Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

loose fit jersey

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12197 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
I wonder what Len wound up getting.
Old 08-29-16, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
All I wear are loose fit quick dry white T's. Not to hide the moobs or gut, but because they are comfortable and keep me cool.
i prefer running singlets but those pockets are damn handy
Old 08-30-16, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYNurse
You and I are close to the same dimensions so here's my 2 cents;
Nobody cares how your shirt fits except you.
There are a lot of people bigger then us and we aren't laughing at them. Nobody else is either.
Buy the shirt you like, get on the bike and enjoy the ride.
This makes so much sense.

I never ever looked at what another rider is wearing. I look at riders and if I notice anything it's their Cadence and how often they stop pedaling.
Old 08-30-16, 10:19 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Reef
Performance's store brand cheaper jerseys are rather baggy and cheap.
This, and the Nishiki brand that Dicks Sporting Goods sells. I really like the Nishikis, with the exception of the pockets on the back they look just like a golf polo. Nice and understated if you are going into a bar or cafe on your ride.

I didn't personally find the REI Novaras to be that loose. They fit fine around my shoulders (which aren't really that fat), but cling to my belly quite well.
Old 08-30-16, 10:33 AM

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Pockets in the rear are a requirement for me.

As for loose fitting jerseys... go to your LBS and try on some? I've found that some of the more mountain biking orientated clothing has a looser fit. I've got a few Cannondale jerseys for example that fit like T-shirts, but still have the pockets on the back. They didn't cost more any more than $30 from the sale rack.
Old 08-30-16, 11:54 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Oh, you may give Sugoi a try too, I have one from a brewery that fits fairly well.
Old 08-30-16, 01:28 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mod Note: Offensive posts and those quoting them have been deleted. This is the C/A. That stuff doesn't fly here.
Old 08-30-16, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are jerseys really all that necessary? I usually just wear a tshirt. What would the benefits be of a jersey?
Old 08-30-16, 01:56 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
sierratradingpost is a great place to buy lightweight merino and terramar tee shirts, which make great loose fitting jerseys
get good at using your coupons there
Old 08-30-16, 02:12 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by CosmicF
Are jerseys really all that necessary? I usually just wear a tshirt. What would the benefits be of a jersey?
Most jerseys have an elastic waist band so the jersey won't fly up or flap around in the wind. Some also have elastic on the sleeves for the same reason. Zipper to help with the heat, but can be zipped up if it gets a little cooler. Back pockets to hold ID, phone, snacks or even tools. Jerseys are made of technical fabric to wick sweat away from the skin. (some T shirts are also made of technical fabric, but cotton can get soaked with sweat and becomes uncomfortable.
Old 08-31-16, 06:42 AM

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

If by T-Shirt you mean a cotton one, then the advantages are clear, if you sweat anything like I do at least. Close fitting wicking material will keep you cool as the sweat will evaporate easily off you while you're riding. Cloths that flap in the wind are generally uncomfortable for long rides too. I tend to wear stuff that is unflattering for someone of my size, but I don't care because it's most comfortable.

Rear jersey pockets, they're one of those "once you've tried them you can't go back" things. They're just the most convenient place to put stuff like Clif bars, cell phones for easy access when riding.

I guess it depends on what sort of riding you do. If you're going out for 10 miles, then a regular tech T-shirt is fine. If regularly ride > 1 hour, I think the benefits become obvious.

The costs obviously can be high, much like everything in cycling, but you can find decent jerseys out there for cheap. I've got ones I paid $15, and ones I paid $100 for.
Old 08-31-16, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I don't wear bike jerseys or need pockets. Commuting or mt biking mostly. I like performance wicking shirts, poly pro or merino wool. Mostly long sleeve. REI stuff works well. Most bike " stuff" is made for skinny Euro guys who weight 150 lbs. That is so not me. Found some marketing genius shirts at Patagonia, great wool shirts that work very well. The size was " XXL slim fit" At 6'4" and 230 lbs, they fit my long arms and torso great.
Old 08-31-16, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by NYSteve
This makes so much sense.

