Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which anti-seize for titanium frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

I recently got me a fine used Salsa Vaya Ti, and I want to do right by it. I do a lot of riding in wet, muddy conditions, and I'm sure I'll be picking up some road salt this winter. What type of anti-seize is recommended to prevent galvanic corrosion of aluminum and steel attached to a titanium frame? Also, what areas should I be particularly concerned with? Bottom bracket tops my obvious list, but what/where else should I be concerned with?

Are there any other do's and don'ts for riding titanium in corrosive environments?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-18, 10:40 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,336 Posts
My usual answer is that frequency of maintenance is more important then which brand of soap is used when bathing.

Pedals, BB shell, Post, Stem, and a lot of the little bolts are the items I would focus on. Andy
Old 12-02-18, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My usual answer is that frequency of maintenance is more important then which brand of soap is used when bathing.

Pedals, BB shell, Post, Stem, and a lot of the little bolts are the items I would focus on. Andy
Thanks Andrew. What about the headset?
Old 12-02-18, 11:47 PM
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 131 Posts
+1 on what Andrew wrote - any kind of anti-seize is good for the pressures and temps that bicycle stuff faces.

Headset too - anti seize before placing the cups in the frame and the race on the fork.
Old 12-03-18, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Slaninar
+1 on what Andrew wrote - any kind of anti-seize is good for the pressures and temps that bicycle stuff faces.

Headset too - anti seize before placing the cups in the frame and the race on the fork.
Thanks!
Old 12-03-18, 06:36 AM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I use and recommend Tef-Gel for all dissimilar metal joints. https://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor it is not cheap but a little goes a long way.
Old 12-03-18, 07:51 AM

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 412 Posts
All of the above is good input at temps and pressures on bicycles will work. In industry we typically used nickel or copper based anti seize for ti, mostly to prevent ti to ti cold welding. Probably the safest out there is Finishline Ti-Prep which is made to covers all the bases of ti to other metals (galling, cold welding, etc.) and if you called Salsa they would confirm.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 12-03-18, 08:52 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have three Ti frames and have used plumber's Teflon tape on my bottom bracket cups for many years. It provides complete protection against bi-metallic corrosion and seizing, prevents any water incursion and, best of all, never squeaks. It's also a lot less messy than anti-seize which stains anything and everything it touches.

I use grease on pedal spindle threads, water bottle cage bolts, headset cups and seatposts and have never had any problems with any of my frames including a 23 year-old one with 75,000 miles ridden in all types of weather.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-03-18, 10:23 AM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by Wattsup
Thanks Andrew. What about the headset?
Well... bearings generally prefer a grease and not anti seize compound

Seriously and a slight tangent- I've had toe surgery recently and have borrowed a knee scooter for getting around the house on. It's much like a bike with wheels, cable brakes and two (it's a four wheeled cart of sorts) headsets. Being the guy I am I decided to give it a good servicing, including fresh cables and overhauling the headsets. I found that their bearings were lubed with anti seize! I guess this is better then nothing.

We talk about how severe our riding is. Rightfully so for some of us. But I'll tell you that some of the worst equipment condition I've had to deal with have been on wheelchairs (and racing sulkies too). Andy
Old 12-03-18, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 339 Posts
The electronegativity rating of Ti is 1.8, Fe (iron) is 1.8, and Al is 1.5. All of these are fairly close together so there won't be a whole lot of electron swapping between them. Fe/iron and aluminum parts are typically plated too which further protects them. I don't think it particularly matters what you use, grease or anti seize, so I vote grease because it's a little less messy.

And for what it's worth, carbon fiber tubing and raw aluminum are quite reactive when in direct contact with each other. The early glue together carbon tubed frames had a lot of failed joints due to corrosion. The frame makers learned their lesson and started anodizing the aluminum before bonding and the problems went away.

Last edited by Nessism; 12-03-18 at 11:16 AM.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 12-03-18, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I use and recommend Tef-Gel for all dissimilar metal joints. https://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor it is not cheap but a little goes a long way.
Thanks, will check it out.

