Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Advice on Certain Race

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Advice on Certain Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-15, 08:12 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Nice, so in other words, even if i raced the Cat 5 . there could be some really fast guys there as well? well trained. more less. so cat 5 isn't just some guy on a tricycle then lol
Yes. There are lots of very fast cat 5 racers.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-25-15, 03:00 AM

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks alot folks , big help with my question.
So now I ask for an event like this. Would this specific one being in Richmond MN, would it have many people racing per category. For example for cat 4 and 5 would i see a field of 50 + per each?
Also for registration as site doesnt provide too much. Am i guaranteed a spot in Cat 4 or 5 just showing up and registering and doing a day licence purchase day of? no pre register?
thanks for all your help
Old 06-25-15, 05:36 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Registration policy is up to the promoter. Some races are preregistration only, no day-of. It should be clear. The maximum field size for races including Cat5 men and/or Cat4 women is 75.
Old 06-25-15, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, so in other words, even if i raced the Cat 5 . there could be some really fast guys there as well? well trained. more less. so cat 5 isn't just some guy on a tricycle then lol
IIRC, I had run a 1500m time trial in 4:05-6ish a couple of weeks prior to my first CAT 5 race. I had been riding with two masters nationals RR and TT medallists, as well as several CAT1s, regularly. Not at their level, but capable of rotating through for a while.

There were two pro triathletes in my first CAT 5 race, as well.

As someone who mainly races MTBs these days, I'd say that the fitness level of CAT4/5 racers is considerably higher than that of CAT3 MTB racers, both of which are beginner categories for their respective fields. So, while you might have had success in the Chequamegon 40, etc., you should keep the disparities in mind.
Old 06-25-15, 12:52 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds really. Good . thanks for the info. very interesting for sure. now i want to figure how to register
Old 07-09-15, 01:00 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also like to ask would this be considered a Sanction event? vs doing the festival events like cheq40? or whats the difference? like this consider more like "serious" racing> there would be most of the field be mostly serious people vs someone out to ride it out for fun?
Old 07-09-15, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was surprised when I did my first Cat 5 RR. It was a 25-26mph drag race for 35 miles and they dropped me just after the start of the second lap in the hills. Humbling to say the least! I wouldn't at all expect a Cat 4/5 race to be beginner. The bike handling and reactions may leave something to be desired, but there are some fast dudes.
Old 07-09-15, 08:03 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also like to ask would this be considered a Sanction event? vs doing the festival events like cheq40? or whats the difference? like this consider more like "serious" racing> there would be most of the field be mostly serious people vs someone out to ride it out for fun?

This is a USAC sanctioned/permitted event, if that's what you're asking. Definitely "serious" racing, though of course the competitiveness of any race depends on exactly who shows up to it. It's not going to be like a charity ride or family fun fest.
Old 07-13-15, 03:09 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi i have another question regarding this event. USA Cycling Events Search - USA Cycling
not getting any feedback from promoter, for the Day licence, would it be more wise to register it online prior? seems event is with the cycling club, so would someone from out of country still be allowed to race at least cat 5? thanks also since no online preregistration? do i just show up on race day and register and hope there is space? thanks
Old 07-13-15, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Hi i have another question regarding this event. USA Cycling Events Search - USA Cycling
not getting any feedback from promoter, for the Day licence, would it be more wise to register it online prior? seems event is with the cycling club, so would someone from out of country still be allowed to race at least cat 5? thanks also since no online preregistration? do i just show up on race day and register and hope there is space? thanks
Getting the one-day license online is fine. It will save you time at registration.

Registration, yes, show up on day of and register. There's probably little chance of it filling up.

As for the promoter, many events are put on by local cycling clubs. USAC used to require sponsored clubs/teams to hold one event a year. That is not longer a requirement though many clubs still do it.

And the event is open to any USAC license holder regardless of your country of origin.
Old 07-28-15, 09:52 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
race poster for that event says cheques payment to endurance promotions
would they accept cash for payment as well for registration? thanks
Old 07-28-15, 11:24 AM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You better win this race!
Old 07-30-15, 02:29 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
HAs anyone on here ridden this course / race before? would they allow a preride of the course, day before?
also on course has a neutral stretch then you get to the actual circuit, would finish line be on circuit or would u do x number of laps then finish back to the neutral straight part? thank
Old 07-30-15, 03:00 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
HAs anyone on here ridden this course / race before? would they allow a preride of the course, day before?
also on course has a neutral stretch then you get to the actual circuit, would finish line be on circuit or would u do x number of laps then finish back to the neutral straight part? thank
I have no idea about this course, but having done road races of this type before, you absolutely can pre-ride, you don't need permission because it's almost certainly just a series of open roads closed during the race. Be aware of any double line rules in effect (no crossing the road's median, except for the last few hundred meters of the race). If you cross, they'll move you to the back of the field, and if you do it a lot, you'll get DQ'd.

I've done road races where you do a few laps on a road circuit, and then turn off the circuit for the finish after a hill or whatever, and others where you do the neutral roll out onto the course from the parking lot and then just finish on the circuit without turning off again. Just depends.
Old 08-01-15, 08:16 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sounds great, can't wait for the challenge , prob will be challenging, even if i get dropped and end last place no worries
my only worries is the cat 5 race filling up since its only day of registration, i guess i better get their early.
Old 08-16-15, 05:51 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 359 Posts
sounds great, can't wait for the challenge , prob will be challenging, even if i get dropped and end last place no worries
my only worries is the cat 5 race filling up since its only day of registration, i guess i better get their early.
Did you do the race yesterday? How did it go?
Old 08-16-15, 01:22 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes did the race yesterday in Cat 5. was good time. Yes the ability in Cat 4 and 5 went together and varied a lot. Was a big chase. Lead group took off near end of 1st lap just before the climb and i just chased rest of day, wasn't easy but good time, learned lots and will try to do same event next year for sure