Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

U.S.A made bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 09:40 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Mstateglfr- I dont consider my '88 Schwinn Premis that was made in Mississippi to be better than my '89 Novara Trionfo that was made in Japan just because it was made in the USA.
And for what its worth, though they are comparable in tier/level, the Japan frame is significantly better fabricated.

Cycco- That applies more to 80s bikes than more modern bicycles, although there are outliers. Manufacturing has gotten better for US made bikes and worse for many off-shore bikes...depending on the level of bike, of course.
Well sure my example applies to the 80s...both frames I mention are from the 80s. And since the OP cites examples from the 80s and early 90s, it's applicable for me to mention frames from the 80s.

How has US manufacturing for bikes gotten better? Trek is gone. Cannondale is gone. You basically have some boutique low production(relative to the overall market) and that low end big box bike company producing stuff in South Carolina.
Not sure how some small production boutiques and a low end company = manufacturing has gotten better.

Mstateglfr- My '92 Cannondale touring frame isnt better than my Japan made Fuji touring frame from '90 just because it was made in the USA.

Cycco- I would have to disagree. My Cannondale touring bike is a far better bike than my Miyata or my daughter’s Fuji touring bike. The design is far better and the ride quality (at least compared to the Miyata) is vastly better. The same is true for my Moots YBB, my Dean mountain bike and my Dean road bike. Each one shines when it comes to performance and ride quality.
Of course you disagree that a steel frame is just as good as a Cannondale frame- you are the joker who can't disagree with Cannondale claiming comparable steel road frames weigh 8 pounds. Sorry, but your opinion on this is worthless.
My point in the earlier post was to show that the touring frame from Japan has excellent finish and is well thought out. Same goes for the Cannondale touring frame.
I'm sure your will complain of shimmy or whatever for the steel touring bikes you mentioned. And ok fine. Comparing a US made Trek 520 steel touring bike from that time period with your Miyata or my Fuji would be apples to apples then. And again, the fit and finish on all of them would be excellent. Ive ridden late 80s and early 90s 520- they are perfectly fine and not inherently better than the Japanese brands mentioned just because 520s were made in the US.

Ha, I had forgotten your absurd argument about steel competition road bikes from the early 90s having frames that weigh 8 pounds. Too funny.

The OP is discussing regular/typical level bikes and not high end boutique Moots or similar US brands.
Comparing boutique custom frames with mass production frames is clearly not apples to apples.

8# steel competition road frame- ha ha.
Old 05-29-19, 07:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
With the closing of Victory in Orlando, Florida last fall, AFAIK the last 100% made-in-USA bicycle is RBR in Alameda, California.
Old 05-29-19, 07:50 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
100% American would be a 1 or 2 speed , freewheel or fixie , with brakes..
...and no tires.
Old 05-29-19, 08:01 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well sure my example applies to the 80s...both frames I mention are from the 80s. And since the OP cites examples from the 80s and early 90s, it's applicable for me to mention frames from the 80s.
There were a lot of crappy frames made in Japan from the 80s and 90s. A Miyata 210, for example, isn’t a gem by any stretch of the imagination. There are lots of other examples from Motobecane, Univega, Peugeot, etc. I see dozens of examples per year at my local co-op. There are some gems out there but they are gems because they are rare.

How has US manufacturing for bikes gotten better? Trek is gone. Cannondale is gone. You basically have some boutique low production(relative to the overall market) and that low end big box bike company producing stuff in South Carolina.
Not sure how some small production boutiques and a low end company = manufacturing has gotten better.
And the stuff coming in from off-shore now is pretty abominable as well. Yes, the boutique low production guys are making very nice bikes. People will value Deans, Moots, Bilenky, Co-Motion, Waterford, etc because far longer than any production bike you can name because they are well made and well designed.

Of course you disagree that a steel frame is just as good as a Cannondale frame- you are the joker who can't disagree with Cannondale claiming comparable steel road frames weigh 8 pounds. Sorry, but your opinion on this is worthless.
Does your shoulder hurt? That chip is pretty heavy and must be a such a strain.

