Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Technique for climbing hills?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Technique for climbing hills?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by tara1234
I find that when im spinning my low gear (42/32) I seam to be going at close to walking speed and still gets tiring.
It gets tiring because you're not in climbing shape. There's no one correct technique, I mean I climb in the drops. You need a workout program to get in better shape, like hill repeats at 2-3 minutes at a time until you want to puke. Ideally you probably want to spin @ 90rpm. After awhile you'll figure out what's comfortable to you. Then you have to think about other things like are you overweight, have enough carbs, ect.
Old 03-26-17, 05:30 AM

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Are we talking about getting up hills, or are we talking about climbing? If it's a quarter mile of who-cares-how-steep, use whatever technique you have to get to the top. Grind it, spin it, whatever-- hills of short duration can be done anaerobically, just muscle up them. To me, climbing is +4% (+200ft/mi) for miles and miles, and that relies on the mix of equipment, technique, and aerobic fitness. Don't have low enough gears, you're gonna have a bad time, no matter your fitness level. I just try to find the gear that's comfortable, and that I can sustain while keeping power output and heart rate relatively steady. Surging will wear you out much more quickly, and getting aerobic recovery while climbing is difficult. I don't love climbing as much as some folks seem to, but I do know that the best way to get better at it is to do it. Climbing more makes you a better climber.

That's called Zone 2, and endurance paced riding is fine if you never wish to get any faster, or ride longer distances. Non-injured, I average 200 miles and ~9,000ft of climbing each week, and there's at least one ride in there that leaves me with sore legs. Soreness is muscles repairing themselves, and it's completely normal. I can give myself sore legs from an hour on the trainer-- you can't do an hour at 85% intensity and not be sore the next day. If you did, then that 85% wouldn't actually be 85%. Low intensity doesn't make you sore because you're acclimated to it. Throw an LTHR/FTP test in there one day. Your legs will be sore for 2 days after 30 minutes on the bike.
Thank you, DrIsotope (massively great avatar, btw). I thought my simplistic method might be of value to the OP, or to a newbie rider who hadn't figured out a gear shifting strategy. Your explanation nailed the scientific alpha and omega and answered why I don't get faster (although faster isn't important to me at my age). But I find longer distances are easy enough to pedal if there's enough time. I have a touring mentality, so 12mph avg speed is acceptable. I have suspected that more High Intensity Interval Training (that's what you were describing, isn't it?) would yield a higher average speed, but that borders on work. And I thought "getting up hills or climbing mountains" was simply different amounts of the same thing, but I only have a bachelor's degree. 😎 My girlfriend does say she admires my stamina.
Old 03-26-17, 05:55 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 741 Posts
I suck on hills. Mostly because I have the college football player body (which I was) but at age 70 no longer have that strength. Strangely, I love hills. I think it''s because that's where all the gains are for me. I once had really good fast twitch fibers so spinning was what I went to on the hills. And, having trained only on rollers for 20 yrs. I am pretty smooth. What I found is that, as a rule, I climb better using power rather than high rpms. I've read and heard cycling coaches say that what works for one body type doesn't always work for another. So, it's something you will have to experiment with to find out what is best for you.
Old 03-26-17, 06:53 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It depends on the size of the hill. I size up the hill as I approach. If it is only a short climb, I dont even shift down, I just power up the hill. IMO it just makes your legs stronger.

If it looks like a long hill I shift down to a gear that I feel from experience I can spin to the top, that is what I do.
Old 03-26-17, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 108 Posts
I've done some long climbs (Whiteface Mtn NY, Mt Mitchell NC, etc), I found it best to be in the my lowest or 2nd to lowest, spin at about 60-75rpm, hands on the flat part of the bars, and just look down. I'll stop when I see a scenic view. Or like in the case of being 5000+ elevation, stop to catch my breath.
I'm getting into my upper 40's and always been a bit overweight. But I love a good climb. I'm not in a race or looking to KOM any mountains. So, this is how I do it.
Old 03-26-17, 08:57 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
New to riding and Hills:

Start in your lowest gear at the bottom.

Sit up Straight. Helps W Breathing.

Both hands near the center of your bars.

Do Not Look at The Top of The Hill.

See How S L O W you can go.

Once you get stronger you can try racing up the hills.
This makes perfect sense. For a rider blowing up, or having to walk up a hill, he tried to put out too much power (not slow enough) to begin with. Get up the hill in the first place, then get stronger, then try faster.
Old 03-26-17, 09:34 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
This depends a lot on the area you live in and the condition you are in when you start trying to build your climbing ability. If you are in Kansas, Nebraska, Florida.... then the hills you are going to run into are quite different than the Seattle area, or an area like Seattle. And, if you are already in good shape and no knee problems, you can approach the hills differently.

