Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-18, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Oh man, I'm stoked about this one. I've wanted a chrome 80's mountain bike as a city cruiser for a WHILE NOW. Pretty happy it's a local brand. It's in excellent shape, but I have a M730 group with wheels for it which will really kick it up a notch. Chrome fenders (suggestions?), DTH skinwalls, an old Brooks Pro, and either bullmose or klunker-style moto bars are all in it's future as well. This'll be the heavy-duty city bike and kid trailer hauler, new trailer for the kid = N+1 for me!

[IMG]Chrome Norco Yukon by tashipeacock1, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-17-18, 12:13 AM

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi
Oh man, I'm stoked about this one. I've wanted a chrome 80's mountain bike as a city cruiser for a WHILE NOW. Pretty happy it's a local brand. It's in excellent shape, but I have a M730 group with wheels for it which will really kick it up a notch. Chrome fenders (suggestions?), DTH skinwalls, an old Brooks Pro, and either bullmose or klunker-style moto bars are all in it's future as well. This'll be the heavy-duty city bike and kid trailer hauler, new trailer for the kid = N+1 for me!
Nice. exactly what I use mine for. best overall city bike and kid hauler one can find. I got this decent chro-mo trail a bike- even has 6 speed gearing- and my old stumpy sport is so much heaver than the trail-a-bike that the weight distribution works out pretty decent. before I had a lighter bike with a heaver trail-a-bike and... well.. its not good.
Old 04-18-18, 04:49 PM

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Finished my '95 today. Got rid of the stock Gripshifts and installed a pair of thumbies that I got from the Box of Crap. I hate Gripshifts.
Also installed a new stem that I painted and my trusty old Kalloy straightbar. This bike came with a high riser stem and a high handlebar. Tires are still the original Konas that have no cracks whatsoever and nubs on them.
DSC_9496 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 04-18-18, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Finished my '95 today. Got rid of the stock Gripshifts and installed a pair of thumbies that I got from the Box of Crap. I hate Gripshifts.
Also installed a new stem that I painted and my trusty old Kalloy straightbar. This bike came with a high riser stem and a high handlebar. Tires are still the original Konas that have no cracks whatsoever and nubs on them.
Loving the Kona. Just wanted to let you know that those Alivio cranks are under product recall https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1997/cp...cle-components
Old 04-18-18, 05:27 PM

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi

[IMG]Chrome Norco Yukon by tashipeacock1, on Flickr[/IMG]
VO stainless
https://velo-orange.com/collections/fenders
Old 04-18-18, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Clang
Loving the Kona. Just wanted to let you know that those Alivio cranks are under product recall https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1997/cp...cle-components
Thanks Clang and thanks for the heads-up. If that's the case I'll have to check MOST of my bikes! Do you think they'll still honor the recall?
Old 04-18-18, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Thanks Clang and thanks for the heads-up. If that's the case I'll have to check MOST of my bikes! Do you think they'll still honor the recall?
They do. They will send your LBS a kit that includes new BB, crankset, FD, and chain to replace your old stuff with.
Old 04-18-18, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
They do. They will send your LBS a kit that includes new BB, crankset, FD, and chain to replace your old stuff with.
Cool. Thanks!!
Old 04-19-18, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love it! I'm about to start putting a '93 Cinder Cone together as a first project. Nothing fancy, just starting low spec until I learn how to have nice things but I can't resist a Kona pre-97.
Old 04-19-18, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Milpool
Love it! I'm about to start putting a '93 Cinder Cone together as a first project. Nothing fancy, just starting low spec until I learn how to have nice things but I can't resist a Kona pre-97.
Thanks! You should start a thread on your project. Would love to check it out.
Old 04-22-18, 05:28 PM

Bikes: fuji finest, klien pinacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
With the exception of tires nd chain it’s as raced by the P.O. I did a couple races. He set it up with a short cage 600 and I saw no need to change it at the time. S.E Michigan who needed big gears???? It’s and 89’ I purchased it in 90’ as it sits 26lbs 1oz (Berkeley fish scale)

One of these day I have to get Klein mission control for it....
Tony
Old 04-23-18, 03:49 AM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
In 1983 I asked Tom Ritchey to do a custom Annapurna for me ...
Mmmm. Don't see those very often. Nice. And, amazingly functional.

Ritchey sure did 'em right, in the early days of MTB's.
Old 04-23-18, 07:25 AM
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 132 Posts
About as vintage as you can get. In 1979 one of the first Ritchey mountain bikes that Gary Fisher and I sold went to my uncle, who took it all over the world to job sites when he worked for a big engineering firm. When I told him how "collectible" it was, he asked me to facilitate putting it into the hands of someone who would appreciate it.

That person turned out to be former MTB World Champion Thomas Frischkenecht, who traded one of his race bikes for it. After 20 years in Switzerland it returned to the United States when Thomas brought it to be displayed at the Captain and Stoker coffee house in Monterey, where a number of Tom's tandems are the decor.

