Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Today I did my first ride in bib shorts! Finally no more numbness in the saddle area .

Dave
Old 12-23-18, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

Old 12-24-18, 12:29 AM
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Today I did my first ride in bib shorts! Finally no more numbness in the saddle area .

Dave
Haha I remember my first ride with bibs. Relevant:

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 12-24-18, 11:55 PM
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Today I went over to my buddies shop and he showed me how to lace my rear wheel! I’m happy with how it turned out. Looks tuff as, even with pink nipples . I originally was looking at black spokes, but he was out of them so we went with silver. I think it actually looks better with the silver hub. My new sugino 75’s will be silver as well, with a black F5 lattice chainring, which will help tie it together even more so! I borrowed the Sram s300 from my kilo because I wanted to get an early Xmas ride in tomorrow. The kilo is getting a new wheelset next week too. Few more things to button up tomorrow morning, but got all the main stuff tightened up tonight:
Old 12-26-18, 04:28 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 3,185 Times in 1,676 Posts
nice craftsmanship as per usual @mouse
Old 12-26-18, 05:16 PM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
@mouse, you're doing a lot of cool stuff. I think it's great that you build stuff yourself instead of just buying everything off the shelf. I try to do the same, within the bounds of my skills and available equipment. It really makes the whole biking experience more rewarding, doesn't it?
Old 12-26-18, 05:45 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
nice craftsmanship as per usual @mouse
Thank you sir!!

Originally Posted by Broctoon
@mouse, you're doing a lot of cool stuff. I think it's great that you build stuff yourself instead of just buying everything off the shelf. I try to do the same, within the bounds of my skills and available equipment. It really makes the whole biking experience more rewarding, doesn't it?
Thanks! You're absolutely right! For me, half the fun of cycling is making parts and building bikes! That's where you can really make them your own and express your personality. It's probably why I (and probably most everyone here) enjoy anything custom, be it bicycles, motorcycles, cars, etc. It's fun to see and talk about what someone has done to their 'project'. It definitely makes bicycling more rewarding when you work on it yourself, and that can be on any level of wrenching!

Last edited by mouse; 12-26-18 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 05:51 PM
Not actually Tmonk

I kinda want to do the same with a TT bike, spend a lot of time sourcing cheap parts and make a project out of the build. If something needs repair, all the better. I want to start by getting a proper fitting session with a fitter in LA who will give you a range of frame dimensions that will work for your body instead of a bike shop fitter where the whole experience will be tilted towards purchasing one of their off the shelf products.

The race wheels will be expensive/no way around that but the rest of the bike should be do-able for pennies on the dime compared to purchasing a new TT bike, which is prohibitively expensive for me.

See below for a link of a thread like that from the Road Racing forum. This guy picked up a free frame with chipped/cracked carbon fiber and went as far as repairing the carbon himself!

Felt DA buildup
Old 12-26-18, 06:01 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I kinda want to do the same with a TT bike, spend a lot of time sourcing cheap parts and make a project out of the build. If something needs repair, all the better. I want to start by getting a proper fitting session with a fitter in LA who will give you a range of frame dimensions that will work for your body instead of a bike shop fitter where the whole experience will be tilted towards purchasing one of their off the shelf products.

The race wheels will be expensive/no way around that but the rest of the bike should be do-able for pennies on the dime compared to purchasing a new TT bike, which is prohibitively expensive for me.

See below for a link of a thread like that from the Road Racing forum. This guy picked up a free frame with chipped/cracked carbon fiber and went as far as repairing the carbon himself!

Felt DA buildup
Heck yeah man! That's where its at. You totally should, I'd subscribe
Old 12-26-18, 06:02 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Ha! Well maybe 2019 is the year to do it, just gotta start with that fitting session and then I'm off to the races (pun intended)
Old 12-26-18, 06:04 PM
Super-duper Genius

I want to start by getting a proper fitting session with a fitter in LA who will give you a range of frame dimensions that will work for your body
That's the only way to go about it when you're moving to TT. Those bikes are weird. The riding position--and therefore the frame geometry and many of the components--are not like any other bike. But you already knew this, and that's why you want to do it right.
Old 12-26-18, 06:15 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah, I appreciate the advice though. What I know is from reading, talking to teammates who do TT, and volunteering at the local TT series around here. So I don't have any actual experience.
Old 12-26-18, 06:17 PM
Not actually Tmonk

TT is a good time, much more low-key than mass start racing. No egos/attidues, low energy, everyone is just doing there own thing. At the Fiesta TT series I have literally started 13 year old girls on mountain bikes 30 seconds before state champs decked out with all the latest gear. It's a positive atmosphere and everyone gets cheered for.