The OP needs to look at his/her environment and own health, then look at the suggestions. If your muscles are hurting and lungs burning, you are probably still safe, but you might give up if you overdo it. But, if you knees are hurting, you are definitely overdoing it and will likely injure yourself. Push yourself, don't hurt yourself. Getting better on hills is likely to be painful, but should not cause injuries.
Old 03-26-17, 10:04 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
+1
Or if your knees are hurting, the bike fit is what may be the problem.

I think if the OP can spin up in a 42/32 they really don't have any hills.

Here in Seattle, for road bikes at least, A 50/34 and an 11/28 or 11/32 cassette is a pretty standard configuration. and still results in grinding up more often than most people would probably care to admit.

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
This depends a lot on the area you live in and the condition you are in when you start trying to build your climbing ability. If you are in Kansas, Nebraska, Florida.... then the hills you are going to run into are quite different than the Seattle area, or an area like Seattle. And, if you are already in good shape and no knee problems, you can approach the hills differently.

The OP needs to look at his/her environment and own health, then look at the suggestions. If your muscles are hurting and lungs burning, you are probably still safe, but you might give up if you overdo it. But, if you knees are hurting, you are definitely overdoing it and will likely injure yourself. Push yourself, don't hurt yourself. Getting better on hills is likely to be painful, but should not cause injuries.

Car dependency is a tax.

Last edited by base2; 03-26-17 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-26-17, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
+1
Or if your knees are hurting, the bike fit is what may be the problem.

I think if the OP can spin up in a 42/32 he doesn't really have any hills.
42/32 is about the same as 34/26 which is a reasonable gear but I suspect the OPs definition of 'spinning' still needs a little work. 90RPM with a 42/32 is close to 10mph which might feel slow but isn't walking speed.
Old 03-26-17, 10:54 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
But there is still nearly a 20 percent difference between her "spin" up the hill gears and our "grind" up the hill gears. This is what makes me think they don't really have hills.

Being from Vancouver, now YOU guys know hills. I'm surprised that you would say 35 gear inches is reasonable. Perhaps a lifetime of all those hill just make you guys stronger? Last I was there, I had 36/25 with 700c's and I thought I was going to die!

We might be on to something here...defining terms we are using. I've always considered anything over 100 rpm as spinning, and anything under 75 0r 80 grinding. In my mind nothing is more than an incline or a rise in the road until at least 3 or 4 percent. A "hill" is steeper.

Originally Posted by gregf83
42/32 is about the same as 34/26 which is a reasonable gear but I suspect the OPs definition of 'spinning' still needs a little work. 90RPM with a 42/32 is close to 10mph which might feel slow but isn't walking speed.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 03-26-17, 11:05 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
But there is still nearly a 20 percent difference between her "spin" up the hill gears and our "grind" up the hill gears. This is what makes me think they don't really have hills.

Being from Vancouver, now YOU guys know hills. I'm surprised that you would say 35 gear inches is reasonable. Perhaps a lifetime of all those hill just make you guys stronger? Last I was there, I had 36/25 with 700c's and I thought I was going to die!

We might be on to something here...defining terms we are using. I've always considered anything over 100 rpm as spinning, and anything under 75 0r 80 grinding. In my mind nothing is more than an incline or a rise in the road until at least 3 or 4 percent. A "hill" is steeper.
We have numerous 15-20 degree hills in my area. On my commute I have a 16 degree 1/2 mile hill. So, we do need to know more about the hills and base conditioning, and knee health, prior to too many recently recommendations.
Old 03-26-17, 11:15 AM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming from mountain biking, a trick we always use is to never use your easiest gear unless you're at the hardest part of the hill. It is only your "bail out" gear. When the hill eases up a bit, shift one gear harder and make it work. If you stay in your easiest gear the whole time, you have nowhere to go, no way to ease up the pressure on you heart other than to slow down or in most cases, stop.

When you do SUPER long climbs, you start to look forward to the "easier" sections of the hill, even if they're still at 8%. Small grades start to look flat.

Whatever you do, don't GRIND up the hill.
Old 03-26-17, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If your legs hurt, shift into an easier gear. If you find that you're running out of breath, try a harder gear. If your legs and your lungs are both maxing out at the same time, you're doing it right.
or the other way around, maybe the legs cant put out the rpm and going up a gear and just pushing more weight in it might work, mashing is easier than spinning for most beginners
Old 03-26-17, 12:17 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Hey so I have learned how to spin on the flat and downhill at a good cadence. But I find that its hard to do that at a low gear while climbing a hill, should I just go to a slightly higher gear and grind my way up hills or is spinning still more effective while climbing?

I find that when im spinning my low gear (42/32) I seam to be going at close to walking speed and still gets tiring.
You really need to come back and explain what sort of hills you are talking about. Are we talking about a few hundred yards, a quarter mile, or some truly long climbs. My area is mostly flat with a couple of short hills on most rides. Sometimes I do rolling hills where the climbs are short and if I do it right, I can get halfway up a climb just on momentum from the downhills. I don't do long mountain climbs, but others on this forum do.