So we posed with the bike, myself, Thomas, Tom Ritchey and Joe Breeze.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9596.JPG (120.9 KB, 861 views)
Old 04-23-18, 08:10 AM

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
About as vintage as you can get. In 1979 one of the first Ritchey mountain bikes that Gary Fisher and I sold went to my uncle, who took it all over the world to job sites when he worked for a big engineering firm. When I told him how "collectible" it was, he asked me to facilitate putting it into the hands of someone who would appreciate it.

That person turned out to be former MTB World Champion Thomas Frischkenecht, who traded one of his race bikes for it. After 20 years in Switzerland it returned to the United States when Thomas brought it to be displayed at the Captain and Stoker coffee house in Monterey, where a number of Tom's tandems are the decor.

Who do we ask for a "Like" button around here? That was mighty generous of your uncle, and what a crew pictured.
Likes For Ballenxj:
Old 04-23-18, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Sri Krsnadread
Frame GT Zaskar LE 1993 ( if I'm not mistaking, origanal decals were defferint)
xtr m900 rear and front derailleurs
xtr seat post
tune hubs with ritchey wcs rims
pace air force fork
blackspire crankset
chris king headset
avid arch ultimate v brakeset
nokon outher brake and shift cables
kore stem
shimano deore lx shifters ( xt thumbshifters optional)
lots of cnc green anodized bolts from srp etc etc
ringle skewers
selle italia flite titanium
Oh man that's a nice lookng bike. Just gorgeous. So much details!
Old 04-23-18, 04:28 PM

Legends.
Old 04-23-18, 05:12 PM
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I took the '83 Schwinn Sierra on a cruise downtown to do some errands. All about that Forgotten Coast aesthetic.

Old 04-24-18, 11:01 AM

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Honestly, after seeing some of the amazing bikes here, I'm kind of embarrassed to show some of the ones I come up with.
They're always well used, and always a project - But I tell myself they all have potential, and I can keep busy, for years to come .

Anyway, the end of last week, I took a drive to pick up this, - It was only 45 bucks, and didn't look all that bad:
'93 Hardrock -
hardrock.jpg

Well, I got there, and was met by an interesting and pretty bike-savvy Brit, named Nigel.
My first impression was that he seemed an OK sort of guy, BUT, he turned out to be an enabler of the worst kind ..........
Nigel sez to me - "You said you like old mountain bikes, so I thought maybe you'd like to see THIS also" :
'91 RockHopper -
rockhopper.jpg

So for only an extra $65, I came away with 2 bikes, both Specialized, both grey, both in my size ! What are the odds?
Maybe with someone like Nigel, pretty good
Now I need to decide if I like grey ...........

Last edited by mixteup; 04-24-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
Honestly, after seeing some of the amazing bikes here, I'm kind of embarrassed to show some of the ones I come up with.
They're always well used, and always a project - But I tell myself they all have potential, and I can keep busy, for years to come .

Anyway, the end of last week, I took a drive to pick up this, - It was only 45 bucks, and didn't look all that bad:
"93 Hardrock -
Attachment 608879

Well, I got there, and was met by an interesting and pretty bike-savvy Brit, named Nigel.
My first impression was that he seemed an OK sort of guy, BUT, he turned out to be an enabler of the worst kind ..........
Nigel sez to me - "You said you like old mountain bikes, so I thought maybe you'd like to see THIS also" :
"91 RockHopper -
Attachment 608880

So for only an extra $65, I came away with 2 bikes, both Specialized, both grey, both in my size ! What are the odds?
VERY COOL!!!!
Old 04-24-18, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mixteup

"93 Hardrock -
Attachment 608879

"91 RockHopper -
Attachment 608880

Nice finds! Start some build threads for them !
Old 04-24-18, 03:03 PM

yeah- I just picked one of those up myself:

its a huge mess and needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt. A friend of mine is looking for his son though, and it shoudl fit- so gonna give it a go. see how messed up it really is! on the plus side, it was free.

then I got curious and found this and gave him an email. $20 and looks like much better shape! the script is really hard to read but it looks like it says "Rockhopper".. which would be a nice find!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik...568614442.html

Last edited by jetboy; 04-24-18 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good score! That rockhopper is super cool.

I need to find some reasonably (read cheap) xt m73 series stuff to get my Kona started. Lots of cool.bikes here making me jealous.
Old 04-24-18, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jetboy
then I got curious and found this and gave him an email. $20 and looks like much better shape! the script is really hard to read but it looks like it says "Rockhopper".. which would be a nice find!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik...568614442.html
I've been emailing this guy since day 1 but no replies. I hope you have better luck!
Old 04-24-18, 04:52 PM

I've been emailing this guy since day 1 but no replies. I hope you have better luck!
well I wont hold my breath then!
Old 04-25-18, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks.
at first I had a set of spinergy carbon 4 spoke wheelset in them,
but had doubts about the quality. also changed a set of magura hs 33 olympia gold for the avid rivals ultimate. next change will be a set of more road friendly schwalbe table top skinwall tires in 2.35 I hope.

Gr. Sri Krsnadread

Originally Posted by rseeker
Oh man that's a nice lookng bike. Just gorgeous. So much details!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.