Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

REI Clydesdale Options help

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

REI Clydesdale Options help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 12:25 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerlifter
lots of people who get their bikes stolen with the thinner cables, and they've used bolt cutters and even hand tools before to cut through some of the cables that wasn't that difficult.

....and that is why even after running the cable through, I run the U lock thru the frame and wheel so it will not roll even if one cuts the cable.

If they do cut the cable, it is a bit of a deterrent not being able to ride away. If it's someone in a pickup truck, then you're SOL!
Old 12-29-16, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe someone needs to invent some tracking/exloding device for bike thieves. If they do get it in a truck you can alert police then set off a smoke bomb/flash bang concealed as a water bottle :-)
Old 12-29-16, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't they have gps chips you can put anywhere on the bike now? I got one of those 19mm protector chains and the kryptonite mini u, wicked duo so long as you don't mind carting 20 pounds of chain around.
Old 12-29-16, 04:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha. Hauling a few locks would be worth saving a $650 bike to me.
Old 12-29-16, 04:46 PM
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ha. Hauling a few locks would be worth saving a $650 bike to me.
I like the name of your new ($500) bike.

-Snuts-
Old 12-29-16, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Maybe someone needs to invent some tracking/exloding device for bike thieves. If they do get it in a truck you can alert police then set off a smoke bomb/flash bang concealed as a water bottle :-)
This was talked about here at great length not long ago. Check this out: This lock can deter would-be bike thieves by making them puke - Shareable - The Daily Telegram - Adrian, MI - Adrian, MI
Old 12-29-16, 11:45 PM

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for this wisdom. I will go to the bike shop which is close to REI and likely has more Cannondale in stock and more knowledgeable folks to help size me. I would feel better to ride a Cannondale M and L before ordering.

Would also check out some hybrids.More upright riding postion vs A mountain/urban bike.

I like the Urban type bikes for riding around town and some offroad.Kind of A relax geometry all around type bike.
Some have A triple ring up front or single chainring.
Like the Giant ATX Lite,Raleigh Redux and the Cdale BAD BOY and A few others.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 12-30-16 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 12:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Very nice!! I'd buy the exploding alarm with 3 refills!! I can only imagine in this country these days - especially LA - if I blew the eardrum out of some scumbag I'd be the one that got sued for victimizing them.
Old 12-30-16, 12:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeyseven

Would also check out some hybrids.More upright riding postion vs A mountain/urban bike.

I like the Urban type bikes for riding around town and some offroad.Kind of A relax geometry all around type bike.
Some have A triple ring up front or single chainring.
Like the Giant ATX Lite,Raleigh Redux and the Cdale BAD BOY and A few others.
Next week I'll hit the bike store that has more options than REI and try out whatever hybrid and mountain bikes they have. If any of the Cannondales seem to be a good fit I'll see if I can order them from REI. I don't think REI carries Guant or Raleigh. I think they had the Bad Boy but it's quite pricey.

Until/if I'm ever as hard core as you guys I don't wanna spend a ton. Well even the $500 - $650 range seems like a lot of money to me , plus will be getting the U lock and cable lock, maybe the lockable spindlers or whatever they're called for front wheel, water bottle holder etc money adds up! I forget what the mountain bike was I bought in my early 20s but it was pricey back then and really nice. I barely used it despite my intentions and enthusiasm and 10 years later gaff it to a friend who needed a bike to ride with his kid...and I literally sold a Specialized mountain bike like 6 months ago because it was hanging in my garage for 5 years and I rode it only 2-3 times. So I don't wanna go bonkers plus I am on a fixed disability income. I do think this time I'm actually gonna make a serous effort to ride regularly. Body is too banged up for MMA right now, and lifting has been minimized due to injuries past few months. Plus I have borderline high blood pressure.

Will definitely check out both mountain bikes and hybrids then see what REI offers or will offer this spring as new models come in. But that cannondale Trail is on sale so if it works out seems like it would be a good deal.
Old 12-30-16, 11:40 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
REI is not a bad shop, but is not bike specific.

They don't have riding clothing except socks, shoes, and helmets for my size in the store, and only one set of bibs online that fit me (I am 360 pounds).

They do have bikes, but I would have to buy wheels from another source (currently I run Rolf Prima wheels).