Originally Posted by easyupbug
All of the above is good input at temps and pressures on bicycles will work. In industry we typically used nickel or copper based anti seize for ti, mostly to prevent ti to ti cold welding. Probably the safest out there is Finishline Ti-Prep which is made to covers all the bases of ti to other metals (galling, cold welding, etc.) and if you called Salsa they would confirm.
Good idea, call the manufacturer!

Originally Posted by HillRider
I have three Ti frames and have used plumber's Teflon tape on my bottom bracket cups for many years. It provides complete protection against bi-metallic corrosion and seizing, prevents any water incursion and, best of all, never squeaks. It's also a lot less messy than anti-seize which stains anything and everything it touches.

I use grease on pedal spindle threads, water bottle cage bolts, headset cups and seatposts and have never had any problems with any of my frames including a 23 year-old one with 75,000 miles ridden in all types of weather.
Interesting. So why aren't most people using the tape? Are there any downsides?
Old 12-03-18, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nessism
The electronegativity rating of Ti is 1.8, Fe (iron) is 1.8, and Al is 1.5. All of these are fairly close together so there won't be a whole lot of electron swapping between them. Fe/iron and aluminum parts are typically plated too which further protects them. I don't think it particularly matters what you use, grease or anti seize, so I vote grease because it's a little less messy.
Appreciate the input, and I'm just a newb with this stuff, but everything I've read suggests that aluminum will readily corrode when in contact with titanium in the presence of an electrolyte....they're practically at opposite end of the galvanic spectrum, according to the material I've read.

The anodization info is new to me. Thanks!
Old 12-03-18, 12:06 PM

A related question please... I had been thinking of doing this stuff myself, but I found out a LBS of good repute will do it all and more (new hub bearings) for $180. I've been riding through mud, water and rain for three months now, so I'd like to get this stuff done as soon as yesterday. I don't want this BB seizing in my new frame!

What tools would I need to accomplish what we've talked about here....headset removal and treatment as suggested, bottom bracket, etc. Any estimate of total cost of parts, and the general difficulty of doing it correctly for a first-time newb?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-18, 12:07 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Thanks, will check it out.

Good idea, call the manufacturer!

Interesting. So why aren't most people using the tape? Are there any downsides?
All three things Teflon tape, Anti seize and grease will work. Grease, for moving parts like ball bearings. Anti seize on something that does not move, like seat posts or press fit things. tape is a little more convenient on threaded things. But grease and anti seize will work on threads too. If you already have grease or anti seize, no need to go to the store. However, the tape is cleaner.
I have used all three on titanium bikes, for a couple of decades.
Old 12-03-18, 12:29 PM

A related question please... I had been thinking of doing this stuff myself, but I found out a LBS of good repute will do it all and more (new hub bearings) for $180. I've been riding through mud, water and rain for three months now, so I'd like to get this stuff done as soon as yesterday. I don't want this BB seizing in my new frame!

What tools would I need to accomplish what we've talked about here....headset removal and treatment as suggested, bottom bracket, etc. Any estimate of total cost of parts, and the general difficulty of doing it correctly for a first-time newb?

Thanks!
Depending on the area cost of living $180 for a bike overhaul (usually also assuming no issues that cost more time/tooling) is pretty cheap. I would really want to be sure of a shop's motivation to do all these little extra steps on reassembly before I would blindly expect this level of attention.

Headsets were asked about and I really didn't answer completely. One issue I see every so often is with a threadless headset/fork/stem is that the spacers between the stem and the rest of the system can corrode really badly. To a point where they effectively lock the adjustment to where it was before the corrosion happened. Just about every bike I see (and have removed the stem on) has no lube or other compounds on the fork's steerer where the stem and spacers are located. Most of the time it's a non issue, casual use/dry conditions/no aggressive sweat or salt water. But it get's a pain to have to saw off these spacers (and be careful to not nick the steerer) when doing what should be a quick and easy overhaul. So I advise applying a thin coat of some lube/compound on the steerer. Andy
Old 12-03-18, 12:53 PM

