Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Forgot how good CO2 is

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Forgot how good CO2 is

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 05:53 PM

Bikes: CAAD10, Trek 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
The fact that you are sick of it doesn't make it wrong. CO2 cartridges have to be manufactured, like everything else. And the fact we waste energy in other ways doesn't legitimise wasting more.

My lezyne pump is rated to 160lbs. Getting 100 lbs into a tube isn't perticularly hard work. It isn't as vulnerable to operator error, and it never runs out of gas. Unless you carry lots of cartridges CO2 is inherently less reliable, as well as wasteful.
Thanks for the total BS. I had a good laugh.
Old 06-23-13, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
I can suffer pretty bad on the bike too, but that's fun.

Pumping a tire to 100psi with a hand pump in the middle of a ride sucks. If anybody stops and waits for you , it sucks even more.

If hand pumps really werent' that big a deal, people would just use them at home instead of buying a floor pump. Alas, they suck compared to floor pumps (and CO2).
I'll confess, I've had the new lezyne pump sitting on a shelf for the last 4 months. I've yet to take it with me on a ride but I do plan to

I don't like riders waiting for me unless it's at the start of a ride. I don't mind riding home on my own.
Old 06-23-13, 06:55 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
Perfect.
Who the **** said anything about reasons for using CO2 are wrong?!
And I doubt anyone has gotten their tire to 100 psi with a mini or frame pump.
I know I'm gonna get testimonials to the contrary, but unless I see it, I aint buying.
Really? Just on the last page people were talking about CO2 being bad for the environment and criticizing people for using it.
Old 06-23-13, 09:26 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
This thread is so "41". Trying to change minds that don't know how to change. CO2 is a sensible, compact, fast, convenient and reliable way to inflate tires when a fully functional floor pump is not available. If you agree, I congratulate you on your good common sense. If you disagree, no problem. I congratulate you on your fortitude and persistence. You're the one sweating out the alternatives. More power to you. Now, is everybody happy? I do wonder this, however: If you are committed to a manual pump for on-road tire changes, why not also be committed to a quality full size frame mountable pump that was really designed to do the job like a Zefal? Pump the tire if you must, but at least do it right. As far as the environment is concerned...you have to be kidding. In what universe would a well managed, cradle-to-grave supply and recycle chain for CO2 cartridges not compare favorably with human effort to pump up a tire? And if not, how significantly?
Old 06-23-13, 09:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kv501
I keep my house at 71 in the summer, drive a pickup 14 miles round trip to work everyday, and have a huge TV.

And I use CO2.
Yeah boy! +F'ing 1.
Old 06-23-13, 09:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan

And what do people do with their empty cartridges? Leave them on the side of the road?
You put it back in your bag and take it home or throw it in someone's recycle barrel.
Old 06-23-13, 09:56 PM
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by blarnie
You put it back in your bag and take it home or throw it in someone's recycle barrel.
I missed that question. Yeah, it goes in a jersey pocket (back in the bag means I forget I used it and don't replace it) and, upon getting home, is put in the recycle bag. No different from any other consumable with a package.
Old 06-23-13, 11:34 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I have used CO2 and mini pumps for many years. In all honesty, I prefer the mini pump. It's better for helping find holes, better for getting things seated just perfectly, better for rounding out the tire, and it weighs the same as a chuck and a couple carts while taking less space by being attached to my bottle.

CO2 is fun, but I see it as a backup to the pump. Anyone who can't get 100psi in about 2 minutes either has a crap pump or problems with their arms. When you consider the total time involved in changing a tire plus some aspects of that process that can be faster with a pump, time savings are minimal and it's just a matter of personal preference.
Old 06-24-13, 12:58 AM
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Really? Just on the last page people were talking about CO2 being bad for the environment and criticizing people for using it.
I agree with what you wrote.
And think it was silly for chasm54 to suggest that you implied it was "wrong" not to use CO2 cartridges.
And then a separate thought about the ability of a frame or mini pump to 100 psi.
Sorry for being so unclear.