REI does have good quality if their items work for you, and at 250 pounds there isn't anything they offer that you can't ride.
Old 12-31-16, 11:45 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I didn't see this mentioned...Depending on how much of a rush you're in, REI is coming out with a new line of bikes in March or April. I was told by an REI mechanic today that there will be mountain, hybrids, road and touring bikes. March or April is also when REI dividends and their 20% off deal come into play. You didn't list where you're from so winter riding may or may not be an option for you till spring anyway.

BTW... I rode an entry level Felt road bike with 23c tires and less than 36 spokes when I was around 250 lbs. I was careful and didn't jump curbs and tried to avoid obstacles and had no wheel problems.
Old 01-01-17, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
REI is not a bad shop, but is not bike specific.

They don't have riding clothing except socks, shoes, and helmets for my size in the store, and only one set of bibs online that fit me (I am 360 pounds).

They do have bikes, but I would have to buy wheels from another source (currently I run Rolf Prima wheels).

REI does have good quality if their items work for you, and at 250 pounds there isn't anything they offer that you can't ride.
Thanks! Visiting parents for holiday weekend and taking dad hunting but when i return will be back to bike shopping mission. Especially after this holiday season I've packed on some weight.
Old 01-01-17, 06:02 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I didn't see this mentioned...Depending on how much of a rush you're in, REI is coming out with a new line of bikes in March or April. I was told by an REI mechanic today that there will be mountain, hybrids, road and touring bikes. March or April is also when REI dividends and their 20% off deal come into play. You didn't list where you're from so winter riding may or may not be an option for you till spring anyway.

BTW... I rode an entry level Felt road bike with 23c tires and less than 36 spokes when I was around 250 lbs. I was careful and didn't jump curbs and tried to avoid obstacles and had no wheel problems.
While at 225LBS broke spokes on 24, 28, 32, wheels. Never on a 36 Spoke Wheels.
Put 39,000 miles on my Felt

Old 01-01-17, 08:07 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
While at 225LBS broke spokes on 24, 28, 32, wheels. Never on a 36 Spoke Wheels.

Looks like the same F 80 that I rode. Maybe you broke spokes because you loaded it with a rack and various bags. It looks like you toured with it which is not what the Felt F 80 was intended for.

Then again I just might have been lucky.
Old 01-01-17, 08:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
While at 225LBS broke spokes on , 28, 32, wheels. Never on a 36 Spoke Wheels.
You need a better wheel builder. Heavier than you and never any trouble with a 28 or 32 spoke wheel I built myself.

Yes, lots of trouble with 28, 32, 36 and 48 with wheels built by inept bike shop wheel builders.
Old 01-02-17, 12:35 AM

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Man, power, it is like you are expecting a new born! But you don't know what it will look like! this is exciting news on 1-1-17.
Old 01-02-17, 12:39 AM

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
thanks for sharing the picts, 10. What an adventure.
Old 01-09-17, 03:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No dice yet

Looks like REI sales changed and inventory at my local store is minimal to try out. Stopped at another bike store they only had a few Cannondale but sales was busy for long time with family full of kids to size and test ride. Stopped at another bike shop and all they had was one brand - Jamis bikes that were priced really low.

Wish REI had a larger selection so I could just test ride a bunch and take one home. Right now they only really have the Diamondback Insight 2 available in my use/size/price range.

If it weren't for the REI gift certicates I have for over $400 I'd just hit the one bike store that I know to be good people and get whatever hybrid or mountain bike they suggested. They carry some Cannondale stuff and have many other stores they can get stuff in if I requested, plus a ton of Trek and some of the Trek hybrid and mountain bikes were in the $400-500 range So more options than REI. But I have the REI gift cards so gonna have to figure out some sort of option there to save me from using my savings account!
Old 01-11-17, 04:24 PM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 279 Posts
go blind and order a medium cannondale, fine fit to your body with a $20-50 stem
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 01-15-17, 06:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
go blind and order a medium cannondale, fine fit to your body with a $20-50 stem
Not sure what the stem means - what the handlebars attach to? Going to visit the local bike shop again this week and hope someone has time to fit me on what Cannondales they have...as it looks like I will have to order from REI blind without getting to sit on anything. At this point according to their website, the only Cannondale in my price range will be a Catalyst 2 at $589. They must have sold out of the 2016 Trails they had on sale, but as I tried to order the Novaris from the sales listed on the website, if it does not come direct from Warehouse they jam you with big fees so it ends up not really being a sale.

