Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this bike as a bare frame at our local CO-OP up a couple days ago and built it up last night, can not find any info about it anywhere. Sorry crappy camera pics. It's a 48 frame, but fits me great. At first I thought it was crossbike, but it's marked as a tourer. Anyone have any info on it. I did the usual Google search, nothing. Anyways it will be my new tourer/commuter/crossbike. Also posted in Touring, Cyclocross and Commuting.

Old 12-21-08, 10:22 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,788 Posts
Bikepedia has 3 entries for Scott Seattle. 1994-95-96. They list it as a hybrid.

https://www.bikepedia.com/Search.aspx?Q=scott+seattle

Old 12-21-08, 10:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, it's a start.
Old 12-21-08, 10:55 AM
Arsehole

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gordo Grande
Thanks for posting this. I had known about this, but had forgotten it. I live in So Cal, so I'll start watching.
I see an Iverson cruiser in Indy, but I know nothing about Iverson. And it's a women's. Bidding on a couple of cool old cameras, though.
Old 12-21-08, 04:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deleted pics by accident

Old 12-21-08, 06:07 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
$6 Nishiki? Check out shopgoodwill.com
Old 12-21-08, 06:20 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
If you commute on that, it will be a lot harder to pick up bikes you see along the way.

Looks like a diamond in the rough.
Old 12-21-08, 07:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone live near Omaha, NE? That is where the 6 dollar Nishiki is. I would so buy it if someone could pick it up for me....
Old 12-21-08, 07:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only have a short commute to the YMCA about 1 1/2 from home, but be assured when I drive to the school bus, I still will find the curb side treasures. The Scott actually came from Pedal Pushers, they didn't have any info on the bike either. They donated over 50 bikes, and another LBS around Hershey donated over 130 bikes last week alone.

We may be losing our location for the CO-OP, the building inspectors say the building is unsafe. We have over 600 bikes right now, but we will be donating 200 to Pedals for Progress on Christmas Eve. Want to help load bikes.....
Old 12-21-08, 07:05 PM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Elad63
I only have a short commute to the YMCA about 1 1/2 from home, but be assured when I drive to the school bus, I still will find the curb side treasures. The Scott actually came from Pedal Pushers, they didn't have any info on the bike either. They donated over 50 bikes, and another LBS around Hershey donated over 130 bikes last week alone.

We may be losing our location for the CO-OP, the building inspectors say the building is unsafe. We have over 600 bikes right now, but we will be donating 200 to Pedals for Progress on Christmas Eve. Want to help load bikes.....
I might be able to. Time and location would be useful info.
Old 12-22-08, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
$6 Nishiki? Check out shopgoodwill.com
Man I spent most of the day(working around the house) at the Goodwill.com site yesterday when someone posted a link,I was never there before the only reason I stopped looking at stuff is their server was having problems,I think I got to be careful before clicking on some of the links you guys put up LOL
Old 12-22-08, 12:03 PM
CruiserManiac

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Fiesta 24", 1975 Schwinn Breeze (26"), 1986 Regal Mountainbike (26")

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saved this '75 Schwinn Breeze from almost certain recycling.

It had been chained to a post on the bikepath near my house, without a front wheel for the past month, and I finally sprang into action when I found that someone had snagged the original 3spd rear wheel and hub. I talked to a city police officer and he said I would be doing the city a favor by removing it from the path. I did just that.

I put the rims on it from one of my other bikes, but the tires are too large. I have new ones Ive yet to put on the rims. Maybe ill do that today then go for a ride!
Old 12-22-08, 12:07 PM
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
looks like bikes are only from certain locations & they don't ship. am I missing something there?
Old 12-22-08, 05:08 PM
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
One of my best & oldest friends/riding buddies gave me a Nuovo Record/Mavic MA40 wheelset that was gathering dust in his garage. Just the thing for my Motobecane Grand Touring that I've upgraded to mostly Nuovo Record.

The same friend introduced me to my wife 23 years ago. She's a catch, too.
Old 12-22-08, 05:23 PM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Straightblock..."to good friends"...
Old 12-22-08, 05:25 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I scored!

