Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1937 Raleigh Found, But What Model?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1937 Raleigh Found, But What Model?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know this is a bit of a thread Resurrection, but thought I'd update the thread and show you what I've done with the bike since I still have it

Here's how she stands at the moment:

As you can see I stripped it back to bare metal and got rid of the white paint off of everything else!
There's no pics but I was riding it like this along with the bare-metal chain case and it's really fun to ride. Gets lots of attention!

As you can see I've gone for a bit of a hot rod theme with some little changes here and there, like relocating the lamp lower down onto the mudguard. Also from the previous pic I've ditched the dynamo system and relocated the original rear light to in between the chainstays.

I put the Brooks on one of those old 'gallows' type seat pins but flipped it to get the seating position low.

And I whitewalled the tyres that it came with as a stop gap, found a pair of old moulded plastic grips in my LBS, and added a bell.

It's currently off the road for the bottom bracket repair it's always needed.
The bottom bracket's threaded section is a brass insert, but mine has broken in the middle and so the crank is free to move in and out.

The solution was to cut out the bottom bracket of my old Elswick Hopper which I was spectacularly binned off of by a taxi a few years ago (There was nothing straight on the bike left afterwards but I knew I could salvage something from it!)

I then took the diameter of the piece down until it could be tapped into the bottom bracket, then it can be plug welded or brazed in.
Once the bike is assembled I'm going to oil up the frame and press it into autumn city cruising duties

Unfortunately in the time it was off the road, someone managed to steal the chain case from my workshop
So now I need one of those, but I'm thinking of making my own as I like metal shaping.