On the REI website for the Cannondale Catalyst 2 they say a medium is for folks up to 5'9 (and I am barely 5'10 so medium could be good to go)...but plenty of reading I've done says you cant go strictly on height. I would rather play it safe though and try to at least have someone size me up on a Cannondale at local shop but they did not have Catalyst when I was there last.

I may get sick of waiting and get the darn Diamondback Insight 2 haha, but for $90 more I assume a Cannondale is worth it.
Old 01-15-17, 08:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A stem is the part that attaches the fork tube to holding the handle bars.

You can swap it out to fit you better. Some are long, some are short, some have a rise that angles the stem down for a racer look. But can also be flipped so that it angles up in case you want to sit more upright.

I like mine angled upward and a bit shorter to make the reach easier. Been told by a tailor that I have short arms for my height. Probably why I suck in basketball!

If you buy a new bike from a shop, many will swap out the stem to fit you better free of charge.

If you buy a bike from REI, you could later buy a stem to fit you better if you are not happy with the comfort of the bike. IF you need a shorter reach to the handle bars or want to sit more upright.

I like the comfort of a shorter reach and the upright angle. I'm more comfortable on a century (100 mile ride) that way.

You can find stems all over the net for good prices. Be sure to figure out what length, and bar diameter you need first. Some may be $20, some may be $200 depending on what you want to spend and need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stem.jpg (90.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 01-16-17, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeTim
A stem is the part that attaches the fork tube to holding the handle bars.

You can swap it out to fit you better. Some are long, some are short, some have a rise that angles the stem down for a racer look. But can also be flipped so that it angles up in case you want to sit more upright.

I like mine angled upward and a bit shorter to make the reach easier. Been told by a tailor that I have short arms for my height. Probably why I suck in basketball!

If you buy a new bike from a shop, many will swap out the stem to fit you better free of charge.

If you buy a bike from REI, you could later buy a stem to fit you better if you are not happy with the comfort of the bike. IF you need a shorter reach to the handle bars or want to sit more upright.

I like the comfort of a shorter reach and the upright angle. I'm more comfortable on a century (100 mile ride) that way.

You can find stems all over the net for good prices. Be sure to figure out what length, and bar diameter you need first. Some may be $20, some may be $200 depending on what you want to spend and need.
100 mile ride?!!? Dang that sounds intimidating haha...I figure I would prefer a more upright position as well as tight as my back and hips are.
Old 01-16-17, 04:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100 mile ride?!!? Dang that sounds intimidating haha....
It sounds intimidating till you get a new bike!

You'll be there in no time.
Old 01-17-17, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,740 Times in 7,401 Posts
Looks like REI sales changed and inventory at my local store is minimal to try out.

Wish REI had a larger selection so I could just test ride a bunch and take one home. Right now they only really have the Diamondback Insight 2 available in my use/size/price range.

REI is re-branding its bike line for 2017. IIRC, they are abandoning the name Novara in favor of Co-Op or something like that. I am sure that, combined with the time of year, explains the currently small inventory.
Old 01-23-17, 12:52 AM

Bikes: 2017 Niner Jet 9, 2014 KHS Flight 500

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Powerlifter, I am not going to pretend that I know half as much as most of the others on this forum. However just over a year ago I was in the exact same place you were. Bikes have change a ton since I was a kid and built them out of the scrape pile in the back yard. The only real difference is that I was pushing 350lbs when I started.

Like most have said If you are going to use your REI gift certificates all the bike that you are looking are are close in quality. After reading through your thread you should be alright with pretty much any of the bikes you have looked at. Just make sure that it fit your frame. Then start saving your money for a nicer better quality bike later down the road, If you decide that cycling is not for you then you are not out a ton of money.

When I started I purchased a hardtail mountain bike and rode it 95% of the time on the street, yes it requires more energy to ride it on the streets then a hybrid or road bike but the extra resistance provided by the mountain bike helped me get into better shape and lose some weight.

My first ride was only about 2.5 miles and I though I was going to die, but I continued with it and rode over 6000 miles in 2016.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.