Thanks to you folks, I have now taken up the pastime of lurking around some L.A. thrift shops. I finally found a good one near my job that isn’t affiliated with Goodwill or Salvation Army. I’ve been there three times, and each time they’ve had bikes. The first time there were a couple of little kids bikes, and the third time they had a full size mountain bike….although it was a Huffy, so I passed.

On the second trip, however, I scored. Got this old Slocum wind trainer for ten bucks! I know it’s missing an important piece, that holds the bottom bracket in place. I’m hoping, though, that I can either find something online or fabricate something that can do the job.

I had one of these wind trainers when they first came out, and they were considered some of the best at the time. I’ve been kicking myself for about fifteen years for selling the damn thing.

I hope this works out.

Old 12-22-08, 09:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wd-40?!

WD-40 is a corrosive degreaser... not recommended for bike parts. If you want to clean a really gummed up derailleur dissect the whole mechanism over a rag. I use mineral spirits (especially with rough condition cassettes and freewheels) as cheaper alternative to bike specific degreasers. Cheaper is better because you'll usually employ a lot of product when cleaning truly neglected bike parts. Pour some in a mug and get at the derailleur (especially the jockies) with a toothbrush. Mineral spirits are gentle and cut through all manner of caked-on grease.
Old 12-23-08, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
looks like bikes are only from certain locations & they don't ship. am I missing something there?
No, I don't believe you are missing anything. I've noticed it, too -- most bikes are offered by the Nebraska, Indianapolis, and Santa Ana locations. My guess is that those stores have the additional staff to handle frequent online auctions, or perhaps there is only the one Goodwill store for a large region, or perhaps those Goodwill organizations promote bicycle donation. And they probably don't ship because the the shippers demand a premium for oversize or awkward-to-pack items like bikes.
Old 12-23-08, 11:20 PM
Señor Member

I'll be taking/posting pictures tomorrow or Christmas.

Some background here... I offered to help Elad63 pack up a bunch of bicycles that are stored in a Harrisburg co-op location tomorrow, but the pack-up got postponed due to the weather. Anyhow, as I was driving back from Secaucus, NJ, my cell phone rings, and it's Elad63 who asks me - Why don't you stop by anyway, and I can show you this place? It's 3:30. I have 20 miles of New Jersey left, and he tells me he has to be somewhere at 6:00. I foolishly suggest I can meet him there at 5:15. I'll spare the details, but I get there about 5:21, and he takes me into this large basement.

He said there were 600 bikes in there, and I didn't bother to try to count them all, but I have no reason to doubt him. Before you get all excited, I'd have to say about 85% of them are kids bikes, big box MTBs and such. The other 15% - nothing in there anyone would get rich selling. Probably the nicest frame in there was a Specialized MTB that I actually recognized as having once been a friend of mines' from the majorly torked fork, so you can tuck your tongues back into your mouths.

He had mentioned something about a couple mixtes and Raleighs, and I was hoping there's be a Marathon - like the one I found and passed on to Darwin, or the other one that jgedwa got to with the cash to grab before me. I figured something like that would be nicer than the yellow Vista that sits in my shed waiting for that one day when my wife can't fight me off any longer and agrees to try to learn how to ride a bicycle. Well, there are a few mixtes - a Fuji, a couple Raleighs and a Peugeot - but all with the heavier tubing.

Well back with the other older bicycles (the kind I have been assured the people who come there have zero interest in), I see this really funky ladies bicycle with a triple plane fork crown, skip tooth sprockets front and rear, a rack, streamers and coaster brake. Almost no rust (just some light hints on non-chromed wheels), and a really great Mesinger saddle with dimensions that would put some dinner plates to shame. The head badge is kind of faint, but we can make out Overland.

Anyhow, like I said, no pictures tonight, but here's a copy of a picture from an eBay auction where someone sold a bunch of old head badges. I'm glad I found this, because the one on this bicycle is so faded, I don't think I would have ever made out the colors.

btw - Elad63 - I have a leftover Trek 800 MTB frame to donate - and a bunch of cantilever brake parts. It will help clear out my shop space, and hopefully put a couple more decent bikes back into circulation.

