Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Big News out of Austin, TX today. Armstrong just banned from all sanctioned comp....

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Big News out of Austin, TX today. Armstrong just banned from all sanctioned comp....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 12:32 PM

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50, Single speed Centurion Lemans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a cycling fan, I want to believe that a man can come back from cancer and dominate the sport for years to come. It makes for a good All-American story complete with overcoming the odds and not letting an obstacle take you down.

As a human, I do feel that Armstrong did dope along with the rest of the field and the fact that he let no one touch him to me shows he had superior talent and a dedicated team, even though that dedication may have been more forced than earned. Nonetheless, he doped and most likely the USADA will find him guilty. I am a little puzzled on why we just punish the riders when we should also be looking to those in charge within the UCI that took the donations from Armstrong and the possibility that they could of covered up positive tests. I feel the UCI officials who were involved with the donation acceptance and the cover up should be investigated as well. It seems only a small amount of the guilty parties are being punished.
Old 07-03-12, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ramuntxo
As a cycling fan, I want to believe that a man can come back from cancer and dominate the sport for years to come. It makes for a good All-American story complete with overcoming the odds and not letting an obstacle take you down.

As a human, I do feel that Armstrong did dope along with the rest of the field and the fact that he let no one touch him to me shows he had superior talent and a dedicated team, even though that dedication may have been more forced than earned. Nonetheless, he doped and most likely the USADA will find him guilty. I am a little puzzled on why we just punish the riders when we should also be looking to those in charge within the UCI that took the donations from Armstrong and the possibility that they could of covered up positive tests. I feel the UCI officials who were involved with the donation acceptance and the cover up should be investigated as well. It seems only a small amount of the guilty parties are being punished.
The USADA also charged Bruyneel and others. I don't think we've heard the last about the UCI. If the charges against Lance are proven, there could be another investigation into the UCI -- who knows?
Old 07-03-12, 06:33 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You want him to come up with a new truth?
LOL, no, I guess his constant denial is something he's obviously sticking to.
Old 07-03-12, 06:37 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, this is always my hanging point. On the one hand, I'm pretty sure he doped, but beat a field of dopers, so either he was getting better drugs or was just able to out-compete, and, if that's the case, he earned what he got.

On the other hand, he's come off as a real dick since then and lost a lot of my sympathy and I'd sort of like to see him get justice served to him (not that that's worth anything).

That, and I'd like to see the sport cleaned up and that requires a major housecleaning.

But he did accomplish an impressive feat, and do we really have to tear down all the heroes to clean up the sport? Will the housecleaning required mean that americans care even less about it than they do now?

Tough questions.
Thats been a huge reason why I've never felt he was clean. he's had this arrogance about him, almost to the point of saying "yeah, I did it, and will get away with it too, so what, I dare you to come after me". I will again say that had he just come out and admitted it, we wouldnt be where this is now.
Old 07-03-12, 06:39 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
The USADA also charged Bruyneel and others. I don't think we've heard the last about the UCI. If the charges against Lance are proven, there could be another investigation into the UCI -- who knows?

This. Makes sense, as UCI is just as crooked asit seems Lance is. if nothing else, the head of UCI should be gone. This is going to take down a bunch of folks IMO.
Old 07-03-12, 06:45 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the other hand, he's come off as a real dick since then and lost a lot of my sympathy and I'd sort of like to see him get justice served to him (not that that's worth anything).
Thats been a huge reason why I've never felt he was clean. he's had this arrogance about him, almost to the point of saying "yeah, I did it, and will get away with it too, so what, I dare you to come after me". I will again say that had he just come out and admitted it, we wouldnt be where this is now.

That, and I'd like to see the sport cleaned up and that requires a major housecleaning.
Agreed, if it means Lance gets taken down in the process, then so be it. lets get back to clean racing,bc now it's almost as if we have to question anyone who wins anything nowadays. if Cadel wins again, there'll almost certainly be talk of doping I bet, watch. Shame too, bc i honestly feel he's clean.

But he did accomplish an impressive feat, and do we really have to tear down all the heroes to clean up the sport?

Under a HUGE cloud of suspicion, so he didnt really accomplish much, cept for cheating to accomplish what you said.

Will the housecleaning required mean that americans care even less about it than they do now?
I care, I love the sport. But i want them to be clean, and liars/cheaters/dopers(whoever they may be) should get popped for what theyve done, IMO.
Old 07-05-12, 01:23 AM

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/repo...inst-armstrong

These guys are all obviously lying cheats like Floyd Landis trying to sully the name of this amazing athlete who single-handedly bought pro cycling to the USA.