I never ever looked at what another rider is wearing. I look at riders and if I notice anything it's their Cadence and how often they stop pedaling.
This is the best advice. In fact, the only thing people may notice is the print/design/colors of the jersey. So,.....find one that matches your personality and get out there. Solid, leopard print, skeletons, kittens, unicorns, etc. it just doesn't matter.
Old 08-31-16, 08:10 AM

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to some of the suggestions for a jersey already mentioned, consider Voler as they offer what they call a "club fit" which is a looser fit than a traditional race jersey. Their products seem to run true to size, so take it from there as to what might work for you.
Old 08-31-16, 09:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If by T-Shirt you mean a cotton one, then the advantages are clear, if you sweat anything like I do at least. Close fitting wicking material will keep you cool as the sweat will evaporate easily off you while you're riding. Cloths that flap in the wind are generally uncomfortable for long rides too. I tend to wear stuff that is unflattering for someone of my size, but I don't care because it's most comfortable.
Ahh, I tried a few of those polyester-like shirts a few years ago, but in 98% humidity Alabama, anything I wear gets wringing wet and stays that way, because evaporation is not gonna happen. It didn't help me stay cool, and just kept a body odor smell no matter how many times I washed it.
I need to visit and ride somewhere like you guys live, where things evaporate, and try out one of those jerseys.
Old 08-31-16, 09:32 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes1
In addition to some of the suggestions for a jersey already mentioned, consider Voler as they offer what they call a "club fit" which is a looser fit than a traditional race jersey. Their products seem to run true to size, so take it from there as to what might work for you.
My experience with Voler has been different. In my experience, Even the club cut for this brand runs small. My experience is the following from biggest to smallest. I weigh around 270 so take my experience fwiw.

Bontrager Solstice (2 XL baggy, XL fits regular)
Nashbar. (2 XL fits regular, XL is tight)
Pearl Izumi (2XL fits snug, XL very tight)
Primal (3XL fits snug)
Twin Six (3XL very snug)
Old 08-31-16, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MRT2
My experience with Voler has been different. In my experience, Even the club cut for this brand runs small. My experience is the following from biggest to smallest. I weigh around 270 so take my experience fwiw.
I agree. I recently got a Voler 2XL "club fit" jersey, and it's skin tight on me. It's OK, because I don't have an issue with it being skin tight, but the only baggy part of it are the arms.

Other 2XL jerseys I own like Pearl Izumi select and Cannondale ones are fairly loose in comparison. The only jerseys that I own that is tighter than the Voler one are my Garneau jerseys.
Old 09-01-16, 01:37 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Actually this is why I got into cycling. Last summer I noticed that all my T-shirts were starting to get tight, and I became self-conscious about how I looked. Pulled the bathroom scales out of the closet and was shocked to see that I weighed 280 on them, so pulled my old mountain bike out of the shed, cleaned it up, and started riding. Didn't lose much weight until I changed my diet. Now, happy to say, with a new bike and new diet, I'm 30 lbs lighter, my shirts all fit, but my pants don't seeing as how I've gone from coming close to needing size 44's to back to 38's.

All I can say is keep at the riding, watch what you eat, and you'll lose that gut and moobs.
Old 09-01-16, 02:50 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Didn't lose much weight until I changed my diet. Now, happy to say, with a new bike and new diet, I'm 30 lbs lighter, my shirts all fit, but my pants don't seeing as how I've gone from coming close to needing size 44's to back to 38's.

All I can say is keep at the riding, watch what you eat, and you'll lose that gut and moobs.
A couple of sayings that pop up around here are:

1) You can't out-ride a bad diet

and

2) Ride for health. Diet for weight loss.