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 339 Posts
Headsets were asked about and I really didn't answer completely. One issue I see every so often is with a threadless headset/fork/stem is that the spacers between the stem and the rest of the system can corrode really badly. To a point where they effectively lock the adjustment to where it was before the corrosion happened. Just about every bike I see (and have removed the stem on) has no lube or other compounds on the fork's steerer where the stem and spacers are located. Most of the time it's a non issue, casual use/dry conditions/no aggressive sweat or salt water. But it get's a pain to have to saw off these spacers (and be careful to not nick the steerer) when doing what should be a quick and easy overhaul. So I advise applying a thin coat of some lube/compound on the steerer. Andy
My bikes tend to start making noise from the stem/steerer/headset due to corrosion after a few months unless I'm careful with maintenance. Wipe off any sweat/salt, wash with water, and spray with WD-40. It helps to use plastic washers on both sides of the stem to reduce fretting damage too. Kind of a pain in the butt. I envy those guys that don't seem to sweat!
Old 12-03-18, 01:25 PM

Depending on the area cost of living $180 for a bike overhaul (usually also assuming no issues that cost more time/tooling) is pretty cheap. I would really want to be sure of a shop's motivation to do all these little extra steps on reassembly before I would blindly expect this level of attention.

Location is Phila PA. Actually the normal price is $225, but they're having a special until the end of Jan. It's hard to know who's good, and who's a pretender, right? Although I don't think they're a Salsa dealer, they do seem to cater to serious cyclists, racers, etc.
Old 12-03-18, 01:47 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4845 Post(s)
Liked 3,973 Times in 2,580 Posts
I've simply used marine boat trailer hub grease and/or teflon on all of the ti interfaces just like I do for my steel frames. Never even think about it. Everything comes apart just fine. Now I haven't used CF parts (just because I don't buy CF parts) so I cannot comment there. I do have ti seatposts with aluminum heads in both of my ti bike. THey have not been given the real test. I don't sweat a lot and I have never seen sweat below my seat and rarely on my stem (except trainer riding when I do not use a towel; not often and not my ti bikes). Writing this last sentence reminds me my good ti bike also has a ti threadless stem on a steel steerer. Again, never been an issue.

Ben
Old 12-04-18, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider

I've also heard of using teflon tape as a substitute for anti-seize on bottom bracket threads. I did consider using it when building up my new Ti frame earlier this year, however, I came across Shimano anti-seize for Ti and it seemed to fit the bill for me. It's messy but it does come with a built-in applicator brush so at least you can control the mess to a degree. One of my concerns was not achieving good enough coverage with the tape, a concern the anti-seize mostly eliminates. That's just me though. Hillrider definitely knows what he's talking about

Here's my DS BB cup when I was installing it:

Thanks!
When you say headset removal, what did you do in the first place? As others have said, so long theres some sort of grease in there, you'll be fine for a while. I used carbon-friendly grease on the crown race as I was installing onto a carbon steerer.

I think this is really good advice as well. Just watch you don't get grease on the steerer where the stem clamps it, particularly if your stem pinch bolt tightening torque is limited by the fact you're running a carbon steerer.

I have no idea what you get for $180 in terms of LBS labour where you guys are but for a 'premium service' in London (full strip down to frame, check and refit components), you'd be looking at around £120 plus parts.

Last edited by Matt Gaunt; 12-04-18 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Gaunt
I've also heard of using teflon tape as a substitute for anti-seize on bottom bracket threads. I did consider using it when building up my new Ti frame earlier this year, however, I came across Shimano anti-seize for Ti and it seemed to fit the bill for me. It's messy but it does come with a built-in applicator brush so at least you can control the mess to a degree. One of my concerns was not achieving good enough coverage with the tape, a concern the anti-seize mostly eliminates. That's just me though. Hillrider definitely knows what he's talking about

Here's my DS BB cup when I was installing it:

When you say headset removal, what did you do in the first place? As others have said, so long theres some sort of grease in there, you'll be fine for a while. I used carbon-friendly grease on the crown race as I was installing onto a carbon steerer.

