Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 02:15 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
should be interesting to read comments...

Handbuilt with Columbus Zona tubes. Ultegra shifting, Praxis Zayante crank, and Ritchey cockpit.
That 32mm stack of spacers is just reality, even though its built to fit me.
I rarely find tall bikes to be hot and this is no exception. It's nice, but yeah.... not hot. Not a fan of the saddle, either, and I bet that those Archetypes don't look as good any more (I built a wheelset with them, too - really liked the rims, but the brake track wear bugged me. Now that I'm on discs, I'll probably do a Hydra build some time).

And is that Fourmile Creek?!
Old 09-12-18, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts

Handbuilt with Columbus Zona tubes. Ultegra shifting, Praxis Zayante crank, and Ritchey cockpit.
Nice bike.
Saddle and spacers detract from the ever-subjective "hot" points.
Black saddle would make a big difference. Or white saddle/bar tape. I think that would be better.
Beautiful bike.
Old 09-12-18, 02:40 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I rarely find tall bikes to be hot and this is no exception. It's nice, but yeah.... not hot. Not a fan of the saddle, either, and I bet that those Archetypes don't look as good any more (I built a wheelset with them, too - really liked the rims, but the brake track wear bugged me. Now that I'm on discs, I'll probably do a Hydra build some time).

And is that Fourmile Creek?!
Yeah- tall bikes arent usually beauties. A 54-56cm frame is what I usually think is about perfect when it comes to having the 'right' look.
The Archetype rims are in great condition- i have em on my gravel bike too and the track wear hasnt been an issue. Ive read its a complaint, like you mention.

As for 4mi Creek...is that some good EXIF searching on your part or do you actually know it?
Old 09-12-18, 02:53 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yeah- tall bikes arent usually beauties. A 54-56cm frame is what I usually think is about perfect when it comes to having the 'right' look.
The Archetype rims are in great condition- i have em on my gravel bike too and the track wear hasnt been an issue. Ive read its a complaint, like you mention.

As for 4mi Creek...is that some good EXIF searching on your part or do you actually know it?
You left location services on. Just don't post a photo from your garage or I'll come down and steal your stuff
Old 09-12-18, 02:56 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Nice bike.
Saddle and spacers detract from the ever-subjective "hot" points.
Black saddle would make a big difference. Or white saddle/bar tape. I think that would be better.
Beautiful bike.
Agreed on the saddle- a Brooks c17 is not the sleek and waif style of saddle that is usually on hot bikes. But it rocks for comfort.

I had a Serfas Spector(sleek design and less than half the weight of a c17) on for about 300mi and while it was nice, it wasnt perfect. I could ride 3hr nonstop before I started to disagree with the Serfas. Meanwhile, I can ride 5hr nonstop with the c17 and dont even think about it, then jump back on and keep riding without issue.

Ill use the Spector on my trainer this winter and try again on the bike next season to see if I magically like it past a few hours.

Old 09-12-18, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bike is the reliable asexual friend to the female lead in so many rom-coms.

I can accept it firmly being in the friend zone.
It has a nice personality, and character.
The saddle doesn't bother me, the spacers - just a little. Bikes that are much taller than average in my book just look gangling - this one is OK, but pushing it. Not sure what to make of the paint job, but I think it's sufficiently eye-catching to help one ignore things that might be annoying otherwise (like the homely group and cages, and would-be gangling-ness, maybe ).
Old 09-12-18, 09:00 PM

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
It'd be verging on hot with a black seat and a nicer looking crankset.
Old 09-12-18, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
As said in the first opening post, a "Hot" or a "Not" is all that's to be posted. This isn't a trolling thread, as mentioned, nor is it a "you're mean, so I'll be meaner" thread.

Straighten up and fly right.
The very next post violates the request made by you, but so does nearly every post since you told us to reply with "Hot" or "Not" only.

