Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycle deaths on the rise nationally, study finds

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicycle deaths on the rise nationally, study finds

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 03:18 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Genec-
Yeah swilling hot coffee-having to grab the cup-guide it to your mouth moving car
and putting on make up
Sure both are plenty distracting

But people have been eating drinking putting on make up while driving for the last 60 years
Indeed they have.

But not on today's roads in today's numbers... AND... I am NOT the one saying that cell phones and texting are not causing problems... I think they do, as does any screen in a car... The driver's eyes should be on the road... not on some phone or "infotainment system."

I'm not the one arguing that texting isn't killing cyclists... phones/texting/infotainment is just one more distraction... beyond what has been around for 60 years. Did we need more?
Old 09-26-17, 05:11 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
When my friend picked me up, they convinced me to go to the hospital. I agreed, but only if we moved all my stuff to their car, (actually, they moved all my stuff to their car). FWIW, I was *visible injured*/refused transport. My injuries were *not* insignificant, but neither were they "severe" on your biased-scale of overnight admittance, disabling, life altering, etc etc etc.

In any event, Fort Collins found the refuse rate dropped when they added bike racks to ambulances. Your disbelief not withstanding.

ps. You might want to ask first responders if people who refuse transport have insignificant boo-boos.

-mr. bill
All depends on what you choose to classify as a significant or serious injury.
Old 09-27-17, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
All depends on what you choose to classify as a significant or serious injury.
I spent the rest of the day in the hospital undergoing tests before they would release me. The first responders were correct to urge me to go to the hospital. I was incorrect to value my "precious" stuff more than my health.

And the whole point is no it doesn't matter what you choose to classify as a "significant" or "serious" injury. Those are made up terms by YOU.

Same exact injuries - one person injured in a motor vehicle crash, one person injured in a bicycle crash. The first person is FAR more likely to be counted among the injured than the latter.

But I'm done, there isn't any data anywhere that you believe anyway.

-mr. bill
Old 09-27-17, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
I spent the rest of the day in the hospital undergoing tests before they would release me. The first responders were correct to urge me to go to the hospital. I was incorrect to value my "precious" stuff more than my health.

-mr. bill
But that's a pretty normal response IMO.
Old 09-27-17, 10:28 AM
Been Around Awhile

And the whole point is no it doesn't matter what you choose to classify as a "significant" or "serious" injury. Those are made up terms by YOU.
I presume the tests confirmed that you did not have a "significant" or "serious" injury that required any further treatment and released you. No? So what was the "significant" or "serious" injury?

You are not alone in considering that a trip to an emergency room is the definition of a serious injury. As in your case, just getting checked out after an accidental event (or "crash" if you prefer) does not in itself convert a nasty looking boo-boo into a serious or significant injury.

I consider discussion or blog posts about comparing risk of various bicycling scenarios that rely on or reference data, studies, reports and conclusions that discount the importance of weighting the injuries incurred in the events for severity, and/or that ignore the probability of (or likely exposure to) the various hazardous scenarios (such as the previously cited Cross Study) is worthless at best, often done through ignorance of the risk management process, and at worst, a biased screed (or deliberate misrepresentation of the available data) sometimes used for promoting a proprietary program of instruction.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-27-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-27-17, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read a study cited in Wired magazine that automobile fatalities occur every 7,000,000 miles of driving, cycling fatalities every 1,000,000

That study also noted that the vast majority of cycling fatalities involved riders without helmets, inexperience cyclists and people pedalling through intersections.

Just the same, I'm quitting cycling when I get to 999,990 miles, because that's how statistics work.
Old 09-30-17, 01:31 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
1 in 3 Americans rode a bike - that's 110 million people. 800 deaths. That works out to a .0000073 chance of being killed, or a %0.00073 chance of a fatal accident. Those look like pretty favorable odds to me.

BB

The odds of being the Expendable Red Shirt member of the Star Trek: TOS crew was much higher.

A really poor way to just say, "Be safer".
Old 09-30-17, 01:33 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by Todzilla
I read a study cited in Wired magazine that automobile fatalities occur every 7,000,000 miles of driving, cycling fatalities every 1,000,000

That study also noted that the vast majority of cycling fatalities involved riders without helmets, inexperience cyclists and people pedalling through intersections.

Just the same, I'm quitting cycling when I get to 999,990 miles, because that's how statistics work.

I would gather you'd have to ride at least 50 miles every day of your life, and you wasted a few years in diapers and on a tricycle.
Old 10-01-17, 11:44 PM
What happened?

Statistics threads should always be moved to Politics & Religion!
Old 10-02-17, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
The odds of being the Expendable Red Shirt member of the Star Trek: TOS crew was much higher.
There will be approximately 10B humans on Earth circa 2250.
~0.1% will serve in Star Fleet.
~50% of those will be red shirts.
8 red shirts will die each year (the only reliable data we will have).

Therefore, if you will be a Red Shirt serving in Star Fleet, the odds of you dying on the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 will be 0.00016%/year.
Far safer than riding a bicycle in the United States on 21st Century Earth.

On a per-passenger-mile traveling basis, the risks of interstellar travel will not even be measurable with a 64-bit floating point number.

Now, you want dangerous? A long time ago, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field was approximately 3,720 to 1.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-02-17 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-08-17, 09:58 PM
What happened?

I'm not pedaling past the Van Allen belt.
Old 10-18-17, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Increase in cycling deaths is consistent with increase in pedestrian deaths in proportion to bad driving.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1125440-smartphones-killing-americans-but-nobody-s-counting.html
Old 10-18-17, 09:48 PM
Been Around Awhile

Old 10-18-17, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4284 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 958 Posts
^^^
Not a "broken record".
Old 10-18-17, 09:59 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
So bad driving is acceptable to you?
Old 10-22-17, 07:10 PM
What happened?

There ...more realistic.