Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling too dangerous for those over fifty?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling too dangerous for those over fifty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 06:42 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ScorpioLance
OK, how about: "Hey Doc? STFU!!!!" That official enough?
That would do it.
Old 08-17-11, 06:47 AM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rsacilotto
My issues are that

a) city driving is relatively dangerous for anyone, I'm 51 and have not noticed the diminished capabilities (except cardio) that the doctor is claiming. I recently avoided a couple of collisions by reacting quickly, I had no sense that I would have done any better when I was 30. Would he prefer that bicyclists avoid the city altogether (see comment above regarding cyclist inconveniencing his driving)?

b) unless the route is completely rural, there's a decent likelihood of encountering "city-like" situations with tight roads, parked cars and aggressive drivers turning unpredictably. Should we avoid those, too?

c) who only rides two miles? I commute 32 miles round trip a couple of times a week, not really a walking option. I notice a huge difference in my physical condition when I'm riding regularly vs. other activities. I can still ride pretty hard for reasonable distances, not as fast as when I was younger, but I can just about keep up with a 20mph pace in a group for an hour, and the main obstacle is weight (230lb), not age. It just seems insulting for a doctor to suggest that once you hit 50, you should suddenly be so concerned about your physical and mental skills falling off a cliff that you should "think twice before getting on a bicycle." Thanks, but no thanks!
It's obvious the doctor doesn't know anything about cycling, but he does know what he is seeing in his hospital and there is no denying that he is seeing more older people with cycling injuries.

There is a reason there are no Formula 1 drivers or fighter pilots at 50, because the skills and reflexes simply diminish with time. We may not notice it because of the slow nature of aging, and there might be an exception or two out there, but reflexes do diminish, as does sight, hearing and all the rest of the senses....
Old 08-17-11, 06:56 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Maybe you guys don't ride in the cities, but for those of us that do, I'd say the doctor has a point.

The biggest obstacle to me getting back on a bike was getting back out into traffic. What I once took for granted, narrow, pot-holed, busy streets, nearly scared the heck out of me now that I am older. Nearly all of my riding is done within inches of parked cars and moving ones. One bad move by me or a driver can spell disaster. It's taken me months to get comfortable out there again, but I'm still not overly confident and I still have my fears on busy streets. I now look 2 or 3 times at a situation I might have flown through in my younger years. Not to mention there is even more traffic out there now, which makes for less patience from drivers.

I know I am not the bike rider I once was, and due to aging, I'm not likely to ever be that confident or good again. If your skill level makes you as good as you were at twenty, then great, but most peoples skills diminish. This report won't stop me, but this doctor does have a valid point IMHO....
Your driving skills are probably not what they used to be. Does that mean you shouldn't drive as well? Would it mean I had a valid point if I were to call for the revocation of licenses for those over age X?
Old 08-17-11, 06:59 AM
Banned.

It's obvious the doctor doesn't know anything about cycling, but he does know what he is seeing in his hospital and there is no denying that he is seeing more older people with cycling injuries.

There is a reason there are no Formula 1 drivers or fighter pilots at 50, because the skills and reflexes simply diminish with time. We may not notice it because of the slow nature of aging, and there might be an exception or two out there, but reflexes do diminish, as does sight, hearing and all the rest of the senses....
True, and many of us, in our driving, bicycling - and even walking, learn to make allowances for those changes. That does not mean we should not do the activity, it means we keep learning how to do it safely as we change.

Should we all go and sit on the couch? Is that your conclusion?
Old 08-17-11, 07:08 AM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

The doctor said "think twice", he didn't say don't do it. And I am not saying that either.

Anybody on a cycling forum like this is pretty much a hard core cyclist. He knows about bikes and he knows how to ride and he has a keen interest in all aspects of it. But there are way more casual cyclists out there that don't know anything about bikes or riding and really should "think twice" before getting back on a bike at such a late stage and after so many years away. This is not something one should enter into so casually with little knowledge, or yes, they could find themselves in the hospital...
Old 08-17-11, 07:11 AM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
"If you are over 50, think twice before you get on a bicycle..."

Probably what he meant to say was "If you are over 50, think twice before you leave the house because lilfe can kill you".

He actually makes me want to cycle more. Moron.
Old 08-17-11, 07:15 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
An associate of Dr. Thompson, perhaps?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-17-11, 07:16 AM
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm almost 50 and I'd say cycling is safer for me now than when I was younger . . . I take less risks and I like to think I have a wiser perspective at anticipating what other people on the road may do that is dangerous. Not a week goes by that I don't avoid an accident by riding carefully and defensively.
Old 08-17-11, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,596 Times in 2,350 Posts
statistics suck. if you're a doofus you don't belong on a bike on the road.

that said, the doctor has a good warning for older bikers who can't hack the territory. it's not like taking up fly fishing or photography.
Old 08-17-11, 07:29 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just proves the point that doctors are idiots!
Old 08-17-11, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
statistics suck. if you're a doofus you don't belong on a bike on the road.

that said, the doctor has a good warning for older bikers who can't hack the territory. it's not like taking up fly fishing or photography.
Absolutely!

You made my point better than I could!
Old 08-17-11, 07:56 AM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

The doctor's blog entry and rebuttal blog entry (see link in the comments section of the doctor's blog) are worth a blog entry by me later today. The doctor is probably seeing more people over 50 with facial injuries (heck, I am one of those statistics right now from a fall a week and a half ago), but the good doctor draws very faulty logical links to what he see's a the root causes of the increase. Did he ever think that perhaps there are a lot of new (neophyte) riders over 50 in his area? I don't know if this is the case, but if you are a new rider at any age, you put yourself into situations that you would avoid if you were an experienced rider.