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Nice. But would be better with a more classic look crankset, IMO
​​​​​​
Old 09-13-18, 09:31 AM
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

Ok why steel and not custom Ti? I like the spacers, just 2mm more than mine...very good job there. Excellent saddle to bar height on this one, it's almost perfect. I think it sets the standard on how people should have their saddle relative to their bars. I do like the colors but the two tone gives me that 70s vibe....but it's very unique. What tire size you running? If it was all orange or all white I think it would look better but it's a good looking bike as is.
Old 09-13-18, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
I just think your bike is ugly. It's the "Not" poster child. Hodge podge of mismatched parts, a stack of spacers... just remembering it makes me throw up in my mouth a little, but have fun dropping 50 year olds on it, or whatever you do.
Originally Posted by MyTi
At the same token I don't think people should complain when I criticize a bike with blunt honesty as well. For some reason after I began being more honest and critical people start bringing up my bike again that I posted weeks ago.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I know that many think of Ti as a "forever" frame material, but even if the bike is an uggo, I wouldn't drop anything heavy on the frame, let alone a 50-year old.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
The very next post violates the request made by you, but so does nearly every post since you told us to reply with "Hot" or "Not" only.

Ok so I'll be more clear. I don't care who started it or where it started, enough with the friction.
Old 09-13-18, 10:28 AM
Sunshine

Ok why steel and not custom Ti?
Because I wanted steel.
And because it was possible for me to learn to build by brazing steel, but I wouldnt have been able to weld titanium.

Titanium bikes are neat but too plain for me. With that said, if I had $6k just lying around, i would give a serious look at Firefly due to the anodizing or Holland's Exogrid. Those are the 2 titanium frames I have seen that are visually interesting.
But again- i couldnt have built the bike if it were made with titanium tubes.
Old 09-13-18, 01:17 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I am not one who is given over to much drama, but bear with me on this one please. I am a long time loyal follower of this thread. It is extraordinarily rare that a true work of art finds its way onto these pages. Whether factory, custom or a build of your own, the net effect of the volumes of pictures here is really a collective yawn. Sure, sometimes you see a bike that makes you think "oh, that's nice." But how often does a bike appear that makes you feel its presence on a visceral level? Brace yourselves, as one is shortly forthcoming. You know the way you feel when you draw in the beauty of the Hope Diamond in the Smithsonian? It's not an intellectual process. You soak it in on an emotional, spiritual even, level. Let me ask this of you. As you pen your comments please temper your praise in deference to the very many who have come before me and failed. As soon as the postal carrier delivers the last part of this masterpiece this afternoon, and I carefully mount it to the bike with the skill of a true craftsman, I will treat you to a feast for your eyes.
Old 09-13-18, 01:19 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Incoming!!
Old 09-13-18, 01:28 PM
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Because I wanted steel.
And because it was possible for me to learn to build by brazing steel, but I wouldnt have been able to weld titanium.

Titanium bikes are neat but too plain for me. With that said, if I had $6k just lying around, i would give a serious look at Firefly due to the anodizing or Holland's Exogrid. Those are the 2 titanium frames I have seen that are visually interesting.
But again- i couldnt have built the bike if it were made with titanium tubes.
Fair enough. Don’t you find the weight of steel unnecessary? Great beautiful build but I don’t want to know what it weighs.
Old 09-13-18, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Man. I so want to post the new bike here, but:
1) It's a tall bike (not hot)
2) It has too many spacers on top of the stem (not hot)
3) It still has a spacer under the stem (not hot)
4) It's a really tall bike (really not hot)
5) Ugly R8000 cranks
6) No carbon wheels

How am I doing for a 63cm bike?
Old 09-13-18, 02:42 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 09-13-18, 02:50 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am not one who is given over to much drama, but bear with me on this one please. I am a long time loyal follower of this thread. It is extraordinarily rare that a true work of art finds its way onto these pages. Whether factory, custom or a build of your own, the net effect of the volumes of pictures here is really a collective yawn. Sure, sometimes you see a bike that makes you think "oh, that's nice." But how often does a bike appear that makes you feel its presence on a visceral level? Brace yourselves, as one is shortly forthcoming. You know the way you feel when you draw in the beauty of the Hope Diamond in the Smithsonian? It's not an intellectual process. You soak it in on an emotional, spiritual even, level. Let me ask this of you. As you pen your comments please temper your praise in deference to the very many who have come before me and failed. As soon as the postal carrier delivers the last part of this masterpiece this afternoon, and I carefully mount it to the bike with the skill of a true craftsman, I will treat you to a feast for your eyes.
This is so well written. Thank you.