My point in the earlier post was to show that the touring frame from Japan has excellent finish and is well thought out. Same goes for the Cannondale touring frame.
And my point is that the finish means little compared to the design. Cannondale touring bikes are a better design than the steel touring bikes I’ve tried.

I'm sure your will complain of shimmy or whatever for the steel touring bikes you mentioned. And ok fine. Comparing a US made Trek 520 steel touring bike from that time period with your Miyata or my Fuji would be apples to apples then. And again, the fit and finish on all of them would be excellent. Ive ridden late 80s and early 90s 520- they are perfectly fine and not inherently better than the Japanese brands mentioned just because 520s were made in the US.
Perhaps you should ask before you assume. The problem I have with the Miyata, the 520 and the Fuji is the short chainstays and somewhat flexible frames. Heel clipping of panniers was always a problem with my Miyata because of the shorter chainstays. I also could never could climb out of the saddle on my Miyata because the frame was too flexible. I never had much problem with shimmy on the Miyata (only once) but the Cannondale is a better touring bike all around.

Ha, I had forgotten your absurd argument about steel competition road bikes from the early 90s having frames that weigh 8 pounds. Too funny.
Your memory seems to be rather short. One might say you haven’t forgotten at all.

The OP is discussing regular/typical level bikes and not high end boutique Moots or similar US brands.
Comparing boutique custom frames with mass production frames is clearly not apples to apples.
There were too many “regular/typical level bikes” made in the US even in the 80s. Cannondale was making them in the US as were some of the Schwinns. But not many others were US made. Even in the 80s many of those Schwinns were made in Taiwan.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-29-19 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-29-19, 09:33 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I've sometimes wondered why some people say "bikes", when they really are talking about frames.

Not only in this thread, but in plenty of others too. Stuff like this can be found: "I bought a new bike, and I'm going to transfer all the parts from my old bike over to it."

Modern "made in the USA" frames are finished with parts made elsewhere, and that's not a bad thing.
Old 05-29-19, 10:29 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I have pride in my planet, floating there like a warm little blue jewel in space. I occasionally have pride in my species.
Countries are ephemeral - 250 years ago, the US wasn’t a country. 250 years from now, it’ll likely be a different country, for better or worse. I was born in one country, grew up in another, and have made my home in a third. Which is my country? My point is, countries are artificial constructs, but the one constant is the rock which we all share, regardless of our individual countries

Since we are already off topic...Countries are not artificial constructs. They are man made constructs which is not artificial. And these man made constructs have very real ramifications not just for people but the environment. That's why industry loves moving to lesser developed/less regulated countries. Not only cheap labor to exploit, but resources to obtain without any regard to the environment. Same with waste-streams. This jewel is slowly turning into a pile of crap.
Old 05-29-19, 10:30 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
There were a lot of crappy frames made in Japan from the 80s and 90s. A Miyata 210, for example, isn’t a gem by any stretch of the imagination. There are lots of other examples from Motobecane, Univega, Peugeot, etc. I see dozens of examples per year at my local co-op. There are some gems out there but they are gems because they are rare.
Ross. Schwinn Chicago plant. Roadmaster. Kent thru the current BCA in South Carolina
US made frames with many(most) models being low end. This was even up into the same general time period we are discussing.
Again- its apples to oranges to compare any enter level bike from one brand with a high end bike from another brand. Its absurd to do so, yet you seem to continue to.

And the stuff coming in from off-shore now is pretty abominable as well. Yes, the boutique low production guys are making very nice bikes. People will value Deans, Moots, Bilenky, Co-Motion, Waterford, etc because far longer than any production bike you can name because they are well made and well designed.
Comparing a handmade steel frame from Japan like Kalavinka, Nagasawa, Toyo, Panasonic POS, Cherubim, etc to handmade frames in the US. They arent close to abominable. And I suggest those brands because they are similar to boutique brands in the US.
Again, try apples to apples.