I race 1-2 TT's per year as part of multi-day stage races, most notable Valley of the Sun in Southern Arizona. But I'm on my road bike which means that I am not at all in contention for the win of the stage, and therefore the overall. I'm there to race as a teammate and just experience it b/c stage races are a great experience. It's awesome to focus on nothing but bikes for three days with your buddies.

I've tooled around for 10 minutes at a time on TT bikes that belong to friends, and even with regular road kit and helmet those suckers MOVE. Once you turtle your head, drop your shoulders and get up towards threshold, the speed compared to a regular bike is astonishing and quite literally a blast.
Old 12-26-18, 11:49 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I finished up the bar ends for the new bike. Was. Little tough getting a good picture with poor lighting. They are identical even though they don’t look it from the picture. The clear I used seemed to dull the finish more than it did on the headset cap. I don’t think I got them hot enough either, after clear coat much more purple surfaced than the brilliant blue I like. Weird... I think I’ll take them down to bare Ti again and have a second go tomorrow.

Last edited by mouse; 12-27-18 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-27-18, 12:00 AM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
TT is a good time, much more low-key than mass start racing. No egos/attidues, low energy, everyone is just doing there own thing. At the Fiesta TT series I have literally started 13 year old girls on mountain bikes 30 seconds before state champs decked out with all the latest gear. It's a positive atmosphere and everyone gets cheered for.

I race 1-2 TT's per year as part of multi-day stage races, most notable Valley of the Sun in Southern Arizona. But I'm on my road bike which means that I am not at all in contention for the win of the stage, and therefore the overall. I'm there to race as a teammate and just experience it b/c stage races are a great experience. It's awesome to focus on nothing but bikes for three days with your buddies.

I've tooled around for 10 minutes at a time on TT bikes that belong to friends, and even with regular road kit and helmet those suckers MOVE. Once you turtle your head, drop your shoulders and get up towards threshold, the speed compared to a regular bike is astonishing and quite literally a blast.
You mentioned this when you stopped by the shop not long ago. The gentleman I purchased my tri spoke from is an avid TT racer and between talking to the two of you I’m eager to have a go for myself. The classes are all points based correct? It would be cool if they also had classes based on the type of bicycle, but I assume they don’t?
Also what’s the average TT race distance? Or does that vary based on skill level as well?
Old 12-27-18, 09:22 AM
Not actually Tmonk

All of that can vary quite greatly. A USA Cycling TT will be more formal in that it will be categorized by racing level (cat 1/2/3/4/5), gender, and age-grades. Sometimes that's it. Some local TT series (like the one in San Diego) aren't USAC sanctioned and have more interesting categories, like Merckx (no TT bikes allowed/drop bar only), tandem, and even TTT (3,4 or 5 man). Distances can vary as well but at San Diego they offer 20k (most popular) and a full 40k for those that are truly masochistic. Merckx could be the most interesting to you.

I'm not sure what the scene is like out in Az minus the VoS TT which is USAC and out in Phoenix. I'm not even sure if they let you register for the TT only versus the whole stage race which is expensive. Look into it and give it a whirl! It's all about personal improvements and personal bests. The best situation is you find a recurring series and each time you can try something a little different with equipment and pacing and see how it works for ya.
Old 12-28-18, 03:58 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All of that can vary quite greatly. A USA Cycling TT will be more formal in that it will be categorized by racing level (cat 1/2/3/4/5), gender, and age-grades. Sometimes that's it. Some local TT series (like the one in San Diego) aren't USAC sanctioned and have more interesting categories, like Merckx (no TT bikes allowed/drop bar only), tandem, and even TTT (3,4 or 5 man). Distances can vary as well but at San Diego they offer 20k (most popular) and a full 40k for those that are truly masochistic. Merckx could be the most interesting to you.

