Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone Primal Blue Print ?How do you manage rides, races and training w/ No carbs?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone Primal Blue Print ?How do you manage rides, races and training w/ No carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple of primal jerseys....
Old 12-12-11, 11:02 AM
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
I'm not sure you're going to find a good on-bike solution for this. Carbs are you body's preferred fuel during exercise. I've always felt bogged down if I eat too much protein while riding, but that's just me. If you ride anything over 3 hours on just protein I'm guessing you would get an upset stomach. I don't think you'd have any better results eating pure fat, and that just doesn't seem healthy at all, anyway.

Personally I would just eat carbs while on the bike and skip them in your everyday meals if you are that much against them. That or stick to shorter rides.
I'm not sure what plan he's following. From what I understand of the paleo diet, nuts, fruits and such are all part of it. Just don't tell the OP that they have carbs
Old 12-12-11, 11:06 AM
wkg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
I'm not sure what plan he's following.
It's called "Primal Blue Print". I have no idea what that means.
Old 12-12-11, 11:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The whole "Primal or Paleo" diet is simple and just makes sense. You limit most, if not all, worthless or damaging (Read up on gluten and how harmful whole grains can be. Their only real benefit, fiber, is easily obtained from veggies/fruits) grains from your diet and replace those calories and carbs with fresh veggies and fruits... eat lot of lean protein, nuts and healthy fats. And no processed foods. Now i'm no Primal or Paleo nut like most of them... but I don't eat grains save for rice and I eat organic and non-processed... I feel great... it simply works for me. Lots more professional athletes are limiting or cutting grains from their diets every year.

Even at the pro cycling level... Garmin|Cervelo
Old 12-12-11, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by wkg
It's called "Primal Blue Print". I have no idea what that means.
It means you buy the book, eat the recommended food, buy buckets of nutritional supplements to make up for what's missing from the recommended diet and try and figure out how to train without eating carbs.

For the OP: You could try bringing some dates on your ride. That's all I normally eat. It sounds primal but it's pretty much 100% evil carbs.
Old 12-12-11, 12:38 PM
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
For the OP: You could try bringing some dates on your ride. That's all I normally eat. It sounds primal but it's pretty much 100% evil carbs.
I would try to bring a date on my rides, but my wife would likely get mad.
Old 12-12-11, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It means you buy the book, eat the recommended food, buy buckets of nutritional supplements to make up for what's missing from the recommended diet and try and figure out how to train without eating carbs.

That's not it at all... carbs aren't bad on "Paleo" (god why must people design diets) it's grains. Vegetables have plenty of carbohydrates... but they also contain more vitamins and minerals and calories than grains without all the harmful inflammatory, "anti-nutrients"... gluten, lectins, and phytates.

Dates are great! I use them myself in the juicer and in smoothies. They're a nice simple carb boost when needed.
Old 12-12-11, 01:22 PM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnificent777
After watching a few documentries I found out that ...
Nowadays if you watch a few documentaries ("documentries") on any subject you are automatically an approved expert at the level of somebody who has a Bachelor's degree pertaining to that subject.

Five documentaries gets you the Master's degree.
Old 12-12-11, 01:38 PM
Descends like a rock

Originally Posted by wkg
Nowadays if you watch a few documentaries ("documentries") on any subject you are automatically an approved expert at the level of somebody who has a Bachelor's degree pertaining to that subject.

Five documentaries gets you the Master's degree.
Are Youtube videos good for an Associates?
Old 12-12-11, 01:42 PM
Descends like a rock

BTW - I'm not convinced that every anti-nutrient must be eliminated from our diet. Beans have them, as well as many other beneficial foods. Red wine, green tea and anything with tannins contain anti-nutrients and these have all been found to have age-increasing effects. Eliminating anti-nutrients is all the rage right now, but I'm not sure the jury is in yet on how hardcore we should be about them.
Old 12-12-11, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by snow blind
That's not it at all... carbs aren't bad on "Paleo" (god why must people design diets) it's grains. Vegetables have plenty of carbohydrates... but they also contain more vitamins and minerals and calories than grains without all the harmful inflammatory, "anti-nutrients"... gluten, lectins, and phytates.

Dates are great! I use them myself in the juicer and in smoothies. They're a nice simple carb boost when needed.
I suspect sugar is 'bad' on a paleo diet but as far as fuel for riding, sugar, dates or energy bars are pretty much all the same: they provide carbs.
Old 12-12-11, 01:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
BTW - I'm not convinced that every anti-nutrient must be eliminated from our diet. Beans have them, as well as many other beneficial foods. Red wine, green tea and anything with tannins contain anti-nutrients and these have all been found to have age-increasing effects. Eliminating anti-nutrients is all the rage right now, but I'm not sure the jury is in yet on how hardcore we should be about them.
Oh, I completely agree with you! And, like I said, I'm not a Paleo nut and more a believer in everything in moderation (besides gluten and most grains... me personally). The reason it is so easy for some to make the decision to eliminate wheat/gluten and most grains is because of a simple cost vs benefit comparison... total "costs" far outweighs the "benefits". A hypothetical pro cyclist could say: "Why would I eat grains when I can get all the carbohydrates I need from vegetables/greens fruits nuts and seeds... all of which will not negatively effect me like gluten and most grains will?" Meh, all comes down to personal preference. I generally think people would benefit more from fewer grains and processed foods and way more fresh, organic and whenever possible, raw veggies.

