Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cyclists obeying stop signs: Car drivers think it's hilarious. (rant/long post)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cyclists obeying stop signs: Car drivers think it's hilarious. (rant/long post)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Happens regularly. It's a minor annoyance during daylight hours but it gets extra stupid at night because I can't see if they're trying to wave me through or not when it's dark.

I'm not offended by it and appreciate the sentiment, but I wish they wouldn't do it. Sort of like the old lady at the checkout counter that refers to me as "dear" or "honey". It can be both friendly and condescending.

Last edited by tjspiel; 08-20-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-20-09, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
This is your problem Eric! But I can help you. Here is the protocol:

1. While you are still rolling, look them in the eyes and wave them through frantically. If they go, everyone wins (because I don't even slow down for stop signs if the coast is clear). No momentum lost =

2. They do not proceed because they have turned their attention to texting, tuning the radio, or attending to the screaming poop covered brat in the car seat behind them. If they are not even looking, I am probably going through the sign as far away from their bumper as possible, even if that means moving into the vacant oncoming lane. No lost momentum. Again -

3. They do not proceed and are actually LOOKING at me. I roll to a stop, put my foot down and LOOK THE OTHER WAY! Never EVER look at them once you stop! I glance down the cross street in the opposite direction as if looking for the next car coming (even if it is a one way street!). I look at my watch. I keep looking the other way until I hear their engine gun through the sign. I do not give the morons the chance to wave me through. I lost all my momentum, but I totally bedazzled a motorist with my legal action -

4. The motorist is chatting on a cell phone at a 2-way stop. I have the right of way. They ignore my right of way and gun out in front of me. Then, once blocking the street, they see me and slam on the brakes blocking my whole lane of travel. At this point, I either track stand or put my foot on the ground, lift my hand to my ear as if holding an imaginary cell phone. I then take the imaginary cell phone from my ear in a big sweeping arc and pretend to be jamming it up my bum. Then I point to them. =
BEST OF'ed.
Old 08-20-09, 10:57 AM
12mph+ commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4. The motorist is chatting on a cell phone at a 2-way stop. I have the right of way. They ignore my right of way and gun out in front of me. Then, once blocking the street, they see me and slam on the brakes blocking my whole lane of travel. At this point, I either track stand or put my foot on the ground, lift my hand to my ear as if holding an imaginary cell phone. I then take the imaginary cell phone from my ear in a big sweeping arc and pretend to be jamming it up my bum. Or, I just punch the side of the truck.
Fixed for accuracy.
Old 08-20-09, 11:01 AM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 221 Posts
^^^Oh Yeah. That one. His/her windows were so tinted that I couldn't tell what they were doing in there. The tint was a component of me losing it that time.
Old 08-20-09, 11:21 AM
High Roller

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Contrary to much of what you may read in these forums, many motorists are more afraid of us than we are of them. Afraid that they are going to squash us. And they don't trust us because we have taught them not to trust us.

Old 08-20-09, 11:23 AM

Bikes: flying pigeon roadster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the protocol:

1. While you are still rolling, look them in the eyes and wave them through frantically. If they go, everyone wins (because I don't even slow down for stop signs if the coast is clear). No momentum lost =

While I can't match joeybike's extensive experience, waving other people through ahead of you works almost all the time. The motorist is usually either trying to be nice or afraid that you'll do something unpredictable. Waving to the first sort indicates "your consideration is appreciated, but it's ok, you go first". Waving to the second indicates "I'm paying attention to all of this, see that you're waiting, and am not going to do something crazy".

I wave at everyone all the time. Whether or not I'm in the right, if someone does something vaguely considerate I wave at them. Like in a rotary, if I'm already in the rotary, and they don't pull in front of me cutting me off, I give them a friendly wave. Sure, they're supposed to stop anyways, but it makes them happier and hopefully nicer to bikes in the future.
Old 08-20-09, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find signalling helpful to communicate to the driver that I'm planning to stop. Yes it should be redundant to signal stopping at a stop sign, but as you say, so many cyclists don't, so its just an extra cue. (of course some drivers have leaned out their windows before to tell me they don't know what the signal means...)
Old 08-20-09, 11:54 AM

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
um, if you see it happening and the driver is able to see you, why don't you wave them on even before getting there?

its also not a bad idea when a motorist is not sure to pass you but you feel it is safe to do so...
Old 08-20-09, 12:43 PM
call me T.J.

Bikes: trek 820

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr2702
I wave at everyone all the time. Whether or not I'm in the right, if someone does something vaguely considerate I wave at them. Like in a rotary, if I'm already in the rotary, and they don't pull in front of me cutting me off, I give them a friendly wave. Sure, they're supposed to stop anyways, but it makes them happier and hopefully nicer to bikes in the future.
+eleventy-billion
Old 08-20-09, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just like to applaud that awesome rant
Old 08-20-09, 03:58 PM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by High Roller
Contrary to much of what you may read in these forums, many motorists are more afraid of us than we are of them. Afraid that they are going to squash us. And they don't trust us because we have taught them not to trust us.
= me
Old 08-20-09, 05:28 PM

Bikes: 2007 Fuji hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
Are you possibly interested in editing my dissertation?
Ha! Awesome. I see you're developing your skills in Ph.D. procrastination!
Old 08-20-09, 07:42 PM

Bikes: an 8 year old specialized hardrock mountian bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

