Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are shops selling the bikes that average people want?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are shops selling the bikes that average people want?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
How the heck would we know? Ask some average people instead.
For that matter, not every shop NEEDS to cater to the "average cyclist". There are a host of niche markets that are served by specialty shops catering to their unique needs. Consider ethnic restaurants, lingerie shops, Christian book stores, vegan grocery stores, guitar shops, etc.

Who is an "average cyclist"?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-08-18, 04:30 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Capitalist!
Guilty as charged.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-08-18, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
The other end of the spectrum is my sister in law that bought a 3000 dollar bike, rides it 100 miles a year at most attaining speeds of 10-12 mph. Yep, clipless, sausage shorts, helmet, day-glo vest, lights, pump, bag, tools, etc. The whole shooting match. Got it 4 years ago and there is under 500 miles. The salesman got a customer with illusions of grandeur. She has yet to ride this year. She didn't come to my shop because she knew I would not sell her a three thousand dollar bike, and she wanted what she wanted. Her husband is no different. Has a 3000 dollar Salsa and has ridden it once since he got it 4 years ago.

To each his own, my friend.
Old 08-08-18, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18485 Post(s)
Liked 15,780 Times in 7,409 Posts
I'm serious. Not average. So I have had my road bikes built for me since 2004. Don't hate me because I am an elitist.
Old 08-08-18, 05:34 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,946 Posts
like performance cars; oem's are not going to mass produce 1000hp two seater muscle cars, instead they mass produce vanilla vehicles for those looking to go from point A to point B & option the average consumer with comfort features to enhance the experience. For the minority that will buy the speed demon, the oem will draw them in... especially since those with the fast cars will also have a want for something that will not rattle the gold fillings outta the teeth.
Old 08-08-18, 05:57 PM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
As an average cyclist, an average person of average height (5'9") with an average IQ and average grades and a hybrid enthusiast I'd say, "yes, bike shops are selling what the average Joe wants."

Living the dream of mediocrity.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 08-08-18 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 06:13 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
For that matter, not every shop NEEDS to cater to the "average cyclist". There are a host of niche markets that are served by specialty shops catering to their unique needs. Consider ethnic restaurants, lingerie shops, Christian book stores, vegan grocery stores, guitar shops, etc.
Yep. I know which shop around me I would start at if I wanted a MTB, if I wanted a touring bike, if I wanted a race or Tri bike, if I wanted a BMX, or if I wanted a fat bike. Many, but not all, also cater to "average" in some way, and the shops that only cater to "average" jsut don't seem to be as well off.

Originally Posted by Troul
especially since those with the fast cars will also have a want for something that will not rattle the gold fillings outta the teeth.
Nah. I'd drive a Shelby GT350R everyday if I could!
Old 08-08-18, 06:18 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,946 Posts
Winterbeaters would be a Zr1 & a gt3rs. Implant teeth instead of deal with fillings.
Old 08-08-18, 06:23 PM

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The ones that stay in business are.
Old 08-08-18, 07:28 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
As someone who rode his first two solo centuries on a comfort bike, I have a somewhat different take on this. I think a lot of the talk of the limits of upright bikes is driven by people who really have no experience riding them any distances. I'm constantly being told by people who ride far fewer miles than I do that if I had the bike they ride, I would ride more miles.I can't even grasp the logic of that.

I've no idea why these "what's wrong with the bike industry" threads keep popping up. I'm seeing more and more bicyclists out there every day, most of them riding pretty hard on bikes that a lot of the people posting here would turn their noses up at. Every morning, those department store bikes get a lot of non-spandex people to work, and kids to school.