As for claiming the stuff coming in from off-shore is pretty abominable, please clarify with some details/examples since probably 95% of new frames in the US are made off-shore. Again, comparing stock mass production frames to boutique frames is simply absurd, so try not to.
https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/mcd-frames/ - what is pretty abominable about this?
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion - what is pretty abominable about this?
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/questelite.html - what is pretty abominable about this?

Does your shoulder hurt? That chip is pretty heavy and must be a such a strain.
Nah, it was just such a funny comment to see you defend, since its baseless and flat out inaccurate. Felt it was worth mentioning again since, you know, its so funny.

And my point is that the finish means little compared to the design. Cannondale touring bikes are a better design than the steel touring bikes I’ve tried.
What part of the design is better? I havent noticed any lacking design as my steel touring frame is plenty stiff for me plus gear(about 270#), has long enough chainstays for my size 14 shoes to not clip bags, has all the attachments i need, and is stable both loaded and unloaded. I may just have low standards, but Im not sure what else in terms of design is needed.
Oh, my Cannondale touring frame is the same- stable, stiff enough, has attachments, and long enough chainstays.

Perhaps you should ask before you assume. The problem I have with the Miyata, the 520 and the Fuji is the short chainstays and somewhat flexible frames. Heel clipping of panniers was always a problem with my Miyata because of the shorter chainstays. I also could never could climb out of the saddle on my Miyata because the frame was too flexible. I never had much problem with shimmy on the Miyata (only once) but the Cannondale is a better touring bike all around.
The Miyata 1000 I have seen had 450mm chainstays. My Fuji made touring frame has 450mm chainstays. My Cannondale touring frame has 18" chainstays. If that 7mm difference is needed by you, then man you really are the outlier since even my feet work for 450mm chainstays without issue.
As for flexible frame, thats partly what I meant by saying shimmy- it can be due to frame trail and due to being flexible. Different thing, similar feeling. I am 240# and dont think my splined Ishiwata regular sized tubing flexes too much, even in a 64cm frame. Once again, this is a preference issue and to claim a frame is inferior due to not liking it being flexible for you is nuts. It could be perfectly great for someone else your size.

Your memory seems to be rather short. One might say you haven’t forgotten at all.
I had forgotten, until you decided to reply to one of my posts, then i remembered. See how that works?

I am clearly in the rabbit hole of another cycco discussion.
Old 05-29-19, 11:49 AM

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 86az135i
Since we are already off topic...Countries are not artificial constructs. They are man made constructs which is not artificial. And these man made constructs have very real ramifications not just for people but the environment. That's why industry loves moving to lesser developed/less regulated countries. Not only cheap labor to exploit, but resources to obtain without any regard to the environment. Same with waste-streams. This jewel is slowly turning into a pile of crap.
I disagree - in this context, "man-made" is the very definition of artificial. Look what happened in, for example, the Balkans and the Middle East after WWII - people with little more than maps and rulers created countries out of whole cloth - how are these "countries" not artificial? For a few million dollars 150 years ago, Alaska went from being part of Russia to being part of the US. Does the planet really care whether the Romanov Eagle or the Stars and Stripes flies over that chunk of land? Some time in the future, likely in the blink of an eye, geologically-speaking, we'll have rendered this planet uninhabitable to us. The planet will still be here, changed somewhat, but still going, and we, and our borders and flags, will be gone like yesterdays dust off a baseball. However, I do agree that countries have real - and frequently negative - consequences for our shared habitat. By bickering over national priorities, we ignore global priorities. We're arguing about who gets what deckchair while the ship is slowly sinking away beneath us.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-29-19, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the 1987 Cannondale still running fine?
Old 05-29-19, 07:13 PM

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gnappi
I have three U.S made bikes, a Schwinn 564 "Paramount" from the 80's, all stock, a Cannondale Criterium 600 stock except the wheels, and a Cannondale F300 soon to be used for backwater trail fishing.