So, where do you ride, and how long and steep are these hills?
Old 03-26-17, 12:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
When you do SUPER long climbs, you start to look forward to the "easier" sections of the hill, even if they're still at 8%. Small grades start to look flat.
I've found this to be so. About seven years ago when I began cycling, as I slowly got stronger and the ability to recover from hard efforts improved, I was able to recover some on the shallower parts of a hill. My riding area is generally flat, the only hills being climbing out of river valleys or from estuaries. For this reason, to have any climbing ability I seek local hills and will go out of my way to ride them. I also have a pretty low bottom gear but there is no substitute for riding hills. The idea being that if one wishes to play the violin, practice. If one wishes to play it well, practice a lot.
Old 03-26-17, 01:34 PM

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
PEDs.

Or for us ordinary humans who'd rather live a bit longer...

I hate hills and avoid 'em on days when I plan to ride for hours
Yes, wholeheartedly agree. Big hills are to be avoided at all cost unless you have some insane fitness goals that the average "keep fit" rider doesn't. Small hills are fun though, I always start out of the saddle and climb as far as I can standing then drop back onto the saddle, lower the gearing and spin over the last bit. I do this to vary the muscles I exercise and rest the ones I have been. Often I stand for hills I don't need to just because it varies the ride and is good practice. IMO at least.
Old 03-26-17, 06:18 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
When I encounter the hills on my daily commute, I approach them differently just to give myself some variation.

Sometimes I keep in high gear and push as hard as I can all the way up. Sometimes I keep in low gear and keep at steady cadence as when I'm on level ground. Sometimes I'm in moderately high gear and peddle pretty slowly trying not to break a sweat. Sometimes I race to the hill on high gear and down shift as I feel the deceleration climbing. Sometimes I zigzag on the way up simulating a lower grade climb.
Old 03-26-17, 07:08 PM

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I purposely include several steep climbs in all my rides. I think a lot of riders avoid them which is too bad, because they're very important for strength building, imo. I do a combo of standing and sitting. In any case, my advice is: do lot's of them.
Old 03-26-17, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As many have said, depends on what you mean. I have a lot of hills around me and that is where most of my rides are. Most climbs are less than 1/2 mile, and are 8 to 11%. These are short enough that you just get up them and they are over. We have a ride in WA called RAMROD, which has 10K of climbing in 150 or so miles. One climb is 9 miles at 6%. Different strategy for that. Not that steep, but it just keeps going. I settle into a rhythm and ride. I will stop every few miles (at a point when I feel out of energy) and get off the bike for a minute or two, then back on. Helps me get up the hill. Had a long climb up Teton Pass (8,400' elevation at summit), same thing, get off every so often. Gets me up the more challenging climbs. Obviously depends on age and conditioning. At 69YO, I need to take a few more breaks on the bigger climbs than I used to. Some of it depends on your attitude towards climbing. I enjoy it in a perverse way.

Last edited by temoore; 03-26-17 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 12:04 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to 9% ?

It's true! I have a 3 mile 4% road right outside my front door. After that I hit the mountains. A couple of the roads through the residential foothill areas have 11%-18% grades. I hit them then once I'm over them my Gamin shows 7-9% again, I'm thinking Thank God!
Old 03-27-17, 12:11 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Hey so I have learned how to spin on the flat and downhill at a good cadence. But I find that its hard to do that at a low gear while climbing a hill, should I just go to a slightly higher gear and grind my way up hills or is spinning still more effective while climbing?

Can you clarify a few things for us?

What does "spinning" mean to you?

Can you post an elevation profile of a "hilly" route that you are currently doing?
Old 03-27-17, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest I never really thought about the best way to climb a hill. I just pedal through it. I know that the quality of the bike can have a small part to play. On my Specialized Tarmac I can climb much easier compared to my older Fuji Sportif 2.5, there is a 15 pound difference between the two.
Old 03-27-17, 05:48 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by decentdrummer91
To be honest I never really thought about the best way to climb a hill.
I didn't either when I lived in Manitoba and was faced with ... overpasses.

Or Alberta, where we had long gradual hills.

Or Victoria, where we had the choice of flat or hills, and usually chose flat.

But then I moved to Tasmania. And here I have to think about the best way to climb hills.
Old 03-27-17, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were talking about short but steep hills, say a mile at most. However some have traffic lights right in the middle of the steep bit and I dont like jumping lights in london.
Old 03-27-17, 09:07 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,492 Times in 1,843 Posts
I recommend, regardless of skill level, strength, or experience, that people follow a few basic rules:

Start at the bottom,

Head up

Bring a bike.

I lived the first half of my life in what is considered to be a very hilly region, but I was too poor to afford hill-climbing instructions. Those are things I picked up on my own. Sorry if they are incorrect; one can only do his best.

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-27-17 at 10:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.