If LBS go to a high-end only strategy, and get entirely out of the sub-$1000 bikes as seems to be happening in a lot of places, expect a lot of them to disappear in the next economic downturn. That will cut them out of a huge segment of the market and they already can't compete on the low end. So basically, they're now giving up on people who want something better than department store bikes but don't care about status and "high performance" features , and Dick's and the online retailers will be happy to take that segment from them permanently. Going to a luxury bike only strategy will work when the economy is hot, but it won't leave you with a lot of options when that segment inevitably cools off.
Old 08-08-18, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. I’ve never had that much reaction to any post I’ve written anywhere.

I hear what you guys are saying, but I think I failed to say (or ask) what I was trying to say (or ask). It had nothing to do with mtn vs. road, or upright vs. aggressive. Producing a nice servicable bike of any flavor is really not very expensive.

Having worked in a bike shop, I know that some people look at bikes like they look at cars or easy chairs. They don’t realize that what makes those comfortable and convenient makes bikes uncomfortable and inconvenient. You can make any kind of bike relatively lightweight and easy to handle. Weight does matter. If you can’t lift it off the floor, it’s too heavy.

It’s not true that people always buy what they want. They buy what they think they want, or what is available. (We have all made this mistake - it’s not wrong to make mistakes.) They really want a comfortable bike that is easy and fun to ride. In many cases they don’t buy that. They buy solutions to problems. Big cushy saddles aren’t necessarily what people really want, they want their rear end not to hurt. LOL You can sell them a good wide supportive saddle that is more comfortable.

I asked the question because I believe that most of the people looking for bikes genuinely want to ride, but a lot of bikes don’t get ridden. So is it just another piece of unused excercise equipment, or can bike shops (and the industry) do a better job of selling? You REALLY think they buy what they want? Do they really want the over stuffed saddle?

So, say during the bike boom, they sold everyone these awful 10 speeds with drops. Apparently they wanted 10 speeds (who wouldn’t). The result was that a whole generation grew up thinking that bicycles were torture devices. Eventually that discomfort spawned the mountain bike craze, but most of those bikes never saw a mountain. Then the “hybrids”. See where I’m going...

I could be wrong. Maybe people just want “a bike” in some particular flavor of the moment, and most of them will sit in the garage no matter what.

Last edited by Matt74; 08-08-18 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 04:17 AM
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt74
See where I’m going...

Nope. It's not like there's a secret bunker where all the bikes we really want are being withheld from us. By average what do you mean? Average new rider may think he needs a cushy seat. The experienced average cyclist buys a bike that fits style of riding he wants. There aren't any average cyclists all wanting the same bike. Its what they want or think they want. If there's a bike people will buy the LBSs will carry it. Supply and demand. This is just a rehash of resurrected "Lifestyle " thread going around in circles. There's more choices in bicycles now than there's ever been. What more do you want?

Last edited by hillyman; 08-09-18 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 05:25 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,858 Posts
Weight does matter. If you can’t lift it off the floor, it’s too heavy.
A lot of the posters here probably grew up riding bikes that weighed between 35-55 pounds. I spent a lot of years on a Schwinn Suburban (42 lbs) and never thought about the weight. And i grew up in an air with hills.

The obsession with weight is a marketing tool. Bikes for competition were made ever lighter, but only the tiniest percentage of people compete. But to sell more bikes, manufacturers needed "bicycle heroes," and racers were the obvious candidates. Also ... about this same time the muscle car craze was happening---"performance" suddenly meant something more than "transporting one in comfort and with convenience reliably" and came to mean "traveling at speed unsafe on open roads."

Sure, lighter is more efficient .... but several generations of people grew up riding and loving bikes which were unbelievable heavy by today's standards. All those "English racers" and drop-bar "10-speeds" which fed the first U.S. cycling boom .... weight 35 pounds or so. Now that is considered heavy for a full-suspension big-drop mountain bike.

A 30-pound bike is not "too heavy." Because it might have a step=through frame, it needs more material to be strong enough. Because it is Not made out of high-dollar materials, that material is weighty. But most people don't want to spend $500 for a bike, let alone $1500. They want to spend $150--maybe. That is why 75 % of the people who buy bikes, buy bikes from Walmart.