I am enamored of older maybe not the highest performance bikes, but I'm not and never have been one to enjoy the benefits of a few of pounds loss in bike weight that I can gain easily during lunch at Chick-Fil-A :-)

So, I have never bought or had need for a bike made overseas, and I'm more than a bit surprised how many bikers look down on some of these beautiful machines, and value them so little.

As it it, it's likely my heirs will deal with that at a garage sale after I'm gone. Till then my older made in the U.S.A bikes get plenty of attention from other riders maybe even more than more modern bikes.

Reading these forums it seems as if I'm quite the exception to the rule of bike ownership.
In general today about 80% or so frames are made in taiwan. only custom/boutique makers make stuff in the US/EU.
Of the rest about 15% is made in China.
and then we have about 5% made outside of taiwan/china.

when talking components/parts i guess about 95% is made in taiwan. in taichung. everybody that lives in taichung makes stuff for bikes. and they are over 1 million people there. they only make frames and bike parts thats all they do.

Then we have boutique companies like paul and white industries that makes everything in house in the US and always have been. and they also cost thereafter!! but you get customer supports 20 years after and durability right out of the box. so I say its worth it. these companies maybe make up 1% of the component market.

then we have the shimano premium segment like xtr and dura ace, those are made in japan. and I estimate them to account for like 1-5% of the component market. because many people want the best.

-------------

in general bike production moved to japan/taiwan/china about 1990-1995 or so. all of it.

Last edited by carlos danger; 05-29-19 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 07:16 PM

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
in general bike production moved to japan/taiwan/china about 1990-1995 or so. all of it.
Old 05-30-19, 01:21 AM

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Its kind of sad that the Taiwanese Sturmey Archer are better than the English hubs. Do you think that Brexit will improve the quality of English manufacturing and return those manufacturing jobs to the UK?
Sturmey Archer were generally better made in England for most of their life. I read about Sturmey Archer as have a few bikes with SA hubs and the metallurgy quality was better on the English hubs and generally the 3 speed hubs were better than the Taiwanese quality for most of their life however at the end SA in England were trying to cut costs to compete and the quality fell as they tried to reduce the unit price to be competitive. There has been issues with modern SA hubs and I've seen comments from a engineer about the Brompton 3 speed hub which while still an excellent hub is not quite as good as the older 3 speed hubs. However the 3 speed hub design is an inherently simple design that performs very well whether you buy a SA England, SA Taiwan or Sachs, SRAM or Shimano Nexus they are very good hubs. However I can't make such a comparison for the hubs with more gears. Quite possible the 4 or 5 speed English hubs aren't as good as the later versions probably due to design revision more than anything. Generally once you go above 3 gears with hubs the reliability and durability drops off considerably unless you buy a Rohloff but that needs a regular oil change to remain reliable and still not as reliable as the simple 3 speed hubs I've read.

I don't think Brexit is so much about restoring British industry it's more about border controls and not having a trading deficit with Europe that we have to pay a membership to be part of. I like being part of Europe but the financial data of being part of the EU is an absolute disaster. Manufacturing in Britain is extremely expensive whether we are inside or outside of Europe. You have to understand membership of the EU has cost cost the UK about half a trillion pounds since the 1970s and with the compound interest that actually makes up a huge percentage of our national debt and that's before you even factor in the damage of the trade deficit and many EU rules that were unfair to the UK. Even so the thought of all the mess that would be caused by leaving the EU is causing many to have second thoughts and our incompetent politicians are dreading dealing with it who probably are completely incapable of managing it. Britain is going to get a lot poorer which ever path we finally choose as our debts will catch up with us. I guess there is at least long term hope with leaving the EU that things will improve I honestly can't see that by remaining in the EU.
Old 06-07-19, 11:18 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Here you go, "built with pride in the USA".

BCA TriMatic 3 speed coaster brake folder. 100% working order. (and s-l-o-w)

I sold it to a co-worker for $10. Yes, handle bars got spun 360 after I repaired a rear tube leak.

Old 06-07-19, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

I sold it to a co-worker for $10. Yes, handle bars got spun 360 after I repaired a rear tube leak.
Not insanely expensive.