Happy 4th of July everyone! USA is #1!
Or 26.
Old 07-05-12, 02:50 AM
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepy

These guys are all obviously lying cheats like Floyd Landis
Obvious because they seemingly have admitted to being lying "cheats."
Old 07-05-12, 05:31 AM

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Bianchi mongrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's over. It's finally over. Et tu George?
Old 07-05-12, 06:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampDude
I'm not an Armstrong fan or a hater. I just get uncomfortable when the sentiment seems to be guilty until proven innocent. Or, everybody else did it, so he must have done it. Saying he is guilty because of the absence of compelling proof of innocence seems like pretty flimsy grounds for stripping away the victories.
There is no such sentiment. Instead, there is a lot of evidence that Armstrong doped. Sure it needs to be weighed, but the odds are against Armstrong that this will result in something in his favour. Personally I see why a review of the available facts would lead to the conclusion that Armstrong doped.

If people started accusing Peter Sagan, that would be an example of 'guilty because of the absence of compelling proof of innocence,' and it would be a fallacy to accuse him. This is not the case with Lance Armstrong, against whom there are multiple lines of evidence, including several witnesses.
Old 07-05-12, 10:01 AM
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing Armstrong wishes he gave into Landis' bribery demand back in '10.
Old 07-05-12, 10:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The news out this morning about Cyclists testifying against Lance can't be good. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/...705-21jnl.html
Old 07-05-12, 10:37 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These guys are all obviously lying cheats like Floyd Landis trying to sully the name of this amazing athlete who single-handedly bought pro cycling to the USA.

Or 26.

Greg Lemond/Davis Phinney and the ENTIRE 7 11 RACING TEAM SAY HELLO.
Old 07-05-12, 10:39 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
I'm guessing Armstrong wishes he gave into Landis' bribery demand back in '10.

Im guessing you're correct. Looks like Lance's years of bribery to folks wont be paying off for him this time?
Old 07-05-12, 10:41 AM
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No matter.

Lance is still the greatest American cyclist ever.
Old 07-05-12, 10:44 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjh365
The news out this morning about Cyclists testifying against Lance can't be good. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/...705-21jnl.html
Saw that on my phone today....they all claim they know nothing about any suspensions, and that the reports are false. Looks like some folks have learned ALOT from their hero Lance, deny deny deny. Lost ALOT of respect for Levi too, finally admitting he doped(there were always questions in my mind whether he did ir didn't, this confirms it). Hincapie is such a flip flopper..... I hope they ALL go down.
Old 07-05-12, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Or 26.
I agree that Lance is due some credit, in spite of his current difficulties, however to say that he "single-handedly bought pro cycling to the USA" is a bit of a stretch -- at best. There were a number of US riders that paved the way for him.
Old 07-05-12, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I think the whole timing of theses accusations is a PR move by the USADA. Just before Ironman and during TdF. Why else would you come up with accusations publicly before you are ready if not for pure publicity. I am more interested in comments from Jens than legal mumbo jumbo releases from the USADA
Old 07-05-12, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3393 Post(s)
Liked 5,577 Times in 2,894 Posts
Now that right there is funny!
Old 07-05-12, 11:58 AM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like the witnesses are getting a pretty good deal, especially Hincapie. They're doing what they can to let him ride his record-breaking TDF and then he'll serve a meaningless 6-month suspension after he's retired. I guess that just shows how reluctant these guys would be to talk unless they can get off virtually scott free.
Old 07-05-12, 12:28 PM

Bikes: PedalForce CG1 (the race/century bike), PedalForce RS (the trainer), Eighth Inch SS (the fixie), Flyte SRS-3 (the beater), Caloi Strada Pro (the commuter), Oddball Alu MTB (the tank), Trek 850 (the MTB SS)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Or 26.
I think Sleepy was being facetious (I hope so anyway).
Old 07-05-12, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,821 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Seems like the witnesses are getting a pretty good deal, especially Hincapie. They're doing what they can to let him ride his record-breaking TDF and then he'll serve a meaningless 6-month suspension after he's retired. I guess that just shows how reluctant these guys would be to talk unless they can get off virtually scott free.
Sounds like they all get off pretty light in exchange for flipping on the big target.

Old 07-05-12, 01:12 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The report about witness' and 6 month suspensions originated in a Dutch newspaper. Have no idea
who their sources are etc. Something sounds bogus here to me.
If I were Lance and this were true ( 6 month suspension, immunity etc.) I'd be screaming bloody murder
and, it would only confirm his statements that WADA/USADA etc. are out to get him. Either they're all
guilty or they're all innocent there is not grey area in this.
Lemondfanforever, throwing the baby out with the bathwater? If I read you correctly
everyone since Greg is a doper, or a suspected doper.
I suggest you read Breaking the Chain by Willie Voet
and Dog in a Hat by Joe Parkin to get a better idea of doping in the
pre and post Lemond era.
give you a little hint, nobody's clean.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 07-05-12, 01:40 PM

Uh oh, don't get him started implying that Lemond might not have a lily white perfect soul either. But yeah, the fact that it was only reported in the one dutch paper and everyone else is just reporting that this paper is reporting it to cover their asses might mean it's all not quite what they say it is.

Old 07-05-12, 01:41 PM

By the way, I really enjoyed Dog in a Hat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.