I cannot lift my car off the floor. Is it too heavy?

Big cushy saddles aren’t necessarily what people really want, they want their rear end not to hurt. …. You can sell them a good wide supportive saddle that is more comfortable.
As for wide soft saddles ... most people don't have and never will have the leg strength or the core strength to hold their weight off the saddle on a bike. Either they sit upright, or they lean forward with too much weight on the hands and no matter what, riding a bike hurts.

A "supportive saddle" only works if most of the weight is supported by the legs. And most riders don't ride that way----and cannot.

A too wide, too soft saddle will indeed cause pain and discomfort—after a number of miles. But most people aren’t going for rides that long. Most people who ride a bike are going to ride for half an hour or a mile.

I asked the question because I believe that most of the people looking for bikes genuinely want to ride, but a lot of bikes don’t get ridden.
I think they don’t get ridden because people find out that cycling isn’t as much fun as it looked on TV.

A lot of exercise equipment—as you say—goes unused. People buy it aspirationally—it looks good on TV, they think they are going to have fun, play, get in shape, whatever—and then the volleyball net, tennis rackets, various exercise machines … all sit in closets and garages because most people cannot develop new habits which take a lot of effort and show results over a long period of time … or simply aren’t as fun as they seemed.

Because you work where you work, you see people who have already self-selected as More interested in cycling than the people who casually buy Walmart bikes. People who come to a bike shop already had decided they want to invest More in cycling … but that doesn’t mean they will like it more. It doesn’t mean they will stick with it more. It just means they have more money and are willing to spend more money to try cycling.

The idea that if they only had the “right” bike that they would then Love cycling like we do … False. It is the same with exercise equipment, exercise programs …. People who want to exercise will use whatever equipment is around, or even no equipment, and will still do it. Others get gym memberships and never go.

It isn’t the equipment.

I could be wrong. Maybe people just want “a bike” in some particular flavor of the moment, and most of them will sit in the garage no matter what.
I don’t think people want a “flavor of the month” bike. They want to by a bike to try cycling. And yes … most, like most exercise equipment, end up in a garage or closet. People try new restaurants, new recipes, watch new TV shows, listen to new music … and most of it doesn’t stick, because peple are creatures of habit, and because people, as individuals, have different tastes and not everything strikes each individual’s taste.

Why worry? Why do we keep wanting to put people into the box We describe as “cyclist”? The people who ride around the neighborhood for half an hour after dinner three times a week are equally “cyclists,”—and they want those big wide saddles and step-through frames and all that.
Old 08-09-18, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts

So, say during the bike boom, they sold everyone these awful 10 speeds with drops. Apparently they wanted 10 speeds (who wouldn’t). The result was that a whole generation grew up thinking that bicycles were torture devices.
I find hybrids to be somewhat tortuous. That upright position is hard on the back and the bars cause me wrist pain in short order. Drop bars are much more comfortable. Maybe that's because I grew up with them.
Old 08-09-18, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A lot of exercise equipment—as you say—goes unused. People buy it aspirationally—it looks good on TV, they think they are going to have fun, play, get in shape, whatever—and then the volleyball net, tennis rackets, various exercise machines … all sit in closets and garages because most people cannot develop new habits which take a lot of effort and show results over a long period of time … or simply aren’t as fun as they seemed.
That's why I think starting a USED sporting goods store seems like such a brilliant idea for a business, that stuff is so expensive new, but much of it is almost completely unused and can be had for the taking.
Old 08-09-18, 07:19 AM

I asked the question because I believe that most of the people looking for bikes genuinely want to ride, but a lot of bikes don’t get ridden. So is it just another piece of unused excercise equipment, or can bike shops (and the industry) do a better job of selling? You REALLY think they buy what they want? Do they really want the over stuffed saddle?