God my first day joined (years of stalking) and I sound like the health nazi... i'm done Need to get out of work and have a beer.
Old 12-12-11, 01:59 PM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does gluten negatively affect me?
Old 12-12-11, 02:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suspect sugar is 'bad' on a paleo diet but as far as fuel for riding, sugar, dates or energy bars are pretty much all the same: they provide carbs.
According to "the Paleo thing" sugars are n't considered "bad". I'm with you in that sugar is sugar... but only when simply comparing glucose... not the associated "friends" different foods bring to the party. This is the "paleo pyramid" or something or other...
Old 12-12-11, 02:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wkg
How does gluten negatively affect me?
Gluten (generally) has been found to be inflammatory which does more harm than good... grains do little in the way of being "good for us". They contain little vitamin and mineral content can limit (slow drastically) nutrient absorption in their un-sprouted form (the phytates in them). Some are more sensitive to the inflammation than others. Don't get me wrong, I'm no preacher... i seriously think the whole strict Paleo thing is ridiculous. There has been TONS of research on the topic and you can find many studies on the web.
Old 12-12-11, 02:19 PM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm not just going to do a google search to read about this I want my information here and now and I want you to tell me it.

As far as I know I am not experiencing any inflaming due to gluten consumption. How would I know if the inflammation is occurring?
Old 12-12-11, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wkg
Well I'm not just going to do a google search to read about this I want my information here and now and I want you to tell me it.

As far as I know I am not experiencing any inflaming due to gluten consumption. How would I know if the inflammation is occurring?
Right... okkkkk.

Easiest way to tell... top eating grains for a few weeks. Cut them ALL out. Replace those calories with dark leafy greens, other veggies and fruit. See how you feel. I can almost guarantee you'll feel much better and your blood sugar will be more stable also.
Old 12-12-11, 02:23 PM
Descends like a rock

I generally think people would benefit more from fewer grains and processed foods and way more fresh, organic and whenever possible, raw veggies.
Cant argue with that.
Old 12-12-11, 02:31 PM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right... okkkkk.

Easiest way to tell... top eating grains for a few weeks. Cut them ALL out. Replace those calories with dark leafy greens, other veggies and fruit. See how you feel. I can almost guarantee you'll feel much better and your blood sugar will be more stable also.
Sounds like a placebo effect.

When you say inflammation due to gluten, what part of the human anatomy in specific is inflamed?
Old 12-12-11, 02:49 PM
Scarlet Knight

Originally Posted by wkg

When you say inflammation due to gluten, what part of the human anatomy in specific is inflamed?
the humours
Old 12-12-11, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wkg

Cool. That's your opinion and you're very much entitled to it.

You body will make prostaglandins (inflammatory chemicals) throughout the body. These chemicals create inflammation in your stomach/intestines, heart, brain, joints etc. That is why gluten has evidence to possibly link it to many other diseases and conditions. IDK if your're playing devil's advocate... but really, if you're concerned, interested... or whatever else the case may be... I suggest you start with some Journals and studies online etc. Here's a good quick article from the Huff. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_379089.html
Old 12-12-11, 03:05 PM
wkg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. That's your opinion and you're very much entitled to it.

You body will make prostaglandins (inflammatory chemicals) throughout the body. These chemicals create inflammation in your stomach/intestines, heart, brain, joints etc. That is why gluten has evidence to possibly link it to many other diseases and conditions. IDK if your're playing devil's advocate... but really, if you're concerned, interested... or whatever else the case may be... I suggest you start with some Journals and studies online etc. Here's a good quick article from the Huff. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_379089.html
I like how you linked to an article on the Huffington Post. Very reassuring.

Prostaglandins are not "inflammatory chemicals". Prostaglandin is a hormone. There are different types prostaglandin and they cause a huge variety of responses (not just inflammation, some do they exact opposite).
Old 12-12-11, 03:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wkg
I like how you linked to an article on the Huffington Post. Very reassuring.

Prostaglandins are not "inflammatory chemicals". Prostaglandin is a hormone. There are different types prostaglandin and they cause a huge variety of responses (not just inflammation, some do they exact opposite).
You're correct about everything you've said. And so was I. What's your point? I do honestly apologize for my use of "chemical" and not "hormone"... it's not like hormones are made up of cheica... er, wait? Chemicals -> lipids -> Prostaglandins. Chemicals are not lipids or prostaglandins but both the latter are chemicals. Correct, they can be anti-inflammatory as well. Guess which are more present after gluten consumption? Well obvious troll... it's been fun. We should pick this up again later... I've got a few miles to do.
Old 12-12-11, 04:01 PM
Scarlet Knight

You're correct about everything you've said. And so was I. What's your point? I do honestly apologize for my use of "chemical" and not "hormone"... it's not like hormones are made up of cheica... er, wait? Chemicals -> lipids -> Prostaglandins. Chemicals are not lipids or prostaglandins but both the latter are chemicals. Correct, they can be anti-inflammatory as well. Guess which are more present after gluten consumption? Well obvious troll... it's been fun. We should pick this up again later... I've got a few miles to do.
I don't know, which ones? Assuming of course the consumer is NOT suffering from sprue?
Old 12-12-11, 04:06 PM
Descends like a rock

Originally Posted by RUOkie
I don't know, which ones? Assuming of course the consumer is NOT suffering from sprue?
That's the problem I see with all the gluten hand-wringing. Its bad news for Celiacs and a few others who are sensitive, but not full-blown Celiac. I dont see much concern for those that dont have these issues. Of course, I guess the question is who do you know if you are sensitive or not. Celiac disease is likely under-diagnosed, but we are still talking about less than 1% of the populatioin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.