I'm not sure what the scene is like out in Az minus the VoS TT which is USAC and out in Phoenix. I'm not even sure if they let you register for the TT only versus the whole stage race which is expensive. Look into it and give it a whirl! It's all about personal improvements and personal bests. The best situation is you find a recurring series and each time you can try something a little different with equipment and pacing and see how it works for ya.
The Merckx sounds like my cup of tea indeed. I'll have to give the gentleman I mentioned before a buzz. He'd have more than enough information to throw at me for sure!
Old 12-28-18, 04:54 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
It is nice and sunny out today so I went for a short ride this morning to the local diner. My knee still feels funky but it's ok after getting warmed up.

I'm glad I got this townie rig rolling because chill is my top speed right now
Old 12-28-18, 05:53 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks great @hairnet

I'm not familiar with brooks saddles, did you drill the holes yourself?
Old 12-28-18, 07:01 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today I took apart a rear wheel to use the cheapy origin 8 hub on a different wheel build. I got this used from craigs and the cog was seized to one side of the hub. I tried everything in the arsenal, including penetrating catalyst, heat, cheater bars... even broke a chain whip trying to muscle this sucker off. Came down to using the dremel with a cut off.... took a while but finally its off and I can clean up the hub and start lacing. Fewf!

Last edited by mouse; 12-28-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-28-18, 07:05 PM
Fresh Garbage

^^^ Strong like bull!

Originally Posted by mouse
I'm not familiar with brooks saddles, did you drill the holes yourself?
The ones with springs come with the holes punched and tied. It helps keep the sides of the saddle from flaring out and the saddle from sagging. I've done it for people with old B17s that were sagging and flaring, seems to help well enough.
Old 12-28-18, 07:20 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
^^^ Strong like bull!

The ones with springs come with the holes punched and tied. It helps keep the sides of the saddle from flaring out and the saddle from sagging. I've done it for people with old B17s that were sagging and flaring, seems to help well enough.
I think the little 15t cog knew I would never use it on a bike if it came off so it fought me to stay on. lil' bugger! lol

That's cool, Makes sense. There are a lot of those tired, old, saggy saddles here in southern AZ. lol! I had a b17 years ago (only brooks I've personally owned) but I really liked the swift. My father is a skilled knife maker, and his sheaths are quite beautiful too. With his help I trimmed and conditioned my brooks b17 to mimic the swift. Wish I had that saddle still, not to use, but for the nostalgia of working with Dad.

Anywhoo, beautiful townie! Looks comfy and fun
Old 12-28-18, 07:20 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by hairnet
The ones with springs come with the holes punched and tied.
It's not just the springy ones. I have one on solid rails, with a relief cutout (I think it's an Imperial model), and it came with the holes and laces--three different colors!
Old 12-28-18, 10:36 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Busy doing little things. I found these bright little usb rechargeable lights. They have an aluminum housing and threaded cup that the light screws into. Being aluminum I decided to drill and tap the cup, and use my rear brake mount as a mounting point:

I jacked up the threads on the side I cut the cog off of, so rather than trying to repair the threads I decided to just turn the threads down on the lathe. I never use the 'flip' side on hubs anyway.

And this is what I'll be working on when I get home tonight. After learning how to lace wheels earlier this week I'm eager to build this up for the kilo TT. Lacing wheels is a fun way to kill time, and pretty easy on the wallet!

Last edited by mouse; 12-28-18 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 02:25 AM
Fresh Garbage

Originally Posted by mouse
My father is a skilled knife maker, and his sheaths are quite beautiful too.
Very cool. I want to try my hand at some knife making and I have gathered some of the necessary equipment to do it blacksmith style. I just need a good belt sander and probably a tempering oven.

With his help I trimmed and conditioned my brooks b17 to mimic the swift. Wish I had that saddle still, not to use, but for the nostalgia of working with Dad.
I have seen people do that in the C&V forum. Do you think you can do it again? I have a new copper riveted B17 that could be given some style points with a trim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.