::Edit::
Anyone who claims (s)he can get 100 psi with a mini pump is either lying or delusional.
Old 06-24-13, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by blarnie
No me. I am a pump person like banerjek. Getting 100psi is down to the pump. The narrower the bore, the higher the pressure achievable.

But I know it's so hard for many cyclists to dial it up to 400W with their biceps...
Old 06-24-13, 06:39 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I have used CO2 and mini pumps for many years. In all honesty, I prefer the mini pump. It's better for helping find holes, better for getting things seated just perfectly, better for rounding out the tire, and it weighs the same as a chuck and a couple carts while taking less space by being attached to my bottle.

CO2 is fun, but I see it as a backup to the pump. Anyone who can't get 100psi in about 2 minutes either has a crap pump or problems with their arms. When you consider the total time involved in changing a tire plus some aspects of that process that can be faster with a pump, time savings are minimal and it's just a matter of personal preference.
Why would you be finding holes on the road? That is an activity best saved for back at home later after the ride. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that hand pumps are much harder on the rubber around the valve stem. They can more easily lead to torn tubes especially when you get tired at you near the psi goal. When that happens you tend to lose form and wiggle the pump all over the place. The strain can easily tear the tube.
Old 06-24-13, 06:42 AM
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
I agree with what you wrote.
And think it was silly for chasm54 to suggest that you implied it was "wrong" not to use CO2 cartridges.
And then a separate thought about the ability of a frame or mini pump to 100 psi.
Sorry for being so unclear.

::Edit::
Anyone who claims (s)he can get 100 psi with a mini pump is either lying or delusional.
Ah, sorry, the way you quoted me made you think you were challenging my point instead of agreeing to it.
Old 06-24-13, 06:54 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have had a very bad experience with CO² cartridges.
I personally don't have any, but I borrowed a bike from a teammate while doing the Belgian championship relay triathlon.
In the bike leg, about a kilometer in, we suddenly all heard a loud "PSSSSHHHHH".
We all stopped immediately and were all asking ourselves: "Who the **** flatted out like that?" (testosterone made us curse you see)
After some checking we realised nobody had in fact flatted out and we rode on.
It was after the race that we investigated this issue and we found out that a CO² cartridge inside the toolkit of my bike had "asploded" like that.
I didn't even know it was there ... as it wasn't my bike nor my toolkit.
Old 06-24-13, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Why would you be finding holes on the road? That is an activity best saved for back at home later after the ride. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that hand pumps are much harder on the rubber around the valve stem. They can more easily lead to torn tubes especially when I get tired at my near the psi goal. When that happens I tend to lose form and wiggle the pump all over the place. The strain can easily tear the tube.
Fixed it for you.
Old 06-24-13, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I have had a very bad experience with CO² cartridges.
I personally don't have any, but I borrowed a bike from a teammate while doing the Belgian championship relay triathlon.
In the bike leg, about a kilometer in, we suddenly all heard a loud "PSSSSHHHHH".
We all stopped immediately and were all asking ourselves: "Who the **** flatted out like that?" (testosterone made us curse you see)
After some checking we realised nobody had in fact flatted out and we rode on.
It was after the race that we investigated this issue and we found out that a CO² cartridge inside the toolkit of my bike had "asploded" like that.
I didn't even know it was there ... as it wasn't my bike nor my toolkit.
You have carbon fibre gas cartridges over there? Cool!
Old 06-24-13, 07:33 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Why ride a bike and say to yourself that you are making yourself more healthy and lessening carbon emissions to the environment while throwing away spent CO2 cartridges???
Yeah, but think of all the C02 that's sequestered in CO2 cartridges sitting in saddlebags, and tool kits. The CO2 to fill all those cartridges has to come from somewhere.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-24-13, 07:35 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
You have carbon fibre gas cartridges over there? Cool!
There's carbon inside the cartridges so I guess that counts.
Old 06-24-13, 07:37 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why would you be finding holes on the road? That is an activity best saved for back at home later after the ride. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that hand pumps are much harder on the rubber around the valve stem. They can more easily lead to torn tubes especially when you get tired at you near the psi goal. When that happens you tend to lose form and wiggle the pump all over the place. The strain can easily tear the tube.
I try to find the hole then check the tire at that location to make sure I got whatever caused the flat out of the tire.

