi-purpose frames the are used both as multi-speed and single speed. My Salsa Casseroll is set up that way. Compared to track dropouts, they also have the advantage of making wheel removal much easier with a full fender. So, if you pay to have a custom built frame, then you might as well have the builder use them instead of track dropouts if you intend on having a rear brake and/or a rear fender. Otherwise, track dropouts work just as well.

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 03-08-18 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 10:50 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
No one ever actually flips their wheel on the road. If you were going to have a dedicated SS road frame custom built, then yeah you'd probably want to get forward facing dropouts. However, no one ever gets custom built dedicated SS road frames built either.
Old 03-08-18, 11:45 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by seau grateau
If you were going to have a dedicated SS road frame custom built, then yeah you'd probably want to get forward facing dropouts. However, no one ever gets custom built dedicated SS road frames built either.
Well, not unless they are named @79pmooney

Originally Posted by Dcv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.