I think this is really good advice as well. Just watch you don't get grease on the steerer where the stem clamps it, particularly if your stem pinch bolt tightening torque is limited by the fact you're running a carbon steerer.

I have no idea what you get for $180 in terms of LBS labour where you guys are but for a 'premium service' in London (full strip down to frame, check and refit components), you'd be looking at around £120 plus parts.
It's rare that a threadless stem will move on the steerer with correct clamp tension and without some shock or force with out with out a lube/anti seize between. The stem has a lot of surface contact with the steerer, more then a traditional quill type ever had. Now of course if the headset bearing suddenly freezes up and one has to steer really badly the stem could slip, but then you have other more problems then the stem.

What is your concern? Andy
Old 12-05-18, 04:06 AM
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 131 Posts
For carbon stems to steerer interface - no carbon mounting paste and no lube - since lube might require a bit more clamping force (and damage of carbon parts), while carbon mounting paste can find its way to the upper headset bearing and prevent it from turning nicely.

For anti-seize applicator - I got a 1$ silicone brush (for makeup I think) - wonderful.
Old 02-09-19, 12:08 AM

Thought I'd stop back to this thread. So I replaced the BB in my Vaya Ti today. I was all set, had my new bottle of Permatex Copper Anti-seize, started applying it....Wow. That stuff is a REAL pain to apply....it wants to get everywhere. Halfway through it I said F-it, wiped it off the threads and liberally applied plain old grease. Like you said, it's the frequency of maintenance that counts. Had I used the copper anti-seize, I know I'd probably put off follow-up maintenance in the future. I wouldn't want to deal with that reddish goo! Now with the grease though, it'll be a simple thing to service the BB. It will take only a few minutes to remove, wipe down, and re-grease the BB in the future. With the red goo, you practically have to wear a hazmat suit!

I greased everything that touches that Ti frame, including the tiny derailleur bolts. While going over the bike, I discovered I need new bearings in the rear hub. That'll be the next project, right after the headset cup removal. Then I'll be ready for another season of sandy mud and rain!
Old 04-14-23, 10:14 AM

Just a followup, a little over 4 years later, and after about 7,000 miles. I replaced the bottom bracket again. I have ridden in some very wet muddy conditions, The old BB took quite a bit of arm muscle to get out using a 14 inch long wrench, but it did come out. It was kind of dry, no lube apparent in the threads, and I do remember liberally greasing that thing up before the install.

Question. Are you all greasing brake bolts, the ones that connect the calipers to the frame? I see that the bolts usually come with a threadlocker on a small portion of the thread, but it's my understanding that even with only some surface area exposed on the thread, galvanic action can be quite active. i read even more active in one article. I think I applied a little grease last time. I'm not sure what to do with the tiny little hangar bolt. It also had a tiny bit of threadlocker on it, I think I applied a tiny bit of grease to it too. The brake bolts readily loosened up today. I'm hesitant to remove the hangar bolt, as I remember I rounded the hex out a little last time. I don't want to strip it. I might just buy another bolt, (or hangar and bolt.) What would you recommend for the hangar bolt and the break caliper bolts?
Old 04-14-23, 10:53 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4845 Post(s)
Liked 3,973 Times in 2,580 Posts
My thoughts - keep it simple. BB threads? Use teflon plumbing tape. The rest? Use plenty of marine grease (the stuff for boat trailer hubs- any auto parts store. Lifetime supply - $8.)
Old 04-14-23, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My thoughts - keep it simple. BB threads? Use teflon plumbing tape. The rest? Use plenty of marine grease (the stuff for boat trailer hubs- any auto parts store. Lifetime supply - $8.)
I use the Park high performance grease, *Park Tool HPG/1, thicker than their Polylube. The bottom bracket has been replaced already. I was just wondering what you all would use on the brake caliper bolts and the hangar bolt.

Park Tool HPG-1 was specifically formulated to aid in the performance of bearing applications such as bottom brackets, hubs and headsets, as well as pivots and suspension components.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.