When i pump the tire I brace it against my shoe so it doesn't wiggle.
Old 06-24-13, 07:40 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Yeah, but think of all the C02 that's sequestered in CO2 cartridges sitting in saddlebags, and tool kits. The CO2 to fill all those cartridges has to come from somewhere.
Hahaha Good one!
Old 06-24-13, 08:03 AM
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
There's carbon inside the cartridges so I guess that counts.
But there's carbon in me too! And you! And everyone else! We're all just ticking time bombs waiting to asplode!
Old 06-24-13, 08:37 AM
It do, but it don't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got a flat this morning (dangit). glad i had my CO2. saved me a few mosquito bites if nothing else.
Old 06-24-13, 09:27 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bah humbug
but there's carbon in me too! And you! And everyone else! We're all just ticking time bombs waiting to asplode!
panic mode!!!
Old 06-24-13, 09:51 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
If you pull out a mini pump on a group ride you deserve to be LFD.
I remember getting a flat on a group ride a while back... get the new tube and give it a few pumps with my mini pump to give it some shape before I put it in the tire. I could sense the anxiety in the rest of the group as they saw how pathetic my mini pump was; I'm sure they were trying to figure out how many thousands of strokes it would take.

Little did they know, it was one of those convertible pumps (probably why it's such a horrible pump), so after getting the tire mounted, I unscrew the handle, pop a CO2 cartridge in there and fill the tire in a couple of seconds while the group gasps, astounded at my mechanical skill. Or maybe the gasp was really a sigh of relief that they weren't going to have to sit around on a humid morning for ten minutes while I struggled with a dinky pump.

FWIW, I use the cheap 12g unthreaded cartridges and they are good enuf for me.
Old 06-24-13, 10:21 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
To help verify the location of all debris in the tire.

Some punctures are tiny enough that it won't be visually obvious (especially in dark and/or rain). Likewise, there are situations where the debris could be in the rubber in such a way that the tire has to be pressurized for it to be exposed enough to stick out and penetrate the tube. You could also have multiple punctures and the pump makes it easier to figure out where hidden debris might be.

The solution to tube tearing is a pump with a hose. The Lezyne mini and Road Morphs mentioned on pump threads both have hoses so you won't ever make this mistake. The Road Morph is probably larger than most road cyclists would like, but pumping up to 100psi with the Lezyne really is no big deal. The hose is important. I would not use a pump without a hose specifically because you are likely to tear off a valve stem by mistake someday. I've seen others do it. It's pretty funny -- so long as it happens to them

You'll never lose form with a pump. My method is simple:
  1. Mount tire on rim
  2. Inflate tube just enough to give it a bit of shape
  3. Insert tube under tire
  4. Inflate to about 20 lbs
  5. Squeeze all the way around making sure tire is fully seated and tube is in proper position
  6. Spin to check balance
  7. Increase pressure to 40 or 50 lbs, recheck seating and spin for balance
  8. Inflate to full pressure and conduct final balance test
It looks like a lot of steps, but it takes me about 4 minutes from pulling over on the side of the road to continuing rolling on my way including futzing with gear.

Until recently, I used to get dozens of flats per year due to mileage and road conditions. In many years of riding, I have zero torn tubes, zero pinch flats, zero unbalanced tires, and only one or two instances where I somehow didn't remove all the debris.

If you want to save time, the quickest way to go is to use the mini pump for all steps up to inflating to 20lbs and using CO2 for finishing the rest of the inflation since that will take 2-3 seconds.
Old 06-24-13, 11:42 AM
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Ah, sorry, the way you quoted me made you think you were challenging my point instead of agreeing to it.

I don't see why there's such a fuss over the use of CO2.
For the overwhelming majority of my time "seriously" riding (25 yrs), I've used a frame pump, then a mini-pump.
And for most of the time it was good enough. But when I broke the valve stem on my one remaining 'tube (lucky my companion had a spare & CO2 cartridge), I knew I'd be using CO2 from then on. And in the last few years, luckily I've only had to use a cartridge (save the time described above) once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.