I'll stop here for now, but the blog is so full of poor logic and bad data that I'm shocked that some editor on the web site didn't pull it.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 08-17-11, 08:26 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is not something one should enter into so casually with little knowledge, or yes, they could find themselves in the hospital...
Of course it IS something one should enter into casually. While there will be a few accidents, the overall population, and the stat's would say most individuals, will be far better off. You need to accept risk to obtain rewards. That relationship is inviolate.
Old 08-17-11, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer the Doctor. No cycling is not too DANGEROUS for just those of us over 50. I say this as I type one handed due to a broken hand, bruised ribs and 4 stitches in my lip. This from a dangerous curb I ran into Saturday night. The main problem is the enviroment we ride in needs to be adjusted to our sport to make it safer for those of us over 50.

With the state of medicine today why trust just one doctor, Ask 5 others and they will tell us something different. All cyclist seem to agree that our riding enviroment is too dangerous.
Old 08-17-11, 09:08 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by bgross
"People over 50 have slower reflexes, less strength, less coordination, less aerobic capacity and lower bone density."
That "doctor" should speak for himself. I'll be cycling until I'm to decrepit to climb on a bike and even then I'll probably find a way.

I don't think I'd be over-matched by the doctor or many of his patients in any of those btw.
Old 08-17-11, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,220 Posts
How about cycling has a 77:1 benefit:cost ratio?
https://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c5293.full.pdf

Of course, that doesn't say anything about reduced capacity of cyclists as they top 50 (nor about reduced mental capacity of medical doctors, either!).
Old 08-17-11, 09:26 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rmcleod
....and almost every person who dies, dies within a few hours of injesting dihydrogen-oxide, a coincidence??
Inhaling maybe, but not ingesting.
Old 08-17-11, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A dozen years ago I was honored to attend the graduation of a SEALS class at Coronado. 150+ men started the class, less than 50 finished. They give only one award: "Honor Man". The young man whose mother had invited me to the graduation was the one who received the award. His bunkmate didn't graduate -- he died.

"Forrest" walked up the the lectern and said"

As William Wallace said... well I guess it was Mel Gibson... 'Every man dies. Not every man truly lives.' "

The reaper is waiting for us all. While we're still able, choose life!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure." ~ Helen Keller
Old 08-17-11, 10:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets see now. 70 years old. Way over the hill.

Death by medical mistake or bicycle.
Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-17-11, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Show me a man who thinks walking is better than cycling and I'll show you a man who never had to pee in a hurry.
Old 08-17-11, 10:42 AM
Trying to stay upright.

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads ~1996

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're overthinking it. It's actually

1) I don't like bicycles because sometimes they get in my way when I'm driving, so

2) Nobody should ride bicycles.
I think this might be more on the mark. Also, the injuries in bicycle accidents that he cites as a reason not to ride, are not life-threatening - a broken cheek-bone (which would probably have been avoided with a helmet), and the Justice's broken collar-bone. Yeah, they hurt, a lot. You can get either of these injuries tripping over your rug or getting out of the shower. His complaint seems to be that more bicyclists are coming in with more fractures, AND they are messing with his commute. Yes, in the summer you get more bicycling and softball injuries, and in the Winter you get more hockey and ski injuries. We see old people all winter long with broken hips and arms from walking on the ice. Some flee to Florida, many do not. I also see teenage boys with torn anterior cruciate ligament injuries from playing football. No one seems to be clamoring to end high school football. I suppose everyone could stay safely in their hermetically sealed home, but first I would like to see the actual statistics regarding life-threatening bicycle injuries versus life-threatening automobile crashes, and the accompanying demographics.

grrrrr
Old 08-17-11, 11:42 AM
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Inhaling maybe, but not ingesting.
Most people who inhale dihydrogen-oxide die within seconds or minutes. I try to ingest approximately 3 kcc of it per day, lest I become dihydrogen-oxide deficient. I carry a plastic dispenser full of the stuff on my bike in a specially designed holder mounted on the frame so I can ingest some while I ride.

I actually think the stuff might have addictive properties, with side-effects of withdrawl being headaches, disorientation, hallucinations, and eventually a painful drawn out death. I sometimes go a half a day without, but I always fall off the wagon. I wish they made a 'patch' to help curb my cravings for dihydrogen-oxide.
Old 08-17-11, 12:17 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by DCB0
Most people who inhale dihydrogen-oxide die within seconds or minutes. I try to ingest approximately 3 kcc of it per day, lest I become dihydrogen-oxide deficient. I carry a plastic dispenser full of the stuff on my bike in a specially designed holder mounted on the frame so I can ingest some while I ride.

I actually think the stuff might have addictive properties, with side-effects of withdrawl being headaches, disorientation, hallucinations, and eventually a painful drawn out death. I sometimes go a half a day without, but I always fall off the wagon. I wish they made a 'patch' to help curb my cravings for dihydrogen-oxide.
They use the same chemical to put out fires - can you imagine ingesting it??
Old 08-17-11, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The article is a typical media piece to fill up the space where advertisers leave room for. Of course, its not well written nor well balanced. Maybe it wasn't intended to be. If the doctor were interviewed, he would simply state that all this was taken out of context.
Old 08-17-11, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please cut the poor doc a break. He may just be preparing the way for his brother's new out-patient angioplasty franchise.

"Same Day, Couch to Couch Service."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.