4. The motorist is chatting on a cell phone at a 2-way stop. I have the right of way. They ignore my right of way and gun out in front of me. Then, once blocking the street, they see me and slam on the brakes blocking my whole lane of travel. At this point, I either track stand or put my foot on the ground, lift my hand to my ear as if holding an imaginary cell phone. I then take the imaginary cell phone from my ear in a big sweeping arc and pretend to be jamming it up my bum. Then I point to them. =
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA....*gasp* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my goodness thats funny.
Old 08-20-09, 08:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I encounter that situation as well.
One of our best advantage of being a cyclist is that we can communicate with gestures all we want, unlike those who are caged.
An extremely welcoming and exaggerated wave-through from YOU, BEFORE you reach the intersection will solve the problem.
Old 08-20-09, 11:03 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Consider reading the Idaho stop laws for cyclist and realize that at worst, these laws that have been in effect for many years have had NO detrimental effects on cyclist safety and may have in fact improved cyclist safety.
Old 08-22-09, 09:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's best to make eye contact and wave cars through the intersection.
Old 08-22-09, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inability to determine right of way is prevelent at any four way stop sign. Just keep on texting until the other guys go through and proceed.
Old 08-22-09, 10:42 PM
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll-Monroe-Co
As I mentioned, traffic is an information system, a semiotic system, that allows us to predict each other's behavior. I'm not sure what's insane about following the spirit and the letter of the law. A "rolling stop" is not a "stop"; it's a "go."
"Semiotic?" Do I detect a student of linguistics here? Or perhaps a future anthropologist, psychologist or sociologist?

I also always stop at stop signs and frequently encounter the "wave you on through" motorists, sometimes even when I'm driving a car! Like you, I really dislike the way it introduces uncertainty into what should be a very clear-cut, rules-based situation. It's especially annoying when I'm on my bike because I'm not very good at track-standing, so if they sit there very long I have to put a foot down or fall over. It's not pleasant having to suddenly yank a foot out of a toe clip and get it on the ground when I wasn't expecting to have to do that.

Just tonight, I was spinning up a hill slowly when someone a considerable distance ahead was backing out of a driveway, saw me and stopped partway into the road to wait. He had time to pull in and out at least two or three times while I was approaching without getting in my way at all, but instead he chose to sit there with all his passengers staring at me as I slowly toiled up the hill. I actually had to swing out further in the roadway to get around the rear of his car, and I was a bit concerned that he might suddenly get tired of waiting and pull out before I was completely clear. I'm sure he meant to be polite, but when people behave in unexpected ways on the road, it just makes me nervous.
Old 08-24-09, 08:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gotten to where I will wave the car through before I even come to a stop. I have found it saves me a lot of time.
Old 08-24-09, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Liv Vall E+

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
+1 This is definitely the way to do it. At least around here it signals to the car driver that (a) I really do intend to stop at this stop sign, and (b) I am paying attention to you and letting you know that I know that you have the right of way.

Unfortunately, some of them refuse to play along, and then we end up with the series of "you go ahead", "no, YOU go ahead" hand signals which culminates in me shrugging my shoulders and just getting through the intersection with a wave of thanks to the car driver.
Old 08-24-09, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your expectations are just too high. Always assume that you NEVER have the right-of-way on a bicycle over a motor vehicle. Unless an automobile driver waves me through an intersection first, I always wait for them to go first.

Your choices are to:
  1. Assert your right-of-way rights, and maybe or maybe not get hit by a car
  2. Do your best to get out of the intersection as quickly and safely as possible.

I usually ride a couple of feet off of the back-bumper of a car going my way. Drivers don't pull-out on top of large steel objects as often as they do bicycles.

Old 08-24-09, 09:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oakback
Stop, then don't look at the driver. Fake like you're checking your cell phone, inspecting your gears (add a frowny face to emphasize your problem), or sip water. Once they see that you aren't even facing them to see their gestures, 99% of the time they go through. I do this when cycling, walking, or when on a motorcycle. It worked every single time, and it only takes a second or two to do.

I also do this because most of the time I can't see their gestures due to the glare on their windshield, and I don't want to confuse things by staring at them.
This is what I do. I usually look in the opposite direction (i.e., where the car would head if it acknowledged its right of way) and avoid face-contact. I can't see inside cars, and I'd rather not misinterpret directions and get hit (again).
Old 08-24-09, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeSoMD
Well... I am one of those cagers that waves cyclists through an intersection... and I do it for a couple of reasons... one of which is to try to protect the cyclist...
In what way do you think it "protects the cyclist" to have them pass directly in front of a two ton motor vehicle that's being operated by someone who just demonstrated that they don't understand the right-of-way laws? I can see being cautious if it's not clear that the cyclist plans on stopping, but after they have already come to a complete stop there shouldn't be any doubts left.
Old 08-24-09, 10:57 PM

Bikes: 1990 Giant 890i, Electric Frankencycle Thing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that the cagers are just trying to be polite, but predictability is way more important than courtesy in this case. I have a friend who does this in his car all the time - he's very thoughtful and conscientious. After several friendly lectures (from me) on why it's a bad idea, he still does it whenever he sees a bike wanting to cross or turn. He just has to go out of his way to be helpful. I think I'll show him this thread. Maybe it will sink in.
When I encounter it (which is frequently), I make like a traffic cop and point very clearly and authoritatively about what should happen. YOU go THERE. It works pretty well.
Unfortunately, I have trouble track-standing and pointing at the same time; a decent track stand requires two hands for me.
Old 08-25-09, 12:25 AM
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah getting the wave through is a little annoying but only because I would have rolled through an empty intersection, if I was truly following the rules of the road I would have to had to stop anyway so really I am annoyed that I couldn't get away with the roll through. I would take that over an agressive driver anyday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.