My only critique is, paragraphs.

The bike better live up to the hype or I'm going to be angry enough to take a nap.
Old 09-13-18, 02:52 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Well photographed.

3T parts are sexy.

Arundel cages are as correct as it gets. Thank you for that.

Rapha bottle.... I don't know.

I'd take it to the movies and then Steak & Shake on a weeknight.

Originally Posted by Reeses

Old 09-13-18, 02:54 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11405 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts

​​​​​​

Understood. It's only a request, and it's up to you (all inclusive) to follow the rules set forth by you (all inclusive yet again), because I'm certain everyone that has posted, has read the very first post, and are following said rules.
Old 09-13-18, 03:07 PM
For The Fun of It

Oh, that's nice.
Old 09-13-18, 03:33 PM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts

A few too many Cannondale labels for my taste and not crazy about the ones on the chainstays either. Otherwise, I like it.
Old 09-13-18, 03:39 PM
Sunshine

Fair enough. Don’t you find the weight of steel unnecessary? Great beautiful build but I don’t want to know what it weighs.
I dont find the weight of steel unnecessary which is why i chose to spend the time and money to learn how to build the frame. If the weight bothered me, i wouldnt have built the bike.
Its 20.8# in that picture. That is plenty light for me. I am never going to be a featherweight and while it was fun to track component weight thru the build to see if I could get it below 20# while keeping costs reasonable, once the bike was built I didnt fret or even think about the weight of it. Its plenty light for me.

I could toss on a Whiskey No7 carbon fork and save 500g which is 17oz. That would get my bike under 20#, but why?

The bike, as is, fits me great and is comfortable for hours. It doesnt hold me back in any way. I average 16mph +/- 1mph on my road rides. A bike that weighs 2# less wouldnt do much at all for me. I could stand to lose that weight though.
Old 09-13-18, 03:41 PM
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If its anything like that gravel flatbar turned drop bar with bar end hooks and loose neoprene covering, then i wont hold my breath.

Do we get to even know the brand/model?
Old 09-13-18, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah Ti frames last forev

Not hot for two reasons. 1) The head tube doesn't line up with the rest of the bike. Always line everything up per the posted guidelines for photos. 2) Sloppy cable routing. On the plus side, the bar tape is really nice.
Old 09-13-18, 03:46 PM
For The Fun of It

Unfortunately the part didn't arrive, but I'll go ahead and break through the suspense and give you what we have right now.

The camera is a Nikon D3200 DSLR using a Nikkor 18-55 lens in the auto setting. I have found the auto setting really sets the bike off while deemphasizing the garage door.

I present to you the world's first, and category defining, carbon fiber performance cruiser. The lovely lady Laurie enjoys a leisurely pedal from time to time. She finds the cruiser configuration most comfortable but scoffs at the notion that a discerning rider must suffer a 40 pound steel sled to get the ergonomics she deserves. She appreciates a light, stiff, responsive and elegant bike. The Marin Highway One's graceful lines and friendly geometry made the perfect platform for this project.

The drive train features a feathery 36/22 FSA carbon crank supported by a Mega Exo ceramic bottom bracket. A Dura Ace 9 speed chain connects to an Ultegra 11-30 casstte. Gears are switched via a combination of Tiagra, Sora and Microshift components. State-of-the-art 3 bearing Shanmashi pedals are used to set this art in motion. Rims are made by Shimano and highlighted by black straight gauge spokes with red alloy nipples, surrounded by beautiful blue 700x28 Panaracer Ribmo rubber. Stopping power is provided by Promax V brakes activated by Avid levers. The cockpit features Origin 8 touring bars and a nifty infinitely adjustable Satori Up One stem. Laurie's delightful little bum is kept cozy compliments of a cushy Bontrager saddle.

With this masterpiece it's not a matter of Hot or Not, it's whether it's sizzling hot, piping hot or white hot. Thanks in advance for your kind words.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 09-13-18 at 04:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.