#2 is not a black and white thing, but many, many people have proven #1!
Old 09-01-16, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe

and

I agree 100%. I started riding last August to get into shape, but I wasn't losing any weight at all until April when I learned that dietary fat isn't the culprit keeping people fat, but sugar. I cut sugar out of my diet and it made a world of difference, dropped a lot of weight quickly. Now I'm trying to cut out carbs but it's not easy. But I keep getting on the bike every morning just to maintain my health, mainly getting some cardio.
Old 09-03-16, 10:34 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
6', 250, I also have some moobage, and I'd say I go beyond 'love handles' to 'sweet sweet eternal throes of passion anchors'. I almost never wear jerseys because I don't like fabric squeezing me and riding up. I do have a mtb jersey I like ok, it's probably a size too big according to most people's standards. Even that I don't wear much, usually I just wear a synthetic tee.

I'm the same way with just regular T-shirts off the bike; I am very uncomfortable if the shirt is at all snug, I choose to wear shirts that flap loosely.

Wear what's comfortable! Ain't neither one of us gonna be winning any races because our clothes are so aero
Old 09-06-16, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get a jersey that has a pattern, and look for one with the silicone grippers around the waist.
Old 09-06-16, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I ride mostly with road jerseys, sleeveless ones so I can show off the guns. But I do have a single mountain bike jersey because it is the only one that I could find with a full zipper. I like the full zip jerseys to keep me cool. What I don't like about the MTB Jersey is the lack of rear pockets. I don't use the pocket for much but it is a convenient place to put the phone and keys while I'm getting organized. I normally keep the phone in a feed bag and keys and wallet in a different bag. I don't keep these in the shirt pockets because I don't want them getting sweaty.
Old 09-07-16, 08:00 PM

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for me- I want bright colors for visibility - great wicking as it get hot in Kentucky - and pockets for stuff (ID, money, keys, ...
Old 09-09-16, 10:11 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe

and

#2 is not a black and white thing, but many, many people have proven #1!
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I agree 100%. I started riding last August to get into shape, but I wasn't losing any weight at all until April when I learned that dietary fat isn't the culprit keeping people fat, but sugar. I cut sugar out of my diet and it made a world of difference, dropped a lot of weight quickly. Now I'm trying to cut out carbs but it's not easy. But I keep getting on the bike every morning just to maintain my health, mainly getting some cardio.
Absolutely x100.

I agree 100% about the sugar being the biggest culprit as well. I can't keep out of the sugar.

I weigh 220 lb. I weighed 220 lb last year. I weighed 220 lb the year before. 3 years ago, I weighed 247 and didn't cycle and ate a lot more calories than I do now. Initial weight loss was from cutting out sugar, but now I'm back addicted to sugar and don't lose weight.

Fitness on the other hand... 3 years ago when I started my goal was about 50 miles a week riding 10-12 per day 4 or 5 days a week. 12 miles was about my limit. The next year was about 15 miles a day limited by my saddle. Last year I could ride 20-30 miles. This year, I'm upset if I don't get out and ride at least a 60 mile once on the weekends (I use to say I don't care to ride goals like 50 miles, metric century, or a century. Now I do, I need to ride a century.)

Blood pressure had always been borderline high at 149/95. Because of cycling, it's 122/78. Triglycerides were what I thought was extremely high, at least until others at work had told me theirs, at 475. Now, my triglyceride count is 189. Cholesterol was around 250. Now it is 186. Blood glucose was around 218 I think. Now it is close to 100. All of this is from cycling because I still eat horribly, which is why the weight has stayed at 220 for the past 2 years.

I personally do not thing the blood numbers has anything to do with eating at all. It is naturally what it is going to be unless you exercise. I have 1 guy at work with perfect numbers who sits and eats 2 bacon and sausage sandwiches every day for breakfast at 290 lb while another coworker who is 160 lb and micromanages everything he eats eating nothing but pure low cholesterol stuff like salads, tuna fish, and lean chicken breast and spends 4 hours a day in the gym who's cholesterol is through the roof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.