Last edited by USAZorro; 12-23-08 at 11:24 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 12-24-08, 12:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds like my kind of bike,please post pictures! I'm the odd duck here, not much into road bikes.......I like the balloon tire cruisers and the 60's/70s three speeds, but to each his own
Old 12-24-08, 12:24 AM
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidW56
No, I don't believe you are missing anything. I've noticed it, too -- most bikes are offered by the Nebraska, Indianapolis, and Santa Ana locations. My guess is that those stores have the additional staff to handle frequent online auctions, or perhaps there is only the one Goodwill store for a large region, or perhaps those Goodwill organizations promote bicycle donation. And they probably don't ship because the the shippers demand a premium for oversize or awkward-to-pack items like bikes.
Probably partly because of the shipping cost, but mainly - I would guess - because of the lack of qualified people to properly pack a bike. I'm hoping there are some decent ones from Indy sometime soon. It's only about an hour away from me. That said, if the "right" bike showed up in Nebraska and I won it, I'd be taking a road trip. lol
Old 12-24-08, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greencastle?? I just noticed you're from Greencastle. Only tonight I first heard of Greencastle because my son was stuck in traffic on I-70 due to closures due to snow, and I was helping him look for exits and motels. It took him five hours -- no exaggeration -- to make it from around the Illinois line to Plainfield. He called from that stretch of nothing between exit 23 and exit 37, and I was looking for hotels in Cloverdale and possibly Greencastle. Nothing. All full. In fact, he said everyone on the freeway was exiting to Cloverdale, and the pavement was a skating rink, so he got right back on the freeway. Finally, at midnight, he called to say he got one of the last rooms in the last hotel available, the Cambria Inn. It was so icy he felt he should walk across the road to the Burger King rather than drive.

He is in the Army and has been driving home for Christmas from Fort Hood, Texas since Monday morning.
Old 12-24-08, 01:45 AM
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidW56
Greencastle?? I just noticed you're from Greencastle. Only tonight I first heard of Greencastle because my son was stuck in traffic on I-70 due to closures due to snow, and I was helping him look for exits and motels. It took him five hours -- no exaggeration -- to make it from around the Illinois line to Plainfield. He called from that stretch of nothing between exit 23 and exit 37, and I was looking for hotels in Cloverdale and possibly Greencastle. Nothing. All full. In fact, he said everyone on the freeway was exiting to Cloverdale, and the pavement was a skating rink, so he got right back on the freeway. Finally, at midnight, he called to say he got one of the last rooms in the last hotel available, the Cambria Inn. It was so icy he felt he should walk across the road to the Burger King rather than drive.

He is in the Army and has been driving home for Christmas from Fort Hood, Texas since Monday morning.
Yup, Greencastle. We were all stuck in town today. All roads out of Greencastle were closed. (US 231 and US240)

I know the owners of the Cambria Inn.
Old 12-24-08, 05:32 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
/SNIPPED/ He had mentioned something about a couple mixtes and Raleighs, and I was hoping there's be a Marathon - like the one I found and passed on to Darwin, or the other one that jgedwa got to with the cash to grab before me. I figured something like that would be nicer than the yellow Vista that sits in my shed waiting for that one day when my wife can't fight me off any longer and agrees to try to learn how to ride a bicycle. Well, there are a few mixtes - a Fuji, a couple Raleighs and a Peugeot - but all with the heavier tubing.

Well back with the other older bicycles (the kind I have been assured the people who come there have zero interest in), I see this really funky ladies bicycle with a triple plane fork crown, skip tooth sprockets front and rear, a rack, streamers and coaster brake. Almost no rust (just some light hints on non-chromed wheels), and a really great Mesinger saddle with dimensions that would put some dinner plates to shame. The head badge is kind of faint, but we can make out Overland.

Anyhow, like I said, no pictures tonight, but here's a copy of a picture from an eBay auction where someone sold a bunch of old head badges. I'm glad I found this, because the one on this bicycle is so faded, I don't think I would have ever made out the colors.

WOW. I have to see a doctor now for a drooling problem. Thanks!
Old 12-24-08, 09:10 AM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Rollfast
WOW. I have to see a doctor now for a drooling problem. Thanks!
I only got one bicycle mind you.

Until I get out with the camera, here's a picture of the bike before I rescued it from the orphanage. It's the two-toned blue one with the conspicuous fenders.

Already talked with the lad. He's already onboard to do the repaint (no big deal in this case since there's no way what's on there now is the original one).

Last edited by USAZorro; 12-24-08 at 09:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.