So, say during the bike boom, they sold everyone these awful 10 speeds with drops. Apparently they wanted 10 speeds (who wouldn’t). The result was that a whole generation grew up thinking that bicycles were torture devices. Eventually that discomfort spawned the mountain bike craze, but most of those bikes never saw a mountain. Then the “hybrids”. See where I’m going...
No, I don't. I genuinely think most people buying a bike, like buying golf clubs or ski equipment or fly fishing gear, love the idea that they are going to regularly cycle, and then life happens and they don't. Or they dont like it. Or, no matter how perfect of a bike you pick them, won't get through breaking in their body to the sport before giving up because it is too hard.

To be completely honest, an upright hybrid is more or less what the "average" person should consider as a first bike. It gets them used to cycling in a far more natural way. As someone else mentioned, there is this farcical notion that one can't cycle long distance on an upright bike, well my first metric century was done on one. My wife still does 40 mile events on hers, a distance greater than most average people are ever going to consider. I met a guy this summer in the middle of a 6000km tour running flat bars, while it was a really nice Koga, it was still a hybrid geometry and not light.

I'm not really sure what you think people should buy, though. They don't need tortorous drop bars, they don't need hybrids, they don't need MTB, and cruisers and step thrus are just ill conceived, what would you actually sell them

Originally Posted by Maelochs
A lot of the posters here probably grew up riding bikes that weighed between 35-55 pounds. I spent a lot of years on a Schwinn Suburban (42 lbs) and never thought about the weight. And i grew up in an air with hills.
All those "English racers" and drop-bar "10-speeds" which fed the first U.S. cycling boom .... weight 35 pounds or so. Now that is considered heavy for a full-suspension big-drop mountain bike.

A 30-pound bike is not "too heavy." Because it might have a step=through frame, it needs more material to be strong enough. Because it is Not made out of high-dollar materials, that material is weighty. But most people don't want to spend $500 for a bike, let alone $1500. They want to spend $150--maybe. That is why 75 % of the people who buy bikes, buy bikes from Walmart.
Most of my bikes are still closer to the 30# mark than the 20#. The Mazama with racks and fenders is about 27#, never weighed the fatty but it has to be right at 30#, the Scott and Schwinn are about 32#. The Univega is 21#, and is my least ridden bike.

FWIW, not only can I lift them all, they all go on my roof rack. Emperically, I don't think a bike around 30# is an impediment to cycling.

That's why I think starting a USED sporting goods store seems like such a brilliant idea for a business, that stuff is so expensive new, but much of it is almost completely unused and can be had for the taking.
Eh, Ive got a chain of them near me, they aren't as glamorous as one would think. I'm convinced they only survive by also selling new equipment, most of the used stuff is geared towards children who need a new set every year while growing. Most of the adult stuff is utter crap that I'd never wear.
Old 08-09-18, 07:30 AM

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
It’s not true that people always buy what they want. They buy what they think they want, or what is available. (We have all made this mistake - it’s not wrong to make mistakes.) They really want a comfortable bike that is easy and fun to ride. In many cases they don’t buy that.
I'm reminded of the time I bought cross-country skis with metal edges on them for track skiing. Those skis were terrible! I suffered two winters before coming to my senses. People buying bicycles, power tools, golf equipment, whatever, make the same sort of mistakes.
Old 08-09-18, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
No, I don't. I genuinely think most people buying a bike, like buying golf clubs or ski equipment or fly fishing gear, love the idea that they are going to regularly cycle, and then life happens and they don't. Or they dont like it. Or, no matter how perfect of a bike you pick them, won't get through breaking in their body to the sport before giving up because it is too hard.

To be completely honest, an upright hybrid is more or less what the "average" person should consider as a first bike. It gets them used to cycling in a far more natural way. As someone else mentioned, there is this farcical notion that one can't cycle long distance on an upright bike, well my first metric century was done on one. My wife still does 40 mile events on hers, a distance greater than most average people are ever going to consider. I met a guy this summer in the middle of a 6000km tour running flat bars, while it was a really nice Koga, it was still a hybrid geometry and not light.

