Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-24, 02:51 PM
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I’ve met Giants, Cowboys and Eagles fans since I’ve been here. But no Bills fans yet. I root for them usually, it’s WAY more satisfying than rooting for the Giants or Jets.
There are tons of Bills fans up here. Our friends’ brewery is a “Bills Backer” bar and it’s full of obnoxious Bills fans on Sundays.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-12-24, 02:54 PM

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,181 Posts
94A. A little warm for this time of year. An hour ago I got bit by a horsefly whose season is June and July
Old 01-12-24, 03:00 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13743 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 2,521 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
What is wrong with people?
Who can say...

Likes For rjones28:
Old 01-12-24, 03:06 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28725 Post(s)
Liked 1,873 Times in 1,329 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Who can say...
That would be a good place for a therapist to set up a booth and sign up new patients.
Old 01-12-24, 03:08 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28725 Post(s)
Liked 1,873 Times in 1,329 Posts
Uh oh.

Old 01-12-24, 03:09 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I also imagine it's not something to Google at work.
Quality life choice there.
Old 01-12-24, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8333 Post(s)
Liked 9,162 Times in 4,521 Posts
Riding a motorcycle in the desert and carving around a bush there was a beach ball sized rock that I didn't see. My toe got smashed between the rock and the brake pedal with enough force to lift the rear of the bike into the air and dump me in a pile of rocks where I landed on my elbow. The pain in my toe was so intense I didn't feel the elbow. The nail came off a couple days later which was a relief.

I was riding the same motorcycle along a handle bar wide trail and an idiot tried to pass me. I didn't hear him or know he was there until I was knocked off the bike. Landed on my spine/pelvis area, went back up and landed on my hip point. While this was happening I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Lots of pain that day and the lower back is messed up still.

In 2017 I had shingles in my eye and on my scalp. The pain in my eye was pretty intense, as if my eye was squeezed by pliers. Doctor gave me Gabapentin and a bottle of Percocet. Tried the Gab twice and it just knocked me out. Gave the Percocet to a friend when he broke his hip and ran out. Friend gave me THC pills which made coping with the shingles pain doable.

When I was about 19 I had an infected impacted wisdom tooth. I had no money or insurance so the county clinic was the place. They said it was too infected to extract so they gave me antibiotics and said come back in 10 days. I was so sick I couldn't eat and the antibiotics made me throw up. The infection got worse and spread to the roof of my mouth, (it was a bottom tooth). Went back for the next appt. and the oral surgeon said we have to do it now. 1 shot of Novocain and he ripped that thing out of there. That was probably the most intense pain I have known. Almost blacked out. Almost pulled the arms off of the chair.
Old 01-12-24, 03:20 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13743 Post(s)
Liked 4,548 Times in 2,521 Posts
Worst pain ever was when I was 5 or 6. Ember from our neighbor's burning yard debris landed on the inside of my thigh and stuck. I recall screaming. I still have a scar the size of a quarter.
Old 01-12-24, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have broken a lot of bones and have had a lot of stitches and have passed kidney stones but really two things for me stick out and the first was by the worst....like I still curl up in a little ball and whimper when I think of it.
1. had a hole ripped in my sinus
2. being tazed...
I had a sinus infection that was painful. Like a deep,, throbbing pain behind my face.
Old 01-12-24, 03:25 PM

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Riding a motorcycle in the desert and carving around a bush there was a beach ball sized rock that I didn't see. My toe got smashed between the rock and the brake pedal with enough force to lift the rear of the bike into the air and dump me in a pile of rocks where I landed on my elbow. The pain in my toe was so intense I didn't feel the elbow. The nail came off a couple days later which was a relief.

I was riding the same motorcycle along a handle bar wide trail and an idiot tried to pass me. I didn't hear him or know he was there until I was knocked off the bike. Landed on my spine/pelvis area, went back up and landed on my hip point. While this was happening I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Lots of pain that day and the lower back is messed up still.

In 2017 I had shingles in my eye and on my scalp. The pain in my eye was pretty intense, as if my eye was squeezed by pliers. Doctor gave me Gabapentin and a bottle of Percocet. Tried the Gab twice and it just knocked me out. Gave the Percocet to a friend when he broke his hip and ran out. Friend gave me THC pills which made coping with the shingles pain doable.