I'm not really sure what you think people should buy, though. They don't need tortorous drop bars, they don't need hybrids, they don't need MTB, and cruisers and step thrus are just ill conceived, what would you actually sell them

Most of my bikes are still closer to the 30# mark than the 20#. The Mazama with racks and fenders is about 27#, never weighed the fatty but it has to be right at 30#, the Scott and Schwinn are about 32#. The Univega is 21#, and is my least ridden bike.

FWIW, not only can I lift them all, they all go on my roof rack. Emperically, I don't think a bike around 30# is an impediment to cycling.

Eh, Ive got a chain of them near me, they aren't as glamorous as one would think. I'm convinced they only survive by also selling new equipment, most of the used stuff is geared towards children who need a new set every year while growing. Most of the adult stuff is utter crap that I'd never wear.
I did see a place in Sacramento advertising on CL that they had lots of used cycling equipment. They had many racks of jersies (which I DON'T need any more of) and a whole bunch of cycling shoes. The shoes really caught my attention. If I can get a nice, gently used $300 pair of SIDi's in my size for like $20-30, I'm in. I dread buying new cycling shoes because they're so expensive.
Old 08-09-18, 08:17 AM

I did see a place in Sacramento advertising on CL that they had lots of used cycling equipment. They had many racks of jersies (which I DON'T need any more of) and a whole bunch of cycling shoes. The shoes really caught my attention. If I can get a nice, gently used $300 pair of SIDi's in my size for like $20-30, I'm in. I dread buying new cycling shoes because they're so expensive.
Fair enough, if you can get gently used in your size for that big of a discount. IME, those types of stores know the value of what they have tho, and its not the fire sale some expect. And thats after taking into account the pain of finding a shoe and size that fits your foot used. Tried it with hockey skates for a while, as they're also notoriously expensive new, just never panned out

As an aside, a place to look for those is REI garage sales. They always have a pile of barely used cycling shoes at mine, some have obviously not even had cleats installed, but again, its hard to stumble on a size and style I want.
Old 08-09-18, 08:21 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Are bike shops and manufacturers selling the bikes that average people want?

By “average” I mean people who don’t cycle right now, but would given the opportunity, as well as most people who do ride.

By “want” I mean both what they think they want, and what would actually make them most happy. A lot of new buyers just don’t have the experience to really know what would suit them best, so they want an “ultra cushy comfort behemoth”, an “ultra-rad mountain bike”, or a “carbon miracle”. They just don’t know, so when it turns out to be less awesome than they think, it leaves them with a bad experience with cycling.

It seems to me that LBS sell a lot of “comfort/hybrid” type bikes, and that a lot of new riders want these, but they really aren’t what will make them happy. They need something that weighs about half as much, regardless of type/geometry/handlebars. I think Linus and some other companies are making things that would be more practical. I have nothing at all against the big guys, but sometimes I walk into a store and I see rows of tanks that I wouldn’t want to handle around the shop, let alone ride or fit in my garage. Some of those steer awful. There are also a lot of full suspension MTBs, and a few $2,000+ road bikes, but not much you would want to ride to the store with, or put in/on the car to take it to the park or wherever. Things are changing with the younger crowd, but IMO potential riders aren’t being presented with what they would actually enjoy riding. Agree/disagree?
I'd say you live in the wrong town. In Minneapolis, we have a few shops focused on bikes like Linus (no road bikes or MTBs), and most shops have something nice that isn't a tank.
Old 08-09-18, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
There's more bike choice now in various niches than there ever was. An average person walking into a bikeshop can get exactly what they want, or pretty close to it.

And at least in the shop where I used to work, we would listen to what a customer said they wanted to do on a bike and steer them in the direction we thought most appropriate, with options either way. For example, if someone was looking for just a bike to get around on, we might start by showing them a hybrid (fitness) bike and go from there. Doesn't look comfy enough, how 'bout a comfort-style bike? Looking for more of a commuter bike? Well, there's accessories, or these other models that already come stock with rack, fenders, etc.

But yeah, price is a major sticking point and there's just no getting around that -- no way a shop can sell a quality bike at department store prices. And yes, who wouldn't want a very light comfort bike with top-line components, dirt cheap... but it just doesn't happen. So people balk at a $2k carbon fitness bike.

No getting around the fact that cycling involves work, actually moving one's legs. Also, exposure to weather. Wind and hills. Traffic. For some, the reality just doesn't match their expectations so it results in either a low-mileage used bike for sale or a garage decoration. People sometimes think that maybe an ebike is what they need, since cycling is too hard, but then balk at the price, "Jeez, for the same money, I could get a decent scooter!" Yes, yes you can. Or even a decent used motorcycle.

With bikes being marketed into every niche possible, whatever someone thinks they want for a bike is generally available. Whether or not the cycling experience meets their expectations is another thing, as is what they will actually pay for what they claim they want...
Old 08-09-18, 08:35 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by jon c.
I find hybrids to be somewhat tortuous. That upright position is hard on the back and the bars cause me wrist pain in short order. Drop bars are much more comfortable. Maybe that's because I grew up with them.

And I'm the other way around. The problem is that the "average rider" is a theoretical construct that doesn't exist in the real world. Our bodies probably vary in dimensions and physiology such that the positions just fit us and our riding styles differently.
Old 08-09-18, 08:44 AM
Tragically Ignorant

BTW, lots of people get around just fine on big comfy saddles, just as has been done for over a hundred years. Butts come in a lot of shapes and sizes. I used to need a big comfy one myself until I got some muscle back there.
Old 08-09-18, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 554 Posts
Wow. I’ve never had that much reaction to any post I’ve written anywhere.

I hear what you guys are saying, but I think I failed to say (or ask) what I was trying to say (or ask). It had nothing to do with mtn vs. road, or upright vs. aggressive. Producing a nice servicable bike of any flavor is really not very expensive.

Having worked in a bike shop, I know that some people look at bikes like they look at cars or easy chairs. They don’t realize that what makes those comfortable and convenient makes bikes uncomfortable and inconvenient. You can make any kind of bike relatively lightweight and easy to handle. Weight does matter. If you can’t lift it off the floor, it’s too heavy.

It’s not true that people always buy what they want. They buy what they think they want, or what is available. (We have all made this mistake - it’s not wrong to make mistakes.) They really want a comfortable bike that is easy and fun to ride. In many cases they don’t buy that. They buy solutions to problems. Big cushy saddles aren’t necessarily what people really want, they want their rear end not to hurt. LOL You can sell them a good wide supportive saddle that is more comfortable.

I would agree that if a bike can't be lifted, it's too heavy but please tell me about a bike that can't be lifted.

I rode a city bike all over Paris that was heavier than anything I'd ever ridden. I didn't try to lift it but I'm sure I could have. I seriously doubt bike shops sell anything close that kind of weight unless it's a tandem or recumbent trike or some other oddity.

BTW, I put at least 20 miles on that bike as heavy and as upright as it was and I had a fine time. Thousands of people use them everyday. Some very fit and some obviously much less so and they all seem to manage.

For where I was and the riding I was doing I certainly would not have been as comfortable on a drop bar bike regardless of how little it weighed.

I just don't get how bike weight is so connected to satisfaction. For the average cyclist I think it means very little.
Old 08-09-18, 10:00 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
See where I’m going...

I could be wrong.
This is a good starting assumption...

You're as likely to find an "average" person on this discussion board, as you are to find a great white shark up the Mississippi River. They're both out of their element and obviously lost, and will soon succumb to the unsuitable environment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.