When I was about 19 I had an infected impacted wisdom tooth. I had no money or insurance so the county clinic was the place. They said it was too infected to extract so they gave me antibiotics and said come back in 10 days. I was so sick I couldn't eat and the antibiotics made me throw up. The infection got worse and spread to the roof of my mouth, (it was a bottom tooth). Went back for the next appt. and the oral surgeon said we have to do it now. 1 shot of Novocain and he ripped that thing out of there. That was probably the most intense pain I have known. Almost blacked out. Almost pulled the arms off of the chair.
this reminded me of my good buddy (RIP) he was riding his motorcycle and he saw what he thought was a rubber ball as he was riding through a neighbor hood with kids and he figured was going to give it a kick to get off the road so a kid would not run out to get it..it was a bowling ball. shattered his foot and lower leg really bad. Somehow he did not crash.
Old 01-12-24, 03:30 PM

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 857 Posts
I had a sinus infection that was painful. Like a deep,, throbbing pain behind my face.
My wife said that it looked like I had a demon trying to get out of my head. may face was all distorted. it was nothing like a sinus infection. Not sure if there any dentist here but it was due to the rear most upper molar root decided to enter the sinus cavity and the dentist thought he could pull it before it actually entered but when he pulled the tooth it tore into the cavity. It all started out as a simple examine with my early xrays. As soon as he pulled the tooth he said "oh ****" and took me right to a surgeon...I never got a bill. so I guess that was a plus....
Old 01-12-24, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt
My wife said that it looked like I had a demon trying to get out of my head. may face was all distorted. it was nothing like a sinus infection. Not sure if there any dentist here but it was due to the rear most upper molar root decided to enter the sinus cavity and the dentist thought he could pull it before it actually entered but when he pulled the tooth it tore into the cavity. It all started out as a simple examine with my early xrays. As soon as he pulled the tooth he said "oh ****" and took me right to a surgeon...I never got a bill. so I guess that was a plus....
I've heard of that happening and I don't want to think about it.
Old 01-12-24, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 613 Posts
[QUOTE=genejockey;23127637
Having had a couple minor procedures under local anesthesia, I gotta say it is really strange to watch, and hear, and even feel slightly when someone, for example, takes a slice out of the skin on your leg, then sews it up, with the needle CLEARLY going through your skin.[/QUOTE]

Somewhat similar: watching an 'internal procedure' on a monitor. Weird. When I had an ivc filter 'installed' in 2018 (dvt in right calf, with complicating factors; long story), The Mechanic (that's what the surgeon called himself) asked if I wanted to be 'out' or rely on a local. Any pain, I asked? No, he said; local it was. Once he got the thing started, in the groin, he said ... 'here, watch!' and swivelled a monitor toward me. Got to watch the thing slowly go up the vein to its resting place. Couldn't feel a thing.

No such option when time came to have the thing removed; they went in through the neck and down to retrieve it, and didn't want any movement ... at all.
Old 01-12-24, 03:46 PM
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
"That which does not kill us makes us chatty in bicycle forum."

Not pain related, but I screamed like a teenage girl when a squirrel jumped on my head. He stayed only long enough for me to know that he was faster than me, meaner than me, and could have done anything he wanted in that brief moment.
Likes For RollCNY:
Old 01-12-24, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by badger1
Somewhat similar: watching an 'internal procedure' on a monitor. Weird. When I had an ivc filter 'installed' in 2018 (dvt in right calf, with complicating factors; long story), The Mechanic (that's what the surgeon called himself) asked if I wanted to be 'out' or rely on a local. Any pain, I asked? No, he said; local it was. Once he got the thing started, in the groin, he said ... 'here, watch!' and swivelled a monitor toward me. Got to watch the thing slowly go up the vein to its resting place. Couldn't feel a thing.

No such option when time came to have the thing removed; they went in through the neck and down to retrieve it, and didn't want any movement ... at all.
In 1988 I had surgery to repair the a-c joint in my left shoulder. He transplanted tendons and used a long screw to hold the collar bone down for 8 weeks. Was supposed to be 6 weeks but I pulled it loose trying to get up to answer the phone while half asleep. Anyway when he took the screw out he let me watch on a screen.He kept slipping on the screw head (phillips) and I told him I could go home and get a Snap On screwdriver if he wanted.

Last edited by big john; 01-12-24 at 04:00 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-12-24, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11989 Post(s)
Liked 6,712 Times in 3,508 Posts
I had sutures without anesthesia (not even Lidocaine) to close up a knee busted wide open to the bone. I counted seven of them but later they removed nine. Obviously I passed out from pain for two of them.
Old 01-12-24, 04:01 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5035 Post(s)
Liked 8,245 Times in 3,898 Posts
I had that with a cracked and infected molar. It was pretty brutal, largely because it was relentless. OTC pain meds did nothing to relieve it.

The doctor resetting a broken bone in my hand without any pain meds hurt a lot worse that breaking it. That's probably the most intense pain I've felt, but it didn't last very long.
Old 01-12-24, 04:07 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,658 Times in 2,140 Posts
My mother had severe copd and couldn’t have anesthesia. She had surgery for breast cancer with a local. She also had hip replacement with a spinal block.

She said she cried the entire time through the breast surgery. The surgeon confirmed that my mom had a hard time.

When asked about the hip replacement, all she would say is that it was noisy, smelled like stuff burning and there was a lot of hammering.

Old 01-12-24, 04:09 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10488 Post(s)
Liked 12,015 Times in 6,151 Posts
In 1988 I had surgery to repair the a-c joint in my left shoulder. He transplanted tendons and used a long screw to hole the collar bone down for 8 weeks. Was supposed to be 6 weeks but I pulled it loose trying to get up to answer the phone while half asleep. Anyway when he took the screw out he let me watch on a screen.He kept slipping on the screw head (phillips) and I told him I could go home and get a Snap On screwdriver if he wanted.
Along about 1996, I separated the A-C joint in my right shoulder. When I went to the Orthopedist, he told me that studies had shown that the best pain-free outcome and range of motion was achieved by no intervention at all. I looked it up on PubMed, and damned if he wasn't right! Plus there were a couple articles on the wires and such they used to tie the ends together getting loose in the body.

He asked me if I was in a throwing sport. "Cycling isn't generally considered a throwing sport," I replied.

The next year, defending TdF champ Bjarne Riis famously threw his TT bike when the chain came off.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-12-24, 04:10 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by RollCNY
"That which does not kill us makes us chatty in bicycle forum."

Not pain related, but I screamed like a teenage girl when a squirrel jumped on my head. He stayed only long enough for me to know that he was faster than me, meaner than me, and could have done anything he wanted in that brief moment.
Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stranger.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-12-24, 04:11 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

And we wonder why women don't flock to this place....

Old 01-12-24, 04:12 PM

My Friday ride I usually take the mtb. I avoid cars and cut through a park and a little league complex. From there I go under a bridge to a large debris basin unless there is too much water flowing under the bridge. Today there were cops with the road blocked off on each side of the bridge. From where I go I could just ride up there and cross the bridge but thought I had better go to the road block and inquire. The handsome young officer explained that there was a "suspicious package" on the bridge and the bomb squad was on the way.

Lot of sirens and a bunch of vehicles showed up but nobody made a move toward the package while I was there. So I headed home and got another flat on the way.
Old 01-12-24, 04:18 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10982 Post(s)
Liked 4,658 Times in 2,140 Posts
Tom Danielson posted something on Twitter today that really struck home. Tom has had his share of bad luck and horrible injuries.

His post today starts off: “Attitude and effort are variables I can control.
The universe doesn’t care what I’ve been through nor does it care that it’s 20 degrees out.”

https://x.com/tomdanielson/status/17..._5YX2lczOfWI8Q

Old 01-12-24, 04:30 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Today for the first time, HRV4Training gave me something other than "proceed as planned". I got an 8.0, "Limit intensity". Also a slightly elevated HR (52 vs the normal 46-50). Funny thing is, 5 of the 12 HRV measurements I've taken since I started this on New Years Eve were 8.0. But I figure I'll do a Z2 ride on Zwift, just in case.

I'm thinking it's lousy sleep because of the dog we're dogsitting. She wandered into our bedroom the last two nights, and wandered around a bit before finally lying down to sleep. Then I had to get up early to get TOB to work by 8.

Old 01-12-24, 04:37 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22662 Post(s)
Liked 8,987 Times in 4,184 Posts
On a flight to LA a couple years ago, as we were descending, I had a sudden, super intense pain in my right cheek just below my eye. It lasted only about 5 minutes but it was definitely a top ten pain experience. I think this is called a “sinus separation” but whatever it was, I don’t wish it on anyone.

Another intense pain was the lidocaine shot for my vasectomy. It was mercifully only for about 3 seconds, then all went numb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.